Bluelighter

Welcome to the Big & Dandy DXM Thread

Dextromethorphan_transparant.png

eyeDivider.gif

External Information Links:

eyeDivider.gif

DXM Subthreads:

[original post:]

Okay, i was thinking about extracting dxm from the sucrets, and in the DXM-Faq i read the following:

Since the inert ingredients present in these lozenges may cause nausea, some people have managed to get rid of most of them by placing the lozenges in a container of water and microwaving until fully dissolved, then filtering through a coffee filter, discarding the precipitate (solid), and drinking the liquid. Longer boiling seems to drive off the flavoring and menthol without affecting the DXM.

okay, discard the solid and drink the liquid....
But on thidplateau.org they write the following:

There should be a powdery looking substance on the bottom of the cup or bowl. This is the DXM, because DXM Hbr is not water soluble. From here, you can do 1 of 2 things.

1. Siphon the excess water out of the cup/bowl leaving the powder behind. Then take the (probably wet) powder from the cup and put it into a liquid (orange juice, etc..) and Drink UP!

Discard the liquid and drink the solid

okay 8( ... so what is true? I know that DXM hbr is not water soluble, but i trusted the FAQ all the time. give me some advice clever folks...

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^ Agreed. I don't know where you live, but in most pharmacies in the US you can get gelcaps with no active ingredients other than DXM fairly cheap. They're usually marketed as generic Robitussin in the Cough & Cold section. (hope this doesn't violate source rules)

i live in canada (where milk comes in bags lol), and i haven't seen gelcaps before, and i just want to know if an extraction from sucrets is possible. Thanks for the heads up tho, i will just double check the next time and ask a pharmacist

So should i keep the solid or the liquid part?

Haha, don't ya think the chemists gonna be a bit suspicious if you just walk up like, gimme some dxm boy.

uhm no, i mean asking the guy behind the counter for gelcaps :D
sorry if that wasn't clear right from the beginning.

BTT!

So DXM is not water soluble and should therefore be in the participate, right?

^^^
I've never tried an extraction due to the availability of the aforementioned gelcaps, but it's my understanding that DXM extractions involve keeping the precipitate and tossing the liquid.

In fact, I can't imagine how it could be the other way around. Most of the ingredients in a throat lozenge would certainly dissolve into the water.

hmmmmmm..... after doing some research on google i found that this page

Solubility
in water 1.5 g/100 mL at 25 C.

Soluble 1 in 10 of ethanol.
Practically insoluble in ether.
Freely soluble in chloroform.
pH of a 1% aqueous solution 5.2 to 6.5 (Budavari,
1996).

so it is soluble in water, especialy after microwaving that stuff. So whats the point of keeping the percipitate? I'm so confused right now...:(

//note to myself: Revisit that page (http://www.dextroverse.org/txt/cccextraction.txt) and read through the instructions of extracting DXM from Tripple C pills, may work in the same way

come on guys, i know some of you ppl know something :(
I just don't want to waste money

robatussin said:
pm zombiesarepeaceful, i think there is a pic in the gallery of a sucret extraction

thanks so much, now i know for sure that i have to keep the solid.
That's what i was asking for!

Thanks a lot guys :)

rave23 said:
thanks so much, now i know for sure that i have to keep the solid.
That's what i was asking for!

Thanks a lot guys :)

I just use boiling water out of the kettle, right onto sucrets, in a clear tall glass, stir it up till they all disolve, as you do this, white stuff settles down fairly quickly. I simply drink it all basically, tastes kind of alright if you add some GFJ to it.

From Dextroverse said:
That powder that remains is probably not DXM. Even at room temperature, 100 mL of water can hold 1.5 grams of DXM HBr, so 360 mg of DXM HBr would be soluble in 24 mL of water.

You probably tossed your DXM down the sink.

The other explanation is that if the DXM in Sucrets is basic, then it won't be soluble in water, meaning that you do want to eat the powder, but since the DXM is basic, your body won't be able to absorb it.

Here's a surefire way to do it:

1) Dissolve lozenges in hot water.
2) Drink a cup of lemon juice or something acidic (orange juice, whatever).
3) Drink everything from dissolved lozenges (powder and water) on an empty stomach.
4) Drink another cup of something acidic.

That procedure ensures that you don't toss the DXM away with the liquid if the DXM is in acidic form in the lozenges. On the other hand, if the DXM is a freebase in the lozenges then this procedure acidifies it in your stomach so that your body can absorb it.

Personally I think best way to go about this, is to try both layers separatly, and see which one gets you higher. Once you know that, it is a done deal.

First filter out the white stuff on the bottom, eat it and see the results. Then the day after try the remaining water, and watch the results. In fact, seems like I have homework to do next weekend.

PS. A lot of people praise robogells, but at higher doses (2 bottles+) they are a bitch on the stomache.

Anyways rave23, if you got time this week, try the sucrets extraction. First try the filtered water see if thats hits you, then try the white stuff a day later or something. Looking at my sucrets box, It clearly states that active ingridient is dxm hbr, so it SHOULD be soluable in water. Oh and note which sucrets you are using, I buy the canadian cherry dm.

Haha, they pmed me. Yes, the dextroverse extraction works. It takes a long ass time to set in, from my experience, compared to syrup but it does work. Happy tripping.

PS- Robogels give me nausea everytime. My favorite products are zicam, delsym, sucrets..course nothing beats snow white :D

Here goes nothing...

so my friend and i just spent the last two hours extracting the dxm out of surcrets.....gettin ready to take them.. anyone got any advice? =D

When I puke I find in [somethig I've puked into/onto ;)] semi-digested pills and I feel that trip's weaker, so I try to avoid it :)

MaxPowers said:
I get nauseous but I don't care. I just throw up and still trip.

Yes, but your trip will be lesser to an extent if you throw up. Try spacing out your dosage.

I know a drugstore cowgirl
so afraid of getting bored
she's always running from something
so many things ignored

Status
Not open for further replies.