Bluelight

Thread: Guide to Antibiotics and MDMA

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Guide to Antibiotics and MDMA 
    Germany mostly, US sometimes, Australia every now and then
    Arrow
    I'm currently taking the antibiotic ________ , and I want to take MDMA -- is this safe?

If you are sick enough to be taking an antibiotic, there is a good chance that you aren't healthy enough to take MDMA. MDMA supresses the immune system, making it easier to catch viruses and infections. Thus, if you are trying to fight an infection, and you take MDMA, there is a good chance that it will take you longer to recover from your infection. For this reason, it is strongly recommended that you wait until you are in better health before taking MDMA.
    There are certain cases, however, in which the antibiotic is not being taken for reasons of poor health. For example, many people take doxycycline daily for acne. In a case like this, taking MDMA will not significantly affect the user's overall health.
    If you do decide to roll, and there is no reaction between your antibiotic and MDMA (as per the lists below), then it is extremely important that you continue to take your antibiotic exactly as directed by your doctor. If you decide to stop taking your antibiotic for a day or so (because you want to roll, and your antibiotic interacts with MDMA), then make sure that you finish taking all your antibiotics after you roll.

Should I be worried about any interactions between my antibiotic and MDMA?

Most antibiotics are theoretically safe to combine with MDMA. I say 'theoretically' because although there are no forseeable interactions, there has been no medical research on the combination of MDMA and antibiotics.
    There are a number of people who have rolled safely on antibiotics, and to date a bad interaction between an antibiotic and MDMA has never been reported. However, this does not guarantee that you won't have an interaction, so keep this in mind.

The following antibiotics should be, theoretically, safe to combine with MDMA (note that these are NOT brand names, but rather the chemical names):

azithromycin
    bacitracin
    cephalosporin, and forms of (cefepime, cephalexin)
    ciprofloxacin
    flucloxacillin
    flucytosine
    griseofulvin
    isoniazid (used to treat TB)
    minocycline*
    moxifloxacin
    neomycin
    nitrofurantoin (but this may cause oxidative stress and so MDMA would be best avoided)
    penicillin
    polymyxin
    streptomycin
    sulfamethoxazole
    trimethoprim

The following antibiotics have the potential to be dangerous, because they inhibit one of the enzymes (CYP34A) that breaks down MDMA. Thus, you should be cautious (consider taking a 1/2 dose of MDMA) if you are taking one of these antibiotics. Antibiotics with a (*) indicate that people have rolled on this antibiotic safely -- though it is still recommended that you be careful with these.

amoxicillin *
    clarithromycin
    doxycycline (common acne med) *
    erythromycin
    ketoconazole* (but person experienced a very strong, long roll - proceed with caution!)
    lansoprazole
    primaquine
    tetracycline*
    troleandomycin

Please note that this is NOT a complete list of all antibiotics -- if you are taking an antibiotic that is not on this list, PLEASE make a post in the Health Q&A Forum so that your antibiotic can be researched.

References:
    www.pubmed.com
    www.rxlist.com
    www.bluelight.ru, Health Forum and Archive
    Last edited by fairnymph; 09-12-2006 at 02:57.

2. Collapse Details

Star
    *golf clap for fairnymph*

3. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Talking
    I was on and off Flufuxacilalin (sp?) (UK) for about a year because of a toe problem and aside from the infection problems I suffered after use I can say that it was safe with;
    mdma,
    speed,
    5-meo-dipt
    amt
    shrooms
    acid
    ghb
    cannabis
    dmt
    5-meo-dmt
    salvia.

4. Collapse Details

Arrow
    ^^^
    Thanks! I'll read up on it and add it to the list.
    [ 02 December 2002: Message edited by: fairnymph ]

5. Collapse Details

Thumbs down
    i didnt know that any antibiotics were enzyme inibitors! If so i wouldnt have taken MDMA with amoxicillin (875mg 3 hours prior to be exact!).. Must not be too much of an inhibitor as i took somewhere around 120mg MDMA that night and it only lasted the usual 4 hours... Either way be careful!!!

6. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    I just finished a course of amoxicillin before i rolled one night several months ago, i think it may have had some effect as i ended up rolling for 8-9 hours.
    But it was apparently a very good pill anyways, several experienced friends took it on the same night and said they felt it very strongly, they just didnt keep going as long as i did. But then I have an extremely low MDMA tolerance (i only ever take halves and have one month breaks or more) so that may have been the reason im not 100% sure

7. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    I've read all the antibiotic and ecstasy threads but if someone has any comments specifically about or could research about 'nitrofurantoin' and 'sulfamethoxazole' and 'trimethoprim' those aren't the brand names by the way, just the chemical ones. thanks

8. Collapse Details

Arrow
    Nitrofurantoin doesn't inhibit any enzymes as far as I could tell, but it does have some toxic effects (in particular, it results in oxidative stress on the body) that would probably not be great to combine with MDMA. I would be cautious about such a combination (if you do choose to do it, do a low dose of MDMA, like half a pill).
    Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim don't inhibit any ezymes related to MDMA metabolism. These should be safe to combine with MDMA.

9. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    i rolled once while taking amoxicillin, and my body didnt take the MDMA very well. i had SEVER hallucinations and all wicked kinda freak outs

10. Collapse Details

11. Collapse Details

Ketoconazole is not safe to take with MDMA... it is so hard on the liver without the mdma. Ketoconazole has been known to cause hepatic toxicity and has lead to death in certain cases.

12. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Binghamton NY for college, Suffern NY otherwise
    Ive been taking the antibiotic minocycline for acne, and have rolled 3 or 4 times since starting the medication. It has not caused an interaction. Keep it safe.
    Peace,
    Matty

13. Collapse Details

*BUMP*

I am currently on Amoxycillin (only started today), and had a flu/infection for bout 4 days... I really wanna roll Sunday night.. So I'll probably just go off them for that day. see how it goes.. WIll have lots of friends arouind me if anything goes uncomfortable. Anyway, thanks for this FAQ fairnymph and BL!.. it's great!

14. Collapse Details

wow thx for that.. That really clears a lot of stuff up.
    Im currently on Amoxycillin, each tablet contains 500 mg (as amoxycillin trihydrate) and Clavulanic acid 125 ml (as potassium clavulanate)
    if anybody could clear up that stuff about trihydrate and clavulanic acid and stuff that would be great.. i was planning on having a heaps big nite new years eve but it looks as though i mite have to go a lil easy.. hehe thx in advance.

15. Collapse Details

Hello! I read the above guide for antibiotics and MDMA. I've been taking the antibiotic, clarithromycin for the past 2 days for bronchitis. I noticed that it is on the potentially dangerous combination list with MDMA. I was wondering how safe it would be if I stop taking it today and tomorrow if I wanted to drop tomorrow night? Any input or help would be most appreciated.

16. Collapse Details

^^
    I wouldn't recommend taking any mdxx until you're completely better and have finished the course of anti biotics. Mainly because taking pills and so on interferes with your body's ability to fight infection, and also due to the fact that 2-3 days worth of anti biotic therapy usually has only just begun to effectively attack the bug that's got you sick. It could promote resistant bacteria if you stop your treatment at this stage.

If you are going to do this anyway you should stop taking the antibiotic, 2 - 4 doses before you take mdxx (clarithromycin is usually dosed at 12 hour intervals) and also take it easy by taking less than you normally would (ie 0.5 pill if you normally start with 1) and adjust from there if needed.

17. Collapse Details

wow!! thanks a lot for this thread!
    I'm 3 days into a 5 day course of amoxycillin for tonsillitus. It's making me feel a bit nauseous and dry mouthed on its own, and i've just read it doesn't react well with MDMA, so no rolling for me this weekend. Can't be bothered with the risk, i'd probably puke lots and just feel really ill, have a shit time!
    I'm still pissed off though cos i'm feeling almost 100% better but I know I have to finish the course to make sure the infection in my throat is completely dead!!
    Ah well, i'll have a quiet and sober weekend, rent a film, treat myself to a pizza, do some hardcore reading! Probably good to have a little detox anyway since I did coke last weekend, and 2 beans the weekend before!
    It jsut means it'll be all the better next weekend

And yeah, i agree you should definately make this into a FAQ, it would defiantely be a very valuable source of information, because I really didn't expect that some anti-biotics are potentially dangerous in combination with MDMA.
    Top marks

18. Collapse Details

i took 4 out of 10 doses of moxifloxacin HCl for strep and stopped taking it 3 days ago due to an allergic reaction. i was put on azithromycin which i will be finished taking on tuesday. i was hoping to be able to roll on my birthday (wednesday) but i haven't been able to find any information on moxifloxacin and mdma.. will it be safe for me to roll? if i still have hives then, i won't even try...

19. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    ^^ The best thing is not use. You are still a bit recovering from your strep on wednesday, but I think it will turn out ok if you use some.
    Just use less then you regularly do.
    Good luck with your strep.

20. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    I roll with Tetracycline just fine.

21. Collapse Details

damn
    i wish i wouldve known this...

i am on an antibiotic, or was, for a period of a week. I rolled twice, and tripped once throughout this time...

it was for an ear infection.. and .. hmm.. well the infection isn't really gone

i geuss it's time to take another round!

22. Collapse Details

i have been taking doxycycline for about two months. 100 mgs once a day. i'm wondering what the BEST period of time to wait after stopping the antibiotic would be. i've heard 2 days, i've heard 4 days, etc. also, would the amount, intervals (24 hours) and all that make a difference in determining how long to stop for? just need to know. thanks

23. Collapse Details

any answers?

i'm jus considering stopping 3 days before. my guess is that my using doxycycline for months on end (as opposed to 10 days for an infection) that i should stay of the doxy longer. dunno. also, the pill is mda, if that makes a difference.

24. Collapse Details

Rxlist.com says that the clearance rate of doxycycline is about 40% in 72 hours in persons with normal kidney function. It is unclear as to whether this refers to single dose, continuous dose or both. However, based on this, I would guess that a period closer to a week would be better in terms of having cleared the doxy. However long you stay off the doxy. before taking the mdxx I would still recommend you proceed with smaller amounts than you are used to.. remember you can always increase your dose, but once it's in, you can't take it out.

25. Collapse Details

The following antibiotics have the potential to be dangerous, because they inhibit one of the enzymes (CYP34A) that breaks down MDMA.
    Could this mean there would be a delayed onset of effects from the MDMA while also taking antibiotics?

I have taken 2 pills while on doxycycline, and had a very good roll.

Although admittedly, it took much longer to shake off my mild bronchitis/cough, which the antibiotic was prescribed for.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast