• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Lysergamides The famous "Orange Barrels" of LSD in the 70's

At five quid a pop that would make it a pretty pricey night in ;)

And crack was just sooo much better back in the day :(

It's also not strictly true that acid was stronger 30 years ago - it's always varied but the average has always been 50-75ug a go even back in the 60s. There was a thread on it recently if anybody's excited enough.
Well yeah if they're 20 ug don't take any, but I've never had any that bad. 50-75 seems about right for what I get, not that it's around very often. I just meant you can get to whatever dose you want, there nothing special about it because it's in a barrel. Actually today that would just scream RC to me.

We did orange barrels every weekend back in my high school days.
Get o'case of cheap beer and start jammin'. It was fun.
I use to do half hits of it back then...And it was everywhere, impossible to stay away from the stuff.
I know many people who did 3 hits (barrels)...with no problems.

We all did notice a strange tightening behind the knees if you tried to sit still for long...we called it strychnine acid (I recall underground papers of the day started that rumor)...anyway...very high indeed.

The stuff seemed, well...reliable to say the least.
For most of us (usually around 5 guys...(crazy garage band)) there was always one common haluc. We would end up sitting on a set of wide stone stairs that was part of our hang-out...and the most amazing dark forest green "paisleyish" pattern would flow up and down and around the stairs,under and around our crazy asses,like live wallpaper,.back and forth...swirling, if you wanted it...constantly moving slowly...or disappearing. This could be counted on with every trip on this "sunshine"!

I never believed it was true "brotherhood" sunshine...but who knows.

Ahh...reminds me of a story about "cocoa mescaline"...the most "real" disney technocolor trip of me life.

22 hits. A big No-No. (accident) Threw a basketball into the air...50 thousand perfectly focused basketballs filled the blue sky, not really trailish...shooting off in all directions...mostly up...an unknown visual algorithm. Whew!

Peace

Yea sounds a lot like RC's, get a case of beer lol. That is your last tohught on LSD.

Yea the visuals on that DOx are predictable...I know what you mean by 'counting on" a visual motif or whatever.

On LSD the motifs are never exactly the same and are fluid and every-changing. On RC's the visuals are more 'stale" and lack the feeling of "endlessness" but they are still interesting.

I always get crazy cartoon-like visuals on DOx.

We did orange barrels every weekend back in my high school days.
Get o'case of cheap beer and start jammin'. It was fun.
I use to do half hits of it back then...And it was everywhere, impossible to stay away from the stuff.
I know many people who did 3 hits (barrels)...with no problems.

We all did notice a strange tightening behind the knees if you tried to sit still for long...we called it strychnine acid (I recall underground papers of the day started that rumor)...anyway...very high indeed.

The stuff seemed, well...reliable to say the least.
For most of us (usually around 5 guys...(crazy garage band)) there was always one common haluc. We would end up sitting on a set of wide stone stairs that was part of our hang-out...and the most amazing dark forest green "paisleyish" pattern would flow up and down and around the stairs,under and around our crazy asses,like live wallpaper,.back and forth...swirling, if you wanted it...constantly moving slowly...or disappearing. This could be counted on with every trip on this "sunshine"!

I never believed it was true "brotherhood" sunshine...but who knows.

Ahh...reminds me of a story about "cocoa mescaline"...the most "real" disney technocolor trip of me life.

22 hits. A big No-No. (accident) Threw a basketball into the air...50 thousand perfectly focused basketballs filled the blue sky, not really trailish...shooting off in all directions...mostly up...an unknown visual algorithm. Whew!

Peace

What was coca mescaline?

I bought a hit of it (specifically sold as Orange Sunshine) in 70 or 71..I can tell you tha OS was absolutely unequivicobaly the best acid I ever ran across. This was the consensus among the few hundred people who tried it and 100% agreed. LSD was plentiful and always available. Green goddess, gold windowpane, Fritz the Cat blotters, Sorcerers Apprentice(mickey mouse blotters), quicksilver(quite good), yellow barrels, and pink tablets sold as pink mesc. We knew it wasnt mesc..it had to be acid although they cost a dollar more..$3..and seemed slightly different. Those were popular and very good. I tripped about 100-125 times on 70 to 80 different batches. The Orange Sunshine barrels were head and shoulders above any of the others. So clean and no side effects I promise whoever reads this they were quite astounding and something you would not forget. There is a movie in the pipeline about OS. Peace..

I got to say it again; OS was the best iv ever had except for very few others that came close.

The only way i could see to compare Orange Sunshine, personally, would be to get my hands on the LSD that is NOW BEING MADE in the United States legally today. There is one person that is allowed to make 1000 doses a year for the research that is going on in the US currently.

He claims that with the new techniques they have he is producing the purest LSD ever made.

I say let us old timers have a go at it. Who else could do better.
truly id love to volunteer.
Namaste

For the record. Every time I see this tread about OS it invokes a very strong emotional response deep inside of me. I cant explain it but it makes me crave LSD. Sadly I have to tapper my use to 2 to 4 times a year with substandard product. If ya know what i mean.
Cheers

The substrate and such does not matter....

The i have ever eaten has just been nondescript standard sized white blotter.

People were losing their shit hardcore off one, i felt bad for the guy but i had eaten twice as much as him and my head was in no way coherent enough to do anything productive for the guy.

But i would say they were easily in the hundreds of mics per blotter.... It had a faint taste to it... Not like the burning chemicalness you expect from an RC but just a faint hint of something that screams "this is not just a little piece of paper"

600 mcg Black Barrel

I am 55 and I tried my LSD pills when I was 17... I took a Pink one, a yellow one but I will never forget the 600mcg Black Barrel (I say black barrel because it was its color and shape but I never knew the name of that potent stuff). I was 24 hours above the clouds with the first 6 hours very intensively and then slowly going down for the rest of time.

Actually, this stuff put me in front of myself (made me face my real myself and changed my life forever). At this moment, I understood I was a spiritual being and not a piece of flesh. I could see my own body from ouside, could "read" other's minds and see their aura. I could see their emotion with a color around them and feel their thoughts about me (anger. fear, etc...).

Many now won't believe me, but I could see the trick we call "time", how time is an illusion as well as this Universe and that past, present and future are all happening at the same time. I could see the begining of the Universe, it's persistence and it's end and how we, the spiritual entities, were involved in all that process. I discovered, let's say, the real world and how our physical universe was actually only the cast shadow of the real world. And when you can reach the real world even only for a while, you realize that you (and the others) actually rule the physical universe but are not aware of that. We actually create our own conditions, illnesses, sadness, sorrow and happiness.

This was my last trip because from this point, I understood that this was just done to show me the truth and now I had to make my way out of this Universe without chemicals. But I needed this chemical once to point to the truth. It's a bit the same as if you'd live in a foggy world and suddenly see the Sun for 6 hours before it hides again. But now you know it exists and what you're looking for !

Last edited:
I am 55 and I tried my LSD pills when I was 17... I took a Pink one, a yellow one but I will never forget the 600mcg Black Barrel (I say black barrel because it was its color and shape but I never knew the name of that potent stuff). I was 24 hours above the clouds with the first 6 hours very intensively and then slowly going down for the rest of time.

Actually, this stuff put me in front of myself (made me face my real myself and changed my life forever). At this moment, I understood I was a spiritual being and not a piece of flesh. I could see my own body from ouside, could "read" other's minds and see their aura. I could see their emotion with a color around them and feel their thoughts about me (anger. fear, etc...).

Many now won't believe me, but I could see the trick we call "time", how time is an illusion as well as this Universe and that past, present and future are all happening at the same time. I could see the begining of the Universe, it's persistence and it's end and how we, the spiritual entities, were involved in all that process. I discovered, let's say, the real world and how our physical universe was actually only the cast shadow of the real world. And when you can reach the real world even only for a while, you realize that you (and the others) actually rule the physical universe but are not aware of that. We actually create our own conditions, illnesses, sadness, sorrow and happiness.

This was my last trip because from this point, I understood that this was just done to show me the truth and now I had to make my way out of this Universe without chemicals. But I needed this chemical once to point to the truth. It's a bit the same as if you'd live in a foggy world and suddenly see the Sun for 6 hours before it hides again. But now you know it exists and what you're looking for !

Awesome post and perspective...I can definately relate and have had similar trip experiences.

u people are funny!... lol much love!!

why does my back hurt and stuff? is this pure lsd???

I looove orange sunshine btw!!!! the best!!!

sooo if they are all lsd... why so many differences in trip??? and why is my back all weird and tingly??? lol

RESPECT!

The infamous orange barrels, I would have to call FAMOUS. They were amoung the most powerful trips around in the early 70s in Australia. They came in all sorts of colours and were a bit flavoured, like soap. They were in fact about an eighth of a inch in diameter and looked like cut off bits of pencil lead, maybe they were imported that way as most of the acid manufactured in Australia at the end of the sixties was either liquid, just imagine !! or sprayed onto blotter coated with shellac and cut into size, as gravity had its usual effect when the blotter was hung up to dry, the bottom of the blotter had about 450mcg of pure acid, holy sheet !

The barrels were probably around the 200-300 range, which after all the almost psychedelics on the street before were 50 or so mcg, led to everyone having essentially their first full blown experience, there was no turning back.

To counter the myth that there was Strychnine in the acid, let me just say, you should see how much strychnine you could fit on a dot, and it wouldnt be enough to give give a rat a headache! The colours were the sole responsibility of Dr Hofmanns discovery ! Come to the anniversary bike-ride in Basel....cheers

Last edited:
Yeah seriously, DOx chemicals are INCREDIBLY bitter. I knew I had taken a fake tab the second I had gotten my first DOx tab.

And the trip is quite different. DOx produces A LOT more of a body load

I wouldn't call orange barrel "infamous". As far as I know, it had a good reputation. Acid is probably not for everyone, but I loved it, valued it, and learned to treat it with respect. I miss it too, truth be told. Back when acid was cheap and plentiful (and far more often pretty good, than otherwise), I ran across dozens of varieties. Orange barrel was my favorite, however. Big orange tabs, $2 a hit! Seems incredible now. You could get a hundred for $100, or even less. Really intense high. A good friend turned me on. We sat in the middle of an orange grove, and though I was scared for a little while at first, the fear didn't last long, as I dissolved in beautiful shimmering golden lights, beyond, beyond that which you can go beyond. After what must have been one or two hours, we were able to leave the grove, and walk the late night streets, like walking on the moon. For a while I imagined I was in Ancient Egypt. Orange barrel was everywhere, really, really plentiful. This was 1971, 1972, around in there. We all took acid for granted, little knowing that the time would come, that time is here, when acid is all but nonexistent.

Agreed about the title, I see no reason to leave it like that so changed it. :)

I used to get quantities of orange barrels as well as orange and sometimes purple microdots of VERY pure quality and probably about 100-150mcg from like 1980-1984 from a friend who had LOTS of connections, I have NO idea where they originated, but they were SWEEET! I think I lost like an entire summer doing those every day or every other day in increasing doses due to tolerance, just because they felt so damn GOOD!!! Zero bodyload, just major euphoria and a sparkling mind full of designs and patterns and bright shifting colors and afterimages and tracers, YOWZA! When they just would not work anymore and it seemed like I had to take so many at once it was just a waste of good drugs, I would lay off for a week, get alot of rest then... BACK ON THE MERRY GO ROUND, HAHA! Listening to The Doors and The Residents and Mike Oldfield etc etc. Ah yes, those were the days, my friend, those where THE days!

How do you know it was "the truth"? Tripping on acid once doesn't really qualify anyone to have the final say on what the truth is does it?

Acid is a very enjoyable experience and can have a lot of meanings but there is no single truth in this life.

People know LSD is safe, about love and powerful. DOM is a dirtier, "pseudo psychedelic" amphetamine. High doses of it will have you flipping like you've been up for days, seeing shit in the bushes thinking it's people. Seeing tree stumps and thinking they are shadow people.[/quote[

What are you talking about? Yes, LSD is safe. DOM can be dangerous and push you over the edge. I've witnessed someone who went over the edge and I had a phone in my hand ready to call 911 if he became anymore violent or confused.

But I have no idea what you're talking about it being dirty. When I experienced it and it was the most fascinating greatest thing I had ever tried. And it was EXTREMELY clean. I was literally watching a doppler radar on the weather channel melt onto the floor, where I was watching it in the reflective pool. And that was just the beginning of it. It was 16 hours of absolute insanity. But it was totally worth it. I went places in my head and basically my mind created the world around me as opposed to observing or just having my perceptions changed. Not mystical, very ego-centric. The only downside is that after 16 hours, you basically sleep the entire next day when it wears off and then you wake up at night and it screws up your cycle for a few a days.

I had a chance to obtain it again a few years ago, but I would have had to purchase at least a gram.... and I was NOT going to distribute that to anyone nor did I want more than 20mgs so I could experience it with a partner.

man..back in about 05..my bro had a baggie of these. and anything else%)

they were sold as mescaline though...but didnt believe it..great fx though. very shroomy

Orange Sunshine we had in MI. was about twice as big as purple microdot, excellent LSD... If you had a connect -
you could buy 250 hits for $250. Just like anything else If it became a vice, you could take 1 every 8 hours & trip from Friday (in high school) & start coming down sometime Monday (in school), around 72 hours - missed Tuesday more than a few times.
Getting ahold of something that good these days is about as likely as having a steady
Desoxyn connect. Of the many different people that we treated their first trip to, I never encountered a "bad trip" with anyone.

Last edited:
hey a late 50-ish year old reminiscing for you .. we had those in Vancouver area B.C. very early 70s , my first trip way on a 1/2 tab .. I remember them as the other person described in size , 1/8 inch across not 1/4 inch tall though (typo on his part ?) (maybe 1/16 tall ? ) .. one full tab was a very very powerful ( i can't really speak, or really listen at all kind of dose), almost walked in front of a moving car, not caring or believing that it was real while on way up .. about the same size as what was being called purple microdot a the time .. definitely the best Alice brand around 1971 in that area (white blotter was a semi-close second )