• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

what's wrong with diet sodas?

Divine Winds, that page is filled with utter bullshit. Some choice quotes, showing a complete lack of understanding of chemistry or biology:

So, I jumped on the internet and did a search for it and found your article. In the meantime I was heaving and feeling even worse. Well, I am allergic to chlorine, as well as having a liver that doesn't function very well (I take a natural supplement called "Lipogen" for liver support as prescribed by my ND), and when I saw what you had to say about sucralose, I figured that was what was causing it.

Hello! Allergic to chlorine atoms themselves?

According to Consumers Research Magazine "Some concern was raised about sucralose being a chlorinated molecule. Some chlorinated molecules serve as the basis for pesticides such as D.D.T., and accumulate in body fat. However, Johnson & Johnson emphasized that sucralose passes through the body unabsorbed."

What do DDT [4,4'-(2,2,2-trichloroethane-
1,1-diyl)bis(chlorobenzene)] and sucralose [1,6-dichloro-1,6-dideoxy-BETA-D-fructofuranosyl-4-chloro-4-deoxy-alpha-D-galactopyranoside] have in common? Carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, and chlorine atoms?

I don't think these people realize the difference between atoms and molecules.

as usual enlightened but crazy johny Mercola makes some funny links and writes to convince the masses

removing the crap, there is still the fact that few studies exist, and it has up to 2% synthetic metabolites, yet another accumulation of exogoneous, cumulative and cross linking molecules

7 letters is getting closer, but what we really want is 6 (s-t-e-v-i-a) ;)

>>P.S. phosphoric acid in colas and other soft drinks leeches calcium out of your bones and teeth.>>

To my knowledge, the amount in colas is so small as to be insignificant.

ebola

ebola, the effect of drinking it daily combined with low calcium intake could be very significant.

It looks like you know more than me.
Is there a safety cut-off in terms of quantity of soda?

(not that this matters to me. Daily soda intake isn't my thing.)

ebola

Coolio said:
ebola, the effect of drinking it daily combined with low calcium intake could be very significant.

Heh... low calcium intake is one of the last things in the world that *this* cheese-a-holic... and carrying too many pounds, in part, because of that... needs to worry about. I think I'll stick with my diet Dr Pepper and keep THAT particular load of 600 extra calories out of my diet.

cya,
john

>>600 extra calories>>

People really do like to have A LOT of soda in a sitting, don't they?

ebola

ebola? said:
>>600 extra calories>>

People really do like to have A LOT of soda in a sitting, don't they?

ebola

Well, if you figure a 12oz can of soda is 200 calories; when you allow for ice taking up some space that would otherwise be occupied by soda, a 44oz Super Big Gulp from 7/11 comes out to about three cans worth... hence 600 calories.

That makes doing away with the calories a good idea in my book. And yes, I really do like (some) sodas for the taste.

cya,
john

>>if you figure a 12oz can of soda is 200 calories>>

It's not...it's more like 160 or so. But, regardless, there's no way I could stomach 44ish oz. of soda in a sitting. I'm a bit surprised that some people can.

ebola

i take "soda" as a drug... i will only drink it for the caffiene content... never to hydrate or to quench thirst... ugh! and therefore, i save it for celabrations - specifically when i can't get better drugs....

I don't even have refined white sugar at home, i buy raw sugar, which is still disgustingly processed as it is... i'm looking out for pressed cane sugar... which is made (to vasty oversimplify here) by compressing sugar cane to get the sugar syrup out and then it is dried... anyway, it's the closest thing to actual sugar you will get, and though it's high in calories... your body can process it so much easier than that toxic scum they pass off as sugar or sweetener these days.

I have also read a number of times (though i have no proof through a study that i can be bothered citing) that artificial sweeteners make you crave sugar... so you either have a diet cola followed by a chocolate bar, or a diet cola, followed by another diet cola, followed by another... etc etc... to try to sate your body's desire for sugar.... perhaps it's my cynical mind hard at work, but that just screams of a manufacturer's dream... a product that makes you crave the thing you are using their product to replace...

if you're trying to be "Healthy" then you should try to eat food with as little processing as possible - and this includes sugar IMO. If you're just trying to LOOK healthy (ie, slim) then go ahead and have artificial sweetners.

PS - i like the idea of carbonating water and adding fruit juice... i must give that a try! thanks! Plus, it gives me a reason to own the growing collection of soda bottles i have for their actual purpose ;) - and yes, i am aware that i just had a rant about being healthy and then illuded to my recreational use of Nitros Oxide.... i figure, i'll save up all my "things that are bad for me" credits for fun things like drugs, and spend the rest of my time putting only good things in my body.

I'm diabetic.. and I recently found out some things about aspartame and even splenda.. www.mercola.com explains some things.. it's too much to post.. But you will think twice about consuming a diet soda.. whether it has equal or splenda in it

ebola? said:
Lucky them, TITANS OF INSULIN (tm)!

lol!!!
pancreas.gif

I have also read a number of times (though i have no proof through a study that i can be bothered citing) that artificial sweeteners make you crave sugar... so you either have a diet cola followed by a chocolate bar, or a diet cola, followed by another diet cola, followed by another... etc etc... to try to sate your body's desire for sugar.... perhaps it's my cynical mind hard at work, but that just screams of a manufacturer's dream... a product that makes you crave the thing you are using their product to replace...

um...based on personal experience, this is not the case. The reason I take diet colas when I feel the urge to is because the sugar in regular soda make me HUNGRY AFTER. All sugars and high glycemic index foods make me this way and I've read that it is because of the rapid spike in blood sugar after ingestion, which causes one to have that empty hungry feeling after. There is a huge difference. I definitely do not feel a "ravenous" hole after ingesting even a couple of diet drinks or anything with artificial sweetener.

Once because there was nothing in the fridge and I craved something with flavor, I took a few gulps of a regular pepsi. I had a gnawing hungry feeling in my stomach 30 minutes later (I am perpetually on a low carbo/no sugar if it can be helped diet regimen) and the difference was astounding. I never get this with artificial sweeteners..otherwise, why the hell would I still consume it if it was just giving me the same feeling as regular sugar? (aside from the obvious lack of calories)

But as I stated earlier, diet soda is a treat and not a daily thing. I cant even look at a bottle of regular soda without feeling that hole.....I remember drinking liters of regular soda (a long time ago, during my "bad" years lol) and I just would not be satisfied, I had to literally drink more and more. I do not get that feeling with diet soda.

Just my 2.0

Last edited:
Pshaaw said:
I'm diabetic.. and I recently found out some things about aspartame and even splenda.. www.mercola.com explains some things.. it's too much to post.. But you will think twice about consuming a diet soda.. whether it has equal or splenda in it

That site makes me suspicious though. It just seems like WAY too much of that site revolves around the guy selling his book, his system, and various assorted crap that he certifies as healthy; for me to trust in his objectivity.

I find myself reminded of those articles, a couple of years back, about how horribly unhealthy and unnatural soy foods (Principally milk and tofu, but others were being demonized as well.) were "recently discovered" to be... until some people did some checking and found how much of the advertising in those magazines was paid for by various dairy associations.

cya,
john