Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

(Diphenhydramine) First time: Hallucinations: Very bad experience

northern_irishgirl

Greenlighter
(also posted in the 'other drugs' forum, but thought it fitted here too)

I've spent the past three hours reading this forum about Nytol and drugs with the same active ingrediant (I believe it's diphenhydramine hyrocholride) and had to register as the experiences have been so similar to mine I wanted to warn anyone NOT to take too many of these.

As a background, I drink often, but don't take illegal drugs as a rule. I've taken coke twice, speed twice, but found the comedowns to be more of an annoyance than the actual experience, so have stuck to alcohol for my highs.

I have taken Nytol in the past for up to a month at a time in times when my depression gets bad. Like others I thought I'd found an instant happy-pill, I had a sense of wellbeing and calm, and after about a week they would stop putting me to sleep and I'd just have the calm feeling for a few hours.

I'd never been on them on a dose more than 300mg at a time for periods longer than a month, and then I would perk up and stop buying them as my mood naturally sorted itself out.

I also never too alcohol the same day, before or after taking a dose of nytol.

Lately though I've been on them again, from around Oct to now, three months of taking doses of 300mg a day plus around 4 days out of 7.

I started to notice that when I took them my short term memory would be SCREWED. I only took them when I was at home, and not interacting with people in real life, I would just be in bed online on my laptop, but I would find myself having to pause midway through typing something and read over it again as I'd forgotten what I was writing, or who to.

I would have to stop midway through opening a new browser window as I'd instantly forget what I was about to look up.
I didn't really mind these effects too much, more of a nusiance.

A few nights I would find myself in bed trying to sleep on these doses, and thinking I was elsewhere, like staying at a friends house, then opening my eyes and remembering I was at home.

Other times I would start talking to my Mum, or a friend, only to realise it was just inside my head and the person wasn't there.
This happened a few times, but I put it down to tiredness on the drug rather than hallucination. Now I've read these forums I realise it was the drug, totally!

Last night was the worst. I must have taken about 6 or 7 Nytol in the space of 12 hours. I've been finding this week they'd been making me feel more panicky than good, but had still taken them

About 2 hours after taking the last three I felt very, very odd. I threw up but knew the 400mg or so I'd taken in the past 12 hours would be well absorbed into my system.
I began completely freaking out.
Nothing seemed real and I could hear things that weren't there.

I had to tell my parents (I'm 26 but am living at home at present) who obviously go very concerned. I assured them I wasn't trying to kill myself (I wasn't) and that I'd been taking them for the anxiety relief they'd given me.
We phoned the doctor, then the A&E who looked up my dose and assured me it would pass, just ride it out.

2 hours of hell.
Waves of feeling intensely strange. My Dad sat with me to make sure I was okay. It would either be to quiet and I'd ask him to talk, or too much would be happening.

I'd found this before, what now I realise are hallucinations in previous 'trips' on nytol I hadn't even known I was on... like thinking I was controlling the storyline on tv in a soap opera... or following strange trains of thought in my head only to snap out of it and think 'what the hell was I just thinking there?'.

After a few hours it wore off. I feel fine now apart from a little woozy and occasional noticable lapses in short term memory.
I will never, EVER take that stuff again, and any of my friends who knew I was taking it I will warn off.

Horrible, HORRIBLE drug.

Apologies for length, just glad I wasn't actually going mad last night and that other people have had the exact same experience as me.

Tagged by Xorkoth
substancecode_diphenhydramine
substancecode_deliriants
explevel_firsttime
exptype_negative
exptype_bodyload
exptype_difficult
roacode_oral

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds just like an anti-cholinergic deleriant induced state of absolute misery.
Read more reports for the substance on EROWID, you will find you got standard effects for the dose you took.

Yep, sounds like diphenhydramine alright...

Interesting report, although I wished for more detail about the actual "trip". More description of the kinds of hallucinations you had would be nice. Nevertheless, a pretty good report.

Also, I changed the title to conform to the guidelines - I added your experience level with the substance in question.

And welcome to Bluelight!

Thank you!

I didn't have as many visual hallucinations as other people, I didn't see insects like many other people reported.

I did have the auditory hallucinations which began on one of the many trips to the bathroom to pee. I could hear computer game music, but knew it wasn't real. I kept switching from just hearing it to thinking, 'no you've been imagining it the past few minutes', back to thinking I'd only just started hearing it. Very disturbing feeling to have no memory.

The visual hallucinations were more inside my head, like the talking to someone who wasn't there, I'm not even sure if my eyes were open.
I know a few times before the worst/last time there, any time I had my eyes closed, I thought I could still see through my eyelids.
Also a horrible effect!

It's the switching between mad trains of thought and visions straight back into a 'what the hell?!' state of mind, then slipping back into delirium back and forth that I REALLY didn't like.

ugh. i ive taken like up to 32 pills of off-brand benedryls each had 15mg DIPH.
IT WAS INSANE, and horrifying. i dont recommend this delierant state to ANYONE! gel like worms and snakes crawling over everything i focus on.
not knowing who i am where i am...

be quite honest my friends and i do that amount for fun we find it entertaining. but to be honest on my half when they were telling me the shit they saw i didnt believe them so they said "Have at it" Threw me a bottle i took 500 mg. the second i got it in my hand

needless to say i got in a fight with a pillow (Saw a face in the pillow)

a debate with a shaving cream can, Cup, & Sink

and then talked to my boyfriend under a car (he wasnt there)

I couldnt believe the next day that none of it was real. I hallucinated an entire party it was nuts

I have an experience I'll share. Once before going to school ( I went to a VERY laid back alternative school), I took somewhere around 10-20 (handful) of benadryl. By the time the bus had gotten from my house to the school (about an hour and a half), I got off the bus VERY disoriented. I proceeded to walk upstairs and sign in at the office, only problem was when i rounded the corner, i walked straight into a wall and crashed to the ground. I also played this off as fatigue, as there were teachers about. I went into the bathroom and looked in the mirror. my eyes looked like dinner plates. i decided to skip some classes and hang out outside in the pit, where we were supposed to smoke cigs. we also smoked weed and booted dope in there, but that's off topic. after about 20 minutes of standing in the pit, i began to start leaning backward involuntary. when a fall was imminent i crashed myself onto an old van seat and slept there the whole day. when i was awoken by a friend, school was over.

the whole day was a blur, and not exactly enjoyable. restless legs and unquenchable thirst really got me. go easy on these you wont regret it

I hate that shit. I took i THINK 8 pills back in freshman year before school because it sounded like fun... bad decision.

I could speak... I would whisper and think that i was yelling... I saw this hand/tree mural on the wall flick me off which was pretty funny but scary, and the slightest thing would make me jump.

Not good shit.

Diphenhydramine is something I used when I was 16 first getting into drugs. Wow it is a shitty drug, its an altered state but wow, it fucking sucks, everything about it. I had very bad after-effects for about 5 days after a trip, I thought I did some brain damage.
I also took 12 one night and drove home from a buddies house and I ran over my mailbox pulling into my driveway.
Learned my lessons from those years fortunately.

ive taken 32 off brand bendryl and i had to go to a highschool girls volleyball game. worst high and place it sucks!

and here recently ive taken ten and i bugged the fuck out i was talking to my girlfriend on the phone, it was very very wierd but no hallucinations until about 18-20 but the whole idea is stupid

My one and only diphen "trip" was a complete accident and a complete nightmare. Was many years ago when in a moment of "genius" I thought it would be a good idea to eat a pack of 'em to try to sleep through acute heroin and SSRI withdrawal. Had no idea they could do anything other than make you sleep and sneeze less. Learning curve was somewhat steep. There just aren't words to describe how hellish a night that was :|

lmao thats funny. I bet it really was hellish. I can relate. I have had some really bad drug trips of my own. Oh god! I was begging for mercy. lamo at heroin withdrawals and tripping balls on some weird ass hallucinogen. im going to be in withdrawals soon. Think I should eat a couple if i want to sleep?

I can't believe I cannot buy proper Benadryl OTC here! The Benadry we get here is the 'non-drowsy' kind, containing someting called Acrivastine, not Diphenhydramine. They are soooo crap. Not a single OTC antihistamine cantains it here, to my knowledge. I looove these babies. I bought them In Vancouver 2 weeks ago, as my friends told me they would help me through take off (of which I am terrified) on my long flight home. Well, they did! Took one and slept for practically the full 9 and a half hours. I bought them for that, and with Melatonin, to help me through my jetlag and help get my sleep cycles back in order. I do have a question, though. I suffer from FibroMyalgia Syndrome, and am on quite a lot of medication. I have Dihydrocodeine for pain, also Morphine sulphate, for if it gets really bed. Baclofen and Diazepam for muscle spasms, Celecoxib as an anti inflammatory, stemetil (prochlorperazine)an anti-emetic, as sometimes the painkillers make me vomit violently, Fexofanadine (an antihistamine), Lasoprazole to protect my stomach and one of the older anti-depressants called Imipramine, which has a sedative effect. My question is twofold: A)Will there be any danger to me from taking Benadryl in combination with the rest of my meds, plus Melatonin, which, I've read, is a hormone that occurs normally in the body (I don't take the anti-histamine at all, now, as I'm getting on better with the Benadryl), and B) How much is safe for me to take. I've sometimes taken 4 caplets in a night, together, if I'm really having problems sleeping, and C) Is this drug illegal in the UK? Can I ask my doctor to prescribe it? I did stock up on these while I was in Vancouver, so have enough to last me a few months. Even if my doctor can't prescribe them, can I get friends in the US to send them to me, or is that illegal, too?

Slightly O/T, I can't believe that our stupid country allows a tablet called Paramol , which contains 7.5mg dihydrocodeine, which I believe is one and a half times stronger than normal codeine, and 500mg of what you call APAP, I believe? to be sold OTC, but won't allow proper Benadryl OTC, just this soppy stuff masquerading under the same name, which is about as much use as a chocolate fire guard!

Sorry for the length of this post, I'm very new on here and just learning the ropes. Thanks for any advice in advance, I really appreciate it.

They do, its called 'nytol' u live in UK, trust me i bought loads i was hooked to them taking 10a night.

I went through a period of diphenhydramine abuse when I had no money for anything more expensive and little access to other drugs. I was very depressed at the time and would do anything to get out of my head for a while. It often made me feel like I was close to death. I didn't usually hallucinate a lot. When I did, they were usually disturbing, like hearing voices talking about me and seeing frightening insect like creatures, often eating each other. Occasionally I'd see a person or animal that wasn't really there, not realizing immediately that it was just a hallucination.

My mind felt dull for several months afterward. This could have been due to the severe depression I had at the time, but I think it was at least partially due to abusing dramamine. I'd be worried about the possibility of permanent damage from using it at high doses, and it has to be one of the most unpleasant feeling drugs you can use.

Not worth it at all, in my opinion. I'd recommend anyone who is curious about this drug to just stay away, or at least to only try it once at a high dose. If you are like me, you'll probably choose the second option, because you can't resist trying something you've never tried before. I doubt many with access to better drugs would want to repeat a high dose diphenhydramine trip.

So, me and a friend took like 10 25mg off brand Benadryl after taking 10 Coricidin earlier that day, and nothing really happened to me. My friend took 4 more and I took 12 more. It was.. Weird. So I did it again with another friend, she threw up the whole time, and I was like, tweaking out. Hah. I couldn't remember anything and I had to squint my eyes and turn my head and look down to see things like my cell phone or something on my computer.
After awhile I couldn't even see it anymore. I kept thinking people were having a conversation, and after awhile I just didn't want to be high anymore.

The next day the first friend and I did it again, and the same thing happened to me as last time, my friend got sick. I smoked pot too so everything was crazy that night. I'm still all weird feeling, I don't like it anymore and DON'T plan to do it again, haha. That was just like, two days ago I think. I found this site trying to find info on diphenhydramine and why I'm feeling the way I am, I'm not worried anymore.

I'm going to stick to pot and dex.
Sorry for the long post, ha.

The feeling from benadryl isn't even a high. The sickest thing is, the more stark and forceful the language used to describe just how unpleasant the come-up and the peak and the come-down are, the more a certain class of drug user (aka, me in high school, and all those other "sobriety sucks" tunnel-visioned morons like me) will be drawn to at least try it.