• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

what's wrong with diet sodas?

captainballs

Bluelighter
I drink a lot of diet coke and diet dr. pepper because I think they taste great, and they give me a pretty good buzz. Is there something about them that people should know, that makes them worse or not any better than regular sodas?

They are much much worse.

Diet Coke contains aspartame. I've heard (not saying it's true) that commercial airline pilots are forbidden to ingest Diet Coke before working.

Read "Aspartame (Nutrasweet) - Is It Safe?" by H.J. Roberts and you will never want to ingest another diet soda.

Stick to the normal varieties if you must indulge.

They give me a migraine (anything with aspartame). That's the only sign I need that they're not good for my body.

Last edited:
aspartame is probably not good for you, in terms of carcinogenesis. some of the rat studies don't look too pretty. some of them look fine, but who wants to chance it? don't replace one vice with another.

IIRC, aspartame metabolizes to formaldehyde. The quantity, though, is likely benign (unless you pound that shit in gallons).

ebola

I never drank em cause I think they taste like shit, but damn, I didn't know all this shit.

LiquidMethod said:
I've heard (not saying it's true) that commercial airline pilots are forbidden to ingest Diet Coke before working.

If that is true, what is the reasoning behind it?

the cancer rat studies administered wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more than any human (pound for pound) would ever ingest in a year

cutting out sodas is IMO the best way to lose weight

think about it 3 cokes a day thats 120 grams sugar thats nearly 500 calories you cut out by drinking diet sodas

IMO significantly cutting your chances of heart disease and stroke is better than minutely reducing the risk cancer

although some studies show children under 12 shouldn't drink it because it might interfere with growth or something

I drink diet soda when I absolutely must have it because I do not like ingesting sugar and high fructose corn syrup.

atlas said:
tiny amounts of aspartame > colossal amounts of High Fructose Corn Syrup.

COULD NOT BE MORE TRUE! I've read all the research on aspartame and all the artificial sweetners, and the conclusive evidence really points to the safeness of aspartame (in moderation) vs the sugar/corn syrup of regular soda.

You'd be best off not consuming more than one soda a day either way. If the concern is losing weight, drop soda off the list all together because the carbonation filling you up then leaving your body screws with your sense of hunger altogether.

Everything in moderation of course.

ya, when I'm more healthy and physically active, I find myself craving water, and not liking sodas very much at all.

I don't understand why people drink fizzy drinks. If I need a buzz I'll have a triple espresso or a pot of strong tea, not some half arsed fizzy drink. If I want to hydrate I drink water, if I want to get drunk I drink beer or, on the odd ocasion, mix bourbon with ginger-ale. Fizzy drinks are shit tasting and shit for your health.

Fizzy drinks are satisfying and yummy and refreshing especially when you live in a hot and humid country. I'd rather drink an ice cold diet soda than a HOT drink eeew!

PS. I treat myself to a diet soda maybe once every two weeks lol :p I only consume massive amounts of H20 daily for the past year.

Last edited:
Haven't taken any soda in maybe 7-8 years or more. Guess I kinda lost the taste for it after they removed it from my high school.

As for fizziness, I can only stand some acqua frizzante on a hot day in Italy. But it makes me feel strange.

The idea of aspartame doesn't sit well with me. Even though people take small amounts of it, they take a lot of small amounts on a regular basis. My grandparents are diabetic and dump that stuff in their coffee and take diet sodas. It's disturbing.

I have probably tried a "sugar-free" product once or twice in my life, and I wasn't comfortable with it. In fact, I'd rather take something with a bit of white sugar (also a rarity for me) than aspartame.

ebola? said:
IIRC, aspartame metabolizes to formaldehyde. The quantity, though, is likely benign (unless you pound that shit in gallons).

ebola

not to mention the sodium benzoate that breaks down to benzene.

both sodas are bad for you. both contain sodium benzoate, and the diet has aspartame while the regular has high fructose corn syrup.

Even though people take small amounts of it, they take a lot of small amounts on a regular basis.

that's how you get illnesses in the long run.