• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

A guide to opioid addiction treatments and other medications used for withdrawal

I was addicted to Percocet 10/325 for 3 years. I was prescribed them by my pain doctor. I was taking between 12 and 15 a day. I am a veteran and finally went to the VA. The Doctor prescribed clonodine and I was skeptical. I didn't take it at first. I have withdrawn 3 times on my own only to relapse every time. Finally I said I was tired of having a pill run my life and started taking the clonodine. I detoxed in 7 days without any fever, snot, chills, vomiting, restless legs, or cravings. I did have to have some anxiety medication, but I only took it how the doctor prescribed it. You need to go to your doctor and tell them the truth and do not hide anything. They will help you. Don't let your pride stop you from getting help. It is nothing to be ashamed of. I'm So happy I told my doctor the truth because now a week later, I am free from dependency, shame, lying, and addiction. Only you can do this and you can't bullshit yourself. You have to want it and have a spine.

I know this thread hasn't been posted on in a long time but. I recently was able to get xanax. I am going to be done taking oxy. I only take about 7.5-15 mg at night. I have tried taking nothing and the insomnia and not being able to sleep/mind racing body racing was the worst.

Question I have is does Xanax really help with that? this will be my first time ever taking a benzo. I really am not addicted where I need to take the pills, honestly it just got the point where i took for too many weeks at a time at night and then when i stopped the sleeplessness and anxiety at night got bad so I hated not taking them.

thanks

I was hoping more people would be posting but it seems to have tapered off. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about poppyseed tea? My husband found out about it and we were drinking at least two per day (could not tell you how much he used to make it, he always made it for us). I do know that it made it so I couldn't feel anything when I took two of my prescribed Vicodin. I'm normally the sensible one but he actually said we needed to stop after my mother got upset when she noticed I was no longer myself. She used to be a meth addict, so I openly told her about the tea way before this. Anyway, at about midnight it will be one week without any use whatsoever. We're past the diarrhea, vomiting, and all that. I don't even want anymore because withdrawals feel like fucking torture. I'm now experiencing "brain shivers", I recognize them from when I tried to stop my antidepressants, which I'm now taking regularly. Anyone else have any experience with these as you tried to quit? Sorry about the book but it feels good to get it all out there.

Since Loperamide binds to opioid receptors it acts much like an opiate, for this reason it's known as "the poor man's Methadone", and is commonly used as an OTC addiction maintenance aid. I don't advise this, as the doses needed can become extremely large and this can cause kidney or liver damage, and will lead to dependency and the need to taper down and experience withdrawal when quitting. All opiate addiction maintenance drugs ARE opiates themselves, and in the case of Methadone and Bupernorphine are actually considerably more potent than diamorphine (heroin) and thus have their own dangers including addiction and eventual withdraw, and so should always be used cautiously. Good luck and Godspeed!

be wary of benzos....even after two or three weeks of use of alprazolam, or clonazepam, or lorazepam, you will feel some mental effects that aren't very charming. life is crazy.

I have a q, my girlfriend is going to start detoxing soon and wants to know if it is possible to skin pop the new Subutex? If not or if so is it better to skin pop it or to snort it through the nose? Thank you

Welcome to BL Mizeo101186 :)

Skin popping pills is generally a bad idea. Assuming the new Subutex is a pill, I have no fucking clue. But whatever it is, if you do decide you must skin pop it, have you thought about muscling or shooting it? And if you must use buprenorphine IM/IV (BAD FUCKING IDEA when you're using it in any form it wasn't meant to be used in to inject) please get yourself a micron/wheel filter and hit up your local needle exchange and get enrolled there.

I would really, really advise you not to use your maintenance/pain meds for anything but what they were prescribed, but if you must, please don't kill yourself or lose a limb. Getting an abscess under your thigh/butt cheek is like super not pretty. I doubt you would be very impressed with your girlfriend if she loses a limp or catches some horrible disease. There are lots of nice and juice graphic pictures of what happens when you improperly inject shit in BL's Other Drug's forum.

What was your significant other taking? What kind of situation are you in now in terms of support for her detox?

Welcome to BL Mizeo101186 :)

Skin popping pills is generally a bad idea. Assuming the new Subutex is a pill, I have no fucking clue. But whatever it is, if you do decide you must skin pop it, have you thought about muscling or shooting it? And if you must use buprenorphine IM/IV (BAD FUCKING IDEA when you're using it in any form it wasn't meant to be used in to inject) please get yourself a micron/wheel filter and hit up your local needle exchange and get enrolled there.

I would really, really advise you not to use your maintenance/pain meds for anything but what they were prescribed, but if you must, please don't kill yourself or lose a limb. Getting an abscess under your thigh/butt cheek is like super not pretty. I doubt you would be very impressed with your girlfriend if she loses a limp or catches some horrible disease. There are lots of nice and juice graphic pictures of what happens when you improperly inject shit in BL's Other Drug's forum.

What was your significant other taking? What kind of situation are you in now in terms of support for her detox?

Well she is hooked on heroin in phx and came for 2 weeks in Tennessee with me to detox she isn't prescribed the subutex but bought and brought 14 of them she didn't know if skin pop or muscling subutex was dangerous or not. Ty for your reply

I'm coming in this convo late and uninformed but iv Suboxone is a nightmare. I know this personally. About a month ago I did an 8th of a strip like I was told and immediately had a panic attack. It's like injecting anxiety straight in you and did nothing for my wd. I'm about to go thru 2 weeks of wd. During that time I will get a small amount of opiates but I'm preparing today. I'm getting some things that help me like B6 and DXM and may even get some ephedrine for energy. Got an appt Monday and gonna get some Clonidine. I think about the money and pain I would have saved myself if I didn't abuse my dilaudid the past 2.5 weeks. Well time to pay the piper

Hi I really appreciate the effort you put into that post...I'm looking for a more specific regimine. I have 3 1/2 8mg suboxones a bottle of .5 klonopin a few seroquel and a bottle of 500mg robaxin. I have a very supportive bf who I live with and so I have a safe and comfortable place to kick. I would love for someone to give me a very specific breakdown of how I should wean down every day. I've been shooting a little over 10 bags a day and meth a few times a day. I just want this to be as painless as possible. Any advice is welcome! Thanks really needing support right now!

How long have you been using 10 bags a day? That is about a gram? ECP or tar?

So do you shoot a bundle multiple times a day, or just 10 bags per day?

How long have you been injecting?

Sorry for all the questions, but they are necessary to give you the best possible advice.

While some members here are dismissing benzodiazepines here, I can say that they are very very helpful. However, they are just as addicting as opioids and and withdrawals are way worse in my opinion.

However, if you get just a few, 'maybe qty 10 to take 1 bid, I don't think it would hurt. For me, Lorazepam and Alprazolam (Ativan and Xanax) have by far been most helpful but Clonazepam (Klonopin) is helpful too. And perhaps you should try Clonazepam only as it has a longer half life and is not as likely to be abused (note: *as likely*. Many people can abuse it easily.)

I must add that low doses of Adderral are good enough if you want a mood boost. But caution, as sometimes the awareness can just cause you to feel horrible.

Lastly, I strongly encourage antihistamines. First-generation antihistamine Hydroxyzine has been analyzed as possibly being effective for opioid withdrawal.

I am prescribed hydroxodone, tramadol, Clonazepam Lorazepam and Adderral. Also Hydroxyzine. I guess I'm somewhat lucky to have these. I need them as my anxiety is horrible and I have severe back pain.

As most people who are in constant intense pain, it's not uncommon, even from a non abuser to take a few extra hydroxodones/whatever throughout the month. I have half a Norco left and my appointment is Wednesday. I have enough tramadol to give me 3 a day until Wednesday.(Rxed 4 a day, q6h). But even with the tramadol that *definitely* has allowed me to avoid full withdrawal, I still get them because it's a significantly smaller amount of opioids than my body is used to. During these times, I typically take Lorazepam 1mg tid in addition to my regimen Clonazepam 2.5mgs/day, an Adderral 30mg ER, diclofenac (Rx NSAID) , and Ambien 5-10mgs PRN (I'm on enough meds.. gabapebtin, tizanadine, duloxetine, the list goes on).

Anyway they help.

***** I strongly propose that you try to sleep as much as possible for the first few days. While I don't discourage benzos, or even amphetamines, if you're trying to get off a drug and are prone to abuse, perhaps these additions are not good. Maybe ask your doc for Rx Trazadone for sleep.

Also I think Suboxone is a great method to help stop abusing as the goals are relapse prevention and harm reduction. If you think you're likely to go back to the opioid, consider suboxone. It may suck to take it the rest of your life but if it prevents shooting up or taking large quantities of opioids, many with APAP in it, it's worth it. ****

As for those proposing Imodium, it doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier. You would probably have to take 10-20 and maybe a seroquel to help it pass. Not a desirable thing.

Kratom is great great too!

Best,
BSN, LCDC

Been using legal opiates for pain for over 40 years on and off. Then tried Heroin even tho I knew it was gonna be a stupid idea. I have on occasion if not too heavily addicted to some big guns, been able to wean. That is rare. My best efforts have come with a combination of a medical detox (and ask around because they are not all the same or good) and a recovery support group. Usually, however, it is just too effing hard too kick cold turkey, cannot do it. so, give yourself whatever props you can that you know won't make it worse, like assuming your self-will alone is enough because you should know by now it probably isn't and get whatever help you can. I've been to medical detox twice, both times completed but very uncomfortable. Get help. You are not weak, you are addicted. i also have clinical depression that started before any opiate use, and a dual diagnoses can make things more challenging. Heroin is hard to kick by yourself in my opinion, because the quality is inevitably uneven and can't be metered effectively. See if you can get into a medical detox, and when you get out, take a deep breath and get your ass into a support group of your choice. No excuses. i have found them to be essential to continuous abstention from substances. Good luck.

There is some really twisted logic going on here, "I am about to start detoxing from the hell I am in so is there anyway I can use detox meds in an irresponsible way to help me get over my persistent irresponsibility." I suffer from the disease of addiction as well and that is certainly a very addict way of thinking and definitely something I have been guilty of. If a person is really ready to detox doing it in as responsible manner as possible would probably be a good idea.

What particular "twisted logic" are you referring to jdfisse?

The take away of your post I think is the last sentence, that a detox should be done in a responsible manner as possible. And most people would prefer to do it that way, I don't know anyone who would choose willingly to detox irresponsibly. It is just a matter of folks learning how and being given access to the tools to make it possible for them in specific - and sadly this is rare.

I am referring to the possibly well thought out idea of using suboxone or subutex to help with detoxing followed by "can it be skinpopped?" Its like saying, "I like high colonics so let me go get the firehose."

[Mea Culpa. I didn't realize this was the 6th page of a thread. I bounced in thinking this was the first page. LOL yeah I can see how my comment could be construed as me just being a complete sociopathic douchebag]

Last edited:
I am curently withdrawing on day 6 from a two month 50 - 60 mg daily hydrocodone habbit. I've done this once before c/t and was alright after 4 days. This time the symptoms have been insane. I am still experiencing horrible anxiety, can't get out of my head, and "crazy skin". Only difference is that this time I used .5mg of xanax at night for a couple hours of sleep. Do you think the xanax is causing some of the prolonged symptoms? I felt pretty good last night as I finally held some food down and tried to go without the xanax but at around 4 am with no chance of sleeping and starting to panic I caved and took .5mg xanax and slept for about an hour and felt horrindous after. When will I start to see the light at the end of the tunnel? Did I screw up and start something with the xanax?

I am curently withdrawing on day 6 from a two month 50 - 60 mg daily hydrocodone habbit. I've done this once before c/t and was alright after 4 days. This time the symptoms have been insane. I am still experiencing horrible anxiety, can't get out of my head, and "crazy skin". Only difference is that this time I used .5mg of xanax at night for a couple hours of sleep. Do you think the xanax is causing some of the prolonged symptoms? I felt pretty good last night as I finally held some food down and tried to go without the xanax but at around 4 am with no chance of sleeping and starting to panic I caved and took .5mg xanax and slept for about an hour and felt horrindous after. When will I start to see the light at the end of the tunnel? Did I screw up and start something with the xanax?

It's very unlikely that mild use of benzos like xanax would either prolong your WD or introduce any kind of physical dependency of their own. Of course, caution is a smart move with benzos. But their main risks arise with prolonged usage.

The severity of opioid acute withdrawal can really vary from kick to kick, so I think the likeliest explanation for what you're experiencing is simply that this is a rougher instance than what you've experienced in the past. Luckily, even though there is variation from experience to experience, withdrawing from a fast-acting opioid like hydrocodone will resolve itself (physically) in a fairly short time frame. If you can hang on a few more days, I bet you'll start feeling much better.

Meanwhile, if the xanax is helping, I'd give yourself permission to use it. Just treat it with the caution it deserves, which it sounds like you're doing already.

I hope you feel better soon.
Sim

I agree with Sim the xanax at this point in wds will only help get you some needed sleep. It is strange your feeling that bad still at this point i think you will start feeling better soon.
But get used to the insomnia i took a xanax for sleep almost every other nite just to get enough sleep to be sane. The insomnia is the worse part of wds and paws for me but it does get better hang in there vcj08 BTW i also had lyrica for wds it was a godsend i actually got better sleep on the days i took lyrica than xanax. Xanax is short acting so i would only get a couple hours sleep from it the best benzos for wds are ativan, valium any longer acting benzo will give you more sleep. good luck