• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

New form of meth heading this way; 'Strawberry Quick'

erosion

Bluelight Crew
New form of meth heading this way; 'Strawberry Quick' combines drug with mix to give better taste
Benton Courier
May 2, 2007

A new form of methamphetamine called "Strawberry Quick," targeted at a new, and possibly younger, market, could make its way into Saline County, local law enforcement officials said. The latest method of mixing or "cutting" the meth uses a powdered drink mix that gives the drug a pink color and a sweeter taste, authorities said. The sweetness also makes the meth more palatable and partially masks its harsh chemical taste.

news

"We haven't had any instances of it here," Benton police Sgt. Kevin Russell said, "but it has been reported in Fayetteville and in Little Rock. So I am afraid it's just a matter of time."
Saline County Sheriff Phil Mask said he agreed with Russell on the new version's presence locally.
"We have not seen any cases in Saline County," Mask said, "but it [Strawberry Quick] has made its way into Pulaski County ... so I feel that it is coming down soon."
Because state laws put pseudoephedrine behind pharmacy counters, thereby making it harder to cook meth, Mask has said that meth dealers are bringing “ice” meth into Saline County from Mexico.

Pseudoephedrine is an ingredient in the manufacture of meth. Ice is a purer form of meth, authorities said.
Mask said he uses money seized by asset forfeitures to pay deputies overtime to find ice meth dealers. His office has produced a video titled “Meth in Saline County” and a brochure called “Methamphetamine Awareness Guide” to educate the public on the common chemicals and equipment used to make meth and to show the destructive effect meth has on a person.
Mask said the "Strawberry Quick" version of meth "is targeting the younger generation with its sweet taste, and parents need to keep a close eye on their kids. This is very new and it's marketing at kids,"
The sheriff said warning signs for meth use would include "any kind of erratic behavior ... if they are quick to anger, active and seem agitated, these could possibly be signs of meth use."

According to anti-meth.org, a Web site sponsored by White County (Ga.) Meth Task Force, users may experience: "agitation, excited speech, decreased appetites, and increased physical activity levels (other common symptoms include dilated pupils, nausea and vomiting, diarrhea, and elevated body temperature). Occasional episodes of sudden and violent behavior, intense paranoia, visual and auditory hallucinations, and bouts of insomnia ... a tendency to compulsively clean and groom and repetitively sort and disassemble objects, such as cars and other mechanical devices."
Because of its chemical properties, meth can easily be mixed into any water-based liquid. Police officials said they have even seen meth mixed with candy.
"[Strawberry Quick] can be taken orally in a drink or food of even straight up ... or in candy," Mask said. "This is about the lowest form — extreme measure — that people are taking. To market [this drug] to our youth ... it's just sickening and downright disturbing."
Meth is one of the most addictive drugs to date. Unlike the effects of a cocaine high, for example, that last about 15-20 minutes, a meth high can last anywhere from 2-14 hours, according to research. Another effect that all meth, including "Strawberry Quick," can cause is what is called "Meth Mouth," in which teeth decay, crack and break off, with the onset of gum disease.

Officials say "Strawberry Quick" can smooth what might normally be the chemically rough ingestion of the drug, making it easier for first-time users to try.
First-time users might feel alert, full of energy and self-confident in the initial onset of the drug, but hours later, brain cells release an enzyme that stops the dopamine flow, which is what sends feelings of pleasure.
If a person keeps taking meth, he will potentially lose the ability to experience pleasure.
The anti-meth.org Web site states: "Over time, meth appears to cause reduced levels of dopamine, which can result in symptoms like those of Parkinson's disease and Type II schizophrenia. Meth causes increased heart rate and blood pressure and can cause irreversible damage to blood vessels in the brain, producing strokes. Other effects of meth include respiratory problems, irregular heartbeat and extreme anorexia. Its use can result in cardiovascular collapse and death."
During an investigation last month, Arkansas police officers found a bundle of materials suspected of being used to cook methamphetamine in a trash can — but what gave them pause were the packets of a strawberry-flavored children’s drink mix next to it.
From lollipops to high-sugar sodas, law enforcement officials say they’ve found meth cut with a variety of candies, drinks and other materials over the years. Officials say the “designer meth” can smooth the chemically rough ingestion of the drug, making it easier for first-time users to try.
“It’s really a bitter substance ... so if you’re going to try to make it more consumable for the masses, then you’re going to want to try to take that edge off whichever way you can,” said Chris Harrison, chief illicit laboratory chemist at the Arkansas lab.

“The drug cartels operate just like any other corporation would — if they want to increase their market share, then they’re going to have to change something about it. This is just an evolution. They’ve saturated the heavy users, now they are moving onto some other people,” he said.
The latest meth cut, known as “Strawberry Quick,” uses powdered drink mix to give the drug a pink coloring. The sweetness of the powder can make meth more palatable and partially masks its harsh chemical taste.
The new cut has been the focus of several law enforcement bulletins in western states.
While there have been several reported cases of police finding the cut in Arkansas, it is “not widespread,” said William Bryant, assistant special agent in charge of the Drug Enforcement Agency’s Little Rock district office.
“It’s a different spin, like a marketing thing,” Bryant said.
That marketing has taken a variety of forms for methamphetamine, found in powder and in a crystalized form similar to broken glass. Its low boiling point allows for it to easily be smoked or injected as a liquid into the bloodstream.

Because of its chemical properties, meth easily mixes into any water-based liquid. Caffeinated, high-sugar energy drinks and sodas often litter areas where meth cookers manufacture the drug, sometimes used as a chaser to the stimulant, Harrison said.
Outside of drinks, police also have seen meth mixed with a variety of candy, cola and chocolate flavors. Cutting it with something else also may help cutting down the burning sensation some have when snorting powdered meth, Harrison said. When snorted, he said meth can destroy a person’s septum.
“You have some hard-core users that are prepared for the burn that methamphetamine will have,” Harrison said. “Snorting it is supposed to be really hard on the nostrils
Some meth cookers also have dyed meth different colors using a process similar to that used to make rock candy, though Harrison said it didn’t help cover the taste.
“Strawberry Quick” came to prominence in January, after the Nevada Department of Public Safety issued a bulletin describing the type of meth there, said Steve Robertson, a Washington-based spokesman for the DEA. In the time since, Robertson says DEA agents have heard reports of flavored meth appearing in Missouri, Texas, Washington state and Wisconsin — though he stressed it was not a nationwide phenomenon.
“Traffickers are out there and are trying to sell it to customers, whether they are young customers or older, brand-new customers by changing the color or the taste or just giving it a less-intimidating name, they are trying to make it seem less dangerous and lure this new customer base,” Robertson said. “If someone was completely terrified of trying it, it might diminish the threat.”

The reports of flavored meth come as the DEA and local police department keep increased pressure on the drug’s manufacturers. In 2005, the Arkansas Legislature required those purchasing over-the-counter medications that can be used to cook meth show identification and that the drugs be stored in a secure location. This year, the Legislature approved creating an electronic database to monitor sales of the medications.
Bryant says those crackdowns contributed the number of found methamphetamine labs in Arkansas dropping from 1,206 in 2004 to 446 last year. In the first quarter of this year, he said there have been only 56 labs found.
However, Harrison cautioned as the number of discovered labs has dropped, the amount of methamphetamine being seized by police has increased steadily. He said that could be coming from operations not being found by police, as well as meth coming into the state from the west coast and Mexico.
Rick Gallagher, assistant director of the state Crime Laboratory, said the drug remains one of the most abused in the state.
“It might vary from place to place like alcohol and marijuana, but you’d hear the word ’methamphetamine’ a whole lot,” Gallagher said.

Link

Sometimes I can't determine whether the LE officers making these kinds of statements are just stupid, or they have some brilliant PR strategy mapped out and I'm too stupid to figure out what it is.

But then I remember that in 40 years of fighting the "war on drugs" they haven't made a dent in supply or demand and that, yes, they really are stupid.

DEA dummy said:
“Traffickers are out there and are trying to sell it to customers, whether they are young customers or older, brand-new customers by changing the color or the taste or just giving it a less-intimidating name, they are trying to make it seem less dangerous and lure this new customer base,” Robertson said. “If someone was completely terrified of trying it, it might diminish the threat.”
I mean, words just can't express the idiocy behind a statement like this. One might as well say, "No worries! The cyanide in the milk I'm giving you tastes like strawberries, so you'll be fine! I have Banana Quick, if you don't like strawberry..."

Someone mentioned it before....kids don't have money--dealers aren't interested in them. There's enough money to be made off of adults who are all grown up and can make adult decisions about whether or not to use meth.

Last edited:
i could imagine being a 3rd grader and hearing that they make strawberry flavored meth, and i would smoke it, because strawberry is appealing to young children 8) 8) because as we all know young kids love flavored drugs and have lots of money and deal with shady older drug dealers. 8) 8(

This is such a blatant attempt on the gov's part to whip parents into a froth of panic, so they'll continue to support the failed, ridiculous War On Drugs.

^^^^ lol...

June Cleaver: "Have you been selling meth to Beaver again, Eddie?!"

Eddie Haskell: "Oh no Mrs. Cleaver, I've just been supplying Theodore with a nutritious strawberry drink."

Wally Cleaver: "Come off it Eddie! There's crank in that Quick!"

Lumpy Rutherford: "You could have fooled me! The last pint Eddie sold me was nothing but Quick..."

June Cleaver: "Beaver!!"

Beaver Cleaver: "Hi Mom! Hi Wally! Hi Lumpy!.....hi eddie...."

Eddie Haskell: "Alright squirt! Where's the 500 bucks you owe me!?! Cough it up or I'm gonna belt ya!"

Ahaha brilliant. Now Soccer Moms everywhere will boycott Quick so their children won't have a reason to mention it.

tobala said:
June Cleaver: "Have you been selling meth to Beaver again, Eddie?!"

Eddie Haskell: "Oh no Mrs. Cleaver, I've just been supplying Theodore with a nutritious strawberry drink."

Wally Cleaver: "Come off it Eddie! There's crank in that Quick!"

Lumpy Rutherford: "You could have fooled me! The last pint Eddie sold me was nothing but Quick..."

June Cleaver: "Beaver!!"

Beaver Cleaver: "Hi Mom! Hi Wally! Hi Lumpy!.....hi eddie...."

Eddie Haskell: "Alright squirt! Where's the 500 bucks you owe me!?! Cough it up or I'm gonna belt ya!"

Hahaha

The sheriff said warning signs for meth use would include "any kind of erratic behavior ... if they are quick to anger, active and seem agitated, these could possibly be signs of meth use."

Wait...I thought those were signs that the kid should be pumped full of Ritalin!?

However, Harrison cautioned as the number of discovered labs has dropped, the amount of methamphetamine being seized by police has increased steadily.

Your tax dollars hard at work!

Last edited:
...quick to anger, active and seem agitated...
Could also describe a lot of law enforcement personnel in my experience...

^^^^ Awesome! I guess with crank it would be called Methlee Quik...

NikkiNumberNine said:
This is such a blatant attempt on the gov's part to whip parents into a froth of panic, so they'll continue to support the failed, ridiculous War On Drugs.

still, its something to get them to STFU about marijuana for once.

every single fucking "above the influence" or w/e bullshit ads they have out nowadays all end with a joint burning or people offering other kids pot, its never about alcohol or tobacco or harder drugs that kill people, it's ALWAYS fucking pot, UGH. :X :X

this sounds weird to me, i dont know how powdered drink mix would mask the taste of meth...

im not meth pro, but the times i have done it, the taste is recognizeable

^^^^ You're trying to use logic. And that's normally a good thing, but here we're dealing with law enforcement as they use any absurdity to keep people scared of the Jew/Communist/Drug Fiend/Insert-Your-Imaginary-Enemy-Here.

And they know the best way to scare people is to invent an imaginary threat to their kids, and this is an example of the lengths they will go to the keep the "drug war" going as long as they can.