• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

tolerance: opiods vs opium

forestxfaerie

Bluelighter
im trying to get off poppy tea. i used to take a lot of vicodin then i started poppy tea and haven't done vicodin in about 2 months. ive gone 3 days now without any opiods.. last night though it was sooo hard to sleep. i was tossing & turning.. i felt uncomfortable all over and when i tried to lay still i felt an uncontrollable urge to move. then i got up to use the restroom after only 3 hours of laying there.. i was dripping with sweat and the bed was soaking wet. i want to take a vicodin just to ease the withdraw.. u know.. taper off. so im curious.. since my tolerance is high with poppy tea (opiates) would my tolerance also be high with the vicodin (opiods)? or are they two seperate things? since the vicodin is a synthetic version..

yes, it's sorta like ritalin and cocaine, this will mean cross tolerance, no matter where it came from (lab/plant)

cross-tolerance is very strong between opioids, even semisynthetic versus natural.

since you're already on day 3 of CT, just quit. you're halfway there.

I would also like to mention that there is such a thing as incomplete cross tolerance, which just means that when you switch from one drug in the same class to another it might take you a few days or weeks to adjust to the new opiate/opioid that you aren't used to. The incomplete cross tolerance factor is often minimal (around 25% or less), but should be accounted for in order to ensure safety. Otherwise the drugs are very cross tolerant as they both bind to your mu opioid receptors.

oh, just to let you know: my tolerance is pretty strong with poppy tea (i can have a five-scoop cup two or three times in a day with only a low-level high). i have told the story before about going through an entire 30x bottle of 5/500 vicodin in 18 hours. felt nothing.

amar_g said:
entire 30x bottle of 5/500 vicodin in 18 hours. felt nothing.

and you trying to shut down your liver? 15 grams of acetaminophen over 18 hours could be fatal, man.

good luck in the detoxing.

where are you now in terms of drug use/ dosing??

i also use poppy tea and it is quite addictive. but i have found out that the worst physical part of the withdrawl like the nausea/cold flashes is gone after the first few days.

the psychological addiction is another story.

why do you use opiates? i strongly believ the reason why a person uses a certain drug will determine use patterns and therfore addiction. so this information will be valuble in attempting to stop your drug use so you can deal with what motivates you in the first place.

mind-melt and others: when i told the story of the 30x 5/500 vicodin over 18 hours before, i went into detail about how i protected my liver prophylactically; there is a reasonably safe approach to surviving with that much APAP. i also stressed that this should not be repeated by anyone. harm reduction is the goal, and the message i'm getting across right now is that poppy tea can be quite potent and is not something to just be taken lightly.

yellodolphin said:
good luck in the detoxing.

where are you now in terms of drug use/ dosing??

i also use poppy tea and it is quite addictive. but i have found out that the worst physical part of the withdrawl like the nausea/cold flashes is gone after the first few days.

the psychological addiction is another story.

why do you use opiates? i strongly believ the reason why a person uses a certain drug will determine use patterns and therfore addiction. so this information will be valuble in attempting to stop your drug use so you can deal with what motivates you in the first place.

i took like four 7.5/325 vicodins each day the past 2 days.. i am hoping that most of the morphine/codeine from the poppy tea is out of my system by now and im going to start fresh tomorrow but i have immodium AD, benzos, and sleeping pills to get me thru it if it gets bad... i guess i use it because it helps motivate me and makes me not care about going to work/classes. i have some social anxiety and it totally alleviates that... but its not worth it. i need to learn to use it recreationally only because I don't want to be a junkie. i was also using it a lot after alcohol binges to totally diminish the hangovers.

by the way.. there IS a cross tolerance because I still had to take four vics to feel anything even tho i hadn't taken any vics in awhile... so i answered my own question by experimenting. the first day i took 2 to see if i would feel anything.. nothing... ugh.. i just want my tolerance to be down to zero again!

forestxfaerie said:
i took like four 7.5/325 vicodins each day the past 2 days.. i am hoping that most of the morphine/codeine from the poppy tea is out of my system by now and im going to start fresh tomorrow but i have immodium AD, benzos, and sleeping pills to get me thru it if it gets bad... i guess i use it because it helps motivate me and makes me not care about going to work/classes. i have some social anxiety and it totally alleviates that... but its not worth it. i need to learn to use it recreationally only because I don't want to be a junkie. i was also using it a lot after alcohol binges to totally diminish the hangovers.

hey faerie,

glad your still going through with the detox. it gets easier as each day goes by. You are really lucky to have benzos/sleeping pills. anxiety and sleeplessnes is so frustrating and alone can cause a relapse.

thats interesting because i have some anxiety issues and poppy tea is the most effective thing ive come across for it. i would suggest then if you want to cut the opiates off you have to deal with your anxiety somehow. maybe benzos or something that you can relive anxiety with to replace the opiates.

the motivation/not caring part im not sure what that stems from. maybe you have alot of stress from the work/school. What are you studying? Im in university and ive found the best thing to do is to take all classes i really enjoy so it makes learning pleasent. anyways dont feel pressured by what is going on. i hope u can take the time you need to heal yourself because your wellbeing is the most important thing. remember if you deal with the issues that lead you to use opiates it will increase your chances to stay clean.

do you use poppy pod tea or seed tea?? i think poppy tea can be used recreationally. i never use poppy tea every day and i think that is the key to not being addicted. have it every second day and learn to taper your doses. it took me a long time to learn how to taper, you have to learn development in self control which comes with experience.