• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

how long can one (safely) go without eating?

I've gone almost 3 whole days without food and water, in a drugged-out feverish state

I went for a few days with nothing. I was soon lying in a hospital bed with some yummy IV drip.

wesmdow said:
how long can one go without eating before it becomes physically harmful?

i havent really eaten in 4 days and i still cant bear to...well i got down half a sandwich today... but its starting to scare me... i think its fucking with my emotions too...

i feel like i should eat but i just cant. how long before i like... pass out and die?:p

i guess ill add that ive always had problems eating enough food, and its not an image thing. i just dont get hungry/forget to eat.

but recently its gotten out of hand. i had a bad ecstasy pill that made me unable to eat for 2 days... and on the second day i got ascrip to adderall, which TOTALLY muted my appetite.

ive lost 18 lbs this week! i am like.. freakishly skinny at this point.. 5'11" and 120lbs even...

what do i do? (stopping adderall is the obvious answer, but thats sooo much easier said than done!)

am i REALLY in danger or will this pass? is it really necessary to eat every single day? (ive always felt like people, americans in particular, overeat to the extreme...)

first off, all americans dont eat unhealthy

that be like me saying all french people smell.

Using pot is a great way to gain weight, smoke a bowl and you will hungry, also the muscle relaxant Soma makes you hungry as well.

zigzag| dta said:
first off, all americans dont eat unhealthy.

You have got to be kidding.

Approximately 127 million adults in the U.S. are overweight, 60 million obese, and 9 million severely obese.

This fact is taken from the American Obesity Association.

I consumed nothing but water and apple juice for 3 days and came down with a bad cold. body need food to stay healthy.

Jus eat the damn food. Yea, you gotta eat to live. Sucks, but true. so, choke it down. i know it sucks to do that when you aint hungry, but if you are logical at all youll just handle your biz and do what you gotta do, to not eat when you know you are physically starving is just bein silly. If you are adult enough to use drugs youre also adult enough to handle your eating maturely and not that "Well, like, i did drugs, and im not hungry, and im loosing weight" Well its stupid to even ask what to to, you know what you have to do, so do it.

Good advice.. I think most people on this message board know what it's like to try to eat food when you're on an amphetamine but you have to do it. You know that you have to do it.

Come on, if you're a recreational drug user then you should be used to swallowing/tasting disgusting things and forcing yourself to control your gag reflex and just do it for the sake of the high. This is the same thing except for the sake of your health. Just do it.

I just recently spent more than a month without a kitchen so I was only buying prepared meals (fast food and restaurants) for about a week. I don't really like that food already so I was eating one fast food meal a day basically. Then from there I got so sick of eating that disgusting food so much that I just stopped eating.

When I say I stopped eating I mean I would probably eat a candy bar and a coke for the entire day.. or one cup of noodles for the whole day. I didn't totally stop eating (I wasn't on any drugs and I was actually hungry) but I was basically down to less than 1/2 a meal a day of worthless stuff like candy or caffeinated beverages.

My ability to write computer code soared and I was more lucid than I'd been in a long time and eventually my body sort of adjusted and wasn't making me feel hungry anymore. I really felt like I could go on eating this way forever and I'd be fine.

I noticed these really strange marks on my fingernails one day. They were sort of like white dots. I was freaking out thinking that they were some kind of nail fungus or something. After doing some research and looking at pictures though I found out they are spots caused either by trauma to a nail (slamming your finger in a door) or a zinc deficiency. This was my first indication that my health was deteriorating but I didn't take it very seriously.

Then one day I started having weird feelings in my chest which when they first started happening I thought was some kind of blockage in my throat or something because it was at the top of my chest/bottom of my throat. Like most guys do I just ignored the problem and hoped it would resolve itself.

Then for the next couple of days the problem didn't go away and it had become an issue for me when I tried to go to sleep because it happened so frequently. I finally got the idea to take my pulse and see if it was being effected every time this strange feeling happened.

Sure enough, I would feel something slight in my chest that I can't really describe and my pulse would skip a beat then I'd get the strange feeling in my chest that had been bothering me then there was a "surge" in my pulse. It became very clear to me that my heart was skipping beats and the feeling I was getting was the rush of blood or whatever when my heart started again.

This was after nearly a full month of surviving on less than a meal a day. My girlfriend was really worried and kept telling me to go to the hospital but I was still being stuborn about it.

I knew I had to do something though so I finally started cooking meals again and actually eating whenever I was hungry. I relearned what it was like to actually be hungry.

After a couple more days of eating 3 balanced meals a day the problem went away and I've been eating normally since then.

I just wanted to let you know that not eating enough can be a very serious problem especially when you drag it out over a long period of time. To answer your question I think you can safely go without eating for 2-3 days but only if it is a rare occurance and I don't know how adding amphetamines into the mix will affect that. If you are thinking you can go 2-3 days without eating and then eat some for a day or two then go back to amphetamines and not eating for 2-3 days over and over.. No, you can't and it will catch up to you very quickly (for me it took a month).

crystalcallas said:
I wish I could go for a period of time without eating.... :p I love food too much!
To the OP: ;)
ensure.jpg

since ensure is expensive, using the carnation instant breakfast with whole milk is a good alternative.

Stygian8Angel said:
yeah.... but c'mon. that's nowhere near all. There's a lot, yes, but most of the people i see around my area are healthy and thin.

Where the hell do you live?8)

you mentioned not being hungry and being anxious. I'm the same. If I start seeing my appetite drop I try to take my vitamins with some liquid cal-mag. At least somethings fueling you and it's not eating, it's swigging water with some pills in it! Force yourself to eat and when you do eat, eat fat, eat protein, eat carbs. I've been told to eat ice cream before bed. Personally frozen yogurt with fruit works when I can't eat.

Perpetual Indulgence said:
The American Obesity Assoc. must be lying. Damn propaganda!8(
penn and teller disagree with you too! they just did a show about this recently.

i love their show, either i vehemently agree with them, or think they are fucking idiots, there is no middle ground. :D