• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Lysergamides The famous "Orange Barrels" of LSD in the 70's

I had the pleasureof these orange barrels in 1971 at penn state main campus...they were about 1/4 inch high in the shape of an old wooden wine barrel..These were incredible four way hits. Four people eight hours and the most pleasurable high (and toughest one once) i had one difficult trip out of about 10 great ones and intense. I remember becoming one with a foosball maching lol.. ALl i can say is i have tried many thigs since then but nothing was ever better..even the cr@p that goes for lsd today

The fact that people had mind-blowing experiences, even splitting them 4+ ways makes me think that they weren't LSD. I always thought that a great deal of the 'good LSD' going round in the 60s/70s was simply appropriately dosed DOM. As it's an established historical fact that DOM (the called STP- which was a clusterfuck) was first sold as orange, pressed pills. They were thinner than your average E pill, but taller- i.e. more like a barrel.

I think 90% of this thread is nostalgic bullshit. I reckon the 'orange barrel myth' is a bit of quick thinking on the part of some fucking stupid ass drug manufacturers "Nah man, this won't make you flip out, these ain't STP- this is orange barrel LSD my brother, open your third eye" [gives over 10mg DOM pill, which was the dose of the second batch of pills DOM pills marketed- the first were meant to be 18mg, but a lot were 20mg+].

All I'm saying is what's more plausible- a dealer lied to you (or what lied to themselves) and sold you some DOM, which was called STP, in the '60s and you had a mind blowing time. Now that DOM is pretty much non-existant (and DOM and DOB are completely different animals- DOC is much more like DOM than DOB) you're only ever gonna get tabs/microdots of LSD. Different chemical, different experience.

Or is it more plausible that the 'real' chemical structure of LSD was some how forgotten or changed and LSD manufacturers don't actually make LSD any more- despite decades of DEA evidence to the contrary? All that has happened is people have worked out that giving 250ug to some idiot who's just trying to fit in is going to make them flip the fuck out- so now tabs are around 80-120ug. Plus LSD has become a 'club drug' and is primarially used as a 'club drug'. You can't get drunk at a bar on 250ug, but on 90ug you can drink MORE, keep it together and have a great time. Just the fact that so few people seem to actually use LSD as a 'tripping drug' (that either take a 10 strip or take some insane dose of an RC if they wanna trip) means that a tab/microdot/whatever is going to a lowever ug/dose in the '10s. It has nothing to do with the chemical- if any thing, exluding the RC scene, there was MORE genuinely 'fake acid' floating round in the 70s than now. Now it's just low dose per tab- eat 10, trip balls.

The MARKET not the CHEMICAL has changed. And the orange barrels were distinctive not because they were LSD, but because they were probably DOM :p.

Fucking old hippies. Love you guys- seriously, old hippies gave me a place in society- but your beliefs about the mystical powers of LSD shit me up the wall. I actually gave this old hippie (68 ) a big hit (150mg+) of DMT just because we had known eachother so long and disagreed so long cos I got over acid once I turned like 20 and forgot about it once I tried DMT while he still talked about LSD like it was some fucking deity- I said that that was simply a product of LSD triggering particularly important experiences in his life and that the experience, not the chemical, should be put on a pedestal...and that DMT not LSD is the best and most reliable of having those experiences ;). He hadn't taken DMT before because he encountered it back when people didn't know to smoke it/how to smoke it properly- he said it was a white powder that dissolved in water (so prob synthetic- commercial sized extraction seems to be a recent thing) and' had to be IV'd' so that it would work (pre knowing about MAOI, as well as the fact that it was converted into a salt rather than left as a freebase, which is insoluble in water, helps date it). He never touched needles, so declined. By the time he discovered he could have freebased and smoked it 20 years had passed along with the oppotunity

The DMT blew his FUCKING MIND! One of the first things he did was recant his a bunch of his former positions when it comes to the 'spiritual/theraputic' side of psychedelics and agreed that DMT trumps LSD hands fucking down. And I've never found anything that comes close to what DMT can do and has done for me personally. DMT just stimulates the parts of your brain/psyche/ego that need to be stimulated, for whatever reason, so you can get your shit together. LSD makes you fucking crazy, with moments of incoherant revelation.

Sorry for contributing to the thread necromancy- I figured I may as well stir a little friendly-shit up to stimulate some debate and make it worthwhile ;)

If I had known how important it would have been to me later, I would have documented the LSD I took with a pic and a descrip and a trip report.

I didn't ever score LSD for myself. My boyfriend at the time sold weed, which is how I met him, and he loved coke and LSD, both of which he introduced me to.

We only dropped acid for special occasions. Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd, Alice Cooper, Blue Oyster Cult, and others. I don't know how many. I know we ate orange barrels at one concert because our friend that made LSD for us and put it on a nice sugar cube was gone... The barrels were different that what I was accustom to experiencing on acid but every acid trip was different, too.

There were orange barrels in california in the 70s. All I remember is complaining about them after the concert. I was happy to go back to sugar cubes when our friend got home.

My dad was telling me about a very strong micro dot shaped like a pyramid. they were either dark brown or black. Does any one remember these? He told me they were super strong and one had him out of his mind.

Nothing in terms of specific information but I know on average ancient lsd hits were 150ug + minimum which barely compares to the 75ug dose commonly available today.

With the right research hits of lsd 25 with 150-300 ug potency is very possible. Although at those doses anyone but the most serious of psychonaughts are likely to have a negative or depressing reaction.

From my experience its best not to combine high doses of lsd and cocaine because while the initial surge of pleasure may be intense once the cocaine leaves your neurological system you will likely become depressed and agitated which will only be antagonized by the effects of the lsd.

Ok Boys n Gals, I was there.

Just found this Blog, joined and will share...

17 in Canberra, living at home, my close buddy turned up and told me 'John is coming over with some LSD'. Hmm, I said, and what is that? 'LSD man - LSD! OK.

John turned up and sure enough, he had some pills he called Orange Barrel. Little Orange Cylinders about 4 mill long and 3 mill diameter (taxing my memory on this detail), with purple specs in it.

I really got worried when John asked for a razor blade. Oh, you want to cut these... I was at once relieved and doubtful, what is this tiny thing going to do, let alone any fraction of it? 'Its a four way man'...

So he divided one of these 'four way' pills into 3 parts, and I dabbed one of these portions incredulously into my mouth.

Nothing happened for ever. Hey John, orange sugar pills?

Then, curiously, I began watching the sound come out of the speakers, very beautiful, very ' WHAT?'

Hey John, great sugar pills!

Orange Barrels where coming on. I mark this moment as a life changing event and remember it as clearly as if it was yesterday.

The trip from here is very entertaining and detailed, leading to many adventures and experiences.

If you are interested, am happy to continue.

Best wishes to all you trippers.

BlueTunnel

I took Orange Sunshine in San Fransisco California about 1972... I can now say it is not DOM.... I took Dom 2 years ago 15 Mg of it, Dom was not the same as Orange Sunshine Was....

OS very special because of the intent, karma, love of the creator... Nick Sands had while making this batch in the early part of the 70's....

I believe that since LSD is a Crystal and Crystals absorb the energy and intent of the person handling it does affect the person consuming it... Water acts this way too. There are plenty of studies that prove this.... Here is a video of Nick Sands Talking about it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXAKijc1Vmc ... as far as I'm concerned this subject if resolved...
Namaste

I believe Owsley Stanley stated in a book that his doses were 270 mics. I don't doubt the potency of these orange barrels.

Orange barrels or orange sunshine? I had some orange sunshine in the mid-eighties..supposedly kept in liquid-nitrogen since 68 or whatever..very special stuff..ald-54 or something..very visual, but mellower (in high dose) than good lsd..very underwater feeling..not better than real good lsd..just different.

As far as dmt vs (good)lsd...well, to each there own..I've had far wilder, intense experiences on dmt, but prefer the more serene, peacefull, totally beyound fear, and merged with the absolute/singularity expereinces I've had on high doses of real good lsd..ramped up gradually, some than some more than some more, untill I'd look into the mirror and have no irises at all..just compleatly dialated black hole eye-balls...dmt has never began to match these experiences for me..(dmt seems largley about overwhelming sensory overload, followed by amnesia ..with alot of panic-reaction thrown in for good measure)

But to each there own, maybe I've never properly expereinced dmt and you've never properly experinced lsd..Or maybe different chemicals are more appropriate to different people at different periods of time..whatever.

As far as orange barrels go..no doubt there was plenty of orange barrels in the seventies, from different labs, containing different stuff..I had some orange barrel in 71 (sold as mescaline) which was a medium-low dose of nothing special at all..OK, but nothing special...the sunshine was special! (no doubt)

Last edited:
Orange Barrels

Saw 'em, ate 'em, loved 'em. The Brotherhood packaged the best LSD in those pretty orange barrels. We did see Yellow Sunshine barrels, too, but I never found the provenance. The thing about Orange Sunshine is that it was so clean. There was no worry when you found it that you would have anything but a really fine ride. Whether you were hitch-hiking to a concert with four of your friends (odd how few people will pick up five stoned and crazy hippie freaks), or just hanging out in your backyard watching henways grow out of the grass, really great time ahead.

As for them being 4-way, nah. I took 2 hits of Sunshine once, one of the better trips ever. We always heard that Sunshine was in the 300 mic range, so 4-way cut would only be 75 mics. I mean, we had some real 4-ways back in the day, but I mean those things were 1 to 2,000 mics (and, yeah, I took those, too). My group was into heroic dosing and usage during normal life - like acid and work, acid and lawn care, acid and Risk, hiking, rock climbing, caving, Frisbee, driving to LA, seriously, whatever. And of course concerts; always at concerts. We were opposed to the whole Leary Book of the Dead, make sure your setting is good, have a guide, follow the rules. Rules?! We don't need no stinkin' rules! We were Crazies, and proud of it.

Last edited:
Does anyone know of any photos of orange barrels in the web? Curious to see what must be the most famed packaging of lsd ever.

I am 59 y.o , and can confirm Orange Barrels were in Australia - everywhere it seemed - around 1971 . The appearance was as described , and they were indeed " 4 - way " ....

I think it was " Sunshine " acid , possibly made by Sand and Scully , and distributed from the USA around the world by the " Brotherhood " [ of Eternal Love ] .

Things were different in those days - it seemed that there was less emphasis on greed and profiteering , and a genuine desire to spread the love .

Also . there was a lot of great cid in a variety of packaging - dots, cones , sellotape microdots , etc , etc , coming from England ; and lots of " Clearlight " said to be coming from USA .

Oh I forgot about the " Japanese " blotters of around 1980 , with characters printed on the white tabs - [ often called " Chinese Lights " here ] - which was sensational too . I suspect they were coming from the the " Aum Shinko " cult , which was led by some blind guy , to finance their terrorist activities back in Japan .... [ the bastards released Sarin gas in a subway system , tried to spread anthrax bubonic plague , and other nasty diseases , and I believe were after Aussie uranium . At one stage they had a huge sheep station in W.A , and were definitely up to no good . Very nasty folk indeed ... ]

Back in those days acid was usually dosed much higher than nowadays [ although thankfully , it seems high dose tabs are making a return lately ] , and freakouts and panic attacks could and did occur at times , esp for the newbs or the unprepared .
After the " Julie " tragedy , it virtually dried up for a long time , and the doses became pathetically weak , and apart from some blue gel pyramids around 1984 or so , I have only ever seen blotter .
Nevertheless , happily Australia is blessed with great acid again nowadays - hopefully for good !

Last edited:
I used to get them in between blotter, which was everywhere back in late 80's and 90's. I also used to get purple barrels as well. They were almost always good, if not weaker in Ug's compared to the paper I was getting, but I always took 3 or for, as I did with blotter. But yes...they used to be around...a lot.

^ Those barrels where not the orange sunshine; in the 80's and 90's was only microdots... The ones sold in the 1971 where 250ug each +some .. I Spoke to Owsley and ask him.. he was living in Australia at the time we spoke... Orange Sun shine was as he told me; was Blessed with loving intent Just like you bless crystals and the like... It was dosed at 250 ug....

I used a lot of acid and other hallucinogens in the early 70s and the 1980s. I used Orange Barrels once and they looked like little barrels 1/8" long orange orange, nothing like Window Pane, Orange Flats and they were wonderful. I thought it provided a very smooth trip, nice peak, tremendous trails. I'd do some today if I could find any. Orange Sunshine was good too.

So what where the barrels made from? We're they enonmous geltabs? And This may be off topic but I find it quite a coincidence that lsd returned only after 1p lsd was released. I do think that there is real lsd 25 floating around no doubt up north. But I'm pretty sure most of it is al lad, or 1p lsd or eth lad. Or a mix of the 2. 1p lsd is indistinguishable from lsd to the novice.

I had both orange and purple barrels. It was interesting because while they were really good, they seemed different than the LSD that we were getting at the time. I remember the visuals being notably different, as was the head-space. They seemed to be perhaps 100ug or less, and we'd often take 4 or 5. I don't know, man. For some reason, and others talk about this elsewhere, but the LSD we got back in the 80s and 90s really DID feel different from that which is around on the DNM today. It's all good, but something about what was circulating back then seemed somehow more magical. I know, I know...set and setting. But, it's interesting that I used to get this metallic taste in my mouth from ALL the LSD we took back then. I remember talking about that VERY strong taste, and we ALL tasted it. For whatever reason, I NEVER get that taste with the "newer" variations of L. It used to last the entire trip and beyond, but NONE of the L I get these days does that. I have no idea why, but it used to be part of the experience. Now...it doesn't happen, and I don't know why, again.

Trying 250ug ALD-52 soon.... Hopefully this is what Orange Sunshine may have been... Then it could had been, just a very young mind and how i interpreted reality back then...

I did talk with Owsly a few years before he died ... He told me (Via email) OS was just 250ug LSD, but it was blessed in a loving way...
There are to many stories and myths about OS so.. for me: ill close a long awaited chapter in this crazy search of mine...

Yes around 1973 I had a hit of orange barrel LSD, and three of us, my best friend and his brother took a third, as you were describing. it lasted about 12 hours and was very intense. I had a lot of fun that day.