EMD Can we get a freakin' TECHNO thread or what?

Surgeon - 10 Years of Birmingham Techno 1995-2005 > ( left click )

00.00 : Surgeon - Atol (Downwards)
01.23 : Surgeon - Magneze (Downwards)
04.10 : Regis - ModelFriendship (Downwards)
05.06 : Surgeon - Badger Bite (Downwards)
06.43 : Regis - Speak To Me (Downwards)
09.53 : Surgeon - Optic (Downwards)
10.48 : Regis - Untitled (from Hard Eduction sampler) (Downwards)
11.44 : Regis - Baptism (Downwards)
12.40 : Regis - Adolescence (Downwards)
13.35 : Female - Gayscene (Downwards)
14.31 : Female - Angel Plaque (Downwards)
15.47 : Karl O'Connor & Peter Sutton - Guiltless (Tresor)
17.11 : Surgeon - Intro (Version II) (Tresor)
19.30 : Surgeon - Return (Tresor)
20.54 : Surgeon - Credence part 2 (Dynamic Tension)
22.45 : Surgeon - Credence part 4 (Dynamic Tension)
23.40 : User - User02 b1 (User Records)
24.36 : User - User03 a2 (User Records)
25.32 : User - User05 a1 (User Records)
26.28 : User - User06 d2 (User Records)
27.23 : Surgeon - La Real (Counterbalance)
28.40 : Surgeon - Waiting For Me (Counterbalance)
30.38 : Surgeon - Midnight Club Tracks part 1.1 (Counterbalance)
31.34 : Surgeon - Midnight Club Tracks part 2.1 (Counterbalance)
32.44 : Surgeon - Midnight Club Tracks part 2.2 (Counterbalance)
33.39 : Diversion Group - All Boys, No Girls (Downwards)
34.35 : Diversion Group - Shirts and Skins (Downwards)
35.02 : Surgeon - Setting The Scene (Dynamic Tension)
36.54 : Surgeon - Sleep (Ultra Violet) (Dynamic Tension)
40.09 : Surgeon - Death Before Surrender (Downwards)
42.00 : Surgeon - Another Body (Counterbalance)
43.23 : Surgeon - Prowler (Counterbalance)
45.29 : Surgeon - Exhibit (Counterbalance)
48.16 : Surgeon - Shaper Of The Unknown (Counterbalance)
49.11 : Karl O'Connor, Peter Sutton & Ian J. Richardson - Death Head Said (Downwards)
50.35 : Regis & Ian J. Richardson - Untergang (Sandwell District)
51.58 : Regis - Get On Your Knees (Downwards)
53.04 : Regis - White Stains (Downwards)
53.32 : Vandross - Hurt Me I'm Waiting (Female RMX) (Sandwell District)
55.24 : Paul Bailey - Saturday Boy (Surgeon RMX) (1881 Records)
57.57 : Paul Bailey - Informantion Illusion (Rodz-Konez)
59.20 : British Murder Boys - Learn Your Lesson (Counterbalance)
62.35 : British Murder Boys - Don't Give Way To Fear part 2 (Counterbalance)
63.30 : British Murder Boys - Fist (Downwards)
64.26 : British Murder Boys - Father Loves Us (Counterbalance)
67.13 : British Murder Boys - Anti Inferno (Counterbalance)
69.32 : Surgeon - Klonk part 2 (Dynamic Tension)
71.23 : Surgeon - Untitled 2.3 (Counterbalance)
73.43 : Surgeon - Untitled 3.2 (Counterbalance)

i used to be really into trance

untill i got really into techno

i really love tech-trance, but i love really dark techno with so many different layers your head explodes.

phish1970 said:
correct. illuminati, just keep listening and it will make sense. you definately don't have to know fuckall about bpm's to tell the difference between those three. at least, i didn't when i figured it out.

I know the difference between the genres. I listen to a huge variety. I'm not like alot of people who only hype up on sect of the music. Techno was always the generic definition of the music i listened to. So what is the definition of this music? I'll never call it electronic music. Dance music is too broad because alot of "electronic" music is not that danceable.

Whats some good tech-trance stuff? Or well, more tech-psytrance. I used to be a huge psytrance fan, but cant get into most of it anymore. A few producers that still catch my ears are like, pps project, midi milliz, spirallianz, xv killist, krumuler and a few others -- but having a hard time finding stuff outside of that small group that I actually like.

illuminati stylez said:
Techno was always the generic definition of the music I listened to. So what is the definition of this music?

You can call what you enjoy listening to whatever you want. Just be aware that people will assume you are describing a specific genre of electronic music when you use the word Techno.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techno_Music

I'll never call it electronic music.

electronic music = ...electro, hip-hop, new wave, house, techno, breaks, trance....

VIDEO: Discovering Electronic Music

part 1

part 2

part 3

I saw jeff mills in frankfurt back in 94 or 95? he was the only techno DJ that made me jump like a punk on eurospeed a fucking legend. Just a small list of producers that I will always respect and would be the best lineup in my opinion for a great event. My definition of techno anyway.

jeff mills
surgeon
carl cox
joey beltram
adam beyer
cari lekerbush
dave clark
carl craig
neil landstrumm
ian pooley
richie hawtin
john acquaviva

for the chill room id go for underground resistance

n.b. LMAO Alern8 (I think I still have the record), reminds me of some of the early raves I went to wearing a face mask, those were the days heh..

shypht said:
Whats some good tech-trance stuff? Or well, more tech-psytrance. I used to be a huge psytrance fan, but cant get into most of it anymore. A few producers that still catch my ears are like, pps project, midi milliz, spirallianz, xv killist, krumuler and a few others -- but having a hard time finding stuff outside of that small group that I actually like.

THE DELTA (Everything they have released)

PROCS - STUCK IN THE OVEN WITH ME

X-DREAM - IRRITANT

KOXBOX - U-TURN (Psychedelic Trance with lots of TECHNO influences)

yeah procs is awesome!

what about the harder edge of techno?

labels like Stay Up Forever, Hydraulix... artists like the Geezer, DAVE the Drummer etc...

i don't want to sound like a pretentious ass, but I've always strongly associated techno music with the broader issue of the computer revolution we are witnessing all around us; part of why I admire Kraftwerk so much is not just their music, but the way they integrated it into the rest of their artwork to really develop the theme of man and machine becoming one. for example, just look at their album title from 1978 (!): "Die Mensch-Maschine" ("The Man-Machine"):

man.jpg

and now it's 2007 and look what happened two years ago:

A paralysed man in the US has become the first person to benefit from a brain chip that reads his mind. Matthew Nagle, 25, was left paralysed from the neck down and confined to a wheelchair after a knife attack in 2001.
The brain chip reads his mind and sends the thoughts to a computer to decipher.
He can think his TV on and off, change channels and alter the volume thanks to the technology and software linked to devices in his home. ...Mr Nagle has also been able to use thought to move a prosthetic hand and robotic arm to grab sweets from one person's hand and place them into another.

Chip-Reads-Mind31mar05a.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4396387.stm

i mean. what. the.fuck.

what i recognise as "techno" needs to recreate the awe i feel when i think about technology in the last 20 years. i want to feel a sense of foreboding, of power. it should be raw but precise, loud but smart. simple building blocks but complex results (like a binary code). and yet, no unnecessary sophistication. techno is about functionality and should instantly convince you of its merits. techno is the original music of modern technology. and technology is our future (or lack thereof).

Last edited:
...it should be raw but precise, loud but smart. very simple building blocks....

Matthew Dear ~ Leave Luck to Heaven

Matthew Dear ~ Backstroke

Audion ~ Suckfish

it's not trance. it's not house. its not any of that weird dubcrap that people are somehow passing off as music these days... it's god damn straight up techno. the most diverse genre of music on the planet IMO. minimal to straight up bangin,' detroit vocal (kinda shitty but whatever) to acid (also shitty), there are just so many different sounds that fall into that category.

What defines techno? I don't think anyone has put it better than Wittgenstein in the Philosophical Investigations in the passage on the fixity of meaning (I wish I had my copy here. I'll post the exact citation when I get my book). He uses the example of a game. Essentially, it is impossible to define a game in terms of a particular characteristic or characteristics. Not all games have rules (small childrens' games), not all games are played for fun (professional sports), not all games are competitive (solitaire) etc... so how do we know that something is a game? Well, it's because it bears a certain family resemblance to other things in the category.

Similarly, we can know what the term 'techno' means without being able to give a precise definition. once you've heard enough techno, you'll know it when you hear it.

So who are some of your favs -- djs and producers? what are some of the best TECHNO parties you've ever been to? What's sitting in yor gig crate right now? what's in your checkout box that you aren't sure about?

i haven't bought tracks in a while, but i also haven't played out in a while. so, i really can't say what i'm liking at the moment, but i'm a devout drumcode (and swedish techno in general) snob. :\

word. drumcode is sick, and swedish techno is the shiz nizzy. totally my favourite sub genre (if you can call it that) of techno. check out Carl Falk if you're into the harder stuff. i'd somehow never heard of him until I just randomly stumbled across one of his tracks on beatport. soooooo good. Mhonolink is sooooo sick too, and Hertz has (actually, I guess it's have now. they recently became a duo) some kickass tunes too.