• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos All benzodiazepines under tongue?

mindtools

Bluelighter
I'd like to know, if I should or should not put all benzodiazepines under tongue.
As I know, if i consume them that way, they pass round the <I can't find this word, in Polish thats something like "first pass" [through liver]>. But maybe metabolites of some are more interesting than them themselves?
Any clues welcome :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer to take any benzo sublingually. Look out though, Xanax bars have a very bitter taste, but it will grow on you. Klonapin tastesminty and is the best benzo for sublingual use that I have tried.

NO benzodiazepines under the tongue..

unless it's flunitrazepam, flurazepam, or midazolam.. which in my parts comes only in vials.. so you could like drink it through a straw or something (and drop dead?) or swish it around in your mouth like the high class benzoheads do..

most benzos are not water soluble and are not absorbed directly through membranes in your mouth. even the ones that are 'instant dissolving' are just made for convenience and for the sort of situation that arises at the mental hospital where you have to shove a pill in someone's mouth and keep his mouth shut until it dissolves..

otherwise, swallow them happilly.

IME there's a small amount of sublingual absorption with many benzos, so if you want a minor effect right away (with the main effects in ~30 min) it may be worth it. Just don't expect a lot... the taste of most benzos is so mild tho that it may just be more convenient to let 'em dissolve in your mouth.

Valium said:
NO benzodiazepines under the tongue..

unless it's flunitrazepam, flurazepam, or midazolam.. which in my parts comes only in vials.. so you could like drink it through a straw or something (and drop dead?) or swish it around in your mouth like the high class benzoheads do..

most benzos are not water soluble and are not absorbed directly through membranes in your mouth. even the ones that are 'instant dissolving' are just made for convenience and for the sort of situation that arises at the mental hospital where you have to shove a pill in someone's mouth and keep his mouth shut until it dissolves..

otherwise, swallow them happilly.

Sorry if this sounds blunt, but this is simply wrong.

A lot of benzo preparations that I am prescribed (namely, Bromazepam, Diazepam, Lorazepam, Nitrazepam, Clonazepam) are all formulated into tiny pills that are designed to be taken sublingually and they work perfectly.

It has nothing to do with solubility.

As for bypassing first-pass metabolism, this does mean loss of metabolites - it simply means that you'll get more out of the drug before it is metabolized into something inactive.

I would swallow anything you get in a pill, but more pure substances like pure valium i would either capsule it up or put it under your tongue.

<I can't find this word, in Polish thats something like "first pass" [through liver]>.

If you were wondering, the term is first pass metabolism.

Anyway, does this even matter? the bio-availablity of benzos is so high that different forms of administration will do very little do effect the potency. the only benzo i deliberately take sublingually is klonopin, and that's more because it tastes good than because it makes a noticable difference. Although, i will say, the comeup is slightly faster when taken sublingually...

Whenever i do benzos i always dissolve them under my tongue. Most of them taste pretty good, imo.

ativan and klonopin seem to work under the tongue, the main problem with it is for me they take so long to dissolve that i think id get more of an affect just swallowing it.

burn out said:
ativan and klonopin seem to work under the tongue, the main problem with it is for me they take so long to dissolve that i think id get more of an affect just swallowing it.

Just chew them up a little bit then put it under your tongue. I am the same way, I take ativan and klonopin sublingually. Alprazolam is too bitter IMO and kicks in so fast that I just swallow.

mindtools said:
I'd like to know, if I should or should not put all benzodiazepines under tongue.
As I know, if i consume them that way, they pass round the <I can't find this word, in Polish thats something like "first pass" [through liver]>. But maybe metabolites of some are more interesting than them themselves?
Any clues welcome :)

I used to swear by this but chew them up if there a tasty variety or if your thiking about using them I.V. don't even bother with the amps as they burn to shit and are honestly not that good, AND i LOVE my benzo's GET 'A' CHWIN'=D
p.s. - you know Valium is more dangerous than most drugs to come off as you will inevitablly get paranoid followed by grand mal seizures of which i've had plenty and its really not good ESPECIALLY if you are around any loved ones as all you remember it by is a chewed toungue, they see the whole extremley distressing seizure!

Last edited:
benzos are designed for sublingual administration. its up to you if you want to take them that way, eat 'em, or snort 'em. and dont start with "you cant snort benzos y0!" because you can; water soluability has nothing to do with snortability.

I took a xanax under the tongue the other day. Man it tastes like shit, but the effects did pop up fairly quickly.
I'll be getting a nice supply of kpin soon, I'll see how that goes.

temazepam under the tongue is yummy, nice and sugary. didnt really enjoy valium though.

works good either way though

You can take all benzos sublingually (under tongue), unless you can't stand the taste (I can't put Alprazolam under my tongue; while Clonazepam or Lorazepam taste good....)
Sublingually, they are stronger, hit quicker, etc...

There are a few ones that you cannot put under your tongue: the inactives ones. These benzos are inactive, and they need to be taken orally to get converted to Nordazepam.
There are only 3 of them I can think of:
-Chlordiazepoxide
-Clorazepate Dipotassium (Tranxene)
-Ethyl Loflazepate

Jason! great to see you again, you've always been a great source of info!

Sure, you can subligual benzos. Ativan 2mg sub is good, triazolapam is very soluble. a big bar of xanax will be the most bitter, 20 minutes of your life. I've subbed diazapam, but don't really remember since it was mg #50.

New here today, have some questions:

I take Xanax once in a while, for sleep ... I don't have panic attacks, so I don't use it for that. Question:

I'm having a tooth out tomorrow, I can't afford Nitrous Oxide or Sedation, no insurance ... and I'm allergic to Novacaine. So she's using another type of numbing injection, that 's not very strong. To help me relax, she prescribed ONE Flexeril an hour before appointment and wants me to take a Xanax when I get there, under my tongue.

I've never taken it under tongue ... and since I'm very sensitive to most meds, I'm a bit nervous about how it will affect me with taking the Flexeril. I'm also on Benicar, Toprol, and a water pill every day.

I've been taking 800 Ibuprofen for the pain in tooth, every 7 hours.

Could those of you who have taken the Xanax under tongue, explain how I will feel after dissolving it? What type of effect will I get ... and how fast does it work? As you can tell, I'm nervous about this, and all these meds together, really makes me worry.

Thanks ahead of time! :\