• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Buprenorphine Withdrawals

Hey I am sorry to hear you had a rough time trying to quit using buprenorphine. I'm going to merge your post into the Buprenorphine Withdrawal thread.

addie jo, it is highly recommended to taper under 1mg before stopping Suboxone, preferably to around 0.2mg or so, actually. Anything higher and you likely will experience prolonged w/d symptoms...

the longer the taper the better

the smaller the dose the taper gets the better

have patience.....

Try to get down to as little dose as possible. And i mean ridiculous little, like .1 milligrams. This should minimize W/D. Try to get something from your sub doctor, or primary care physician to help you sleep. Just something temporary for while you are in withdrawals. The W/D pain is bad enough, and the last thing you need is to go 3-4 days without sleep. It's gona be tough, no matter how low you taper. Try to do it sometime when you have some time off of work. Maybe christmas time would be good? It sucks having to go through that during the holidays, but it's better than trying to go to work and stuff while you're in W/D. I recently had a similar experience man, I made it about a week and said screw it and got some more sub, but I'm trying to taper lower and try again. It sucks, but ya gotta do it sometime

IMO id rather CT a bad dope habit then a lengthy 4mg+ bupe habit in a HEART beat

yes, agreed....but thats why someone with any sense would taperr to around 0.2mg's and stay at that dose for about a month before jumping off. That would definitely be less intense than dope WD's.

at least its bupe and not dope......

I have to disagree. IME, bupe is a worse withdrawal if you take it for a while. It was very helpful to me when I took it for 2 days after a dope binge, but I would not do a long taper again.

This time around I just did cold turkey off the dope. A couple of days of not eating well, and some restless legs was all I experienced. Not bad. Better than 5 days of no sleep and losing 15 lbs from not being able to eat or keep anything down for a week.

I have to disagree. IME, bupe is a worse withdrawal if you take it for a while. It was very helpful to me when I took it for 2 days after a dope binge, but I would not do a long taper again.

This time around I just did cold turkey off the dope. A couple of days of not eating well, and some restless legs was all I experienced. Not bad. Better than 5 days of no sleep and losing 15 lbs from not being able to eat or keep anything down for a week.

as long as you are able to adjust to living a sober life quickly after you detox that is probably the best method for you. unfortunately though if you are having problems with urges, thoughts of using, etc.....it most definitely would be better to have a long maintanence to re0adjust your brain to living sober. But since you didnt mention any of those problems im sure that a quick cold turkey detox is definitely the best for you.
I truly envy people who have the will power that you have. Especially if you have been using for a long time and then go cold turkey. I wouldnt be able to keep my mind off of opiates if I did a quick detox. Thats why the suboxone worked so well for me and after a few months I was 100% not interested in using opiates....the thought actually disgusts me now...and I dont even know why, but im glad.

i meant that, at least bupe starts to reinforce good habits....

like not going to the block every day

as long as you are able to adjust to living a sober life quickly after you detox that is probably the best method for you. unfortunately though if you are having problems with urges, thoughts of using, etc.....it most definitely would be better to have a long maintanence to re0adjust your brain to living sober. But since you didnt mention any of those problems im sure that a quick cold turkey detox is definitely the best for you.
I truly envy people who have the will power that you have. Especially if you have been using for a long time and then go cold turkey. I wouldnt be able to keep my mind off of opiates if I did a quick detox. Thats why the suboxone worked so well for me and after a few months I was 100% not interested in using opiates....the thought actually disgusts me now...and I dont even know why, but im glad.

I did the old "change of location". That made it a lot easier to stay away from it. At first, whenever I returned home I had already made plans to cop. But after a while I stopped making the arrangements, and soon I wasn't even getting high when I returned home which is where there is a lot of dope.

i still have not erased my numbers on my cell....

thats bad news for us all....

i still have not erased my numbers on my cell....

thats bad news for us all....

You should really do that man. It actually helps. I mean, you're less likely to score some dope if you don't have your hooks number in your phone. If you have no way to contact them, it will be more difficult to find some. I deleted all my dope hooks from my phone over a year ago, and I have a feeling that if i didn't i would have tried to score some dope at some point

Day 13 of Sub w/d

I am on day 13 of Sub withdrawal and still miserable. Jumping out of my skin, fatigue etc. The runs are killed with Immodium. I am having limited success with some herbs like valerian root, passion flower, melatonin and also regular vitamins and benadryl.

I jumped off cold turkey from 16mg/day and had been taking for 10 months. Does anyone know how long this will last?:(:(

Any other suggestions to ease my misery would be welcome as well.

Thanks!

^^^
You should start feeling better soon. Be aware that immodium can prolong withdrawl as it an opiate that doesnt cross the blood brain barrier. I have heard 2-3 weeks for sub withdrawl. Can I ask why you jumped off at such a high dose? That must be rough!!

You should really do that man. It actually helps. I mean, you're less likely to score some dope if you don't have your hooks number in your phone. If you have no way to contact them, it will be more difficult to find some. I deleted all my dope hooks from my phone over a year ago, and I have a feeling that if i didn't i would have tried to score some dope at some point

I can see how deleting certain contacts numbers from your phone can be very helpful in your healing/detoxing/getting clean process, but for me, it was completely unneccesary. the very minute i started suboxone, I NEVER had an urge or a need to use illicit drugs like heroin again. Not at all. The suboxone took away ALL of my cravings and since I learned how to use small doses to get me small amounts of euphoria daily, along with energy and ant-depressant properties, the suboxone was a literal lifesaver. I have not been tempted whatsoever to call my dealers for some dope.

I would have deleted them if they were just my dealers, but they were also my friends, and also my connects for some weed usually. And I didnt want to end a friendship just because they use to sell me dope. But I know that for alot of people they just cant handle staying friends with a dealer and staying clean, but I have found it completely easy. No problemo. They respect that I dont use, just like they dont use(they just sell) and we just chill, they dont try to force me to use or try to sell it to me in any way. In the 6 months since I have been clean, I have had ZERO problems with still even hangin out with my dealers. I guess im just lucky and I taught myself how to use suboxone in the most effective way(different than what doctors would prescribe) and it worked fantastic for me. I dont know where I would be without it....wait, i do.....in jail or in a coffin.

I am on day 13 of Sub withdrawal and still miserable. Jumping out of my skin, fatigue etc. The runs are killed with Immodium. I am having limited success with some herbs like valerian root, passion flower, melatonin and also regular vitamins and benadryl.

I jumped off cold turkey from 16mg/day and had been taking for 10 months. Does anyone know how long this will last?:(:(

Thanks!

I've been addicted for 5-6 years and got up to 3 OC80's a day. I never needed even close to 16mgs a day of sub to hold me. I started at 8mgs and after 6 days I was down to 2mgs a day. In 2 weeks time I got down to 1mg every 24 hours with very little trouble. The mental part was tough but the physical side was nothing. You really should have weened a heck of alot lower.

yeah, it really is relatively easy to get down to a low dose, at least if you have not been on a super-high dose for a long period of time. (maybe then too, but i have no experience with that). i used to do somewhere b/t 1.5-2 80s every day for over a year and could definitely do more at times, and the most sub i have ever taken in a day is like 3 mgs, just kind of messing around w/ it to see if i could catch a buzz. 1-2mg has always been sufficient switching from a full agonist, and i drop to .5-1mg within a day or 2 with no real problems at all.

These tips can help you withdrawal off opiates much easier:

Memantine really works well. It is expensive but you only need low doses, and it lasts a very long time, so a packet lasts for many months. It is avail non-prescription on the internet.

Amitriptyline helps with opiate withdrawal a lot too. Easy to get from doctors. it helps incease Glutamate Transporters, so lowering Glutamate levels in your spine and brain. Opiates do the opposite to your spine and brain. Google "Amitriptyline Glutamate transporter" to see what I mean.

One really important fact most people forget coming off opiates: there are many files on ScienceDirect saying DO NOT DRINK ANY CAFFEINE WHILE WITHDRAWING FROM OPIATES, yet most people drink caffeine while in opiate withdrawal. I can tell you from experience, it makes a huge difference to the intensity of the opiate withdrawal. That means even no chocolate!

The more you smoke cigarettes, the worse the withdrawals.

Alcohol will increase the withdrawal symptoms in the long run, by up regulating NMDA NR2B receptors. So no alcohol while withdrawing.

Pregabalin helps alot, or Gabapentin.

Clonidine helped me a lot.

I stayed away from Benzo's cause I have seen them wreck people, but they would help.

Thanks!

Kratom! You're missing the most important herb of all...

I wish more people have tried kratom in w/d, and could vouch for how well it works... I hate to sound like a broken record, but I have never seen anything close to as good as kratom for coming off opiates (not just for me; for almost everyone that has tried it). Even opiates that aren't very similar, such as morphine, will still be helped considerably by kratom. The thing that kratom gives you that loperamide or any other w/d "cure" does not give: Energy!