• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Peruvian Torch Powder

maxcamel said:
So we did an extraction...small one...got brown residue...scraped it..put it in a capsule and the capsule melted...lol.
Any ideas?

If I were you, I would have put it in my rectum, not a capsul.

And I am 100% serious. When I finally find enough time to try Cactus/mescaline, this will be the way I take it.

I wasn't sure if I should start another thread, so I didn't. My question is this:

How would one go about using powdered peruvian torch incense for its intended purpose? That is, as incense?

I'm not going to go through the trouble (?) of finding a source which verifies the effect of smoking mescaline. Though I know (from everyting I've read) that natives smoke it traditionally (as well as eat, and inhale thorugh vaporization in a sweat lodge). And I've smoked it and experienced quite a powerful effect, on numerous occsions, without the use of other psychoactives.

And no, you do not need to smoke 30 g. just to get a psychedelic experience. I can see the reasoning, but bear in mind when you smoke something it processes through your system dramatically faster than when you eat it. Try eating one hit worth of cannabis and see how noticable the psychoactivity is compared to smoking one hit.

For most substances, smoking is the second fastest means of ingestion, after injection.

In response to Trogdor, just light a few grams of it on fire and sit next to it while meditating. Or light a few grams of it on fire while enclosed in a small area....lol.

The smell and taste of burned cactus is not as harsh as one would think.

As pointed out before, mescaline is a pretty sturdy molecule - so I wouldn't be surprised if it were smokable.

And how does one properly 'light a few grams on fire'? I haven't actually got any, I'm just curious. Does it readily burn? Do you just put it on some sort of fireproof dish and apply flame directly to the edge of the powder? Can you use a rolling paper to roll up a stick of incense and use it like a standard stick of modern incense? Or do you have to apply the powder to a hot coal, like what a hookah uses? Please elaborate...

The powder I had was very finely-ground, and would very readily burn. I've never tried rolling some and burning it, though me and friends discussed the technique and figured it would work. The coal technique would work I'm sure, though I've never tried it. It would be interesting to use one of those oil & candle types of incense, and add the cactus powder to the oil. This would vaporize the cactus.

A friend of mine grew up on a Native American reservation. A peyote practicing reservation, at that. He told me that the most common way that they used peyote on the reservation was to set the peyote (not sure if dried or fresh, likely fresh) on a heated stone in a sweat lodge. Then to sit next to it and sweat for the heavy part of the experience, he was saying like 8-12 hours i think. Seems like that would be an interesting technique to try some time.

Going back to the link I posted earlier, from Erowid, would it cause trouble to prepare several (like three) servings of tea at once? I'm planning on using 1.5oz of powder per serving.

Just to clarify, should I put it on the lowest possible heat when doing the step that requires two to four hours? I don't want to heat it up too much and destroy the alkaloids. :(

Thanks for all the help, everyone.

I really wish ethnobotanical vendors would stop selling prepared cactus tissue. It is just begging for tricho cacti to be added to the controlled substance list for the sake of making a buck. Its sad.

never heard of any Indians smoking buttons..NEVER...
Having read a fair number of books relating to shamanism, I must agree with this. Does anyone have a source for this information besides hearsay ("this guy told me...")?

One of my best friends was a teacher on a Navajo reservation for several years, and participated in many peyote ceremonies. They ate the raw cactus, tea, boiled down residue, but they certainly never smoked it.

And I'm definitely with egor on this, please grow your own cactus and stop supporting vendors who are clearly breaking the law and will eventually cause the criminalization of the Trichocereus genus

kakti said:
And I'm definitely with egor on this, please grow your own cactus and stop supporting vendors who are clearly breaking the law and will eventually cause the criminalization of the Trichocereus genus

So is it possible to head over to the local greenhouse/plant store and pick up Peruvian Torch to cultivate at home?

I'm obviously somewhat on the line of source discussion, but this should be a general enough inquiry.

Used to be that you could get San Pedro at most good nurseries. Now some nurseries wont sell them though, now that they figured out what some people are doing with them. That having been said, San Pedro is still a popular ornamental cactus. Peruvian Torch is a bit harder to find as it's not as popular due to its huge sharp spines. When all else fails, buy some seeds online, they're readily available and 100% legal.

Trogdor said:
I wasn't sure if I should start another thread, so I didn't. My question is this:

How would one go about using powdered peruvian torch incense for its intended purpose? That is, as incense?

you mean people actually do that8(

Nothing really that appealing about burning cacti, I believe this is said as an attempt to avoid conflict.Look at how much some of the higher potency salvia extracts go for, pretty expensive for some incense if you ask me.

the traditional smoking may be hear-say. while not traditional-tribal use, 'peyote and other psychoactive cacti' by adam gottlieb cites that some people enjoy the effects of smoking peyote. so the method is not unheard of.

what i said about vaporizing the cactus in a sweat lodge comes from someone who was on a reservation for 18 years in new mexico. i definitely trust his information on the practice. what i've read about traditional use says most people did eat the cactus or make a tea. however, apparently at least some modern native american use does not eat it.

when i talked to him about eating it, he was saying i'd be better off doing the sweat lodge technique.

You can still get san pedro at a national home improvement chain.
Melange, If you do not prepare the cactus your self, the effect just isnt the same.

Personally, I just ground the cactus material into a fine powder and made an emulsion with orange juice and pounded it all back as quickly as humanly possible. It wasn't delicious, but oddly enough, it wasn't vile tasting. An hour and a half later, I was in the Mesca-zone.

For the record, orange juice is the only thing I have found that makes potent trichocereus remotely palatable.