• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Diphenhydramine HCL vs Doxylamine Succinate

i hate doxy, it makes me go psychotic and keeps me awake at small and large doses... so i would go for the diphen even tho its more expensive

I have read a thread about it and it turns out it burns like fire. I guess you can still try but, don't say I didn't warn you.

Agreed
Also, from what I've read, doxylamine supposedly causes much more sedation than diphenhydramine. Contrary to that claim, I find diphenhydramine gives me more sedation.

Also, in doses higher than 75mg of diphenhydramine, I experience an odd sensation. It feels almost like a loogie is stuck in the back of my throat. Has anyone else encountered this odd side effect? It'd be great to know if there was a way to combat this very annoying side effect.

Johnny blue...love the avatar. Shunsui Kyōraku is definitely one of my favorite characters.

Last edited:
"Intranasal bioavailability was greater than that of oral doxylamine succinate (70.8 vs 24.7%). The intranasal and oral routes of administration differed significantly from the intravenous route of administration. Peak plasma concentration (C(max)) was 887.6 ng/ml (S.D. 74.4), 281.4 ng/ml (S.D. 24.6) and 1296.4 ng/ml (S.D. 388.9) for the intranasal, oral and intravenous routes, respectively. The time to achieve C(max) for the intranasal route (t(max)=0.5 h)
was faster than for the oral route (t(max)=1.5 h), but no statistically significant differences between the C(max) values were found using 95% confidence intervals. The results of this study show that doxylamine succinate is rapidly and effectively absorbed from the nasal mucosa."

stolen from pubmed. im not saying that anyone would want to, or should snort these, i just found this information quite fascinating.

I have tried snorting doxylamine, it is very effective for sleep.

However, I prefer benzos or hydroxyzine. Hydroxyzine is superior to both doxylamine and diphenhydramine for me.

i've taken 50mg+ of doxy and its never sedated me, but then again it was also taken with 100+ of Dexter mo, and that always keeps me wide awake!

Sometimes for days.

Diphenhydramine has always been an angel for me when I needed to sleep, even when benzos fell through.

This is the fourth or fifth thread i've seen the capn make it hapn regarding recommending Hydroxizine! What made you fall in love? =]

In my experience, doxylamine wins hands down between the two. I prefer it to ambien for falling asleep, quality of sleep, and lack of hangover the next day. Tolerance absolutely skyrockets though, after taking it a week I have to go up from 25mg to 50mg so I do not take it very often.

I have read a thread about it and it turns out it burns like fire. I guess you can still try but, don't say I didn't warn you.

I took diph nasally multiple times, it does burn a little.
I remember being a young kid and a friend told me it would get into
my blood faster if I put it in my lips like chew,
it cut my dang lip open!

Personally, I think swallowing diphenhydramine is best.
I haven't tried doxy yet, that's why I ended up on this thread.

I have tried snorting doxylamine, it is very effective for sleep.

However, I prefer benzos or hydroxyzine. Hydroxyzine is superior to both doxylamine and diphenhydramine for me.

Yea hydroxyzine is the best of the anti-histamines for sleep... there is a bit of hangover tho but I get that from all of them. Anyone who has never tried it should try getting some if they get poison ivy/oak for the rash it is easy to get but Rx only. Definitely the best.

Among the two in question, I think Doxylamine is more effective than Diphenhydramine... NyQuil always worked for me and Unison is basically NyQuil on steroidsd and without the acetaminophen and decongestants.

Yea hydroxyzine is the best of the anti-histamines for sleep... there is a bit of hangover tho but I get that from all of them. Anyone who has never tried it should try getting some if they get poison ivy/oak for the rash it is easy to get but Rx only. Definitely the best.

Among the two in question, I think Doxylamine is more effective than Diphenhydramine... NyQuil always worked for me and Unison is basically NyQuil on steroidsd and without the acetaminophen and decongestants.

just make sure you dont get unisom 2.. i beleive thats diphenhydramine.. someone correct me if im wrong.

Edit: oh yeah forgot to add... deffinately doxylamine over diphenhydramine.

yeah i like doxylamine better too. it seems to have less side effects for me.

just make sure you dont get unisom 2.. i beleive thats diphenhydramine.. someone correct me if im wrong.

Edit: oh yeah forgot to add... deffinately doxylamine over diphenhydramine.

Yea good looks but I get the original Unisom with 25 mg of Dox. I love my leftover Hydroxyzine tho Capt. H knows where its at haha!!

Yea good looks but I get the original Unisom with 25 mg of Dox. I love my leftover Hydroxyzine tho Capt. H knows where its at haha!!

ive got about 300 25mg vistarils so i know about hydroxyzine 2.. its great.. its a good potentiator. infact i think its the best antihistamine for potentiation.

Hydroxyzine definetely beats either of these for sleep or opiate potentiation. Hydroxyzine is the bomb for potentiating opiates not to mention it's better at stopping itching then diphenhydramine. Though i like the opiate itches theres a point where it becomes unplesant and with codeine intolerable almost.

I like doxylamine better then diphenhydramine for both sleep and opiate potentiation. It's maybe the second best anti-histamine you can get in canada for opioid potentiation. Even though promethazine is OTC no pharmacy fucking stocks it :X so i havent tried that one.

It's also super easy to get a script for hydroxyzine since most doctors would prefer giving you that over say a Z hypnotic since it's completely non addictive.

I was on some sort of diphen binge where I would take it every night for months on end. It came to the point where I actually needed it or couldn't sleep a wink, even though I never really slept anyway. I would usually take 20+ 50mg pills. I love the visual and auditory hallucinations it produces as well as the weird onset feeling you get when you know it's almost time. The big drawback as a lot of people have said is the hangover. It basically feels as though you are completely hollow and zombie-like and find it hard to even put a coherent sentence together. I go to get my methadone every day and when I pick up the bottle to drink it my hand shakes uncontrollably, kinda like the DT's one gets from alcohol withdrawal. I hate it. So I promptly buy some more and do it all again. I haven't taken it in a few months now but tonight I think I'm going to try dox and see how it compares to a "first time" diphen effect for sleep. Since I haven't slept in a few days I hope it works well. I'm too lazy to go wait in line at the clinic to get some zopliclone. Anyways, off to the pharmacy!

-= One more pill to kill the pain =-

Doxy and diph both knock me out. I prefer doxy though as it seems to work faster and have less of a hangover although some people say the opposite. Hydroxyzine and preferable to me for opiate potentiating and stress/anxiety as it does not cause sedation in my case. Also makes weed a lot less prone to anxiety.

I would have to say that Doxylamine is way more sedating than Diphenhydramine. However I have been using DIP for years as needed for sleep and only discovered doxylamine a few weeks ago by accident while I was sick. My friend brought me some cough drops and Nyquil. After taking the nyquil I realized that I felt a little mellow so I read the active ingrediants on the label. Immediately went to wikipedia and read that DOXY was found to be in one study at least as sedating as Phenobarbital. Also when taking DOXY in liquid form it seems to come on stronger and all you need is 6.25. I find I have to take 25mg of Doxy or more to get same effect as 6.25 liquid. This could just be my imagination or circumstance I suppose. Doxy is way heavier to me hands down