NEMD Grateful Dead Appreciation Thread

For those that didn't get tickets to Chicago, I would check back on TM everyday. Shapiro said they sold 100,000 tix. By my math that says they've only sold around half the tickets. I fully expect there to be a couple re-releases.

I dont think you are taking mail order into account.

Soldier field capacity is around 60,000.
As you were saying 100,000 TM tix were sold.
Mail order said they got 60,000 ticket requests, to which only 10% was filled.
By estimation: 6,000 orders, which lets just assume 4 tickets per order times by 3 nights would be approx 72,000.
Add that to the 100k would be 172,000.
Soldier field 60k x 3 nights 180k.
I think tix are pretty much maxed out.

Last edited:
Just to confirm my thinking, i found a billboard news article that did quote shapiro saying 100k ticketmaster tix were sold, but also saying earlier in the article that the total tix count is 210k.

how could that be if the total stadium capacity is 61,500 x 3 = 184500

3_0_0.jpg

Depending on the concert capacity.. it would only be lower i think as capacity is set by the fire authorities and is not flexible so would not increase.

But if they sold 10 of the over 300000 mail order requests 40 k at the most and 100,000 more that could leave like 50,000 tickets in limbo?

and if its 210 like he claims like ~80k.

Last edited:
Yea, I didn't take into consideration mail order. But, soldier field holds 70k and I think neversick's numbers are prolly more accurate. I also know that anyone (myself included) that purchased a 3 day pass were only given the option to to get seats behind the stage or side stage (which is total bullshit). I know some folks that scored single tickets got unobstructed views, but I don't know anyone that got the 3 day pass that did. Plus, Shapiro has pulled shit like this in the past. I think there are definitely tickets that will be released at some point.

how could that be if the total stadium capacity is 61,500 x 3 = 184500

Depending on the concert capacity.. it would only be lower i think as capacity is set by the fire authorities and is not flexible so would not increase.

But if they sold 10 of the over 300000 mail order requests 40 k at the most and 100,000 more that could leave like 50,000 tickets in limbo?

and if its 210 like he claims like ~80k.

There were 60,000 mail order requests sent in. to which 10% got filled. So that means 6,000 orders were filled. There is no saying how many tickets per order were filled. For you to say that 40k was the max they could have done is saying that on average, only 2 tickets per day were filled. that's low. that would average 13k a day.
They wanted to fill as many orders as they could. they were limiting tickets to 8 per day at first.
We can agree to disagree.

As far as your statement 61,500x3 = 184,000, so how could it be 210,000.... I don't know... I was quoting the billboard news article. I didn't write it. But...

If I recall correctly, looking at the set up before mail order started, they didn't have seats behind the stage. So if capacity is normally 61,500 and they decided to move the stage up to open the seats in the back, that would add like 10,000 more seats bringing the capacity up to 70,000 like cs said... and 70000x3 is 210,000.

Also, what numbers aren't being taken into consideration *again*, are the pre-sale travel package deals, and the bears season-ticket holders.

Last edited:
Im totally confused. I always hated trying to get tickets.. I loved it when they came but I fuking hate the rat race.. stress.

At dead50.net, the band said it received more than 60,000 individual pieces of mail and said “we are going to try to fill as many of these orders as possible.” Sources within the Dead camp said the total ticket requests exceeded 300,000 for the weekend. Soldier Field’s capacity is about 60,000, meaning that fewer than 200,000 tickets (ranging in price from $59.50 to $199.50) are available for the three shows.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/enter...ier-field-ticket-requests-20150128-story.html

So if they filled 10% of those it would be 30+grand. But I have to admit im not sure which ways up at this point.

Im totally confused. I always hated trying to get tickets.. I loved it when they came but I fuking hate the rat race.. stress.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/enter...ier-field-ticket-requests-20150128-story.html

So if they filled 10% of those it would be 30+grand. But I have to admit im not sure which ways up at this point.

There is a difference between 10% of 60,000 mail requests, and 10% of 300,000 tickets.
1 in 10 people got tickets, meaning 6000 people got tickets. It did not say how many tickets each person got.
Which is why there is no clarity to say how many tickets were actually fulfilled through mail-order.

http://www.gdtstoo.com/GDTSTOOupdate.html
http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6487493/grateful-dead-final-shows-fare-the-well-with-trey-anastasio-officially-sold-out

Last edited:
There is a difference between 10% of 60,000 mail requests, and 10% of 300,000 tickets.
1 in 10 people got tickets, meaning 6000 got tickets. It did not say how many tickets each person got.

The number of individual ticket orders pulled from a random 10% of the envelopes would be really close to equaling 10% of the total tickets requested is what I would guess.

Hey sorry I forgot about this thread. I actually read this whole interview y'know. He is one humble son of bitch. All I can say is I do not think his solos all sound the same to me they are all very different and well thought out but music is subjective. I agree with you on Jimmy being uninspired b/c he doesnt have to be with wsp.

Its kinda like the same brand of different flavors of a vodka from the couple shows I checked out (not live) from last summer.

I think the dead spoiled me in this way.. This is the reason phish never hooked me like the boys as to me even though thier songs varied a great deal I seemed to feel the songs sounded to similar to follow them for a bunch of shows.

Now that i think about it that may be why I got into the WSP after jerry passed.

Last edited:
Math is hard. Section 341 for lyphe yall. Plane tickets procured today. They better help>slip>franklins my fucking face

Lucky bastard.. I don't think many in my crew ended up getting tickets.

I was just being nice.. with the addition of the "random" requirement it would play out just like a random poll. 10% randomly polled would represent 10% of the total tickets.

This operating system is a very bad joke.

Last edited:
The most memorable miracles will happen.
Im not giving up hope.
Its definitely going to be a tough ticket, but not impossible.

I could happen.

Stumbled across some tickets from 99 last night looking through some stuff.. pretty sure the sandbox show got cut by the cops for a noise violation in the middle of the day.. like idk three songs in.

NSFW:
20150303_225156_2_bestshot_zps6yh8z2vt.jpg

They did indeed pull the plug during tie your shoes at that 7/13 show and picked up the next night with a tie your shoes jam opener in Kansas city. They also played sandbox in KC, which was meant to be played the night before in Omaha before the plug got pulled

I was at those aspen shows, bob weir came out with them the second night