Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Herald Sun - 05/06/07 'Boy expelled over ecstasy deal'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Boy expelled over ecstasy deal
Jane Metlikovec and Shannon McRae
June 05, 2007 09:12am

INTERNET EXCLUSIVE: A SCOTCH College student has been expelled for selling ecstasy at school.

The year-12 boy was expelled from the elite Hawthorn college last week.

The student had sold two ecstasy pills to a year-nine boy who took them during school and fell into a drug haze.

Fellow year-12 students today confirmed the campus drug pushing.

They told the Herald Sun Online the boy had done a stupid thing.

"He is an idiot, he shouldn’t have done it," a boy said.

But the boys said the expelled student was not fully to blame for the controversy.

"The school shouldn’t be pushing this under the carpet," one said.

"All they care about is their own reputation."

Scotch College refused to answer repeated calls from the Herald Sun Online yesterday.

It is believed the school will release a statement later today.

Herald Sun

School drug boy expelled
Jane Metlikovec
June 06, 2007 12:00am

POLICE have demanded private schools be forced to report drug deals after Scotch College failed to tell them it had expelled a young ecstasy pusher last week.

Deputy Commissioner Simon Overland has called for private schools to be pulled into line with state schools, which are required by government protocol to tell police of drug-related incidents.

"I think it's a difficult issue for schools to deal with, drug use in schools," Mr Overland said.

"But if there's criminal behaviour involved, they really do need to involve the police and the earlier they do that, the better."

But the Bracks Government said yesterday it would not introduce laws demanding mandatory reporting across the board.

Elite schools have come under intense scrutiny this year for hiding on-campus drug scandals.

Xavier College came under fire in April for failing to tell police it had expelled a year 11 student for selling marijuana in the school yard in February.

Mr Overland said police were determined to ensure private school students faced the same consequences as state school students.

A Scotch College year 12 student was expelled last week after he allegedly sold two ecstasy pills to a year 9 boy, who took them at school and fell into a drug haze.

Police received no reports from the school, and it did not return police calls yesterday afternoon.

Year 12 students outside Scotch College said the year 9 student had been threatened with expulsion if he publicly named the boy who sold him the drugs.

The senior students said the year 9 boy, who is believed to be back at school, was stupid for taking them.

"He is an idiot. He shouldn't have done it," one said.

A friend of the expelled student said he was upset at the way the school had handled the matter.

"You can 'ask' students to leave but does that fix the problem at the school or with the accused student?" he said.

"There is no way you can eliminate drugs in school, so wouldn't the next step be to approach the students about the issue and implement education strategies about the risks involved with drug use?

"The school needs to take action, whether it may tarnish its reputation or not."

Scotch College management, who had refused to answer calls from the Herald Sun for two days, yesterday morning promised to release a media statement but had not by evening.

Education Minister John Lenders said in Parliament yesterday the State Government would not pass laws to dictate how non-government schools dealt with drug use among students.

"This Government sees as totally unacceptable illegal drugs use in schools . . . and we will work with the non-government schools for policies and best practices which will stamp them out," Mr Lenders said.

But Opposition education spokesman Philip Davis said that was not good enough.

"Schools must have an obligation to report, as it's clear otherwise they won't because they don't want to damage their reputations," Mr Davis said.

Another private school yesterday admitted a student had been expelled and another suspended over a sex scandal.

Overnewton College principal Jim Laussen said a year 10 boy had been expelled from the Keilor school for filming a female student as she performed sexual acts on him in the school toilets last week.

The female student has been suspended, and the school helped the boy's family find him a place at another school, Mr Laussen said.

Herald Sun

Failing students
Editorial

June 06, 2007 12:00am

SCOTCH College is Victoria's oldest school and one of its most exclusive.

Parents pay almost $20,000 to put a child through year 12 there, and would expect a lot for their money.

In its handling of a drug sale in the schoolyard, however, the school has short-changed parents and students.

Drugs do not respect social barriers and are as much a problem behind ivy-covered walls as ones decked in graffiti.

That a student of affluent parents would be involved with drugs is no surprise.

What is worrying, however, is the way Scotch dealt in-house with ecstasy dealing, even after a student fell ill from the drug.

The matter is far too serious for that.

Police should not have had to find out about this ecstasy deal at Scotch from the Herald Sun. They should not have had to struggle then to contact school authorities.

Of course Scotch College is not the only private school with drug issues, or the only one to try to keep a lid on it.

It is compulsory for government schools to alert police to student drug-dealing. Private schools can decide for themselves - but it is a mistake for them to think every case can be dealt with behind closed doors.

The world has radically changed from the one in which their senior staff grew up.

Students have never been more cashed up, or had more technology to allow unwholesome networks to secretly thrive.

Mobile phones and computers expedite everything from drug dealing to fight clubs.

Tradition does not always prepare a school to deal with that.

Dealing ecstasy is a serious crime that demands a proper police investigation, uncomfortable as that might be to a school.

Student welfare must come first. Keeping dirty linen hidden only leaves schools open to suspicion they are more worried about their reputation than drugs.

Herald Sun

"There is no way you can eliminate drugs in school, so wouldn't the next step be to approach the students about the issue and implement education strategies about the risks involved with drug use?"

By far the most sensible thing written in this article, and it came from a Yr 12 student. Mandatory reporting of drug dealing is just going to lead to more, otherwise promising teenagers being given criminal records and having their lives ruined before they had even started.

School quizzed on drug deal
Jane Metlikovec
June 06, 2007 04:16pm

POLICE have interviewed Scotch College management more than one week after a senior student allegedly sold drugs to a year 9 boy.

Detectives, who were only contacted by the prestigous college yesterday after an exclusive Herald Sun Online report, spent three hours at the prestigious school from 11am today.

Police said the incident happened on Tuesday last week, and the school were informed the next day.

The school is still refusing to answer calls from the Herald Sun Online, with a media statement they apparently prepared yesterday still not issued.

Police have demanded private schools be forced to report drug deals after Scotch College failed to tell them it had expelled a young ecstasy pusher last week.

Deputy Commissioner Simon Overland has called for private schools to be pulled into line with state schools, which are required by government protocol to tell police of drug-related incidents.

"I think it's a difficult issue for schools to deal with, drug use in schools," Mr Overland said.

* Vote now: Drug dealers

"But if there's criminal behaviour involved, they really do need to involve the police and the earlier they do that, the better."

But the Bracks Government said yesterday it would not introduce laws demanding mandatory reporting across the board.

Elite schools have come under intense scrutiny this year for hiding on-campus drug scandals.

Xavier College came under fire in April for failing to tell police it had expelled a year 11 student for selling marijuana in the school yard in February.

Mr Overland said police were determined to ensure private school students faced the same consequences as state school students.

A Scotch College year 12 student was expelled last week after he allegedly sold two ecstasy pills to a year 9 boy, who took them at school and fell into a drug haze.

Year 12 students outside Scotch College said the year 9 student had been threatened with expulsion if he publicly named the boy who sold him the drugs.

The senior students said the year 9 boy, who is believed to be back at school, was stupid for taking them.

"He is an idiot. He shouldn't have done it," one said.

A friend of the expelled student said he was upset at the way the school had handled the matter.

"You can 'ask' students to leave but does that fix the problem at the school or with the accused student?" he said.

"There is no way you can eliminate drugs in school, so wouldn't the next step be to approach the students about the issue and implement education strategies about the risks involved with drug use?

"The school needs to take action, whether it may tarnish its reputation or not."

Scotch College management, had repeatedly refused to answer calls from the Herald Sun Online on the issue.

Education Minister John Lenders said in Parliament yesterday the State Government would not pass laws to dictate how non-government schools dealt with drug use among students.

"This Government sees as totally unacceptable illegal drugs use in schools . . . and we will work with the non-government schools for policies and best practices which will stamp them out," Mr Lenders said.

But Opposition education spokesman Philip Davis said that was not good enough.

"Schools must have an obligation to report, as it's clear otherwise they won't because they don't want to damage their reputations," Mr Davis said.

Another private school yesterday admitted a student had been expelled and another suspended over a sex scandal.

Overnewton College principal Jim Laussen said a year 10 boy had been expelled from the Keilor school for filming a female student as she performed sexual acts on him in the school toilets last week.

The female student has been suspended, and the school helped the boy's family find him a place at another school, Mr Laussen said.

Herald Sun

College boy faces drug charges for school dealing
By Jane Metlikovec
June 07, 2007 07:19am

POLICE have interviewed the principal of Scotch College and are preparing to charge a student for selling ecstasy on school grounds.

Detectives visited the elite Hawthorn college yesterday, more than a week after school management was informed of the on-campus drug dealing.

The school contacted police only on Tuesday after an exclusive report by the Herald Sun online.

Scotch College again avoided the Herald Sun yesterday, declining to comment for the third day in a row.

The school's handling of the drug scandal has sparked political debate and prompted police Deputy Commissioner Simon Overland to demand that private schools be forced to report drug-related incidents to police - as is required of state schools.

Education Minister John Lenders said in Parliament yesterday he would not introduce mandatory reporting laws for private schools.

Detectives from the Boroondara crime investigation unit spent three hours interviewing Scotch management, including principal Dr Gordon Donaldson, from 11am yesterday.

Victoria Police spokeswoman Cassandra Stone confirmed a year 9 student had taken two ecstasy pills at school on Tuesday, May 29.

It is alleged a year 12 boy had sold the drugs to him earlier that day.

During their police interview yesterday, the school told investigators the boy had left school and returned home in a drug haze.

His mother contacted Scotch the next day.

Sen-Constable Stone said police expected to charge the year 12 student for trafficking a drug of dependence in coming days.

Investigators will also interview the year 9 student.

Sen-Constable Stone said the school had not expelled the year 12 boy, despite fellow students believing this was the case.

"Once the boy's parents found out they took him out of the school themselves," Sen-Constable Stone said.

Sen-Det Marco Callegaro interviewed school management yesterday.

The Boroondara CIU detective said he was pleased with the way the school had handled the situation.

"I am more than satisfied with the process that the school has followed to report this matter to police," he said.

Adelaide now

The student had sold two ecstasy pills to a year-nine boy who took them during school and fell into a drug haze.

a drug haze eh!

ffs, 9 years old . .

AcidRain said:
No, he was in YEAR 9 of school, so would've been 13 - 15

Cant believe he double dropped at school! Nutter!

Ah missed that!

Im in a bit of a drug haze you see; )

yeah... I remember double dropping when I worked for the bank. I knew it was time to calm down when I kept telling my manage how pretty he looked with his lovely olive Complexion

Wow, Scotch kids are nuts. I ate hash cake at school a few times and that tripped me out enough. Pills at school is insanity.

Just kids being kids hopefully the expelled student will go to another school complete his studies and peruse the carrier he wishes and hopefully his parents will wake up and realize that private schools are just money hungry business which will not affect a child future one bit. Well that’s what I think. Private school are a waste of money with nothing to be gained.

I got expelled from a private school in year 11 went to a state school got into uni, did my masters doing my phd and I am currently working as a lecture in a uni I do not see any positive impact of sending kids to a top private schools . Sure their is more chances of getting into a good uni. But being a lecture at a top university the kids which fail at uni and are forced out are mainly from top private schools

Id have been rollling around on the carpet moaning, not to mention a blithering stuttering shakey mess

No matter what type of school you attend, public or private, there are always going to be problems with drugs. I don't see why it should become a public versus private matter it really annoys me when people make generalisations about students that attend either school.
If people want to spend more money on education than others than so be it, its the money they can do what they want with it.

On another note I can't believe that kid in year 9 took two pills at school! God damn no wonder he was in a drug haze!

finchy_87 said:
No matter what type of school you attend, public or private, there are always going to be problems with drugs. I don't see why it should become a public versus private matter it really annoys me when people make generalisations about students that attend either school.
If people want to spend more money on education than others than so be it, its the money they can do what they want with it.

On another note I can't believe that kid in year 9 took two pills at school! God damn no wonder he was in a drug haze!
well I agree with you how can a year 9 kid take 2 pills at school.

but back to the private school issue I would belive that is the year 12 kid did that in a public school he would proble not get expelled. well in my school he would not. and this is june his high schooling finishes in 5 months . if he goes to another school I'm not sure if it will affect his chances of getting into uni. but if it did then its a year wasted

but you are right peoiple can do what ever they want with their money. I sure would not want to wast it on something I feel is just rubbish so people can say " I go to one of the best schools in town" and not do any better of than some kid that went to a state school.

Another elite school feels sting
Paul Anderson
June 09, 2007 12:00am

ANOTHER top Melbourne private school is embroiled in scandal after at least three students admitted possessing a drug of dependence.

Four Marcellin College students are on suspension, three for possession of marijuana and the fourth for links to the drug.

School authorities swiftly dealt with the four after a member of the public saw three of them -- all year 9 students -- with marijuana and smoking it in a Heidelberg side street last week.

The fourth student, who is in year 10, was implicated later.

Marcellin principal Mark Merry yesterday said the matter was dealt with as a high priority for the welfare of the pupils involved, and because they were in school uniform.

Detectives from Heidelberg CIU have investigated the boys' actions.

A police spokesman yesterday said the students had been cautioned and no criminal charges were expected to be laid.

Marcellin is a Catholic college in Bulleen with about 1000 students. Its Latin motto translates as "Strive for the highest".

In a statement to the Herald Sun, Mr Merry said: "I can confirm that we received information on Thursday, May 31, from a member of the public that three year 9 boys were in possession of a small quantity of marijuana in a side street off Burgundy St, Heidelberg, after school hours.

"The boys were subsequently identified and admitted to smoking a cigarette containing marijuana.

"Another student in year 10 was also found to be implicated.

"In accordance with our school policy the matter was reported to the police and the Catholic Education Office in Melbourne.

"All four boys were suspended pending a police investigation.

"The boys concerned have been cautioned by police and they and their families will attend interviews with myself early next week to discuss further disciplinary measures and drug counselling."

In April, Xavier College was slammed for not telling police it had expelled a year 11 pupil for selling marijuana to three others at the school in February.

Herald Sun

It seems like these boys were just trying to live up to the school motto. "Strive for the highest".
biggrin.gif

lol.. everyone knows there's drugs in every high school, private or not...... you're just more likely to be ripped off with parsely leaves or nurofens in a poor public school ;-)

Splatt said:
you're just more likely to be ripped off with parsely leaves or nurofens in a poor public school ;-)

Never thought about ripping people off with parsley leaves thats a heaps funny one - I wonder if people have ever fell for that one??