Bluelight

Thread: is suboxone an opiate?

1. Collapse Details
    is suboxone an opiate? 
    Just wondering,is soboxone an opiate? And if so,what narcotic is in it? Thanks

2. Collapse Details

3. Collapse Details

^ No, actually it is an Opiate (not just an opioid) because it is made from thebaine (opium-derrivative) and retains the basic morphinan structure.

4. Collapse Details

How about naloxone? Should you call naloxone and opiate/opioid? And how about naltrexone?

They're both opiate antagonists, but I haven't heard anyone calling them just plain 'opiates' or 'opioids'.

5. Collapse Details

thats why i said semi-synthetic.. and post the erowid page on it

6. Collapse Details

Naloxone and Naltrexone are both Opiates. They both retain structures that are found in opium, thus they are opiate. This means that naloxone and even thebaine are opiates.

An Opioid is something that does something to opioid receptors but bears no relation to opium. That is why it is an opioide. This means that anything from Meperidine to fentanyl to Salvinorin-A are opioids.

It is not a matter of pharmacology - it is a matter of grammar, actually.

More examples:

Humans and apes are different but they share a common ancestor - therefore they are primates.

Goblins have human features but aren't related to humans, therefore they are humanoids

7. Collapse Details

^It took me a second to get the last examples lol, that's clever.

Is there anywhere, with a list of "Opiates" and a list of "Opioids"? Would be helpful, as I am constantly misusing the terms.

8. Collapse Details

^ Unfortunately there isn't to my knowledge, since most scientists are horrible at language and use the terms interchangeably

Another way to put it is: Every opiate is an opioid, but not every opioid is an opiate.

9. Collapse Details

i learned something! awsome!

i too had been misusing the term.

thanks!

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Survival0200
    How about naloxone? Should you call naloxone and opiate/opioid? And how about naltrexone?

They're both opiate antagonists, but I haven't heard anyone calling them just plain 'opiates' or 'opioids'.
    On that subject, Loperamide is an opioid receptor agonist, lol, then again its the active ingredient in Immodium. There are a lot of substances out there that can affect the opioid receptors but play a role mainly on the receptor group they are specialized agonists for while not being centrally acting on the CNS.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DarkCode
    On that subject, Loperamide is an opioid receptor agonist, lol, then again its the active ingredient in Immodium. There are a lot of substances out there that can affect the opioid receptors but play a role mainly on the receptor group they are specialized agonists for while not being centrally acting on the CNS.
    It is a mu-antagonist in the intestines/pns. It just doesnt cross the BBB

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DarkCode

If you remove that chlorine (NaBH4) it becomes more more centerally active. I strongly suspect that making a propenyl ester from that -OH that it would make a mild analgesic, but nothing amazing.