• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Quitting heroin...

n00bgod

Bluelighter
I went cold turkey after 8 months of every day/every other day use (snorting). Lately I have been maintaining off 1-2 $20 packs but my tolerance makes me need around 3 to get noddin. These past 48 hours have been the longest I have been off dope since i started, and my w/d's are fucking weird as hell.

CRAVINGS
restlessness
minor leg pains
cant sleep (probably all in my head)
feel like i kinda have the flu (im no pussy, and im fightin thru it)

Im not getting the sweats and i can eat. I was told I'd be in for a lot worse experience, and my symptoms seem somewhat mild compared to what i've read on here.

Do some people just get lucky? Im tired of not having any money, fiending, and having to lie to my family. I knew the last time I got high was gonna be my last even on the way to cop it. Its true, nothing good can come from using heroin.

I've had a number of runs with heroin, and am getting over my last one. I'm still using occasionally, but stopped long enough to break my physical dependence on it. That being said, my last term of withdrawal was similar to your own.

I expected to feel much worse than I did, and surprisingly had no trouble eating. I did have liquid shit, but not diarrhea, as in I only shit once or twice max per day. I also had little trouble sleeping despite going without taking dramamine for sleep for the first time I've ever gone through WD.

I'd say since you're on day 2 of withdrawal, things are likely going to get better from now on, not worse. However, don't be surprised if you feel just as bad tomorrow as you do today. If need-be, take dimenhydrinate or diphenhydramine (dramamine or benadryl respectively) before bed to help you sleep. To combat any stomach problems, try loperamide (immodium), although you'll probably need more than the recommended dosage (10mg helped out with the physical withdrawal immensely for me in the past). Most of all, keep it up. It's easy to say, but when you get the overwhelming craving to use, just remember how shitty you feel now, and how much it sucked having to blow thousands of dollars just to keep from being sick. Just remind yourself that you don't want to live like that.

Good luck bud, and keep on truckin'.

~CTdopeLove

i fought to get to sleep last night, didnt end up falling asleep till around 6 am. i feel shitty today, and my cravings are thru the roof. im gonna call my old NA sponsor from back in the day and try to get to a meeting.

my parents want me to go to the methadone clinic here monday. i dont know yet

I've considered methadone in the past, but they don't call them "liquid handcuffs" for no reason. Good luck going on vacation, or getting a new job where you can't make your clinic dosing schedule daily.

I think if you need a maintenance drug, you'd be better off seeking out buprenorphine. It may be expensive if you don't have insurance, but you get a prescription rather than having to go to a clinic everyday. Also, there is no "high" from taking suboxone once you are dependant on it, unlike methadone. Also, when on bupe, it is difficult and time consuming to relapse, as you have to skip taking the bupe for at least a full day, essentially going into withdrawal before you're able to get high on a full agonist like heroin.

Just my $0.02.

~CTdopeLove

id agree - dont go thru the methadone bullshit
suboxone really helps and u can b off it in 2 weeks with only minor withdrawals after that
i went into detox with full-blown withdrawals from heroin/codeine/morphine (the runs, puking, runny nose and eyes, pounding heart, etc) and they gave me the choice of the methadone program or suboxone and i was surprised at how easy the suboxone treatment was
it was so easy i went thru it three times (only cos i kept relapsing)
its gd to hear u go to NA - that really helps if u work at it
ive recently decided to start going to NA again
hang in there.....it only gets better!

are you shitting me? I really hope you plan on doing the methadone detox.

you haven't even being using for 1 year i wounldn't even think about doing maintenance.
Quiting heroin is a walk in the park compared to quitting 'done.

just wait man the W/Ds will get worse and worse the longer you use.

quit now while you still can bro, that monkey on your back will turn into a gorilla if you keep feeding it.

Last edited:
good luck dude,. and keep up the hope! i thought i was never going to be able to stop. i kept getting a day or 2 clean and no matter how hard i tried i found myself driving across the bridge to go cop a gram. its not like i wanted to but i couldn't not do it.. if that makes any sense.. anyways, the only way i could do it was to let someone i knew a trusted know that i was quitting, and stayed with them while i went through my withdrawls. i've been clean over a month now and i feel much better. i dont know if you're into it but the only way i've been able to stay clean is with a program of recovery and by that i mean AA and NA. going to meetings and getting a sponsor. it might sound cheesy but if you really want to stop you'll go to any lengths to do it, and i know when i tried it on my own i couldnt do it. a side note- alot of people ask my why i go to AA if my problem is with heroin, and the reason is that there are much more AA meetings every week, there are more people.. its the same program and half the people there arent there for alcohol either. ive also noticed theres more long term sobriety found in AA mettings compared to NA meetings.

little update:

okay well against yalls and my sponsors decisions i went to the methadone clinic today. started me on 40mg and they are supposedly bumpin me to 60mg 2morrow (but 40mg does the job perfect and im going to tell them not to up me because thats retarded and i really am tryin to stay clean). its just the fact that when im sittin at my house detoxing to the point where i want to die...i cant image bein sober for more than a couple of more hours. its like bein thirsty...until you get a drink the pull towards gettin it just gets worse as time goes by. if i wouldnt have done this...i probably would be loaded right now.

i feel a THOUSAND percent better. its weird, im not high, but honestly my cravings are gone and i actually feel okay about myself. withdrawls are almost 100% gone, i finally have an appetite, and the fact that i CANT get high off heroin now makes it easier to not think about.

absent - yeah support groups are the fuckin key. im doin 90 NA meetings in 90 days and im buildin my support group up as the days go by...helps talkin to people who are just as sick. i have to go to alot of relapse prevention/orientation groups at the clinic (but they seemed like a bunch of schemin fiends up there so i dont know about that)

day at a time

edit: oh yeah, the serious physical withdrawls didnt hit until day 3 for me. ive gotten maybe 4 hours of sleep in the past 5 days. agh

today, i quit heroin

kind of funny, this being my first post and all(lurker), but i finally got on the road to recovery today to quitting heroin. after telling my parents last night, which was easily the hardest thing i've ever done, i met with a doctor today and got put on a suboxone detox program.
I had tried quitting cold turkey several times, but by the 3rd day I always felt so terrible i'd push off again. I had a 2-3 bag a day habit (black tar), and it really feels great to finally start getting shit back on track again, not to mention that the majority of my real friends are ecstatic. good luck to anyone in the same boat as I am, and I'd suggest telling a loved one about your problem before you try and kick the habit. it feels like an enormous weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

thats awesome man, it is a tough road that many of us have walked before, or will walk one day. its hard at first, but do it one day at a time. i know that sounds cliched, and it is lol, but its true.

stay on the road man, heroin leads you nowhere positive. good luck.

Congrats! Suboxone should help you immensely. What doseage are you on?

Hoss said:
Congrats! Suboxone should help you immensely. What doseage are you on?

well right now I'm still working on the dosage with my doctor, but so far I've taken 8mg as the initial dose, and it has definitely made a world of difference. I imagine ill end up taking another 4-8mg before I go to sleep tonight.

im on day 6 of quittin heroin

day 2 of methadone maintenance

telling my parents was deff. the hardest part because i could tell it hurt them, a LOT. my mom/stepmom were both not sleeping/having physical sickness because they were so worried about me.

and yeah, all my real friends are ecstatic. although one of my best friends was begging me to take him down there on the way home from a party because he was "fiending and i know you know what its like, what the fuck man?". i turned around and dropped him back off at the party - and i still have my sobriety.

keep it up

n00bgod said:
im on day 6 of quittin heroin

day 2 of methadone maintenance

Another "congrats" indeed - telling the parents is definitely the hardest part in many cicrumstances, so feel proud that you made the right choice and are on the path to an easier existence. Keep it up!