• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Inhaling alcohol via dry ice

Status
Not open for further replies.

lolitsjohn

Bluelighter
SSIA.

I know it sounds stupid, but a couple of my friends brought this up today.

Are there any dangers of consuming alcohol via this method and is 80 proof vodka enough?

I'd imagine the main dangers would be causing lung damage by freezing them, and of course alcohol poisoning from taking too much. That's about all I can tell you.

^ C'mon, this is a harm reduction forum. How about, "tell them not to try it." hehe..

Why on earth would you want to inhale 100% CO2? That's what you would be doing. I doubt you could even get enough alcohol in the vapor and you would most likely asphyxiate yourself or knock yourself unconscious!

This is a REALLY interesting idea. What most people here don't realize is that the "smoke" that comes from dry ice being thrown in a liquid is actually atomized particles of that liquid. Give it a try. Two things though...CO2 does not feel pleasant to inhale. You can probably get past it though. Second, DO NOT take one huff after the other. Leave time for oxygen to get into your lungs.

So your friends want to inhale carbon dioxide and ethanol vapours?

They will either pass out, feel hypoxic, confused, lethargic. If they use alot of dry ice in an enclosed space, that too can build up to toxic levels. Carbon dioxide is heavier than air, so *in an enclosed space* you will end up with a layer of carbon dioxide building up on the ground.

I guess the main question is: Why would they want to do that?

(and yes, they would end up supercooling the alcohol as well. It's not good to drink really cold liquids, and HORRIBLE if ANY piece of dry ice comes into contact with skin/insides of your body).

^ Great advice. I was hoping that someone with a decent background in chemistry/and or physics would step in. Thank you! :D

lifeisforliving said:
So your friends want to inhale carbon dioxide and ethanol vapours?

They will either pass out, feel hypoxic, confused, lethargic. If they use alot of dry ice in an enclosed space, that too can build up to toxic levels. Carbon dioxide is heavier than air, so *in an enclosed space* you will end up with a layer of carbon dioxide building up on the ground.

I guess the main question is: Why would they want to do that?

(and yes, they would end up supercooling the alcohol as well. It's not good to drink really cold liquids, and HORRIBLE if ANY piece of dry ice comes into contact with skin/insides of your body).

1. Carbon dioxide on the ground will dissapate unless they are in an airtight room, but really who cares about CO2 on the ground?
2. You will not pass out if you have breaths in between.
3. They would want to do it because inhaled ethanol will go straight to the blood stream and is a more effective way of getting wasted.
4. The alcohol vapor will NOT be supercooled. Thats completely rediculous.
5. The alcohol itself will barely see a dip in temperature. It certainly won't become as cold if you were to put it in a freezer unless you keep dumping tons of dry ice into it over a long period of time.
6. You can handle dry ice...I've done it many many times. You can't let it touch skin for more than about 2 seconds before you move it to a different place.
7. How would it come into contact with him anyways? The dry ice would be at the bottom of a bottle of liquid.

sonic said:
^ Great advice. I was hoping that someone with a decent background in chemistry/and or physics would step in. Thank you! :D

Coming from someone with a science background, its obvious that Lifeisforliving doesn't have much of one. I'm not trying to be mean, but alot of what he/she said is completely wrong. They post it like they know the facts, and thats how misinformation is spread.

OverDriven, no need to be so crude. Life did mention that it could be dangerous in an enclosed place, which is true esp if its done in larger quantities. And yes, you CAN pass out if you keep inhaling because no oxygen is reaching the lungs. It may seem obvious to you to take breaths of oxygen in between hits, but this is bluelight and there are plenty of people who aren't as smart as you.

Peruvian Cocaine said:
Heres a vid of some people doing it. Not sure how safe or legit that is.

It did not look particularly pleasant in the video.

I don't get it. By what mechanism is the ethanol vaporizing?

<<<<not a natural scientist.

ebola

Every once in awhile at my highschool there will be a "craze" once someone finds an innovative way of getting fucked up. Last time it was giving blood and drinking afterwards. This sounds more interesting :) .

I got alcohol poisoning once when I was young(er) and stupid(er) and haven't had a drop of hard alcohol since. Can't drink it anymore. This could be an okay alternative but i'll still be wary =).

oh boy.. theres not much of a danger aside from getting a headrush from the alcohol.. i recomend this method.. lol

OverDriven said:
Coming from someone with a science background, its obvious that Lifeisforliving doesn't have much of one. I'm not trying to be mean, but alot of what he/she said is completely wrong. They post it like they know the facts, and thats how misinformation is spread.

Well, I don't know what to say then, not sure who to believe either. I don't claim to be an expert on everything. I mostly only know about pharms due to years of experience and research. Dry ice and "smoking alcohol" sure isn't anything I'm familiar with. It sounds like a bad idea though.

Why wouldn't they just drink it? Diluted, of course. :D

I mean, no need to go overboard, when you can just get drunk by drinking it the old way.

It's still alcohol, no matter how you take it.

dude this is crazy but overdriven is correct about everything....

and the CO2 building up on the floor? ...'come on dude! haha that was funny if this was any real danger then what about at halloween parties when people fill buckets and coolers of the shit! i think u are getting carbon monoxide and co2 confused but still it was a funny comment! even if it did build up on the floor its not like hes laying with his nose to the carpet is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.