Dubstep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Psychedelic Gleam said:
I really really dislike the dubstep I have heard

it definately seems targeted towards the "stoner" crowd

Oh and alot of it DOES sound like Grime just without the shitty MC's...

i'll be honest with you - i don't think dubstep is main room music. (bring on the flames...) it's being treated like dancefloor music by a lot of people, and that's always fine if some feel compelled to dance, but i personally see it as chillout music. i'm a downtempo DJ as well as a junkie for sweaty dance tunes, so i'm drawn to dubstep largely for the stoney elements you mentioned above.

i'm a little bit picky about my dubstep though, and that probably influences my opinion of the genre overall. i really only like the tripped out, heavy low end stuff that has strong elements of dub, reggae, trip hop, etc. the grimey sounding stuff with the obnoxious party vocals is not my style at all. those tunes do sound like stripped down, diluted versions of older material... boring.

maybe dubstep just isn't your thing. for people who are expecting it to be music to really get crazy and jam out to, i can kind of understand why. for me, this kind of music serves a more relaxing purpose.

Last edited:
@lterEgo said:
i'll be honest with you - i don't think dubstep is main room music. (bring on the flames...) it's being treated like dancefloor music by a lot of people, and that's always fine if some feel compelled to dance, but i personally see it as chillout music.

Not attempting to flame here, but most dubstep as I know it has about the same bpm as most standard breakbeat music that comes out these days. While I see where you're coming from I do think it has viability on the dancefloor. We've done 2 main room dubstep shows that had 250 people at one and close to 400 at the other and people were loving it. Then again we had incredibly massive soundsystems and were running about 30,000 watts at each show, kinda hard to not move and sway to the sounds when you guts are being rumbled by the sub base.

nobody likes it when you say their music isn't well suited for the dancefloor, but i'll try to explain.

listen again to the vex'd set you posted. it's a cool set, but it's also super mellow. if you really believe that those echoey beats, regardless of what a bpm counter might tell you, are as lively and danceable as "most standard breakbeat music" then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

dubstep is regarded as stoner music for a reason. it's more cerebral, layered, chuggy, nuanced, etc. than a lot of dance music out there... not much different than progressive house when that style was first gaining its own footing, and prog was widely considered "DJs music". like prog, dubstep can certainly be danced to if people feel so inspired and i've seen it move crowds. it's possible. still, it's music that's just as likely to be sort of studied and deconstructed by music nerds as it is totally partied down to on a big night out.

like i said, i personally think of dubstep as chillout music, particularly the kinds of dubstep tracks that i seem to enjoy. if people want to eat stimulants and rave out and give light shows to dubstep, that's all fine, but that's not the kind of response the music evokes from me. people that are expecting bangin' dance music and instead hear spacey, delayed meanderings through percussion might be a little bit underwhelmed by dubstep. it's just not that kind of music for everybody.

^ true that the bpm's don't necessarily equate to dance floor action.
atmospheric drum'n'base anyone?

It does definetly boil down to a matter of opinion I guess. My point was that it does have a place in the spectrum of dancefloor music and I've seen it happen. But I guess it's like people that are really into trance that think drum and bass is too hard to dance to.

i love dubstep
toasty - i seek knowledge is one of my favorite records
i dont really spin dubstep that much though

massive said:
atmospheric drum'n'base anyone?

Hell yeh man love that shit,will still listen to the hard stuff but atmospheric on the way home is where its @

Anyone else listening to dubstep??

Can't get enough of this track ----> Fat Freddy's Drop - Cay Cray's (Digital Mystikz Remix)

And loving the stuff Luke Envoy is putting out....!

Digging some GRIME flavas as well.

Only a matter of time before it reaches the masses...mark my words on that pne

I heard some of this for the first time the other night...a friend of mine is producing some. I'm liking what I hear so far!

Definately! u can only really listen to true dubstep...on a huge system

The sub-bass is freakin BOOM style!

Finding myself more absorbed in the music every day

I have been spinning dubstep for about a year now...... I fucking LOVE it!!!

Can't seam to get crowds really into it yet though, tends to put people off a bit. I guess I just gotta raise some more aweness and have people come out specifically to hear it.

I'd be down..

Unfortunately dont live in Melb...which sucks! coz it seems to have the healthiest Dubstep scene in AUS at the moment

smokin' joe said:
I have been spinning dubstep for about a year now...... I fucking LOVE it!!!

Can't seam to get crowds really into it yet though, tends to put people off a bit. I guess I just gotta raise some more aweness and have people come out specifically to hear it.

You just have to play the more upbeat, garagish stuff to move crowds. Or, you could just drop Midnight Request Line and let the subwoofers do the work

Whoever said it's not a dancing or club music POOPPOOO

come to sydney and go to the dubstep nights they have here, on this guy's custom and self-made speaker rigs. It will blow the wax right out of your ears.

It's sooooooo awesome to robot dance, or liquidstyle to this shit when really pissed. We all get mega trashed and dance like cartoon characters/tards' to this. Sure it doesn't have the *thud Thud thud* bpm and regularity, but dancing slowly to a slower, broken beat with ultra wobbly bass that threatens your balance with its sheer force is a skill too.

<3 Dubstep 4 eva
grime is pretty cool too

Last edited:
Dubstep and techstep are definately hard to look really "pro" or classy when dancing to it; but on the other hand...there's nothing better for dancing/stomping around w/absurd arm motions in such a way that everyone who sees you knows you're fucked up. Hands down my favorite dance music when I'm hella fucked on somekind of drug with an intense body high (LSD, DOx, MDMA, methamp, ketamine). Actually, I've got a soft spot for breaks and acid house too...

hehe i know what you mean sandbag. I can do complex wavy motions with my hands. I learnt it from my old raver days where glowsticks to dance with were a prerequisite

^Yeah, I'm still in those days, cept I only bring sticks to very large events. It's funny when I've been to some legal shows at local venues where 98% of the crowd is just bopping and doing some subdued little two-step thing with a beer in one hand; but a couple of us are swirling and stomping around from speaker-stack to speaker-stack in the big pants and wildly making arm motions in sync with the bassline while rolling face, tripping or both.

I wish I had been born much ealier so I could have started attending events in the early '90s. Too many people that just drink these days that attend shows and I don't know which ones are former drug users and which ones might not like seeing people displaying drug induced behavior. It makes me a little noid since I'm especially fond of tensing up your arms to make those sudden popping/strobing/jerking movements that sync up with part of the track...which is kinda like putting on an, "i'm f-ed on something illegal" nametag.

Status
Not open for further replies.