• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Lysergamides The famous "Orange Barrels" of LSD in the 70's

Orange all the way through, like a hard pressed MDMA pill. I've read on BL of microdots with a crystal in them, but never seen one. I think this might be a myth (seems like a really awkward way to package LSD) but you never know.

A friend had a microdot a couple of years ago he said was the size of a poppy seed. You wouldn't want to drop that on the carpet!

It's not a myth. They were about twice the size of a poppy seed (think a double stacked barrel shaped poppy seed), with a black or dark brown coating, and if you chewed on it or split it apart there was a clear crystal inside that was probably 50% of the total mass of the entire package.

First time I had these was maybe 2003-2004... one felt like 150ug+

Second time I had these was maybe 2005 and two felt like 100ug. I assume a bunch were made at once and probably degraded by the time I saw them a second time.

Yes they were weird. But indistinguishably LSD-25.

Phlash

When I was a teenager I followed Timothy Leary and all the going's on of the
electric Cool aide Acid Test bunch.

I have seen a number of different kinds of what is called "Orange Sunshine", some kinda crumbly and others hard and shinny barrel shaped doses. These seemed to range in potency from 50 mics - 250 mics of Lysergic.

It had been rumored that Owsley Stanley manufactured the Orange Wedge acid and called it Orange Owsley Acid. It is also my understanding that "Owsley Acid" was stamped with his trad mark owl image.

I purchased for $2 each four hits of what was called orange wedge acid in 1973; it had the consistency of wax. The barrels were perfectly formed and shinny and were a deep orange color. The guy I purchased it from was completely stoned and out of touch with reality. He warned not to take the whole thing, but to cut it at least into 1/4ths. We were pretty used to window pane, and Mr. Natural in large doses, and were not intimidated by the warning. The guy also gave me an address in NY where he said I could buy for $50 a hundred. I immediately threw fate to the wind and sent of for my supply of the magic pills. In about two weeks an envelope came with the 100 pills, no note or explanation.

The Trip: When we took the Orange Wedge acid we did not feel ant effects for about four hours. We actually thought we had been ripped off, and we were also aware that acid sometimes takes a while to kick-in.

We were sitting around listening to Deep Purple (Machine Head) when we got off. It was the most intense visual and physical feeling with acid I have ever had. The people in the room looked like they had on florescent brightly colored costumes, like sombrero's, big cartoon mustaches - just off the hook vivid hallucinations. Patterns were swirling across the wood floors and they looked an inch thick. I in my infinite wisdom asked if anyone thought we could have been poisoned! This set off a panic that lasted for quite some time. The feeling was so intense that I wanted to get away from it but closing my eyes only made it worse. So we were left with no choice but to deal with the trip and each other. The most intense part of it lasted for 4-6 hours but I had a heavy trip for at least 36 hours, when I finally went to bed from exhaustion, I was tripping about as much as when I took a hit of good window pane.

Later most of us took a half dose and it was plenty, but definitely stronger than the usual orange sunshine that went around. I ordered another 100 from NY for $50 but I never heard from the mystery supplier again.

^I think orange wedges were DOM, which explains the body feeling and long come up time. I know that Owsley was responsible for a lot of the DOM being sold as acid at the time. Apparently the initial batch of DOM that went around was pills with 20 mg in them, which is totally insane. Then I heard it was reduced to 10 mg per pill, which is still too much for a single hit of DOM I think, especially when it's sold as acid and you have people who are used to acid, so they take the DOM and when it hasn't started for 1.5 or two hours they go ahead and dose a few more. Then they end up in the hospital having a terrible trip. DOM is a good drug, but damn, 20 mg of it sounds like way too much. I'm not sure how much the orange wedges had in them, I know the 20 mg ones were the ones going around at the San Francisco Be-In though, and they caused quite a few freak outs. They were sold as acid too, which is fucked up.

Ive never heard that one. Ive heard that it might have been ALD-52 but Nick Sand, one of the chemists charged with producing Orange Sunshine said that they were 300 ug hit of LSD-25. He says the amazing thing about Orange Sunshine is that every hit was exactly 300 ug, not 299, not 301, but 300.

http://www.matrixmasters.net/archive/NickSand/054-NickSand-PalenqueNorte2006.mp3

He talks about this in this speech he gave at Burning Man 2006.

He was lying or exaggerating his accuracy- http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/lsd/lsd_history1.shtml
There's a few sunshine tabs tested there, one of them is 256 and one is 255 mics. There's another that's red but the list dubs it "sunshine" and it's 450 mics, and another orange tab there is 475. If you've ever read "Be Here Now" by Baba Ram Dass, he talks about how he had some pills of sunshine acid made specially for him, and they were supposed to be 300 ug each. I'd say that Sand probably aimed for 300, but it's very, very difficult to be that accurate.

No doubt though, sunshine was very, very, very good acid.

The Trip: When we took the Orange Wedge acid we did not feel ant effects for about four hours. We actually thought we had been ripped off, and we were also aware that acid sometimes takes a while to kick-in.

We were sitting around listening to Deep Purple (Machine Head) when we got off. It was the most intense visual and physical feeling with acid I have ever had. The people in the room looked like they had on florescent brightly colored costumes, like sombrero's, big cartoon mustaches - just off the hook vivid hallucinations. Patterns were swirling across the wood floors and they looked an inch thick. I in my infinite wisdom asked if anyone thought we could have been poisoned! This set off a panic that lasted for quite some time. The feeling was so intense that I wanted to get away from it but closing my eyes only made it worse. So we were left with no choice but to deal with the trip and each other. The most intense part of it lasted for 4-6 hours but I had a heavy trip for at least 36 hours, when I finally went to bed from exhaustion, I was tripping about as much as when I took a hit of good window pane.
That would be DOM, not LSD.

That had to be Dom^ the come up description sounds sounds very familiar to me.

The sunshine i took in the early 70's hit me with in 20 min. Mine was a small barrels kind of hard, it was cheap i paid 2 bucks a hit for it or 50 for 100/

A couple of years ago i got to talk with Owsley via email and asked him about it; he told me it was pure LSD 250ug.

Id like to get my hands on the LSD that is legally made today in the USA. The video i saw last week said the chemist is only allowed to make 1000 does a year, to distribute to the research groups that are allowed to study it. He says with todays technology that his LSD is the purest ever made.

Cheers

Last edited:
i had one 'yellow microdot' back in the 90's.. i think that is what this thread was about.. LSD for sure - the dealer told me it was mescalin too.. lol.. i took it and didn't tell my friend until we had hiked all around the woods together.. it wasn't very strong and didn't last any extra.. so i conclude lsd.. it looked exactly like a purple micro only yellow.. not shiny, but powdery looking like the purple micros when they start to break apart.. i didn't hear any other name but 'yellow microdot' - "purple microdots" were VERY popular right then, so it must have been easy to label them that..

Although I have nothing to contribute to this thread I'd like to say I found it very interesting and would like to hear more old-school trip stories about these 'Orange Barrels' whether they are LSD or not.

A friend had a microdot a couple of years ago he said was the size of a poppy seed. You wouldn't want to drop that on the carpet!

one time my friend was at our acid connection's house and while he was there the dealer spilled a vial of purple microdots in the deep carpet..! hundreds of tiny barrels sinking... sinking into the depths.... lol..

Last edited:
The people in the room looked like they had on florescent brightly colored costumes, like sombrero's, big cartoon mustaches - just off the hook vivid hallucinations. Patterns were swirling across the wood floors and they looked an inch thick

This sounds EXACTLY like DOX(DOM). Cartoon Acid is what people call it who are confused as to what the fuck they took.

I know what you mean by the patterns on the floor that are an inch thick.

IMO DOM isn't as subjective as LSD, I get that SAME visual on some other DOX too. It's so weird, not nearly as cool or beautiful as LSD but at the same time it's like what the fuck?

^ DOM is the only DOxx I have tried I would use again

Yea but that doesn't mean other LSD trippers haven't had a bad trip on it. keep in mind in the 60's many people took it thinking it was LSD and also the DOM going around in the 60's(from Owsley) was more poper than any DOX hit you've taken in your life.

Just imagine experienced tripers taking 2 of those assuming it's LSD cause they have taken 10 hits of strong ,microbots before or whatever.

A high dose of DOM is no laugh matter, no matter who you are you probably won't have a good time if it's a realllly high dose. Talking Owsley dose, there's a reason to stopped making it right after people tested it...

People know LSD is safe, about love and powerful. DOM is a dirtier, "pseudo psychedelic" amphetamine. High doses of it will have you flipping like you've been up for days, seeing shit in the bushes thinking it's people. Seeing tree stumps and thinking they are shadow people.

SEriosuly, lol I've tripped on LSD in the dark pitch black before and had a blast never had a paranoid thought, I had a trippy experience but I loved the natural feeling comfortable chaos that LSD provides. I will be staying away from DOX..

Last edited:
Like we always say, everyone is affected differently. To me, the DOXs feel wonderful, light, joyful, and life-affirming. I certainly don't find them pseudo-psychedelic, and neither does Shulgin. And many others as well.

I've heard of Orange Barrel's being the perfect acid. I guess it had less of the weirdness and body load. Due to this, I believe it is ALD-52 and not LSD-25 since this also corresponds with the short time period that ALD received proper attention along with the described effects.

Just speculation though. Regardless, psychedelic legend is it least worth a good story8)

Speaking of, you know, I wonder if the speculation about ALD-52 basically being a prodrug for LSD-25 doesn't actually hold up... look at 4-AcO-DMT compared to 4-HO-DMT. In theory, 4-AcO-DMT would just be deacetylated into psilocin when it enters the body, but the difference in subjective effects suggests that it at least isn't entirely converted into psilocin and psiloacetin is active on its own. Maybe it could be the same deal with ALD-52 (N-acetyl-LSD)?

Last edited:
Speaking of, you know, I wonder if the speculation about ALD-52 basically being a prodrug for LSD-25 doesn't actually hold up... look at 4-AcO-DMT compared to 4-HO-DMT. In theory, 4-AcO-DMT would just be deacetylated into psilocin when it enters the body, but the difference in subjective effects suggests that it at least isn't entirely converted into psilocin and psiloacetin is active on its own. Maybe it could be the same deal with ALD-52 (N-acetyl-LSD)?

So the addition of the acetyl group may make ALD-52 active by itself? Do you know if a N(6)-ethyl derivative would be even more active?

We did orange barrels every weekend back in my high school days.
Get o'case of cheap beer and start jammin'. It was fun.
I use to do half hits of it back then...And it was everywhere, impossible to stay away from the stuff.
I know many people who did 3 hits (barrels)...with no problems.

We all did notice a strange tightening behind the knees if you tried to sit still for long...we called it strychnine acid (I recall underground papers of the day started that rumor)...anyway...very high indeed.

The stuff seemed, well...reliable to say the least.
For most of us (usually around 5 guys...(crazy garage band)) there was always one common haluc. We would end up sitting on a set of wide stone stairs that was part of our hang-out...and the most amazing dark forest green "paisleyish" pattern would flow up and down and around the stairs,under and around our crazy asses,like live wallpaper,.back and forth...swirling, if you wanted it...constantly moving slowly...or disappearing. This could be counted on with every trip on this "sunshine"!

I never believed it was true "brotherhood" sunshine...but who knows.

Ahh...reminds me of a story about "cocoa mescaline"...the most "real" disney technocolor trip of me life.

22 hits. A big No-No. (accident) Threw a basketball into the air...50 thousand perfectly focused basketballs filled the blue sky, not really trailish...shooting off in all directions...mostly up...an unknown visual algorithm. Whew!

Peace

Last edited:
Orange Sunshine

I am 55, I was a long haired hippie from 1969 to 1974 and did massive amounts of drugs, everyday of my high school I was stoned, I did manage to get into the Univ of Mich still. I did all kinds of LSD, mescaline and peyote (my favorite), the strongest acid I ever did was orange sunshine, it was 4 way acid, there were four hits in it. About five of us took half a hit around 8 pm in my senior year of high school on a Thrus night, seniors had the next day off. About 9 pm I decided I wasn't feeling it enough and ate the other half, big mistake. We all went to my friend's familly airplane hanger at the Pontiac, Michigan airpost, they owned a small freight airline. I started hallucinating really bad, they said I was turning green, I had them take me home, they told me I should stay with them, but I went into my house and went upstairs to my bedroom. I started getting way too high so I left the house around 11 pm, my Mom heard me leave, but at that time I basically came and went as I pleased. it was winter, snow on the ground, I lived in a subdivision that bordered woods, so I went into the woods, I thought I heard sirens, thought the police were after me so I ran. When I got further into the woods I remember seeing these wooden blocks floating in the air with pictures on them, it turns out these were the blocks I played with in my crib, the lsd brought out that memory which I still have to this day. I also was seeing all sorts of things floating in the air, I saw no reality, just 100% hallucinations, I thought I was going to lose my mind so I kept saying my name to myself, saying I am "my name" over and over, then I remember looking straight up into the air and seeing this beam of light come out of the sky and hit me in the eyes, and I got the message that this was God, which is strange because I didn't and still don't believe in the traditional god, I have a high IQ, when I was four I thought the bible was absurd, that adults were believing this book wrtten 2000 yrs ago by people who thought the earth was flat. Anyway that was my last memory, the next thing I knew I came back to consciousness, it was 7 am, and I had moved about 100 ft from where I saw that light, I don't know how, but I was in the middle of a swamp, it wasn't cold enough for it to have frozen over yet, it was the middle of December in Michigan, the suburbs of Detroit, and I was in a crouched position. I then remembered that when I came into the woods and I was running because I thought I heard sirens, I fell into the snow and lost my winter jacket and my eye glasses. I pulled my feet out of the muck, losing one shoe, winter shoe/boot, in the muck, it was sucked into the muck, there was no way I was in any condition to bend down and try to get it out, I was wet, cold and freezing. So I went to try and find my jacket and glasses, no luck, so I walked to the major road, two lane speed limit 45mph, which my high school was on, and so was where I worked after school, an automatic car wash, all I did was take the dollar and push a button, so I hitchhiked up there and got there before the morning shift, I got a pair of rubber boots and some old jacket in the back room and waited for my shift to start at 3:30 pm, the guys from the morning shift were friends, two yrs older and out of school. It took a couple of days for me to stop seeing trails and get my head back to normal. That was the only time I had a bad experience, I had a lot of fun doing peyote a few times, we would get a button for a dollar, all pills were a dollar, unless you bought quanity. I would do peyote way before acid, and you can go to the Church of Peyote in Arizona and do it legally. Look them up on the internet.

The orange sunshine back then was 300 micrograms, the acid now is 20 to 80 micrograms from what I have read

The orange sunshine back then was 300 micrograms, the acid now is 20 to 80 micrograms from what I have read
You can still get papers that are around ~250 ug or so, but the average quality has indeed gone way down since those days.

Why does it matter? If they're 20 mgs take 15 of them.LOL, I'm trying to imagine some crackheads sitting around talking about a rock they got back in '83.

If they're 20 mgs take 15 of them.LOL

At five quid a pop that would make it a pretty pricey night in ;)

And crack was just sooo much better back in the day :(

It's also not strictly true that acid was stronger 30 years ago - it's always varied but the average has always been 50-75ug a go even back in the 60s. There was a thread on it recently if anybody's excited enough.