Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Lysergamides The famous "Orange Barrels" of LSD in the 70's

PARooolller

Bluelighter
So here's my deal...

Have any of you Bluelighter's ever heard of any older people mentioning Sunshine LSD in the form of Orange Barrels?

On many instances when discussing LSD with family members, hippies, and the older generation I've heard them mention these Orange Barrels and how unbeleivable they were...

All of the descriptions of the Barrels have been almost identical and they've all described them as an Orange Barrel that was supposed to be 3 hits...I'm guessing that it resembled more of a "Microdot" type of deal with a sort of pill-like form but they always reply back with "it was a Barrel"...

The first time I heard about this was when I was talking to my Uncle (who was and still is a huge psychonaut) at a family wedding about Timothy Leary and his days follwing him, and he said that the guy took a pin to the top of the barrell and it was filled with crystal...My uncle said he ate the whole thing and had the worst trip of his entire life...it was New Years 1970 and he was scared of being drafted..he said that the entire trip entailed him hiding in bushes and hearing sirens all night...He said he was also directed to only eat 1/3 of the mysterious barrel.

Then last night when I was walking town to a girl's house to get our freak on...I got into a convo with a homeless guy on the streets and he mentioned the fucking Orange Barrell LSD...I was just shocked at the coincidence...I wish I could go back in time and try an orange barrel because everyone who said they took them said they were mindblowing.

Anyone on this forum have any knowledge about this?

what is the deal with LSD and retrospective looks at history?

edit - some of the sunshine lsd was actually DOM

^ DOM is the only DOxx I have tried I would use again

samadhi_smiles said:

Ive never heard that one. Ive heard that it might have been ALD-52 but Nick Sand, one of the chemists charged with producing Orange Sunshine said that they were 300 ug hit of LSD-25. He says the amazing thing about Orange Sunshine is that every hit was exactly 300 ug, not 299, not 301, but 300.

http://www.matrixmasters.net/archive/NickSand/054-NickSand-PalenqueNorte2006.mp3

He talks about this in this speech he gave at Burning Man 2006.

OrneTTe said:
Ive never heard that one. Ive heard that it might have been ALD-52 but Nick Sand, one of the chemists charged with producing Orange Sunshine said that they were 300 ug hit of LSD-25. He says the amazing thing about Orange Sunshine is that every hit was exactly 300 ug, not 299, not 301, but 300.

http://www.matrixmasters.net/archive/NickSand/054-NickSand-PalenqueNorte2006.mp3

He talks about this in this speech he gave at Burning Man 2006.

how'd he manage to pull off that accurate of a dosage?

the celestial powers that be manifested themselves in and around him as he dosed the pills, ensuring absolute perfection.

Orange Sunshine.

It looked like a miniature can.

Back in the good-old-days, I knew several people who experimented with all of the Psychedelic goodies (although I was a late bloomer).

The way I remember Orange Sunshine is, it looked like a tiny tin-can. It was about an eighth-of-an-inch across, and a quarter-inch tall. It was orange (well, actually yellow-orange).

It was a pretty-good dose of LSD (it was supposed to be 250 micro-Grams). Most people, however, were taking 4-way Windowpane.

I was at a friend's house, and his roommate came in with a bag of 500 of them.

In the Summer of 1977, I was visiting Philip in Oakland. After an hour, his roommate got home, grinning ear-to-ear. They ran into the bedroom. A couple minutes later, Philip popped out with about 50 little orange cans in his left hand. He said: "Hey, look at this! I'm set until Thanksgiving."

He explained that Simon had just come back from the Haight-Ashbury with 500 hits. He got them for $2 a pop. We were looking at the cans, and laughing.

After a while he popped 2 of them. We walked the 2 blocks down to Lake Merritt. As we were plopped down on the grass, watching the joggers go by, he explained that this stuff was called Orange Sunshine. He said that it had been around for years, but that this was the first time he had any of it.

samadhi_smiles said:
what is the deal with LSD and retrospective looks at history?

the DOM wasnt orange barrles. pink wedges, well the stories we all heard about from the hippies going to the medical clinic.

High:)

PARooolller said:
So here's my deal...

Have any of you Bluelighter's ever heard of any older people mentioning Sunshine LSD in the form of Orange Barrels?

On many instances when discussing LSD with family members, hippies, and the older generation I've heard them mention these Orange Barrels and how unbeleivable they were...

All of the descriptions of the Barrels have been almost identical and they've all described them as an Orange Barrel that was supposed to be 3 hits...I'm guessing that it resembled more of a "Microdot" type of deal with a sort of pill-like form but they always reply back with "it was a Barrel"...

The first time I heard about this was when I was talking to my Uncle (who was and still is a huge psychonaut) at a family wedding about Timothy Leary and his days follwing him, and he said that the guy took a pin to the top of the barrell and it was filled with crystal...My uncle said he ate the whole thing and had the worst trip of his entire life...it was New Years 1970 and he was scared of being drafted..he said that the entire trip entailed him hiding in bushes and hearing sirens all night...He said he was also directed to only eat 1/3 of the mysterious barrel.

Then last night when I was walking town to a girl's house to get our freak on...I got into a convo with a homeless guy on the streets and he mentioned the fucking Orange Barrell LSD...I was just shocked at the coincidence...I wish I could go back in time and try an orange barrel because everyone who said they took them said they were mindblowing.

Anyone on this forum have any knowledge about this?

You gotta read the book "The Brotherhood of Eternal Love" the second addition is coming out this year, the book esentially revolves around the brotherhood who produced orange sunshine, So I think instead of calling the the brother hood of eternal love, which was there name, I think maybe " The Brotherhood of Eternal Sunshine" would of been a better name, at least I think it would of been more appropriate, cooler anyway. Anyone want to start up a "Brotherhood"?

High:) very entertaining

Solidly-here said:
Orange Sunshine.

It looked like a miniature can.

Back in the good-old-days, I knew several people who experimented with all of the Psychedelic goodies (although I was a late bloomer).

The way I remember Orange Sunshine is, it looked like a tiny tin-can. It was about an eighth-of-an-inch across, and a quarter-inch tall. It was orange (well, actually yellow-orange).

It was a pretty-good dose of LSD (it was supposed to be 250 micro-Grams). Most people, however, were taking 4-way Windowpane.

I was at a friend's house, and his roommate came in with a bag of 500 of them.

In the Summer of 1977, I was visiting Philip in Oakland. After an hour, his roommate got home, grinning ear-to-ear. They ran into the bedroom. A couple minutes later, Philip popped out with about 50 little orange cans in his left hand. He said: "Hey, look at this! I'm set until Thanksgiving."

He explained that Simon had just come back from the Haight-Ashbury with 500 hits. He got them for $2 a pop. We were looking at the cans, and laughing.

After a while he popped 2 of them. We walked the 2 blocks down to Lake Merritt. As we were plopped down on the grass, watching the joggers go by, he explained that this stuff was called Orange Sunshine. He said that it had been around for years, but that this was the first time he had any of it.

Well why don't you elaborate on your story, you cut it short, what happened after your buddy ate 600mics of pure "a" & did you not try any? Anyhow your story sounds like legend to me, fuck! I wish I was a baby boomer, man I daydream about pickin up 500 hits of orange sunshine for 2 bucks a pop, I think something like that could almost maybe last a lifetime, in fact I think it could, Ah the life of a daydreamer;), anyway back to reality, Cool story continue if thier is more:)

Yeah definately...supposedly popping 2 of the barrels is a fucking HEROIC dose...I heard they were unbelievably potent and all it took was 1/3 of a barrel

Youkai said:
the DOM wasnt orange barrles. pink wedges, well the stories we all heard about from the hippies going to the medical clinic.

Also Orange Wedges were DOM

Lysergic animal wants MORE: "Well why don't you elaborate on your story, you cut it short, what happened after your buddy ate 600mics of pure "a"?"

600 micro-Grams is NOT an overwhelming amount, for an experienced Psychonaut.
Although I usually only take small doses (when I can find any), it's because I can almost NEVER find any.
When it was plentiful, I frequently took about 400 Mics (though it's hard to know how much the doses were, except those days when I knew the guy who made them up).
And, I took at least 600 Mics twice.

At the time of the Lake Merritt trip, Philip had Trip'd (at least) 200 times before.
This was just another Trip to him.
He (mostly) took 4-way Windowpane, which actually is 400 micro-Grams (or 320 Mics, depending on who made them up).
This time he took 2 Hits of Orange Sunshine (which are only 250 Mics each).

The 300 Mic figure stated is a long-lost mis-conception.
I am pretty darn sure of this.
And, for Dosing, you could cut them in half (if you want).

And, earlier someone asked about how a person could dose a Blotter with exactly 300 Mics.
Well, if the person who creates them is careful (AND can add), he can make sure that the "average" weight of LSD is precisely 300 Mics.
Certainly, some Blotters may have a smidge more (and some will have a smidge less), depending on how the evaporation rate is.

As I said earlier, I didn't do any Trip'n back then.
I easily could have, but I chose not to.

Philip liked to use the power of LSD-25 to remember past events.
So, he hallucinated about an old g'friend Debbie.
He sang several songs, including a Greatful Dead ditty.
And, at one point, pretended that the Joggers were running backwards.

I was around him several times while Trip'n.
This day was one of his less-exciting Trips.

in the film JOE, 1970, a drug dealer rips kids off with orange vitamins, and sells them as very good acid. my question was if people bought into this, then there must have been a form of acid like that, so maybe this is what they related it to. oh and before oyu say it was a movie, this movie was very invovled i about the drug culture of the time and very accurate. writer/director knew what they were talling about

I know nothing of the 1970's, but I know good LSD is still around if you look in the right places... Long live LSD, be it orange barrels, plain white blotter, WTFever!

I took Orange Sunshine in 1970/71. The picture below is the real deal.
I have taken plenty of doses to date (300+), I must say that Orange Sunshine has to have been the best LSD I have ever taken. (Albeit it was my first time experiencing LSD).

It could have been DOM aka STP, too. As what many believed it was years later to find out it was not STP. I'll only know if I can someday get my hands on DOM.

EDIT: ( Update to this post ) Tried Dom @ 10mg and DOM, it certainly wasn't anything like what I remember Orange Sunshine to be... DOM is a keeper by the way.. I loved it!

OrangeSunshine.jpg

I would like to add to my old post: 2019
I can't believe my Luck!!
My search is finally over!!!

I have found a single barrow of Orange Sunshine, via my daughter's "friends" Dad... (Ironically gave him (Son) a hit of ALD-52 for his the first experience with LSD)... (Dad) He had completely forgotten about it; as time, marriage and family was the reason to forget about something as profound as the "legendary Orange Sunshine" perhaps.

When I Asked: I was told, It was stored in an old shirt pocket, in a sandwich baggie since 1970/72 (he says)... This family has been living in the same home for 60 years. He is a few years older than I (i'm 61 now)
When I told him; that for the last 50 years or so, I have been wondering and searching for what I took in 1971, just to take it again.
Instead of destroying it, He gave it to me. He (Dad) stopped using drugs years ago, and he was hesitant to give it to me.

I research for years, eventually to meet, even talked with the creator of Orange Sunshine in the late 90’s early 2000’s
I was told what everyone now knows OS was> 300ug and pure as it could be.

I plan on taking it to find out (and) to close this chapter in my life. Crazy Right!
I do realize that the OS LSD barrow is old and may be weak, do to time, and the way it was stored. I know from reading, LSD can last for the decade too. (We will find out now)

I do realize that Orange Sunshine was my first LSD experience, and that Could Be WHY, I had such a profound life-changing experience...

I calculated I may have taken 300 + trips with LSD to date. Only 4 or 5 times in the past 40 years has these random doses, of LSD comes close to my Orange Sunshine experience.. I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area all this time.. The LSD was Plentiful.

So in about 3 months, I will know.. I will Post back and share the results and the rest of my story with this community.
I hope this helps everyone here :)
Namaste

Last edited:
Skahead watched a movie: "a drug dealer rips kids off with orange vitamins, and sells them as very good acid. my question was if people bought into this, then there must have been a form of acid like that."

LSD has taken MANY forms over the years.

I remember when people kept sugar cubes in the refrigerator.
Just about anything water-soluable can be used to "store" LSD.
Heck, even today, some people "Juice up" an Altoid or 2.

So, if in the movie, someone said that he had Dosed some Flintstones Vitamins ... WHY NOT?

And, of course, those kids in the movie may have heard of Orange Sunshine, and noticed that the Vitamins were Orange (and just thought that those were what it is).

Skahead, I have a question for you. You claim: "his movie was very involved in ... the drug culture of the time and [it was] very accurate. writer/director knew what they were talking about."

How do you know this?
Do you happen to the know the Screenwriter?

Solidly-here said:
Skahead watched a movie: "a drug dealer rips kids off with orange vitamins, and sells them as very good acid. my question was if people bought into this, then there must have been a form of acid like that."

LSD has taken MANY forms over the years.

I remember when people kept sugar cubes in the refrigerator.
Just about anything water-soluable can be used to "store" LSD.
Heck, even today, some people "Juice up" an Altoid or 2.

So, if in the movie, someone said that he had Dosed some Flintstones Vitamins ... WHY NOT?

And, of course, those kids in the movie may have heard of Orange Sunshine, and noticed that the Vitamins were Orange (and just thought that those were what it is).

Skahead, I have a question for you. You claim: "his movie was very involved in ... the drug culture of the time and [it was] very accurate. writer/director knew what they were talking about."

How do you know this?
Do you happen to the know the Screenwriter?
thanks for answering my aquestion, and no i dont the screenwriter, but fromm watching the movie things are accurate, no bullshit drug stuff, and with my dad watching it, he was greatly immersed in the drug world himself in that time. we were talking and he said thats exactly the way it was back then. like when the dealer tallks his lingo and makes his sales, and picks up his goods, everything in the movie relating to drugs is true, not some crap a writer mad eup.