PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Antipsychotics and LSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

MR Candyslut

Greenlighter
I am not sure if this is the most appropriate forum to post this in, but given there does seem to be so much devotion to psychiatric drug interactions in this forum, i thought it might be. I am just wanting to know of any possible interactions between antipsychotics (Largactil) and LSD?

I checked the Sticky but all it does is list what type of antipyschotic is out there! Any help would be appreciated.

Hope this is the right place, but we don't cover interactions with lsd or any psychedelics. I thought this forum was best suited to help him get a better way of going about this situation.

Antipsychotics are given to people to end the trip.. it knocks you out of the experiance and puts you out for a few hours.. i wouldn't take any pharms before ingesting the super cool LSD

^true that. i used to take risperdal(sp) and taking that, even 2 mgs in the middle of a 7 hit peak would leave me sober in 30-45 minutes. felt like a life saver a few times.

Yeah I heard this was the case - my friend is most concerned about her trip lasting too long ( i think she is just being paranoid) and I know she has a stock of largactil. I just wanted to check to make sure they were not any known adverse interactions that others have heard of before i suggested them to her.

But if all they should do is knock her out then I am sure this will give her some level of comfort :)

yeah.. if she feels that she cant take the trip anymore she can eat the "trip enders" and pass the fuck out

I really want to try to get my hands on a few if I continue my tripping.

I had a horrendous 2c-b experience at 20mg that made me wishing I had something to stop it. At some point I just became overstimulated and started losing my grip completely. I was desperately searching for some sort of "anchor"--I listened to music, drank some water, ate some food, laid down with my dog, smoked a cigarette, but nothing worked. It seems like every new thing I did made me feel better for about 10 seconds and then I'd hit that negative headspace and start losing my wits again. This resulted in me pacing around for 2 hours from one activity to the next over and over again like a madman.

It's suprising though, I thought 2c-b was supposed to be mild and easy to manage. :( However, it was my first phenethylamine--maybe I'm extra-sensitivie to them.

Antipsychotics are antagonists on a variety of dopamine and serotonin receptors. You will not be able to trip at all on most, if not all, antipsychotics.

Aidan of TCC said:
You will not be able to trip at all on most, if not all, antipsychotics.

I can personally vouch that this is true.

On my last LSD trip, I consumed 1200 mg of Seroquel (quetiapine fumarate) after I started to freak out; two hours later.....no more trip. Really saved my ass.

Perhaps you should also consider why your friend has been given a script for an anti-psychotic?
If it's to deal with anxiety, paranoia, depression or some other mental illness, for harm reduction/prevention's sake, I wouldn't recommend taking a psychedelic, especially one as powerful as LSD.

Psychedelics can bring out latent mental issues, as well as make current ones worse. If your friend is having anxiety over the duration, maybe she isn't ready yet?
As far as drugs go, with LSD you buckle yourself in for a good long trip.

Fact is, we don't know what the interactions between the two will be. Everyone's brain is wired in its own unique way, and with little or no studies done on the combination, all we can do is guess.

You should try talking about all the effects with your friend, head over to Erowid; read the basics, read some trip reports. Make sure that she has a good base to know what to (possibly) expect.
It should help ease her anxieties. Share your own experiences, start off with lower doses, make sure that you won't be too high to deal with any possible "freak outs", do it in a good environment.

A little nervousness is normal, but it shouldn't be stronger than the excitement and anticipation. It's a mood enhancer, so any negative emotions can be multiplied.

Sorry if I seem a bit negative, but this site is for harm reduction.

those of you that had anti-psychotics... did it put you in a weird state of mind? like unpleasant? i heard it can do that and also maybe like (if you have heaps) make you unable to move and sort of stuck inside your head with no escape. Benzo's i've heard are better. but if you cant get them...

my friend fed me a Seroquel during my first complete freak-out. i don't remember what happened exactly, but according to them i went from violent to passed the fuck out in 10 minutes. "i" wasn't really at home to tell you how the drug "felt". so i would say these things are really a last-resort type of thing for a situation that was caused by carelessness or downright stupidity like mine regarding drug combinations or dose.

that being said, would Seroquel or the like be something to have on hand in case of serotonin syndrome? or would it be more dangerous to try to self-medicate that kind of situation rather than call a professional EMT...

that being said, would Seroquel or the like be something to have on hand in case of serotonin syndrome?

You wouldn't want to do that. Seroquel also works on serotonin, so it would actually make the serotonin syndrome worse.

I developed serotonin syndrome symptoms when my doc prescribed me a Zoloft-Seroquel combo. One of my symptoms was migraine headaches, and the Imitrex prescribed to treat the migraines pushed me into full blown serotonin syndrome -- both the Seroquel and Imitrex potentiated the effects of the Zoloft. Be careful with drug cocktails, and know the symptoms of serotonin syndrome.

The following are some of the products known to be associated with serotonin syndrome:

Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs)
Tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs)
Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (Zoloft, Prozac, Paxil, Lexapro, Celexa)
Venlafaxine (Effexor)
Trazodone (Desyrel)
Nefazodone (Serzone)
Meperidine (Demerol)
Dextromethorphan (Cold Remedies, DXM)
Chlorpheniramine
Sumatriptan (Imitrex)
Atypical antipsychotic (Zyprexa, Risperdal, Seroquel)
L-dopa
Meridia
Lithium
Valproic acid (Depakene)
Linezolid (Zyvox)
St John's Wort
Ginkgo Biloba

(from http://www.bestsyndication.com/?q=0...nt-medications-with-children-bad-outcomes.htm)

The interaction will make you sober. I have taken seroquel to end a trip before and worked great.

Honestly it's usually enough just knowing you have something that can "kill your trip", for me anyways.

I got into a pretty serious 2C-E trip once. About 3hrs in I was beginning that slow spiral down into bad-energy-town but simply knowing that I could end it reasonably quickly was enough to comfort me and let me relax and let the trip just take me.

As is said, it will prevent you from tripping at best, at worst there might be an unexpected interaction. Just don't try it.

Anti-psychotics are occasionally used to abort a trip, but this should only be done as a measure of last resort, when it is evident that a person poses a threat to himself or others... whether physically or psychologically. A difficult experience is not enough, just ride that out. Or consider a benzo if you must.

answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.