• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Lysergamides The famous "Orange Barrels" of LSD in the 70's

I've come across many differnet batches of acid.

Some have made me really think twice is some are ALD/DOM.

One batch of geltabs I got were incredible.

2 of these was ALL YOU NEEDED, and I mean it felt like a completely psychedelic experience, like 400ug or something. It was far more intense than any other 2 dose I got.

A month later I took 8 of the same batch, 8 of these potent geltabs. Being the psychonaut I was, I didn't worry.

Oh my god, I must have been near the 1000ug range or something, I didn't even know where I was, it was so insignificant to even try to reason that there was another way at looking at things besides what I was currently seeing.

I never came up so hard, I fainted for like what seemed hours, but it was only 20 minutes. Then I woke up, peaked my eyes out of the blanket and was immedietly confronted with a swirling world without ANY boundraries, I was THERE.

hahaha, that was my best trip ever.

Good acid exists, especially in Austin, Texas. It's everywhere.

Besides there's so many hippies/weird people in Austin, it's the only liberal city in Texas.

The jewel of texas, with alot of LSD!

Accurate doses

Enygma said:
how'd he manage to pull off that accurate of a dosage?

I never knew anyone who made it, but it would seem logical that they
would soak a sheet of blotter first and cut it after it dried, thus assuring
accurate doses. After a test run or so, the sheets could be pre-cut to
the desired size before soaking.

No?

Orange sunshine was the most intense stuff I ever tried.
My one +4 was on it.

I also fondly remember cerulean blue pie-cut blotter in
the mid-70s. Very trippy, with hallucinations at fairly
low doses.

i remember readin somewhere the the historical "electric kool aid acid test" was DOM and not LSD.

i dont see why people cant tell the difference between LSD and a DOx.
To me there is a big difference.
I ate some blotter a while back and half way thru my trip i knew it wasnt lsd.
Well sure enough i come o find out it was DOB.

expierenced trippers should be able to differeciate the 2 chemicals apart.
Just my opinion

Illusion25 said: "i remember readin somewhere the the historical "electric kool aid acid test" was DOM and not LSD."

This is not True.
It was LSD-25, pure and simple.

In fact, I have a picture of the Bus.

Wow, orange barrels. That takes me back. That was my first trip, in 1977. I got a single barrel from a friend who had had a bad trip the night before, and wanted to divest himself of all drugs. He urged me to only take half.

I probably would have been happy to have taken the whole, but it happened that we were going to a rock concert at Monash Uni that night, so I split it with my girlfriend (who had had LSD before). The split wasn’t exactly 50/50 so I got a bit more than half.

We dropped shortly before our friends arrived to pick us up. First effects were apparent in about 15 minutes, and when we finally tumbled out of the car at the venue (about 40 minutes) we were laughing hysterically.

The doors hadn’t opened so we sat around with others on the steps outside the venue. We met some other friends of my friends (who I didn’t know) but were clued in that my girl & I were tripping, and that it was my first time. This was really fortunate, as they were all supportive and friendly, plus they were “experienced” whereas my friends knew little about LSD. So a good set and setting emerged without any real planning. We also got given a couple of grass cookies. I don’t know if that potentiated the experience.

Sitting on the steps, I noticed that the tiles had a really pretty pattern printed on them. I pointed this out to a straight friend and he looked at me funny and suggested that it was the light coming through the window behind me. “Right” I thought, “Dallas Brooks Hall – stained glass windows”, so I turned to look, but there was a just a plain glass window. I looked back at the tiles and the patterns started to kaleidescope . I was agog. I really didn’t know what to expect, but even this was amazing.

It got a lot more amazing when the doors opened and we got into the foyer. This area features a huge concrete wall with a circular stained-glass window in the middle. The wall looked like it was made of molten lead, with huge patterns kaleidescoping in 3D across the surface. At a micro level you could see the strands in the carpet waving around to produce similar fractal images.

The peak of the trip came when we went in to watch the first band. They were a two-man electronic outfit. I doubt they were much good, but of course sounded amazing. The OEV at this time were incredible. All the leads behind the synthesisers became snakes writhing around. One of the performers played a sax solo, and aged to 10,000 years old before our eyes. A girl sitting in front of me had long curly hair which suddenly stood out from her head and braided itself into plats. What a riot.

After the first act we went back to the foyer where wild hallucinations continued. We started looking through a student newpaper and the images morphed into 3D cartoons. I pointed to a picture that looked like a bearded teacher we knew, and hair started pushing out of the page to extend the beard.

A little later we went for a walk outside to a café in the student union, again the hallucinations were impressive. At t he café, however, I noticed for the first time that I was coming down (I was a bit disappointed by this). This was probably 5-6 hours after dropping.

We went back to the venue for the headline act. Somehow I got separated from my friends, but it didn’t bother me, I just found a seat and enjoyed the rest of the concert. At the end, we all met up no problem.

This was by far the best trip I ever had. I took LSD probably another 100 times, but only once got close to the magic of that experience. It was incredibly clean – no mind-fuck, no body-load. Of course, I could certainly understand how such a powerful experience could go bad, as happened to the friend that gave me the barrel. It would be terrifying.

Now a word about potency. I had long assumed that my barrel was the product of Richard Kemp of “Operation Julie” fame in the UK. I’ve more recently changed my opinion, as the dosages don’t work out. My barrel was almost certainly “sunshine” at 300 ug. This would make my dose around 175ug, which is completely consistent with the effects of LSD at that dosage.

By coincidence, a couple of months ago I was playing golf with a friend (a 60 year old) who mentioned the words “orange barrel” It turns out that in his hippy days (again 1977) he hung out with friends who had a large stash of OBs. He says they used a razor to shave bits off an OB for a dose. Only the “hard core” would take a quarter or a half.

Sorry for the long post, but that’s what I know about OBs

I forgot to mention that the barrel I had was identical to those in the picture supplied by Toltec.

Also, I don't know about DOM, but there is no way you could confuse DOB with LSD. Although my tripping days are well over, as I've said before, I'd crawl over a kilo of DOB to get to a gram of acid.

mindsurfer said:
Wow, orange barrels. That takes me back. That was my first trip, in 1977. I got a single barrel from a friend who had had a bad trip the night before, and wanted to divest himself of all drugs. He urged me to only take half.

I probably would have been happy to have taken the whole, but it happened that we were going to a rock concert at Monash Uni that night, so I split it with my girlfriend (who had had LSD before). The split wasn’t exactly 50/50 so I got a bit more than half.

We dropped shortly before our friends arrived to pick us up. First effects were apparent in about 15 minutes, and when we finally tumbled out of the car at the venue (about 40 minutes) we were laughing hysterically.

The doors hadn’t opened so we sat around with others on the steps outside the venue. We met some other friends of my friends (who I didn’t know) but were clued in that my girl & I were tripping, and that it was my first time. This was really fortunate, as they were all supportive and friendly, plus they were “experienced” whereas my friends knew little about LSD. So a good set and setting emerged without any real planning. We also got given a couple of grass cookies. I don’t know if that potentiated the experience.

Sitting on the steps, I noticed that the tiles had a really pretty pattern printed on them. I pointed this out to a straight friend and he looked at me funny and suggested that it was the light coming through the window behind me. “Right” I thought, “Dallas Brooks Hall – stained glass windows”, so I turned to look, but there was a just a plain glass window. I looked back at the tiles and the patterns started to kaleidescope . I was agog. I really didn’t know what to expect, but even this was amazing.

It got a lot more amazing when the doors opened and we got into the foyer. This area features a huge concrete wall with a circular stained-glass window in the middle. The wall looked like it was made of molten lead, with huge patterns kaleidescoping in 3D across the surface. At a micro level you could see the strands in the carpet waving around to produce similar fractal images.

The peak of the trip came when we went in to watch the first band. They were a two-man electronic outfit. I doubt they were much good, but of course sounded amazing. The OEV at this time were incredible. All the leads behind the synthesisers became snakes writhing around. One of the performers played a sax solo, and aged to 10,000 years old before our eyes. A girl sitting in front of me had long curly hair which suddenly stood out from her head and braided itself into plats. What a riot.

After the first act we went back to the foyer where wild hallucinations continued. We started looking through a student newpaper and the images morphed into 3D cartoons. I pointed to a picture that looked like a bearded teacher we knew, and hair started pushing out of the page to extend the beard.

A little later we went for a walk outside to a café in the student union, again the hallucinations were impressive. At t he café, however, I noticed for the first time that I was coming down (I was a bit disappointed by this). This was probably 5-6 hours after dropping.

We went back to the venue for the headline act. Somehow I got separated from my friends, but it didn’t bother me, I just found a seat and enjoyed the rest of the concert. At the end, we all met up no problem.

This was by far the best trip I ever had. I took LSD probably another 100 times, but only once got close to the magic of that experience. It was incredibly clean – no mind-fuck, no body-load. Of course, I could certainly understand how such a powerful experience could go bad, as happened to the friend that gave me the barrel. It would be terrifying.

Now a word about potency. I had long assumed that my barrel was the product of Richard Kemp of “Operation Julie” fame in the UK. I’ve more recently changed my opinion, as the dosages don’t work out. My barrel was almost certainly “sunshine” at 300 ug. This would make my dose around 175ug, which is completely consistent with the effects of LSD at that dosage.

By coincidence, a couple of months ago I was playing golf with a friend (a 60 year old) who mentioned the words “orange barrel” It turns out that in his hippy days (again 1977) he hung out with friends who had a large stash of OBs. He says they used a razor to shave bits off an OB for a dose. Only the “hard core” would take a quarter or a half.

Sorry for the long post, but that’s what I know about OBs

Your little trip report is almost identical to all the ones I've heard relating to the Barrels...Sounds like you had a glowing experience and can still recall a lot of the detail to date..

i took orange barrels, and sunshines and all the good acid of 60's and 70's.
Sadly i cant remember much of it as this was in a past lifetime.
:)

hmmm. nice thread. i think there's a connection to the orange barrells
of the 70's to the abundance of the possible same substance that was
around in the late 80's to the early 90's in the north east.

but in the north east, they were called "mesc" tabs short for mescaline.

we all know those microdots couldn't have been mescaline but to this
day i'm not sure what they were because my experience with these
barrels differ from my experiences with LSD.

Orange barrels weren't microdots as I've seen them. The OB was about half of the size of a typical MDMA pill, and nearly as tall is it was wide, exactly like Toltec's picture

It was a very hard press, and when I split it with a knife half of it shot to the other side my the room. Just as well as it was orange, or I might never have found it!

Microdots that I've seen were much smaller, maybe 2mm or less in diameter.

mindsurfer said:
Orange barrels weren't microdots as I've seen them. The OB was about half of the size of a typical MDMA pill, and nearly as tall is it was wide, exactly like Toltec's picture

It was a very hard press, and when I split it with a knife half of it shot to the other side my the room. Just as well as it was orange, or I might never have found it!

Microdots that I've seen were much smaller, maybe 2mm or less in diameter.

Do you remember what the contents on the inside of the orange barrel looked like? Was it orange inside and contain speckles like a pressed MDMA pill or was it crystal?

PARooolller said:
Do you remember what the contents on the inside of the orange barrel looked like? Was it orange inside and contain speckles like a pressed MDMA pill or was it crystal?

At 300ug, I can't imagine that crystals would be anything other than filler. It's just too small an amount to see, especially when distributed throughout such a large tablet.

E

Orange all the way through, like a hard pressed MDMA pill. I've read on BL of microdots with a crystal in them, but never seen one. I think this might be a myth (seems like a really awkward way to package LSD) but you never know.

A friend had a microdot a couple of years ago he said was the size of a poppy seed. You wouldn't want to drop that on the carpet!

300 mics yeah! That’s a hit of LSD What happened to quality control?

mindsurfer said:
Orange all the way through, like a hard pressed MDMA pill. I've read on BL of microdots with a crystal in them, but never seen one. I think this might be a myth (seems like a really awkward way to package LSD) but you never know.

A friend had a microdot a couple of years ago he said was the size of a poppy seed. You wouldn't want to drop that on the carpet!

haha.. Yeah I figured that it would be orange on the inside

Not sure if anyone's mentioned this, but if the Orange Barrels were Sand/Scully product, it's possible they were ALD-52. The jury seems to be out on ALD-52. One side says that it degrades to LSD either environmentally or in the body. The other says that it's a less anxious trip, although only 90% as potent as LSD.

I suspect it would take carefully controlled study to establish if there was any effective difference between ALD-52 and LSD-25, and that is obviously not going to happen anytime soon. So I expect we'll never know.

I had zero anxiety on my orange barrel, but the friend that give it to me had a nightmare trip. So much for anecdotal evidence. Actually, I don't recall experiencing anxiety on any of my acid trips. That was psilocybin's job.

and the whole "ald-52" thing was just an attempt at a defense. They did produce it, but not in masse, scully admits this. I've had bonafide ALD-52, and i honestly could not tell the difference between it and LSD. And yeah, read The BEL book.....goes into some mostly true details. I think, like the MDMA pills of today, the original orange sunshine was a big hit, and it was followed by many imitatators. But a couple million of em got out there, from sand, scully, and *stark*. I still hear rumours about orange barrels popping up. The snowballs/doves/etc of the late 60s early 70s....