• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Kratom and Withdrawals

Its harder to schedule a plant than it is to schedule a drug... that's probably the main reason why they haven't done anything about it. Though now that 7-HO-mitragynine, 7-AcO-Mitragynine, and Mitragynine itself are now available in tincture form online, who knows...

As for withdrawals... why bother? I tried kratom once and had one of the nastiest drug experiences of my life. They're not kidding when they say shoot the dose too low and you're stimulated as all fucking hell. I can't remember the last time I got so sick off a drug... 5-MeO-AMT didn't hold a candle on kratom body load. I tossed the rest of my shit and vowed never to touch it again.

Substituting kratom for opiates...

Free said:
kratom like every other opiate CAN be habbit forming.. but when you're at the point where you're chasing away w/ds with kratom you shouldn't have much to worry about in that department(i've been there.)
Frankly, I find the post-acute depression from coming off a heavy kratom habit to be much worse than it is with 'real' opiates (probably because of kratom's stimulant qualities). The withdrawal syndrome itself is very lightweight compared to opiates (agitation and fatigue, that's about it) but once that depression hits around day 4 or 5 -- watch the hell out, man. Two hours of that sh*t feels like 20 years.

Unless someone's willing to go on antidepressants (or taper veeerry gradually) when they finally kick kratom, I would not recommend substituting kratom for opiates due to the above. Particularly if it takes very frequent doses of kratom to make the switch. Just go off the opiate directly, sweat out the physical w/d and be glad you don't also have a stimulant-type substance to kick at the same time.
MagickalKat777 said:
As for withdrawals... why bother? I tried kratom once and had one of the nastiest drug experiences of my life. They're not kidding when they say shoot the dose too low and you're stimulated as all fucking hell. I can't remember the last time I got so sick off a drug... 5-MeO-AMT didn't hold a candle on kratom body load. I tossed the rest of my shit and vowed never to touch it again.
Was it mainly nausea? If so, you OD'd plain & simple. There's no such thing as a heavy kratom body load at low doses. If it was a few grams or something, you were sold something that wasn't kratom. I guess it's possible as well that you're allergic to it, or had a drug interaction with something else.

Last edited:
no, its not well stated but it brings up a good point. if it was a valid replacement for opiates wouldnt have your local news have brought you a scare story by now about it? wouldnt the DEA be moving to outlaw it? maybe its my fucked up american perspective, but since it isnt illegal it cant be worthwhile. no?

Nitrous is legal. Ether is legal. The list goes on. The DEA hasn't scheduled everything good.

I realize it's an old thread - I just wanted to toss in my experience cause I'm up late. I'm a lifelong on/off opiate user, former drugstore cowboy so had access to it all, even the ole shake & bake dilaudids and morphine that looked like saccharine and instantly dissolved (that was 35 years ago). After 18 months in the cross bar hotel for sales etc, I more or less quit the scene. But I still always loved em and I get excited at the prospect of dental surgery because I know I'll get some Vicodins and always take way too many way too fast. Anyway, sorry for the ramble. First post here at BL.

The point is I have been using Poppy Pods daily (or 2x daily) for approx 9 months, not too much, maybe 5 Jumbos at a whack, but as my tolerance began to rise to where 5 only made me feel normal I decided I wanted to quit them (plus they made me a couch potato after a while) but 36hr into C/T the WD was way worse than I remembered and I made another batch of tea. Early on I had heard of Kratom and ordered some Premium crushed Thai leaves. Made tea with two grams, felt nothing and put it away. Then I thought well, if I was at at detox they give you benzos right? I told my Dr. what was up but she only gave me five .5mg Ativan - lol. So I ordered 60 more from overseas and started to slowly wean off the Pods taking 4 10mg Diazepam a day. After two weeks I burned through all 60 benzos but was only down to 1 Pod a day and still got really bad RLS when I tried to quit them totally. Not wanting a benzo habit too I remembered the Kratom and made a batch with 6gms and brewed it twice through a Mr. Coffee and choked it down. Man, within minutes the anxiety I was experiencing was much better but best of all, my RLS was greatly reduced and that has always been the worst part of WD for me. I dont mind the puking, pissing out both ends or anything else as much as those crazy cramped up muscles and RLS.

Today is the 2nd complete day of no other drugs beyond the Kratom (and a little weed) and although I am somewhat uncomfortable it is not at all like normal WDs with flu-like symptoms etc. Although I completely recognize that my habit was no burner by any stretch, the Kratom definitely helped to the point where I could do it instead of just cave in and score again. But like I said, my opiate dosage was very low by the time I quit...I absolutely had to taper first. I can't imagine it doing much for a full on burner.

I do need to get more Kratom and am confused by all the abbreviations I see here...what is the best kind I should look for? Thanks is advance!

^I recommend coming into the Other Drugs forum and starting a thread or joining a current kratom discussion. Many of us have had wonderful success tapering off of opiates using kratom as an intermediate... I find that you have to titrate the dose of the opiate you are addicted to before switching to kratom though, as kratom is not going to nearly substitute for a huge habit of a strong opiate. I think this is the biggest issue people have when using kratom; you had this issue at first apparently, too!

In summary, I think kratom is great at getting rid of most of the symptoms of withdrawal so long as you don't try to jump directly from a large dose of another opiate. Taper as much as possible first, I say!

PS- I have come off of opiates three times with kratom - buprenorphine x2 and poppy pods x1... Worked well with both but definitely better with bupe. I assume this is because they have similar "speedy opiate" effects, as opposed to the drowsy, sedating effects of the pods (main alkaloid in pods is morphine)...

Edit- I recommend to just get "micronized bali" (essentially just ground up "bali" kratom leaves)... It works wonderfully-- actually better than the tinctures or resins IMO and also much less addicting and expensive.

what is the best kind I should look for

I'm a regular kratom lover. I suggest Maeng Da - Pimp Grade Thai Kratom

Yes...that really is PIMP grade. LOL I focus, I'm motivated, I just love this stuff.

Thx guys - being a newbie here I just went to the first Kratom thread I saw.
Thx for the redirection and encouragement.