• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Ethcathinone

nuke

Bluelighter
AKA 2-ethylaminopropiophenone. Who's tried it? Worthwhile? I've been told it's not as good as amphetamine.

I have never been able to find a whole lot of info on this one. Very interested in it though. I will have to keep an eye on this thread.

I got some many, many years ago from Aldrich's catalogue of rare chemicals (don't worry it's not a source, since they joined with Sigma they wont do buisness with anyone without university or similar affiliation - or several notes from your mother!) as it's an active metabolite of diethylpropion (Tenuate Dospan or chalkies/tombstones in hip parlance =D), which is alright as a stimulant, but nothing to get too excited about. 50mg will produce reasonable CNS stimulation, but you'll not be eating anything for 18 hours afterwards

Tenuate Dospan. Wow, I remember THOSE babys. Tombstones were currency in my school (Private, high achieving place) near exam time. I dropped 4 and was awake 3 days!

Living in NZ, Tenuate Dospan was a regular "supplement" with many of the thinner, fun loving girls during the seventies.

so whats a good dose to start off with.. (if one would aquire a little..).. oh.. 50mg? - coming from an amphetamine hardhead (just curious..)

I've made it and tried it...all right as a stimulant, but nothing too great. Best used as nasal spray. Mainly a NE uptake inhibitor, lacking the dopaminergic push, but still something you can get accustom to.

^^^Have you made the butane analog of meth as well? I've mentioned this in another thread, but a friend of mine in The Netherlands made the 3 & 4 carbon 1-phenyl, 2 methyl amino compounds. He optically seperated them & tried them. He stated that the 4-carbon was better. Reckoned it passed through the BBB faster (or something). I mean, what's its legal status in the UK?

A friend of mine made aephetamine & it's N-methyl derivative & said that they weren't that impressive in comparison to amphetamine & meth. He did say that the beta keto derivatives were pretty good though

Well, I haven't tried ethcathinone, but I've tried the analogue with one extra carbon: 2-ethylaminobutyrophenone (N-ethyl"catbutinone"?).

I wasn't expecting much, but it was actually fairly enjoyable. Quite stimulating and no need for sleep was felt. It had some euphoria but not as much as with plain amphetamine. The duration was also a bit less long, but longer than say MDPV.

reminds me of the difference between mbdb and mdma.
ot:
so one can assume that 4C sidechain analogues of amphetamine like stimulants maintain activity combined with a drop in recreational potential.
according to adriadnes pihkal entry this seems also to be the case with 2,5-dimethoxy-peas.
so why are the sar's of these compunds, although having different receptor binding profiles, so similar regarding alpha alkylation? handling by mao-b? relevant question?

Last edited:
I think that it is interesting that N,N-diethylcathinone (diethylpropion) is completely inactive in vivo, but ethylcathinone is a methylphenidate-like DA/NE reuptake inhibitor (Rothman 2005, I think). I bet the butyl (aka alpha-ethyl) analogue would be a lot like pyrovalerone or MDPV. I don't think that MAO-mediated destruction is an issue, as long as there is something at the alpha position--such that the compound is not a naked phenethylamine. I assume that increasing the alpha carbon chain length shifts the profile of the compound from that of an amphetaminergic DAT substrate to a that of a bulky N-substituted DA/NE reuptake inhibitor. Also, the beta-keto moiety appears to confer reuptake blocking properties, rather than substrate properties.

Last edited:
Between the stupefying Methcathinone, the utterly life-destroying MDPV, and the fuck-me-but-run-away-before-I-cum Methylone... I decided that the Cathinones are a worthless bunch (for me, at least).

I am still interested in Catha edulis, though.

I'm not a fan of the cathinones either. Methylone does virtually nothing for me, empathogen wise and MDPV causes so much uncomfortable sympathomimetic PNS activity and wicked headaches, even at a 5mg dose. For some reason, my MDPV experience was even worse than methylphenidate in terms of PNS stimulation (i.e. massive sweating, bump in heart rate, jitteriness, headache, flushing). It was like drinking 8 shots of espresso while chewing nicotine gum at the same time. Not only was it not ideal in terms of ADD therapeutic effect, it was just not worth it period.

Last edited:
I'm someone else who finds MDPV unpleasent. I much preferred desoxypipradrol (in spite of it's wicked 1/2 life).

nuke said:
AKA 2-ethylaminopropiophenone. Who's tried it? Worthwhile? I've been told it's not as good as amphetamine.

A friend of mine ordered a substance called "Ethylamphetamine" and I think the longer name was 2-ethylaminopropiophenone. He took it in 10 mg doses and found it to be a strong stimulant, appetite suppressant, but not very euphoric. I think the most he tried at 1 time was 30 mg.

This happened in the late 1990's so my memory is a little fuzzy. Seems like he tried to order more of it, but a permit was required shortly after his first experiments.

^ Not the same thing, ther's no keto group in ethylamphetamine (& it's a very, very nice stimulant on a par with amphetamine potency wise, but much smoother (a bit like meth, but without the crazy potential - the euphoria wasn't as pronounced as with methamphetamine, but it was plentiful enough)

i tried Methcathinone and it was by far the most edgy ampy shitty ass speed like drug i have ever taken. Absolutely horrible in every way to me.