EMD Can we get a freakin' TECHNO thread or what?

daninalbion

Bluelighter
I merged in an older thread, this is still the Techno mega thread - Levictus

im really confused by this genre.

on threads that mention it there seems to be such a mish mash of genres classed as 'techno'.

so what is techno and how does it dffer from other dance genres.

reccomendations of some good techno albums? with a breif description please cos i find it really pointless when people just list a long name of artists and i dont think it really helps anyone.

sorry for such a boring thread but evrywhere i seem to search leaves me with contradictory results.

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not incredibly knowledgeable about techno but a good start would be to check out anything from Ritchie Hawtin, John Aquaviva, and Jeff Mills.

When I think of techno I think of a strong four four drum beat with an emphasis on the backbeat. Very high on the highhats. As far as the supporting layers go, its machiney. Not too much for builds and such like trance. Layers pop in and disapear quickly.

Of course you can get into the intelligent minimal genra which is definately techno too but when I think techno, I think bangin. :)

I'd check out Carl Cox (I don't know any names of record labels he is on) or DJ Rush. DJax is a nice import label that he and a bunch of other Chicago style hard techno artists.

For the most part I haven't been able to find stuff that sounded like what I was trying to say with music so for the most part I've been concentrating on Live PA stuff with Roland 808ex samplers. (which has been going well) :)

Last edited:
ok. techno started in detroit. check out derrick may, kevin sanderson, juan atkins, the belleville three. you can argue that kraftwerk "invented" techno, but it all really started with those three guys. go to discogs and go to their bios and from there click onto their pseudonyms and group names and check out the labels they recorded for. there you will find a whole world of techno and before it got diluted.

underground resistance and it's members also still stay true.

that is better than a good start.

I got Carl Cox Global ('06) the other day, i think it's a pretty good example of Tech House.

phish1970 said:
jeff mills is detroit techno as well.

Only in the sense that his style evolved from the original Detroit techno a la May, Saunderson, Atkins and so on.

The timeline would be something like...

Bellville 3
V
Underground Resistance
V
Jeff Mills as he is now

phish1970 said:
a whole world of techno and before it got diluted.

Diluted? Don't you mean evolved? I don't se what's any less valid about the music of Richie Hawtin, Adam Beyer, Chris Liberator, Josh Wink, Woody McBride, The Horrorist or any of the multitude of artists that produce techno... sure, much of it is no "Strings of Life" from a melody standpoint, but it'll get you moving and surely that was the original point of techno? To take the traditional idea of dance music and evolve it, change it, warp it, but still keep the fundatmental thing that makes people move. Right?

i meant diluted as in there is a lot of bad techno and bad examples of techno out their right now. take hawtin, beyer, liberator, wink & mcbride etc... out of that statement. i wasn't referring to that stuff.

nowonmai said:
Only in the sense that his style evolved from the original Detroit techno a la May, Saunderson, Atkins and so on.

The timeline would be something like...

Bellville 3
V
Underground Resistance
V
Jeff Mills as he is now

yeah, i know the timeline. and the stories. thanks. ;o)

btw, jeff mills was a part of UR until lord michael hired him away for a residency in NYC which lasted less than a month. so technically, jeff mills was UR as well.

Techno's form--as I understand it--is a succession of elemental layers that move in and out of a timeline at 2, 4, 8, 16, and 32 bars. It is primarily a loudspeaker driven expression fixated on minute alterations of repeating samples, sound, and volume.

The kick drives many forms, but not all; Many minimal soundscapes have almost completely removed the heavy thump I tend to associate with the more dance oriented parts of the spectrum.

I'm not a purest, and I consider many forms that loosely fit my description Techno. Although I am loathe to use the word Techno in place of the word Electronica.

More info about the origins of the form and term:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techno_Music

some time back, someone here posted an excellent guide on all the different types of electronic music, from psy trance to goth/industrial....with explanations of how it evolved, examples of artists that fall into that category, etc....if anyone knows what i am talking about, that would help this poster.

The title says it all:

Vince Watson - Detroit Classics ( ableton mix pt2 )

1. 69 - Microlover - Planet e
2. Fix - Diligent - Ignitor
3. Carl Craig - Twilight - Planet e
4. Rhythim is Rhythim - Kaotic Harmony - Transmat
5. The Martian - Skypainter - Red Planet
6. Speedy J - Rise - Plus 8
7. The Martian - Stardancer - Red Planet
8. Aril Brikha - Grove la Chord - Transmat
9. Carl Craig - Science Fiction - Blanco Y Negro
10. Robert Hood - The Grey Area - M-Plant
11. Galaxy 2 Galaxy - Journey of the Dragons - UR
12. Yennek - War of the Worlds - Buzz/Transmat/Art of Dance
13. The Martian - Journey to the Martian Polar Ice Caps - Red Planet
14. Blake Baxter - Altitude - ESP
15. Lfo - Dial - Planet e
16. Robert Hood - Make a Wish - M-Plant
17. Robert Hood - Interior Suspect - M-Plant

This is a short excerpt of an acid-drenched tech set with a wank internet radio voice-over:

Josh Wink - Live at Extrema in Eindhoven, The Netherlands (NYE 2006) > ( left click )

good info noodle, but i don't think aphex twin or polygon window (rdj works) are techno. perhaps rdj uses elements of, but not true techno.

I think it is probably more fair to say that there was a cross-pollination of ideas between Chicago, Detroit, and Windsor during the 80's.

And their inspiration was ultimately derived from the post disco sounds of New York and Italy, as well as the synthetic music of Germany.

The music that Richard D. James was doing in the early part of his career was very similar in execution to stuff coming out of the Great Lakes Area, even if his forms were superficially different.

Polygon Window ~ Bike Pump Meets Bucket is Techno in my book.

:)

phish1970 said:
ok. techno started in detroit. check out derrick may, kevin sanderson, juan atkins, the belleville three. you can argue that kraftwerk "invented" techno, but it all really started with those three guys. go to discogs and go to their bios and from there click onto their pseudonyms and group names and check out the labels they recorded for. there you will find a whole world of techno and before it got diluted.

underground resistance and it's members also still stay true.

that is better than a good start.
good to see a Phan knowledgable on techno also;)