• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Tell a funny story about failing with no excuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

captainballs

Bluelighter
Ha... I can't say this has ever happened to me - I always have a good excuse (drug addiction, forest fire, etc.). But seriously, there are some people out there who fail courses for reasons that most of us can not fathom. School is not really about intelligence so much as it is about figuring out the subject at hand (which really only requires work and persistence).

I opened this thread so we can all laugh about people who've crippled themselves in courses for no apparent excusable reason. These are people who know how to read, know how to write, but made irrational decisions that put the hurt on their grades.

For instance (true story):

My friend took the very first finance course this semester, and scored a D after countless hours of studying for the entire five-month period. Now, for those of you who have never taken a basic finance course, there's a calculator called the BA II Plus that really turns basic finance into something an 8th grader could ace. The professor will tell you, "Go buy this calculator today" on the first day of class. You can almost pound on the calculator with your fist and get the correct answer to Present Value, Interest Rate, etc. type problems. I can not stress enough how EASY this calculator makes life if you're taking a finance course.

My friend never got the calculator. I was too busy with my courses to pay attention to how bad his grades were getting, but I distinctly remember asking him before and during his course, "Do you have a BA II Plus?" "No?" "Well you better go get one... it makes finance a complete joke..."

He never ever got one.... and it's not like figuring out finance problems algebraically is impossible (to say the least), it's just that using the BA II Plus makes things RETARDEDLY EASY and FAST.

I just can't understand how a person can sit in class where everyone else has the calculator, and even the teacher is using one in front of class, and that person will still refuse to go to Wal Mart or Best Buy and just get one.

People like this keep me smiling - without them life would be boring. But they also make me want to bang my head against the wall until I pass out.

Last edited:
i got a d in intro to psych b/c i was dating phreex.

true story.

just had to fucking retake that class and it cost me nearly $400 all together.

;)

I got an F in a History of China class because I was stalking Laura on the internet.

I got a D in a 100-level poetry class because I never attended class and did horrible on the exams. My excuse was that I hate reading and analyzing poetry.

Myself - high school, not college, but the only D I got was for senior english class where our report on an author counted for like 30% of our grade. I picked an author the teacher hadn't read much of, then went to the library for research. Wrote down the titles to 3 books, made up some more titles on my own, and wrote my report on this author. I earned a D- on the report and a D for the class overall that term. Creative, but lazy....and a teacher's pet....kept me from missing graduation.

My wife and her friend met as freshman at University. Towards the end of the term, the roommate-friend asks wtf my wife was doing with all those books?
Wife: I'm studying for exams, we have them this week you know?
Friend: Okay, but where'd the books come from?
Wife: The bookstore. We were supposed to get them at the beginning of the term. Don't you have yours?
Friend: No, I thought they gave them to you like in high school.
....the friend failed her first term at college, and didn't do to well the second term either 8)

Last edited:
Well, this happened to a friend of mine...
He did no work for the whole semester, and only started studying the day before his exam.
To help him pull through, he took a lot of speed that night so he can concentrate.
He thought he was doin ok until he suddenly decided to smoke a joint 1 or 2 hrs before exam.
After the smoke he started having paranoid thoughts bout failing so instead of doin the exam, he went to the doctors to get a doctor's certificate.
He was lucky to get a second chance to sit the exam again, considering he didnt turn up to any class for the whole semester.
But during the exam, the building experienced a power shortage, and the exam was cancelled.
So, in the end, he failed. lol pretty unlcuky lol

This isn't about me but I found this to be the most ridiculous reason for failing a class...

My good friend is a football (EU) fanatic. He had done all the work for his class and would have probably gotten an A but the final was on the same day of a Liverpool/Acmilan matchup. He stayed home, completely sober just to watch the game. He doesn't regret it either.

Fuckin nuts.

^
If I supported Liverpool, I would consider watching that match to be worth failing a course for. No joke. It was the 2005 European Champions League final, and possibly the best comeback ever (in soccer, anyway). Maybe like coming back from 20-0 at half time in the Super Bowl, in terms of how good it was, and how important it was.

(And I say that as someone who hates Liverpool like Red Sox hate Yankees and vice versa).

(Unless, of course, you are writing from the FUTURE! OMG! - because Liverpool and AC Milan play in about 14 hours, in the 2007 final. In which case, I don't know if it will be worth watching or not).

Got a D- in my first college calc class because
a) the discussion was 8 am Monday morning, and
b) I took calculus in high school and thought it would be no big thing if I didn't go to class because it was all review anyway. Hah.

i had straight A's all semester in econ and chem, the day before the final i tripped and went to some show

didnt go to the exam

failed em both

haha i did the same thing sort of...the night before my final i sold some kids some gel tab acid that was ripped unevenly. leaving me with about a one third scrap left, i took it thinking wtf it cant hurt. and in the revelations that followed i completly forget about my final until the next day, but by then it was summer and nothing could bring me down lol.

fucking yeaaa i was like 'you know what, i actually really dont give a flying fuck, now that i think about it'

i have since decided that i probably shouldnt go back to school until i am good and ready

happen to have my college transcripts right here so lets go down the list roflmao..

spring 2002:
Bio 1B - F
Philosophy 1 - D+
Ochem and Literature - Cs
reason: went to philosophy 2x the entire quarter and skipped the midterm. final was open book and open notes - didn't have either. felt so awful afterwards I didn't go to my bio final and took an F in the course.

Fall 2002:
Econ 100A - F
Reason: stayed up all night playing civ 3 instead of cramming for 3 months of missed lectures. Retook it and got a B though!

Summer 2003:
Econ 11A - D-
Reason: Its summer.. who goes to class? lol..

Almost everything else I got a A or B in.. pretty easy if you just go to class and actually listen. I wish I had known that before hand though haha.

I failed almost every class when i switched schools.
I went to a university about an hour away from my friends and every thing/one i knew. i spent most of the semester driving back and forth, drinking, smoking pot everyday. doing whatever drugs i could get my hands on. and just beginning to get real deep into my opiate addiction.
i think my grades were: c-,d,f,f

they kicked me out. :p

aanallein said:
Fall 2002:
Econ 100A - F
Reason: stayed up all night playing civ 3 instead of cramming for 3 months of missed lectures. Retook it and got a B though!

LOL thats not your fault Civ is soo addcitive. did u try Civ 4? nevermind dont even start playing it man

two years ago, took mdma at a party a day before a huge 'mathematics for engineers' test. The next week, had physics.

Ended up acing the maths, and failing the physics.

Moral: Lots of madman with piracetam WILL help your grades.

lets see... i was taking japanese, fall 2006 and surprisingly i was doing very well in it. well i hated where i was going to school and the city itself so i would take random vacations, and it got to a point where i had to withdraw from all my classes. my stupid ass had a choice between the last two courses i was taking, freshman writing rhetoric or japanese. i chose to drop the freshman rhetoric class and i couldnt drop japanese, so i got an automatic F for not attending the final. i shouldve thought about it because i couldve replaced my writing rhetoric grade with the B i received last semester. and the japanese course... they didnt offer it in the spring. so im stuck with an f in japense. GREAT!

Doctoral type friend of mine once said:

"In your graduate career you'll have that one semester..That ONE semester..where you'll founder and not perform close to your reputation.

"In those moments, settle for the B because nobody gives a shit about your grades in graduate school"

This is how I missed my entrance exams for university. The night before the exam I checked which bus to take at what time from an official website well turns out the website wasn't up to date so I had to take a bus that got me 3km away from the uni. 20mins untill the exam and 3km to go I started to run like a motherfucker. It was fucking hopeless, I ran out of breath after 15mins and it was raining slightly. It was clear that i'd be late but i decided i should at least go there and beg for mercy. My plan was to go straight ahead until i could see the uni on my right side(didn't pay too much attention to the map i had). At the time i didn't know its impossible to see the building from that road so I ended up in the middle of a goddamn forest wondering where the fuck the uni is.

In my school you can fail a class for missing half a day. Needless to say, a lot of people fail. Also, it doesn't help when finals are usually 50% of your grade.

Status
Not open for further replies.