1. Collapse Details
    The Big & Dandy DXM Thread 
    Bluelight

Welcome to the Big & Dandy DXM Thread

Go to: [ Beginning of previous thread - End of previous thread ]

External Information Links:

DXM Subthreads:

[original post:]

Okay, i was thinking about extracting dxm from the sucrets, and in the DXM-Faq i read the following:

Since the inert ingredients present in these lozenges may cause nausea, some people have managed to get rid of most of them by placing the lozenges in a container of water and microwaving until fully dissolved, then filtering through a coffee filter, discarding the precipitate (solid), and drinking the liquid. Longer boiling seems to drive off the flavoring and menthol without affecting the DXM.
    okay, discard the solid and drink the liquid....
    But on thidplateau.org they write the following:

There should be a powdery looking substance on the bottom of the cup or bowl. This is the DXM, because DXM Hbr is not water soluble. From here, you can do 1 of 2 things.

1. Siphon the excess water out of the cup/bowl leaving the powder behind. Then take the (probably wet) powder from the cup and put it into a liquid (orange juice, etc..) and Drink UP!
    Discard the liquid and drink the solid

okay ... so what is true? I know that DXM hbr is not water soluble, but i trusted the FAQ all the time. give me some advice clever folks...
    Last edited by Solipsis; 29-03-2010 at 10:04.

2. Collapse Details

^^Dont waste your time or money on sucrets

3. Collapse Details

^^^ Agreed. I don't know where you live, but in most pharmacies in the US you can get gelcaps with no active ingredients other than DXM fairly cheap. They're usually marketed as generic Robitussin in the Cough & Cold section. (hope this doesn't violate source rules)

4. Collapse Details

i live in canada (where milk comes in bags lol), and i haven't seen gelcaps before, and i just want to know if an extraction from sucrets is possible. Thanks for the heads up tho, i will just double check the next time and ask a pharmacist

So should i keep the solid or the liquid part?

5. Collapse Details

Haha, don't ya think the chemists gonna be a bit suspicious if you just walk up like, gimme some dxm boy.

6. Collapse Details

uhm no, i mean asking the guy behind the counter for gelcaps
    sorry if that wasn't clear right from the beginning.

BTT!

So DXM is not water soluble and should therefore be in the participate, right?

7. Collapse Details

^^^
    I've never tried an extraction due to the availability of the aforementioned gelcaps, but it's my understanding that DXM extractions involve keeping the precipitate and tossing the liquid.

In fact, I can't imagine how it could be the other way around. Most of the ingredients in a throat lozenge would certainly dissolve into the water.

8. Collapse Details

hmmmmmm..... after doing some research on google i found that this page

Solubility
    in water 1.5 g/100 mL at 25 C.

Soluble 1 in 10 of ethanol.
    Practically insoluble in ether.
    Freely soluble in chloroform.
    pH of a 1% aqueous solution 5.2 to 6.5 (Budavari,
    1996).
    so it is soluble in water, especialy after microwaving that stuff. So whats the point of keeping the percipitate? I'm so confused right now...

//note to myself: Revisit that page (http://www.dextroverse.org/txt/cccextraction.txt) and read through the instructions of extracting DXM from Tripple C pills, may work in the same way

9. Collapse Details

come on guys, i know some of you ppl know something
    I just don't want to waste money

10. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    pm zombiesarepeaceful, i think there is a pic in the gallery of a sucret extraction

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by robatussin
    pm zombiesarepeaceful, i think there is a pic in the gallery of a sucret extraction
    thanks so much, now i know for sure that i have to keep the solid.
    That's what i was asking for!

Thanks a lot guys

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by rave23
    thanks so much, now i know for sure that i have to keep the solid.
    That's what i was asking for!

Thanks a lot guys
    I just use boiling water out of the kettle, right onto sucrets, in a clear tall glass, stir it up till they all disolve, as you do this, white stuff settles down fairly quickly. I simply drink it all basically, tastes kind of alright if you add some GFJ to it.

Quote Originally Posted by From Dextroverse
    That powder that remains is probably not DXM. Even at room temperature, 100 mL of water can hold 1.5 grams of DXM HBr, so 360 mg of DXM HBr would be soluble in 24 mL of water.

You probably tossed your DXM down the sink.

The other explanation is that if the DXM in Sucrets is basic, then it won't be soluble in water, meaning that you do want to eat the powder, but since the DXM is basic, your body won't be able to absorb it.

Here's a surefire way to do it:

1) Dissolve lozenges in hot water.
    2) Drink a cup of lemon juice or something acidic (orange juice, whatever).
    3) Drink everything from dissolved lozenges (powder and water) on an empty stomach.
    4) Drink another cup of something acidic.

That procedure ensures that you don't toss the DXM away with the liquid if the DXM is in acidic form in the lozenges. On the other hand, if the DXM is a freebase in the lozenges then this procedure acidifies it in your stomach so that your body can absorb it.

Personally I think best way to go about this, is to try both layers separatly, and see which one gets you higher. Once you know that, it is a done deal.

First filter out the white stuff on the bottom, eat it and see the results. Then the day after try the remaining water, and watch the results. In fact, seems like I have homework to do next weekend.

PS. A lot of people praise robogells, but at higher doses (2 bottles+) they are a bitch on the stomache.

Anyways rave23, if you got time this week, try the sucrets extraction. First try the filtered water see if thats hits you, then try the white stuff a day later or something. Looking at my sucrets box, It clearly states that active ingridient is dxm hbr, so it SHOULD be soluable in water. Oh and note which sucrets you are using, I buy the canadian cherry dm.

13. Collapse Details

Haha, they pmed me. Yes, the dextroverse extraction works. It takes a long ass time to set in, from my experience, compared to syrup but it does work. Happy tripping.

PS- Robogels give me nausea everytime. My favorite products are zicam, delsym, sucrets..course nothing beats snow white

14. Collapse Details
    Here goes nothing... 
    so my friend and i just spent the last two hours extracting the dxm out of surcrets.....gettin ready to take them.. anyone got any advice?

15. Collapse Details

Greenlighter
    How long is the shelf-life of the DXM from the sucrets after extraction?

16. Collapse Details

When I puke I find in [somethig I've puked into/onto ] semi-digested pills and I feel that trip's weaker, so I try to avoid it

17. Collapse Details

The Non-Dimensional Omnipresence..(While not in dimensions to save planets)..
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxPowers
    I get nauseous but I don't care. I just throw up and still trip.
    Yes, but your trip will be lesser to an extent if you throw up. Try spacing out your dosage.

18. Collapse Details

Thumbs up
    BUMP! for all my drugstore cowboys out there

19. Collapse Details

Film & Television
    Second Opinion
    I know a drugstore cowgirl
    so afraid of getting bored
    she's always running from something
    so many things ignored

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPowers
    I know a drugstore cowgirl
    so afraid of getting bored
    she's always running from something
    so many things ignored
    One of the few 311 songs I like.

21. Collapse Details

Heh. Most of you guys are noobs
    This past summer I got started with DXM. Started out with about 150 mg. This was in..July, I believe. I don't really know for sure, my long term memory's shot.
    Incidentally, that was a pre-existing condition. I've been on anti-depressants, anti-psychotics, and stuff like Ritalin for the past six years. Well, I had been. I went off Risperdal maybe a couple of months previous. Anyway, I was still on Prozaac, but experienced virtually no problems related to that.
    Anyway, I tried 150mg once more, and felt almost nothing either time. Then I tried about two thirds of a bottle of Tussein DM. That didn't do much. So I moved to about a bottle of Tussein Long-Acting. I'd advise nothing but Tussein LA. Not only does it contain only DXM, but it is also cheap and not as bad tasting as some others. DO NOT TAKE VICKS. It has less DXM, but IT TASTES LIKE SHIT.
    Anyway, after a while I moved onto about two bottles, then back to about a bottle and half for a while. Everything came to a head November 7th, when a friend and I took about 830 mg each. Our parents found out and took us to the hospital. They overreacted, because I'd been more fucked up before, and I could have slept it off. Probably my friend too, but he had a lower tolerance. So, I haven't done it since then, cause my parents are keeping all my money. It's only a matter of time until I can get some more, but I'm going to try getting Sucrets and using the extraction method on them. That way I can control the dose more accurately.
    I've ended up doing DXM more times than I can count. In about three months, probably at least.....20-30 or even more times. I only had one bad trip, and that was when I was talking on the phone with my friend, ironically the one who had gotten my friend and I started, who had recently been "saved". He gave me a massive guilt trip which rapidly turned into a bad trip. That was the only time though.

A few words to the wise, from my personal experience.
    First, at ANY high dose, have a friend around. I did almost every time.
    Second, expect places to have an effect on your trip. For instance, while staying at my friend's house, during the night we went back and forth between his back porch and his living room. Each time, the SECOND I would step through the door, everything would change. My mood, everything. I'd lose a good deal of my memory dealing with the last ~hour. Also, I once spent eternity waiting for my friend to get out of the bathroom in his hallway. ETERNITY.
    Third, if nauseous, lean over forward and breath through your mouth. Suffice it to say that one time my friend got sick while tripping, started to vomit, and breathed at an innoppurtune time. He threw up through his nose
    Fourth, when doing very large amounts, try your best not to go to sleep while at the peak, as it can slow down your breathing, even resulting in you aspirating on your own vomit. Not fun.
    Fifth, if you or a friend is having a very bad trip, here's how to help out.
    Talk to them very calmly. Remind them where they are and what is going on. Speak softly, and don't make a bunch of sudden movements, or jokes. DO NOT MESS WITH THEIR HEAD! A friend did that to another, and it didn't turn out so well. I kicked his ass afterward . Get them something to drink. Orange juice is especially good, as vitamin C (I believe) can help sober you up a bit.

That's my two cents.

22. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Avaddon
    I've ended up doing DXM more times than I can count. In about three months, probably at least.....20-30 or even more times.
    jesus christ, man, no offense, but it might be a good decision to slow down your intake; 20-30 times in 3 months is a LOT. wait at least a week, if not a month, in between trips. don't go crazy on us, ya hear?

23. Collapse Details

Psychedelic Drugs
    In all honesty, using a lot of DXM will fuck with your head. I did it 10 times in 3 months and after the last time I never wanted to see DXM again... my memory and mood and ability to speak well were strongly affected in a negative way and I was afraid it would never get better because it took about 2 years total before I was able to stop feeling like I had fried myself.

Just be careful.

24. Collapse Details

Avaddon, people above advise you good, DXM can fuck up people. Do something to lowen the frequency
    pzdr

25. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Avaddon
    Orange juice is especially good, as vitamin C (I believe) can help sober you up a bit.

I should really compile a big list of all the various and sundry shit I've heard about OJ/Vitamin C on this site that is dubious, unverified, and probably false. :P Maybe a "Big and Dandy Orange Juice Lies Thread" or something.

I know it tastes good, and it's good for you, but fucking OJ has more rumors and dubious information spread about it than Paris Hilton's vagina.

Page 1 of 38 123451121 ... LastLast