NEMD Grateful Dead Appreciation Thread

i don't get jimmy herring. he was so badass in aquarium rescue unit and jazz is dead, but its like the better he got technically the less inspired his playing became

i think colonel bruce was a major factor in the jimmy herring equation tbh, he needed somebody liek the colonel to pull the really inspired shit out of him
Yep his boring penatonic runs and general lack of inspiration are what makes him not good for panic. He might be different in another situation.
Well, panic isn't exactly known for being some super creative and technical band. Maybe that's why a pretty mediocre guitarist (houser) shined so much in that band. When I've seen Jimmy play with other folks at xmas jam and a few other shows around town over the past few years, he has been outstanding.

Maybe it's kinda like my golf game, I typically play better when I'm playing with people that are really good.

I don't know, that's probably over thinking it a bit. Maybe his sound just doesn't jive with panic. Houser, a lesser guitarist, fit their sound to perfection.

Either way, dude is getting paid big boy dollars now and he deserves every penny. So, good for him. Lots of n00bs dig his shit with panic, I am not one of those n00bs.

Jimmy is boring and generic now and hasnt wrote jack that is memorable in my mind since early on. Being a guitarist I will say houser is one of my biggest influences. For example I can remember note for note many of his solos like blue indians and many others. He made such memorable and distinct melody lines that were not just improv. He would generally have distinct melody lines for most songs and then turn on the improv when needed much like the allman bros. The way he sustained bends is like no other and I would venture to say he was 50%-60% of WSPs sound.
Always reminds me of this DVD clip where Mikey shreds so hard on acoustic. If you can do this on acoustic; notice how interesting the slides, bends, and vibrato are that is what dig in guitar tbh

Last edited:
Yea, I agree about housers sound, hell, they named the band after the guy. He knew how to sit in the pocket, play that deep under belly crunchy sounding groove and whale balls when necessary. Jimmy does just the opposite. Maybe he's not creative with panic because he doesn't have to be. They had over 20 years worth of music ready for him when he came on board. Their albums with him have been pretty bad. I don't think it's just jimmy, the whole god damn band seems uninspired as fuck anymore. They just cashin checks.

A couple of notable shows I've seen with jimmy recently were the ARU and PLQ shows two xmas jams ago and also a jimmy herring and the Rangers show last year. He shredded face in all three of those.

And that ARU show, man, shit. The day after that we went out to this lot of cabins right outside of asheville and Col married my friend and his girl (col is a registered minister among other things). Anyway, he told me they didn't even practice for that show. That shit just blows my mind. I'm gonna see if I can find that show and I'll post it.

Audio is pretty off for DW, but is fixed.

NSFW:
Setlist:

Set 1
Jack Straw
Dire Wolf
Beat It On Down The Line 13:10
Peggy-O 16:40
Mama Tried
Mexicali Blues
Funiculi Funicula
Row Jimmy
New Minglewood Blues
Loser 51:26
Lazy Lightning 59:59
Supplication

Set 2
Bertha
Good Lovin'
It Must Have Been The Roses
Estimated Prophet
Eyes Of The World
Drums
Truckin'
Wharf Rat
Around & Around
E:U.S. Blues

I still can't believe I got tickets to this fucking shit show. As of last night I wasn't even gonna try. This morning about 30 minutes before they went onsale, I thought, fuck it. Might as well might as well. Booked my hotel the day the shit was announced. Just gotta get my plane ticket now. Crazy....my buddy in Portland got tickets too. In the same row, 3 seats over from us. Out of however many tickets. I'm excited as fuck.

Knife, did you get tickets?

Little lady I share time with scored.. stage upper 2 three day. That little shadster<3 never gets shut out.

am i the only one who thinks GD were just slightly over rated? and people like them more when they are 16-17 and first start smoking weed cause they think thats what stoners listen to... or is this just me?

^ lol a good ol fashion puddleing does sound pretty scary...

anyways i was just sayin...

am i the only one who thinks GD were just slightly over rated? and people like them more when they are 16-17 and first start smoking weed cause they think thats what stoners listen to... or is this just me?

Finding myself in strong agreement with this, way over rated