• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Methylphenidate vs Dexamphetamine

I can only compare Methylphenidate to Adderall, as I have never had access to pure dextamphetamine....

For me, Ritalin is a great study aid for about 2-3 hours tops. I'm talking about the instant release kind, of course. I get my work done and feel pretty good, and the comedown isn't bad at all. However, if I crush Ritalin up and rail it, doses as low as 30mg (no tolerance) can have horrible comedowns involving near panic-attacks and severe anxiety. For this reason, I will never rail Ritalin again. The best part about instant release Ritalin is that I can easily get to sleep within 4-5 hours after taking it.

Adderall is a completely different story. I have tried both IR Adderall and Adderall XR and both make me achieve a type of focus completely unlike Ritalin. It provides some euphoria and sense of well-being, although after I take it I often find myself getting off-task and researching trivial information unrelated to my work. However, I do become extremely nit-picky and perfectionistic in whatever I am doing and nothing works better for pulling all-nighters. Unfortunately, the comedown is far worse than Ritalin for me and I desperately need some benzos or Ambien to fend off the anxiety and insomnia that is destined to follow.

Note: I am not diagnosed with ADD/ADHD and take Ritalin and Adderall mostylu as a means to motivate myself to get homework done and study for exams. Only very occasionally do I use either substance recreationally.

progmafia said:
In regards to the threads topic, I prefer methylphenidate. I've experimented with nootropics from time to time in the past. I've always received them second hand as I've never been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD. The times I have used them were all generally around the end of the semester to help keep me focused on studying for finals.

What I liked about the methylphenidate compared to an amphetamine based nootropic

Ummm.. correct me if im wrong but adderal and methyl are not considered nootropics are they?

ballsaq said:
LOL. Dexedrine and Adderall are the exact same thing bro. erowid.org

No they are not, erowid.org.

Bagochina: At the height of my use, I was prescribed 45mg Dexedrine IR (plus 30mg ER, which I never bothered with). To my knowledge (and to the Doctor's knowledge, it seems), there is no Dextrostat 10mg in Canada. So, the label on my bottle said, "TAKE 7 PILLS, 3 TIMES A DAY AS NEEDED". It was hillarious. (Of course, when you're addicted you never follow directions, and my last dose before stopping was 12 pills. For convenience, I'd dissolve them and take them rectally.)

It wasn't pretty :|

I personally tried Adderall only once a long time ago, and found it more effective than dex (or meth for that matter - I find methamphetamine to be the most useless) in terms of motivation, however it had too many physical side-effects at just 20mg, so I don't think it is healthy for high-dose use.

Not that any amphetamine is healthy.

Dexies for sure.... wayyyy wayy better. maybe a lil combo would work nice for you.

pkt said:
You dont grind your teeth on amps? i guess its not normal then 8)

Just because uppers can cause trisma and bruxism doesn't make it so for every user. drugs affect everyone differently bro. :)

Open Ur Eyes said:
Ummm.. correct me if im wrong but adderal and methyl are not considered nootropics are they?

Nootropics, in layman's terms, are smart drugs or study drugs. They improve cognitive ability. Since both amphetamines and methylphenidate cause increased focus and concentration, among other things, they are nootropics by definition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nootropic :)

progmafia said:
^^ ugh. silly generalizations.
progmafia said:
Just because uppers can cause trisma and bruxism doesn't make it so for every user. drugs affect everyone differently bro. :)

There are definite very common effects of amphetamines, teeth grinding/jaw clenching IS one.

there both cheap and gross..i abused ritalin alot when i was a kid, then moved on to amphetamines for a stronger high...id say there both cool in there own way..ritalin being more like cocaine, u can sleep later on that night...while with amphetamines sleep is usally out of the question,

progmafia said:
Nootropics, in layman's terms, are smart drugs or study drugs. They improve cognitive ability. Since both amphetamines and methylphenidate cause increased focus and concentration, among other things, they are nootropics by definition.

Hmm.. I was under the impression that a Nootropic is also something that has to have significant evidence of being non-toxic?

In my extremely limited experience I did not get any noteworthy effects from either. A drug needs to hit me in the face before I really take any notice to it. Otherwise I'll think it's placebo, even if it isn't.

Back in college people took them all the time but I never did because, having terrible insomnia, I never needed them.

I hate stimulants of any sort too.

The topic of injecting ritalin has always interested me when it came up on these boards though.

I was just prescribed today on Concerta , and after reading the thoughts expressed here I am glad the doc prescribed me to that and switched me off the wellbutrin xl.

^^^It's personal preference really. Some people really love Lincoln's, other's dont :\

This is the same as a cocaine vs. methamphetamine discussion.

ritalin is inferior from a recreational standpoint according to the vast majority. Check the poll on favorite stimulant....

Amphetamine may be a better high, it fucks with your head. Methylphenidate's comedown is much shorter and easier. Amphetamine is a less crazy version of meth, but that doesn't make it good. Personally I can't handle it. The paranoia and depression on the comedown are 10x as worse as methylphenidate. I have many friends that completely lost it due to speed use(not the pharmaceutical grade stuff, but still) and still are missing a couple of screws in their head months after their last use.

Dexamphetamines pwn the shit out of methylphenidate. That's my honest opinion on the subject.

^Thats cause Dex is a sulphate, Methyl is a hcl-burns^

dex is smoother-no doubt, but shooting, plugging, snorting methylphenidate sure hits sharp and fast, while Dex is longer on the come-up and slower on the come down. Dex heads describe it as 'never enought' even when your swimming in it-faster, faster, more more, theres a strong compulsion to continue consuming IR Dex with Dex heads, where many are taken at once every few hours, to 'keep it going', withdrawal results in crashing, with depression and a bordom with every aspect of life, when not sleeping.