• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Extracting Safrole from Sassafras and/or Nutmeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor__Anonymous

Bluelighter
Please don't flame me, I don't eat nutmeg to get high or anything, I just want to know how to extract the safrole from either sassafras or nutmeg. I tried safrole once, and I liked it a lot. I did about 2.5 doses in a night, and it was good short-lived fun.

^Haha, I noticed that too

Anyways, a simple 'search engine' search will result with many ways to extract it from oils to root. I'm not a big chem wiz, so I don't want to post one that I am uncertain of the safety/effectiveness.

How to make sassafras tea, a Southern delicacy:

Chop up sassfras roots and boil them in water over your stove for 30 minutes.
Separate the wood and other by products by decantation and or filtering with coffee filters, for example. Serve hot, with sugar if desired.

There is nothing involving MD(x)A production going on here. If you want to do that, get a LARGE still (warning: illegal) and a LARGE volume of wild growing sassafras tree root bark samples and follow the procedure known as "steam distillation" to obtain safrole (1-allyl-3,4-methlyenedioxybenzene).

Safrole --> MDA
Safrole --> MDMA
Safrole --> MDEA

The last three interconversions are technical and difficult for most. They involve glassware and hard to obtain / suspicious smells and chemicals and are punishable by draconian measures when and or if detected by the authorities.

i really am not trying to cook up mdma or whatnot. swim actually hasn't done ecstasy. swim's only done safrole, because it was natural and it was around town. i don't care too much for most chemicals, so you won't ever see me post how to synthesize something or whatever. and from what i know, im not positive, but i think that safrole is only listed as a possible analog, and while im not sure whether it's approved for human consumption or not, i do know that it's not illegal.

^I didin't think you were trying to synthesize mdxx, but the others did.

Safrole containing concoctions are not allowed to be sold in stores. The Uncle Pappy's mix or whatever is like all forms of commercially available root beer (A&W, Barq's, Stewart's) in the US since 1968 or what not totally and SYNTHETICALLY flavored and contains no all-natural safrole.

However, sassafras trees grow wild in the Southeastern US and their roots are far from illegal. When the government found out c.1968 that the counterculture (or whoever) was synthesizing MDA from safrole, they had their puppet FDA scientists declare safrole a possible or known carcinogen, although the evidence for this is scant.

^ I thought rubbing it HARD into the legs was the preferred insane way of dosing a known carcinogen, safrole. 8(

"Food and Drug Administration (FDA) barred the use of safrole after it was shown to be mildly carcinogenic. Today, safrole is also banned for use in soap and perfumes by IFRA."

"It is nearly impossible to obtain large quantities of safrole and/or sassafras oil without arousing the suspicion of law enforcement, as Safrole is currently a List I Chemical. Moreover, safrole is listed as a Table I precursor under the United Nations Convention Against Illicit Traffic in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances."

List I Chemical: These chemicals are designated as those that are used in the manufacture of the controlled substances and are important to the manufacture of the substances.

"Safrole is probably not psychoactive...it is doubtful that it alone can account for the activity." - Erowid

"SWIM" seems to have a affinity for the placebo effect, or "SWIM" stumbled onto something. Anyway, like I said in the previous post try a search engine, it gave me a lot of results.

Steam distillation.

But as a general rule of thumb, you do not want to concentrate and deliberately consume essential oils. Many of them can cause problems.

Its conceivable you purchased drugs from someone uninformed about the substances they had, and slang furthered this. Safrole is a preferred precursor chemical to MDMA and MDA, and someone may have gotten something mixed up down the line.

Safrole is an oil anyway. You weren't given an oil were you?
I highly recommend against consuming it.

i dont care whether any of you approve or believe that i consumed safrole. all i know is, i haven't done ecstasy, and i doubt they were uninformed, because they called it sasafras, although it wasn't the actual sassafras root or anything. it was a powder, and it costed about 10 to 15 a dose. you put it in a napkin square, and parachute. i did 2.5 doses, and i know i didn't get placebo effect from it, considering it made me like a kid, and my pupils were dilated as fuck. so this drug swim consumed was either safrole, or the people were unknowing, and it was just pure mdma.

Safrole isn't psychoactive (alone), so I don't what to tell you. Secondly did you consume this, or did "SWIM"? Your story seems to contradict to me, I don't believe any of this personally.

Doctor__Anonymous said:
i dont care whether any of you approve or believe that i consumed safrole.
Doctor__Anonymous said:
i did 2.5 doses, and i know i didn't get placebo effect from it, considering it made me like a kid, and my pupils were dilated as fuck.
Doctor__Anonymous said:
so this drug swim consumed was either safrole, or the people were unknowing, and it was just pure mdma.

*sigh* please stop trying to hide your motives - you are very transparent.

Why the hell would you want to extract saffrole from sassafras (let alone, nutmeg), which as has been mentioned needs intricate steam distillation, when you could just eat sassafras (or, god forbid, nutmeg)?

Anonymous, everything you've said makes me believe that the powder consumed was MDMA aka ecstasy. The reason I say this is:

1. It made you like a kid. That's what MDMA did to me. I was 6 years old again, albeit for only 45 minutes ::sigh:: :)
2. Dilated pupils.
3. Safrole is an oil at room temperature. It also irritates the skin and mucous membranes and I can't imagine anyone taking it orally who would not later comment on the BURN.

As an aside, nutmeg doesn't contain much safrole at all. In fact, it contains more myristicin, a precursor for MMDA. Also, there wouldn't be much point in steam distilling powdered nutmeg since Oil of Nutmeg (as well as Oil of Mace) can be purchased from various vendors online.

^No Source Discussions.

Do you silly white American's put ground up nutmeg on your turkey and dressing?
OMFW! You're all gonna die!

You don't EAT sassafras b/c it is a F-ing piece of WOOD.
Safrole (from sassafras root bark) is used as a FLAVORING in a certain type of TEA in certain parts of the world (namely, the area traditionally inhabited by the Cherokee Nation).

Ignorance is not bliss. It is a bitch.

Last edited:
thanks tobala. you gave me an excellent response, as opposed to all the other people who wonderfully "helped" me by calling me a liar and what not, and saying my story was full of holes. i guess what i ate was just mdma, your exactly right.

^you were called a liar because your story WAS full of holes. you mistook mdma for safrole, and asked the good folks of this forum a question about how to make drugs. If making drugs wasn't your intention than you just asked the wrong question in the wrong place.

could of been a mistake, cos i would think if the person is a chemist and has a guide to make MDMA, they would know how to or know how to find a guide to extract safrole.

on the note that safrole is an oil, a while ago i had access to a yellow to brown wet mdma crystals, there were clear crystals formed but when it came in a baggie, it was also wet and gluggy. However leaving it out for a small while to let it dry would let you crush the crystals into a fine white powder. But I always wondered if the wetness was some sort of impurity related to MDP2P or safrole. This MDMA was very sit-down material, but was definitely not MDEA (as I'm a bit allergic to this chemical, it makes me not breathe). Pill Testers showed the substance was either MDEA or MDMA, not MDA. Anyway, the reason I wondred this is because on the peak, even on only 100mg you were forced to sit down and there were visual disturbances that I haven't had while on any type of MD really. While around the same time I had access to light brown dry MDMA rocks, that were potent and clean, but it didn't matter how much you took, you were really buzzing and energetic, and never munted/floored.

I don't think there was ever a reason to call someone a liar. It seems that someone new to the world of MDM-x thought that the powder they consumed was called "safrole," and further thought that this could be directly extracted from nutmeg or sassafras.

No reason to castigate or make accusations. I myself apologize to Anonymous for my initial sarcastic remark. Somehow the image of snorting safrole made me smile. :)

Anonymous, in any case welcome to the magical world of MD-x and MDM-x materials! They are most wonderful and may you have many happy explorations with them. Be warned however, that the first few experiences (in my case, just the first :( ) are often the best, so make the most of them!

Doctor__Anonymous said:
i dont care whether any of you approve or believe that i consumed safrole. all i know is, i haven't done ecstasy, and i doubt they were uninformed, because they called it sasafras, although it wasn't the actual sassafras root or anything. it was a powder, and it costed about 10 to 15 a dose. you put it in a napkin square, and parachute. i did 2.5 doses, and i know i didn't get placebo effect from it, considering it made me like a kid, and my pupils were dilated as fuck. so this drug swim consumed was either safrole, or the people were unknowing, and it was just pure mdma.

what u had was mdma or the like aka MOLLY. It was going around my town as sasafras as well, then i had to straighten people out and tell them that eating just sas wouldnt do that to u, its mdma. u can not get high from sasafras or safrole oil, they are only precursors to what makes mdma, mda, and all the others like it

Status
Not open for further replies.