• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Law school application addendum question

Under no circumstances should you disclose any history of mental illness, substance abuse, or anything else that is HIPPA protected.

Under no circumstances should you disclose any history of mental illness, substance abuse, or anything else that is HIPPA protected.

This. It is your right to retain privacy of your medical conditions (and yes, addiction does count). The stigma surrounding mental illness even in this day and age is astonishing.

Nail the LSAT. I haven't taken it (yet) but can probably dig something up that might be of help to you - will PM if so.

Somewhat unsolicited: have you worked for a law firm? If you haven't, I highly recommend not just for the experience, but the resources.

I do not necessarily agree with this. I think in certain circumstances a history of mental illness and/or substance abuse that you have overcame can be very beneficial in the admissions process.

The trick here, though, is your ability to provide bona fide evidence that you HAVE overcame said illnesses.

Admissions officers can be a little more progressive than you'd think, especially if you have the numbers.

At the end of the day, they are going to offer enrollment to those people that offer two things:

1. Strong numbers
2. Mental tougness

And when I say mental toughness, I should qualify that by saying law schools want to offer admission to those people that won't fuck around in school and will graduate. Rate of attriition helps their rankings.

It's TRICKY, and I would proceed with caution and would definitely recommend seeking the advice of a good pre-law counselor, but you can absolutely work any past illnesses you have to your favor in the admissions process.

*I have some experience in this area as I am a recent law school graduate.

What does your application look like? Does it specifically ask about criminal convictions?

Bottom line: If they ask for specific info then you have to provide it, if they don't, then don't provide it.

Well, I'm not actually applying until next year - to begin in August 2010 - so I don't have any specific applications in front of me yet. Plus I don't have any convictions - I'm worried about what Tappanzee's talking about.

When I do, I'll be applying for a few of the T14 universities, so whether to disclose or not could be a make-or-break issue.

But at least I've got plenty of time to mull it over before then.

They should have an application up on their site, if they do give it a quick once over and see what specifics they ask for, this way you know what you're working with.

Study your ASS off for the LSAT. People will tell you this over and over but it really is the key to getting into the school you want. Also, don't depend on LSAT practice tests. I did much better on the practice ones than the actual test. I might have been unlucky but I've heard the similar sentiments from other law students (I'm a 1L).

Also, do yourself a favor, shell out the few hundred bucks and take a LSAT class. It will make a world of difference. If you have any specific questions regarding applications (headache and a half), etc. feel free to PM me. I went through the very annoying and confusing process recently so I might be able to help. :)

Also, I'm not too aware of what standards are allowed entrance in regards to past histories. I assume it is a preponderance of LSAT score, GPA, time in between application and the record, and the record itself. I'm thinking most people don't put expunged records on their applications unless they're specifically requested in the application. I know the law school I'm currently attending didn't ask for expunged records... just convicted crimes. If you have a record and they ask for it, don't hold it back. There is NO way they will accept you if you lie on your application while there IS a chance they'll accept minor priors.

In my personal experience I know at least one of my classmates had some sort of charge in his youth (not too sure about the specifics, I didn't want to ask too much) but he still got in. I *think* he was suggesting it got expunged but he wasn't sure. ::shrug:: Also, one of my classmates outright admitted in front of all in her class to having 17 (YES, 17) speeding tickets on her record. She can't be over 24... I was kind of blown away. Haha. Anyway, perhaps that gives those of you who are weary about acceptance due to their past some breathing room (?). Good luck. :)

Hell, I had a fellow classmate incur an aggravated assault charge against a POLICE OFFICER during our 2L year and he still landed a 6 figure job....lol.

And I agree with the above poster about the LSAT. If I were you, I would actually look for a private tutor who hit 168+.

Also, for logic games, there are some books related specifically to those types of puzzles. You can definitely pull off 24 or 25 right on that section, alleviating pressure on the other sections.

I can't tell you how muich money you can save if you kill the LSAT....we're talking TENS of thousands of dollars.

Hell, I had a fellow classmate incur an aggravated assault charge against a POLICE OFFICER during our 2L year and he still landed a 6 figure job....lol.

Ha, that's funny - the first lawyer I ever had said that experience with the legal system is still experience!

I've got all the old LSAT tests, and someone who recently entered law school gave me all of her books. Previously, I had just one copy that covered all topics, but she gave me like eight books that have different levels of practice for each of the individual sections. Talk about a nice gift.

I forgot I started this thread, and obviously clicked on it out of interest lol. My plans have changed, actually, regarding law school. I want to go work for either the finance/accounting department of a great company for about 4-6 years (I'm 24 right now), or even just go work for a really great company in any department for that amount of time. Then, I want to go to a truly awesome law school - not for the salary afterward, but to be surrounded by awesome minds, awesome professors, and a historically rich campus for three years. I will definitely ace the LSAT, but I need to get more mature before I can truly add value to a fantastic law school and get more than my money's worth out of the education.

I used to be concerned about making all of this money, but now I want to go to a best fit law school, even if I get into a better school. One of my friends is a 2L at Harvard, and I never thought I'd adopt his philosophy which is verbatim "I don't care if I don't pay off my debt until I'm 70 - I want to do something meaningful with my life."