• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

A guide to opioid addiction treatments and other medications used for withdrawal

DXM works well for the mental depression and anxxiety. not taking enough to trip
taking just enough for it to lift the mental anxiety and depression which for me is 300mg
but for a newbie 50-100mg.

and keep using only asmuch as you need to so your tolerance doesnt go up, youll need dxm for many days.

I get the WORSE anxiety (xanax) and back pains (suboxone/methadone). I don't want to get out of bed at all (adderall).

I get the WORSE anxiety (xanax) and back pains (suboxone/methadone). I don't want to get out of bed at all (adderall).

Yes, I know the feeling.
I'm tapering off of an oxy habit.
I have found Lyrica helps a lot.
I also realize this thread started years ago.

[*]Benzodiazepines: Exercise EXTREME caution if you plan on using any sort of benzodiazepines to ease the insomnia. Examples of benzos include diazepam (Valium), alprazolam (Xanax), and clonazepam (Klonopin/Rivotril). For myself alprazolam and clonazepam work the best, although I will not recommend obtaining these illegally. ;) Working your way up from 0.5mg (assuming you have no tolerance) until you find your dose may be helpful. ONLY take these if you absolutely need them. I can't stress that enough. Benzodiazepines are, in my humble opinion, more addicting than opiates, and it is a fact that they are more dangerous. They are one of the few classes of drugs that can include DEATH in the withdrawal. Another positive aspect of using benzos would be the fact that it can really take the edge off if/when you are feeling stressed out and anxious. Research them extensively before you use them, as you do *NOT* want to trade addictions. If you are taking buprenorphine as an aid during withdrawal, do not take any benzodiazepines, as this combination has resulted in death.

This is an older post so OP is prolly not around, but this really freaked me out as I have been taking sub n temazepam for 2 mos now. I searched BL for days along with using interaction checker at Drugs.com regarding this befor taking them together. The interaction checker listed them in same category as opys n benzos, which I of course have used a lot. I also have a friend whom is RX sub n temazepam by her sub DR. Now I would like to hear any experience or opinions on this. Please!
Love n Light CS

does phenibut work the same as baclofen, i got a bunch of baclofen left and was wondering if it has same sort of affect on GABA as phenibut?

I think this is one of my first posts - and should possibly be directed toward the Dark Places? However, my situation is more so around kicking addition -ready and willing and "too broke to overdose," as one of my favorite bands would say. Its been years of nearly 200mg give or take of hydro/oxycodoneoxycontin/dilaudid, etc a day. Recently have tapered myself down to tolerate < 50.5. Sadly, that seems like an accomplishment. Before then, anything less than 100mg would still give me cold sweats and couldnt sleep cause of the leg shakes. The point has come now where my life and family and relationships have been taken over and effected and I truly need to do this for myself and them. I'm done, I want to quit, but by the time I get to the 14 hour mark and feel like hell, I give-in to temptation, if resources prevail. Even Norco are hard to find on the west coast right now. It's a booming industry yet all the doctors are cracking down. Too much demand for the supply, that's for sure. That's just one of a million reasons to quit. I continually tell myself how much better life will be when the habit is gone...but the withdrawls are so bad...and I've honestly never made it past 14 or so hours before this morning. I'm coming up on 24 hours and it scares me that I already feel so shitty and the worst hasn't even started :( As a new-poster (I've been using this site for a LONG TIME), I'd love any feedback on OTC goodies to help make this easier. I'm just looking for a support group to help me through these withdrawls I'll inevitably start having in the very near future if I can't get a hold of anything pills today.

oh...and since benzos were included in the guide and they're not exactly OTC i can probably also add that Ketamine completely stops (postpones...?) all the physical and mental withdrawl from opiates...

i managed to not get dopesick for a couple of days by doing an IM every hour or so a while back...but i would NOT recommend this to anyone

in my experience K helps much more with the mental recovery following the 3-5 day "dopesick" stage. MAPS (the multi-disciplinary association for psychedlic studies) has also recently released studies that have found ketamine does indeed have therapeutic value in treating acute depression, which i personally feel for at least 2-4 weeks after my physical withdrawal. i've found that bumping a light dose of ketamine (30 mg's or so) when my depression starts to get extremely debilitating does wonders, temporarily letting me drift away from the crushing pain of existence that is depression. the 30 mg dose keeps my spirits up for days at a time, and i am careful to absolutely NOT use K any more than i have to to feel comfortable. i feel it's usefulness runs its course in about 2 weeks. after that, it's up to me to start being constructive and getting involved with life instead of burying my anxieties in opiates, ketamine or otherwise. i am fully aware of the potential for cross-addiction, but for me personally, the depressive mental aspect of opiate withdrawal is by far the worst part, and anti-depressants are not an option for a temporary problem in my eyes. ketamine gives me the immediate and short-acting relief that i need to get back on my feet.

Hey guys, Im tapering off tramadol right now. I wanted to get some input on drug combinations. Ive been taking tramadol for pain and depression and, recently, I finally asked my doctor to help me taper off. Shes given me Prozac (which is pretty helpful) and meloxicam for the restlessness. However, I still cant get to sleep at night so I have some valium that I just started which works wonders (not prescribed). I am worried about getting hooked however and if it interacts with the Prozac. One more thing- I have been originally prescribed concerta for mild a.d.d. which I haven't even touched since I started using valium because that I know is a dangerous combo. I also stopped concerta because that coming down gives me the worst feeling in the world and it lasts all night. Its seems like if I could find a way to ease the anxiety I can stay on my prescribed Prozac and low dose of concerta. How has Kava and/or l-tyrosine worked on some people? I Any other suggestions for non-addictive anxiety/sleep remedies?

^I'm in tramadol w/d too atm and trust me you don't want to use benzos, or atleast you don't want an addiction. The withdrawal is much much worse IME and it lasts so disgustingly long, so do anything you can to avoid that diazepam like the plague. Using it 1-2 times a week could work (for a short time), but it's tough to stick to that regimen. It's better to suffer a little more now than to add a LOOOOONG ass withdrawal from benzos to your problem. I speak from experience.

You should look into kava kava as a gabaergic

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned (I only skimmed through page 1) but magnesium can be of help too as a muscle relaxant that has no downsides.

Nice post and nice tips. Appreciate the effort.

DO NOT DO BENZOS!!! You're gonna have to just stick it out and feel shitty! It's just gonna have to be! Niacin,magnesium,tonic water, these things have all helped me in relaxing and sleeping- with my muscles- especially the niacin- good luck - you can do it- just don't get hooked on other addictive drugs to get off certain drugs- I have been down this road- opiates>Suboxone>benzos>more Suboxone ..... 8 years later ....if only I had a good dr that would have worked with me!!!!

Thanks a ton for the replies. I figured benzos would not be the right path to take as I move through this tapering process. PilltoChill: Thanks for the advice, it feels good to know I am not the only one going through this. I will definitely try the Kava Kava. And Luv3paws (I love the username :)), Magnesium never crossed my mind and I probably have some niacin and magnesium hanging around in the vitamin cabinet. Im lucky enough to have my doc working with me so I am going to tell her that I tried the benzos but I know my addiction will just keep those in my life long after the tramadols are gone. I feel for you all who have to deal with this withdrawal bullshit. But as always, take it one day at a time because thinking too much about the future is what keeps me up at night. Breathing techniques also help to ease the mind into a calm state. But sometimes, you just cant shake the symptoms. Therefore, Im gonna give some new remedies a try and put the valium away for now. Good luck to all who are in this boat. May we all make it through successfully.

I've quit opiates and subs. In order to finally quit, I used about 4-8mg of Xanax a day (at first), Gatorade/Powerade/Vitamin Water, Tylenol/Advil, Protein Shakes like Muscle Milk, Loperamide, & benadryl. The liquids that I listed kept you hydrated. You need to slowly begin to eat and exercise, even if it's just a little at a time. Loperamide (Immodium AD) is an OTC opiate used for diarrhea that doesn't cross the BBB, so it won't get you high but it'll stop the sh*ts and RLS and stomach pains. The tylenol/advil for any headaches or body pain. The benadryl for help with the sneezing, running nose, watery eyes, & restlessness. The most important factor in a quitting supply kit is Xanax. Be cautious because these are somewhat addictive if overused or used improperly. These completely eliminate all anxiety, muscle cramps, insomnia, & put you in a good mood. It's almost impossible to OD on Xanax, so don't mess around with tiny doses, take enough so that you feel it. 1.5-3mgs per dose should make you feel MUCH better. Keep in mind, they are addictive, so proceed with caution. Xanax will also give you the munchies, which is good during withdrawal. Suboxone WD doesn't start for 2-3 days until after your last dose, and heroin/oxy withdrawal begins 12-24 hous after your last dose so you shouldn't start this regime until then. Having something to occupy your time like DVD box sets, books, magazines, ANYTHING. The withdrawal will last 3-5 weeks with subs and 2-4 weeks with oxy/heroin/vicodin, ect, so it'll cost some dollars to buy all these supplies, but your sobriety is worth it so stick to it, you can/you NEED, to do this. Cut down on your Xanax and loperamide use by 25% each week. Also, never take more than 3,000 mgs of tylenol a day, it's awful for your liver. I've helped 44 people stay clean from subs & opiates with this plan and I have a day by day instructional guide to follow and I also provide all the meds that I listed. I'm also available for 24/7 telephone or email support. Your party is over. It's time for you to get your life back!!! My email address is [email protected]. Try it my way and set your life free. Your old life is waiting for you. Take care.
Jeff

I have a question. I current do anywhere from 150 to 300 mgs oxycodone daily orally. I need to stop and now. I do not snort or shoot just orally. My question is this, how bad will the withdrawls be? Been taking them for about 3 years now and do not want to use any other recepies or medications, just stopping cold turkey. Any input would greatly be appreciated. Thank you

I have a question. I current do anywhere from 150 to 300 mgs oxycodone daily orally. I need to stop and now. I do not snort or shoot just orally. My question is this, how bad will the withdrawls be? Been taking them for about 3 years now and do not want to use any other recepies or medications, just stopping cold turkey. Any input would greatly be appreciated. Thank you

Im not going to kid you they will suck bad if you go cold turkey. I would highly suggest Clonidine and tapering or you will wish you were dead. Good news is that you have not crossed over to subs or methadone which has a much longer half life (in case you don't know this is the amount of time it takes your body to metabolize (break down) a particular opiate {or in fact any drug}. It is a function of exponential decay, or in plain words if a particular opiate has a half life of 24 hours and you take 100mg you will have 50mg in your system after 24 hours, after another 24 hours after that you will still have 12mg, 24 after that you will still have 6mg.. and so on). unfortunately for all people that have abstained from the needle ect. delivery method of the drug doesn't effect initial physical withdraw, sorry. It does however lessen your chances of OD and changes the order that the addictive behavior was logged by the limbic system or the reward pathway of the brain. This is ultimately in your favor later on when you have completed the easy part of getting clean, yeah i said the easy part.. but like us all you will not believe that bridge exists until you cross it and will curse my name during detox as a heretic. You see the brain categorizes experiences that cause dopamine releases in the brain, the bigger and quicker the release the higher up the categorization and thus the harder the associated addiction. Then a grand illusion comes into play, the real control of you is your limbic system not the frontal lobe of your cerebral cortex. You have now permanently reprogrammed your limbic system to think that taking those oxies is not only crutial to life but you have probably placed it on the top of the list. Your conscious mind, where you are thinking rite now is just guidance and temporary control over your instincts.. which you already reprogrammed. so you may have to seek the help of other clean addicts to stay that way.

anyway since you are on a short half-life opiate and sincerely want to stop resist with all your might the almost overwhelming urge you will have during withdraw to switch to a maintenance program of suboxone or methadone, these have very long half lives and will just the make the inevitable that much longer and worse. just to let you know in aug i came off 150mg methadone, 260mg roxies, 6mg xanax, and .5 to 1g of exTARcuriculars a day in three weeks and am still clean today.

What I would do If i were you. Provided you still have access to the oxys. take yourself down 10 milligrams at a time. so if your lowest comfortable maintenance dose is 150mg cut to 14mg and stay at that dose until you feel ok, not normal but decent, for me i cut down about ten milligrams every three or four days. Then i would add Clonidine to the mix if you have trouble or wish too speed the process. This is a non addictive non mood altering blood pressure medication that works wonders. I took .2mg every 3.75 hours at the end of my insane taper and was able to sleep, eat, and function and even fuck all the way throughout detoxing off that ridiculous dose. after you are clean it will take between 4.5 and five months for your opiate receptors to start to shut down and your brain should be relay clear by 7.5 months. it will suck don't kid yourself but now that your here it will have to be done. it will be pretty bad for a bit then every day gets a little better. very best of luck.

I would say having benzos has made the difference between me relapsing and not relapsing. There is only so much agitation and insomnia one can take. But I was a raging opiate fiend - my habit was huge. If you can go without I would recommend that. I am going to taper off the benzos once Uni starts besides I have reduced to only 2 5mg diazepam a day and a clonazepam at night.

Thank you 'neversickanymore' for your reply. I have done a little bit more research and do in fact agree that you are in fact correct in every aspect of this issue. I really appreciate your reply and advise and will in fact do this. I have faith i can beat this. I will not back down and give in to this devil. Just needed to know that there will be someone i can speak to during the rough part. I do in fact have access to the oxys of needed. But so far as of today i have not taken any for about 24 hours now. I do not feel any different as of yet and actually so far being 24 hours or so after my last dose feel pretty decent for now anyway. Putting me on these things was the absolute worse thing my doctor could have ever done. I really had no clue what i was getting into and my doc wasn't really giving me many answers at the time. Now knowing how devilish they are i would have much rather continued to deal with the pain rather than go on these meds. But a lesson was learned my wife and children have no idea how bad off i am with these right now and can not tell them hence the reason for my posts here. I am really glad to know that there are people out there that are willing to talk to someone else and try to help. That makes it a lot easier for me to kick this in the ass. I can do this, i can beat the devil. I will not give into temptation my mind is set and i will do it. I have in fact in the past tried to kick it without asking anyone for advise and in fact failed due to getting scared of the withdrawals before they even kicked in. But needless to say its a done deal. I am not backing down no matter how bad the with drawls get. I can do this. I will do this. Thank you so much again for your reply it made it a lot easier to deal with. I really can not thank you enough. I will in fact post daily to let you know how it is progressing. It really helps using the forum. Makes my mind feel at ease. Thank you again and be safe and also stay clean. You can do it as well. We all can we just need to set our minds to beat it. Take care and best of luck to you as well. If you need an ear to talk to as well i am here for you as well. Don't back down. Stay strong and we can do this.

Now sayimh the worstpart of witdrawl will be.over.in.5.days.only.pertains.to shorter.acting,more.abusable opiates..in my case.im dealinh with having to deal with the dreaded buprenorphine withdrawls,which can last.years..im in this boat.where im teyinh to drop mu dose below .5mg/day..and its surprisingly hard.each phase.of the.witjdrawls.last significantly longer.wjich.scared the shit.outa me. I was shootinh heroin for agood two years until i.went to rehab.and.the whole 28days.i did not.feel right at all.especiallyno energy..well afyer rehab mayne.a.few months afyer.i.got into.doinh.roxicodone.for a.year(15mgx4 times)/day..umtil my.gd decided.to switcj.to sunoxone..amd me amd herbeen on.tjay.for the past 3.or.4 years..amd i was done with opiates wem.ww got on.the subs...but.seeinh how suboxone works....iy reallu is a hard ome.to get off of.
Is there anh.pplthathave.neen aoan.subozone.amd are off now tjatcana give.advice.on how to maintain afyer.jimpimh off ur laat dose?iys just.so.harf..it likea to pick at u in a way.iaf thatsmakes semse

for loperamide please be careful and sure you want off for good before you start. I took it for a yr on and off with my other meds mixed in like switching back ad forth and it caused the begining of liver failure. im now just on hydro and trying to taper and it seems like those odd symptoms that lead me to get a liver function test are slowly leaving. i would add electrolytes and Dramamine to the meds list and hypnosis. if you are using hypnosis i would recommend either working with a therapist before or a recording that conditions a relaxation trigger before you w/d. the better conditioned the trigger is the easier it will be to use during the withdrawl. i'm hoping to taper over 6 weeks and i'm also using a recorded hypnosis session to train a deep relaxation trigger every day during the 6 weeks.