• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

DMT Negative Side Effects: Asthma, Numbness, Allergic Reaction?

hamhurricane

Bluelighter
I have recently started smoking DMT and it has produced a variety of strange and unpleasant side effects, namely:

I have asthma but it is hardly present, I get seasonal allergies and thats about it. I rarely smoke marijuana or cigarettes, but when i do asthma is never an issue. After taking one hit of DMT i have consistently had an asthma attack which requires three to four puffs of albuterol to attenuate. paradoxically while the drugs effects are taking place i find it feels unusually easy to breath and the air feels thin and clear, it is only when im coming down that the negative effects begin to manifest themselves, and the attack begins.

The second disconcerting effect is an acute numbness in the mouth and lips that have come into direct contact with the smoke, the numbness lasts long after the drugs effects have worn off half an hour or longer, am i simply being burned, or is this a common effect produced by the drug? I have been using a foil pipe with a plastic straw. I'm aware this is not an ideal arrangement, is it possible that the negative side effects are being generated by the over heated plastic straw, rather than the DMT?

The third and (strangest effect) is over the past few days i have been keeping an irregular sleep schedule due to large amounts of work, i often find myself waking up in the midst of a REM cycle and as i open my eyes i have DISTINCT hallucinations, as if the DMT is somehow reactivated by my dreams. The hallucinations only last a moment but on most occasions they have caught me so off guard that i briefly thought i had unknowingly ingested a hallucinogen before sleeping.

Although the asthma attacks and pain in the mouth are unpleasent, the effects of DMT are wonderfull and i wish to continue exploring the drug, just as long as its not a huge detriment to my health. Have other people felt these negative effects?

I have asthma and smoking DMT doesn't really seem to cause any ill effects besides the weird numbness/tingling feeling in the lips that you mention.. And a little anxiety/stress before/during/after (lol) the experience.

I might also taste it a little bit when breathing but only for a short time after.

i would assume the burning on your lips would be the smoke being forced on a concentrated spot

i get a simuler effect if i smoke anything through a really small hose

Maybe its not being cleanly extracted, and some kind of plant material left in the DMT extraction is causing the problems

Yes I have bad asthma after vapourising DMT too. I had to sprinkle it on damiana and smoke it through a pipe. I know people would shudder to hear it, but it doesn't give me asthma this way.

I just get the cone lit very gently and take the flame away and just take in several tokes. Allows me to breakthrough OK without having worry about my breathing heading into DA CIRCUS

the almost instant visual and aural expansion into one, where both senses get stimulated to the max and seem to merge into one and into all there is and the body seems to disappear... those intense lights and the indescribable cosmic tinnitus bang... I dunno. Makes me wonder if it might not, perhaps, trigger a tendency towards tinnitus in susceptible individuals. Just a hunch.

I have fairly bad asthma, and that has always been the reason why I won't try smoked DMT. I just think it would be hellish to be struggling for breath whilst instantaneously getting transported to another dimension. I've already experienced this on 5-MEO-DMT, and after that, I don't think I'll be smoking any chemicals in the near future.

the yellow oils from DMT extract is more then likely one of teh causes of the numbness. I rember packing up this feind a huge oily waxy hit of ~200-300mgs at the river and even the seconds I took a hit of caused a ton of that yellow goo to enter my mouth, it numbed it up pretty good but also was utterly discusting. This DMT was never washed and had a rusty color to it.

another idea is how you are smoking it? out of a pipe or vap? I suggest using justa glass pipe with roling paper under and over the DMT and hold the lighter/flame right above the paper as to not come into direct contact but till it starts to burn.

The numbness is just the freebase smoke flowing over your tongue or lips. My guess is that it's the foil or the straw that's causing your "asthma".

believe in "the other";)

specialr

terrapintraveler said:
my first thought...or possibly naptha?!?! that would explain the numbness and frankly, any other breathing related problems (though naptha might actually be too harsh for this).

While DMT vapor is harsh on my lungs and mouth, it seems to be mostly the heat which causes this for me, and after a few seconds it seems to cool down.
smoked naphtha doesnt feel what is being described, trust me. it tastes, feels like nicotine oil.

I find an increased need for albuterol when smoking nn,dmt or 5-meo-dmt, as soonas I return to baseline, the 1st thing i do is use the inhaler..

i had the hallucinations for a couple nights after dmt. you just wake up tripping, its weird. then seconds later its gone.

IGNVS said:
i had the hallucinations for a couple nights after dmt. you just wake up tripping, its weird. then seconds later its gone.

and specialrelativity you felt the same thing? wow how strange, i dont know if this is a well documented phenomena that every DMT user knows about, but it seriously caught me off guard, ive always heard talk about "flash backs" and i thought it was just hypochondriacs freaking out over tiny perceptual changes. but this was DISTINCT and was without question brought on by sleep. one time i sat up and saw the entire room move in a ripple, another time i woke up and my girlfriend had that look that skin gets on DMT like its transparent and you have x-ray vision and i was just like "why am i tripping?"

egor said:
I find an increased need for albuterol when smoking nn,dmt or 5-meo-dmt, as soonas I return to baseline, the 1st thing i do is use the inhaler..

This is the exact same situation im facing and its really unpleasent for me, to be like woah incredible trip, now let me struggle with my breathing for two hours. It was the first time i had asthma on a psychedelic drug. Initially i thought it was really funny and was using my friends inhaler and i was like "you have an incredibly beautiful inhaler...I AM an inhaler" but this def lost its novelty once i realised that i was getting the attacks consistantly.

really injection seems the best route, although i dont think its common that people have enough confidence in the purity of their DMT to want it IM, i wonder if i can recrystalise what i have left or something and IM it because i really think my stuff is hard on the lungs, either that or wait till i can use a pharmaceutical MAOI which i ordered.

I've personally never experienced anything like that from DMT, though I have certainly hallucinated that I was suffocating or going numb.

that dream hallucination sounds like a hypnagogic experience to me, caused by stress that dmt is most likley to produce.

google hypnagogic experience, its pretty freaky. but happens to people all the time.

EgoDeath said:
that dream hallucination sounds like a hypnagogic experience to me, caused by stress that dmt is most likley to produce.

google hypnagogic experience, its pretty freaky. but happens to people all the time.

Yeah im familiar with hypnagogic hallucinations, I used to get them as a child, I would hear people applauding me, or it would sound like a was at a party as I was falling asleep. But im 95% sure this was different because it was totally visual and the effects were identical to that of DMT.

it definitely lends credence to the Rick Straussman theory that REM sleep is caused by endogenous DMT production (which I always thought was probably going to be proven untrue) I haven’t read his book, and I don’t know if he discusses DMT production causing hallucinations upon waking, but I think it would be worth investigating. Also whether exogenous administration of DMT augments the endogenous production (if anything I would imagine your brains ability to produce DMT would be lessoned, just like its more difficult for your brain to produce endorphins after opiate use)

For about 20 days straight I smoked DMT at least once a day and I would wake in the middle of the night with incredible DMT visuals...as I would walk to the bathroom I would have to stop as my visual field became overlaid with intricate patterning and spiral diamonds...I would also notice a vibrating energy running down my body...like energy shivers...

It stopped after taking a break from DMT...

I notice this also with LSD and 2CE. These two chems I will have lingering visuals for 24-36 hours usually. But, strangely no other powerful tryptamines like DPT, 5-MeO-DMT, or any 4-substituted-Ts I've tried give this effect (only DMT, LSD, and 2CE).

I too have experienced hypnagogic type hallucinations and vividly strange dreams while attempting to sleep after using large amounts of smoked n,n-dmt freebase. It does not seem to happen to me after taking it orally with an MAOI. I am not entirely adverse to this possible side-effect, but I must say it can be somewhat terrifying when it is unexpected.
For me at least, using a highly purified compound, and glass smoking devices, produces a vapor that is not harsh or irritating whatsoever. I actually find it to be quite pleasant. I am a smoker, but I find n,n-dmt freebase to be easier on the lungs than even a cigarette. I suspect that many of the reports of the extreme harshness of this vapor may be due to impure products and/or weird and inefficient methods of ingestion. But it seems everyone has their own opinion when it comes to this.