• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

GBL/GHB Addiction/withdrawal.

mukaki said:
The halflife of ghb is 22-28 minutes. I'm not really sure how to calculate it from here, but certainly 6 hours seems like enough?

you make it sound as if you wait 6 hours between doses you wont get addicted...

i'd just stop cold turkey right now, and see how things go, you shouldnt get anything bad considering your use, just have some available if things start to get wierd

If you take two days in a row off every week, and one week off every month, you will avoid all serious withdrawal symptoms. This is not to say you won't become addicted. But what harm is an addiction to a completely non-toxic substance if you can manage the addiction so there are no withdrawals?

Now, heed my words on the following: Despite lots of opinion to the contrary on this board, you WILL need to adjust your diet to avoid potassium depletion. Blood acidosis is also hotly debated, but I've done more GBL/GHB in my life than almost anyone I know of or have heard of, and my repeated blood testing supports the notion that chronic GHB/GBL use probably leads to acidosis, and it most certainly causes a depletion of potassium.

Please do not ask me to go into the details of the argument again, as there exists a gigantic amount of information that I posted repeatedly some time ago, including my personal blood information.

What it all boils down to is this:

In addition to dosing in accordance to what I have suggested, always maintain a four hour gap between dosing. Don't let the fact that you don't feel the effects after ninety minutes fool you. Wait the full four hours and practically all of whatever you dosed will be out of your bloodstream.

Secondly, add Green Kamut (wheatgrass) to your diet. Just take one tablespoon each time you dose. I also recommend adding at least one full glass of WHITE grapefruit juice per day -- I drank a small glass every time I dosed for the last years that I used it (I no longer use this drug because of the draconian legal penalties imposed if caught).

Lastly, and probably most important -- ALWAYS MEASURE YOUR DOSE WITH A SYRINGE. this 'capfull' of 'scoop', as we called it back in the day, is silly. Remember, every batch of GHB is titrated to a different strength.

BTW, this advice is predicated on the assumption that you are familiar with the strength of your particular batch, and that your source always delivers the exact same strength. If you are not making GHB yourself, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER assume that your next batch is exactly the same as the last. Also, if you are using GBL, make certain that it is completely free of trace elements. Methods of purifying your GBL are posted in plenty already.

Remember, keep your GHB in SMALL, LABELED bottles. Keep it COLORED (I used regular food dye -- and I liked to keep mine a dark, deep blue like toilet water, since no other drinks I know of are this color. The reason to keep it in smaller bottles is because GHB, when kept in liquid form, spontaneously converts to GBL and water, and vice versa. GBL is heavier than GHB, and over time, the small amounts of GBL that form in your GHB over time will settle toward the bottom. This is the reason that you hear about people saying "...GHB is unpredictable because I took the exact same dose from the end of my bottle and it kicked my assb- I swear it was a lot stronger...", and so forth. Again, GHB is completely predictable. What is inconsistent is the amount of care and attention to detail that users demonstrate.

I have spent a great deal of time researching GHB/GBL/1,4 butanediol and other pre/post-cursors. Moreover, as already stated, I used a huge amount of it over the past twenty years. Sometimes daily, sometimes sporadically. If improperly used, the addiction and withdrawal syndrome is probably the worst of all drugs. But when used properly, GHB is actually a drug (well, technically GHB is a FOOD; a simple carbohydrate) that can augment one's health, as well as overall sense of well-being.

-syn-

Last edited:
Thank you for all the useful answers. I guess I should get back to you with an update.

Yesterday I took 30 hours off GBL and i felt no withdrawals at all, I wasn't even feeling anxious. That was after 3-4 weeks of dosing like outlined in the original post. From all the advice given here, and my personal experience I have concluded that my dosing schedule, as of now, is not causing physical dependence.

I am aware of the dangers in escalating my use, but up until now that hasn't been a problem, additionally I'm starting to feel better, psychologically speaking, so I don't fear an escalation right now.

To those of you who are wondering, I AM seeing both a psychologist and a psychiatrist, so I'm hopefully well underway to getting better.

Secondly, add Green Kamut (wheatgrass) to your diet. Just take one tablespoon each time you dose. I also recommend adding at least one full glass of WHITE grapefruit juice per day -- I drank a small glass every time I dosed for the last years that I used it (I no longer use this drug because of the draconian legal penalties imposed if caught).

What about baking powder? Would that work? I guess that for most people it is certainly cheaper and more accesible?

Lastly, and probably most important -- ALWAYS MEASURE YOUR DOSE WITH A SYRINGE. this 'capfull' of 'scoop', as we called it back in the day, is silly. Remember, every batch of GHB is titrated to a different strength.

I'm using pure GBL and always measure with a pipette, doing anything else is plain stupid. Most of the deaths attributed to drugs among weekend users are due to GBL/GHB. I'm not planning to be a number in the statistics.

On a slightly different subject. How about making a physical dependency FAQ? I honestly can't be the only person wondering about whether their usage is "safe"? Maybe it would be useful to some of the opiate users?

I know this is a controversial subject but there is a difference between GBL and GHB, GBL has much worse rebound anxiety.

To keep physical dependance totally at bay I would not dose more then once every 24 hours. But everyone is different, and the way you know you are screwed is when you can't sleep without using GHB, at that point you are physically dependant.

Do NOT use baking powder! The reasons are many, but one of the more unpleasant (albeit less dangerous) reasons is that it will cause explosive diarrhea.

I know this because I have done it in order to alkalize my blood, which temporarily serves as a lactic acid buffer, thereby increasing anaerobic performance. Indeed, both power and endurance are augmented. It's known as bicarbonate loading, and the technique was first mastered by some powerlifting coaches over the decades.

However, it is a terrible idea to ingest baking soda every day, several times a day. The worst risk is that of having your stomach explode. The risks decrease in severity from there, but still...use the Green Kamut powder. Not only will this serve to alkalize your blood, it will do so without any negative sides, while simultaneously augmenting your general state of health.

loop life -

Here again, the most likely reason that you found GBL to be more predictable is because of the varying distillation ratios of GHB to water from one batch to the next.

The reason you get more dehydrated from GHB is because you most likely were taking NaGHB (or possibly KGHB), which you can readily see is a salt.

The solution to that is simple: drink more water. Even Gatorade can help tremendously in this regard.

In general, the withdrawal symptoms from GBL are considered more severe than those of GHB, although I suspect this is due to the fact that GBL is 1.6 times as potent as the strongest (pure) GHB, on a milligram for milligram basis, resulting in proportionately more severe withdrawals.

Long story

Long time since original post, but i thought it needed a little following up.

I managed not to get physically hooked on gbl when using as i indicated in my original post. That, however, didn't manage to solve my psychological issues and June 1. I tried to commit suicide, but luckily regretted and called 112 (the danish equivalent of 911). A friendly doctor persuaded me to let me be committed to a psychiatric hospital where I stayed for close to six months. I just got out and started using gbl again.

I guess the moral is that you shouldn't try to fix psychological issues with drugs. But on the bright side, gbl is very hard to get addicted to as long as you don't go 24/7.

mukaki said:
I guess the moral is that you shouldn't try to fix psychological issues with drugs. But on the bright side, gbl is very hard to get addicted to as long as you don't go 24/7.

I dont agree. If I use it one time during the day, I gotta use it for sleep otherwise I cant get no sleep. I'm addicted in a matter of days. And alot of people with me.

I wont touch gbl again unless I have some benzos

I to wanted to die during my first , and most intense withdrawel. It really sucks.

You almost died because of gbl,now you're using again and saying its "very hard to get addicted to"

I olmost hang myself in a freakin psychiatric hospital because of gbl

Use anything daily and you're an addict ... My Mam has a hoover (vacuum) addiction ... it's not fun ;)

I wish someone would invent a SILENT fuckin' hoover (vacuum) they seem to get noisier with each new generation :!

Nah, I don't stay with my Mam BTW luckily.

/tangent

OP: Just cos' you ran for a month on the dose regime with no physical side effects during your short vacation doesn't mean that you can continue that way and not end up psychologically or physically [more likely both] addicted to G. Tread very carefully and drop into EADD we have a wealth of regulars who either have or have had serious problems with G as GBL is legal in the UK (for now).

Ubermeister1984 said:
I dont agree. If I use it one time during the day, I gotta use it for sleep otherwise I cant get no sleep. I'm addicted in a matter of days. And alot of people with me.

I wont touch gbl again unless I have some benzos

I to wanted to die during my first , and most intense withdrawel. It really sucks.

You almost died because of gbl,now you're using again and saying its "very hard to get addicted to"

I olmost hang myself in a freakin psychiatric hospital because of gbl

Agreed,GBL can be to some people highy addictive.And yes it can grab you very quickly indeed.Having two or three doses during the evening can be enough to screw your sleep patterns up which in turn can lead to more dosing to get sleep and thats when the vicious circle begins.

First you need to convert GBL to GHB for your health and to stop the insane withdrawal. Second you need to use it judiciously in moderate amounts during the day to combat depression, if you are in such a bad place you can't control your use at all you need to not mess with it at all and just get professional help. There is no reason to be dosing high enough to be intoxicated or fall asleep, its anti-depressant effects can be achieved with 1 or 2 grams.

If you're depressed and don't respond to traditional meds like SSRIs and have at least some control over your use it can be a wonderful drug for lifting your mood, but its not for everyone.

the mood lifting effect just stops after a year though. And I was using it in moderation at first, but I needed more and more to get me to sleep. And why exactly is gbl bad for you're health garuda. I abused it for more then a year in huge doses, and I just got my liver/kidney functions checked.They where OK

my god man, gbl withdrawal after months 24/7 use is worse then hell. I really felt like I lost my soul even for months afterwards

I can only say be very careful. I have never been good at getting to sleep, so when I discovered GBL I used it for its euphoric properties to begin with but soon pretty much gave that up and used it exclusively for getting to sleep.
Now I know people say when you start using it for sleep you're on the road to addiction, but I thought as I only used it for sleep I'd be ok.
After a month of dosing 1.5ml before bed, and another 1.5 ml to get me back to sleep after the rebound, I was physically addicted. The w/d wasnt terrible, and only took a couple of days to kick. I had 2 10mg valium that i took when the anxiety was worst but it was very unpleasant nevertheless. I experienced shakiness and anxiety all the time and I didn't sleep for 48hrs.
So here is my testimony that just 3ml/day for a month can lead to physical w/d. Be careful