• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

DXM and kidney damage

adolescentasimba

Bluelighter
About a year ago I was recreationally using dxm daily for a period of about two months, with doses ranging from 7-11 mg/kg. I had used dxm before this but it was less frequent. It was quite a build up to daily use. I still use occasionally, but rather infrequently.
This summer I had problems with kidney failure and had to be hospitalized. This was after I had done dxm a few times recently. I told the doctors about my drug history, and even though I had not done ecsasty in more than a year they still pointed to ecsasty as the cause.
Has anyone else had any problems with long term dxm abuse? And does anyone know where I can find any articles on dxm's interaction with the kidneys? I've looked over the archives and on erowid. Other sources are greatly needed.

I'm not sure if this is related to your issue, are the kidneys to help urinate at all?
I had used DXM I think twice, then I tried it at a higher dose, maybe plateau II, 150ml. On this occasion I was really busting to do a piss all day, stopped in all sorts of locations to get it out couldnt do it. I thought it may have been some kind of psychological knot I had gotten myself in to.
I have never urinated the same since to this day. I'm telling you I lost the ability on this experience to urinate easily, I'm 100%. No history. Now it's a waiting game. Especially in public (hehe!) but it this case it is normal minor anxieties + that DXM experience damage.
It seems to have gotten better over the past year as I drink a lot of water. infrequent alcohol may have had an effect also, maybe the DXM clogged something up?
Never had it verified (shy/anxious 2 talk to dr about it) but I'm telling you DXM did it on THAT DAY. No longer can i flop it out like you other guys, im jealous of you guys who can do that because i cant anymore! I've been thinking of trying that 'Ural'? whatever that is, maybe that would help?
Hope this helps, how is your kidney now simba, r u ok?
edit: This was a robitussin syrup by the way, not crystalline form.
[ 29 September 2002: Message edited by: simpledimple ]

You probably couldn't urinate right just after using dxm cause it inhibits all your senses so even though you have to pee your body doesn't feel the impulse as strong. I don't know what it could be after a few days though.
My kidneys are better, sorta. If I use a lot of drugs or alcohol they bother me the next day, but other than that no problems, as long as I stay hydrated.

Your probably right, plus any anxiousnous. but im telling you something changed that day. I dont know i could be imagining it but i dont think so. maybe i dont have something thats needed to break it down im not sure
Great. How do you know when they are playing up on you, pains or something else? what happened when they failed?

I got terrible back pains, I couldn't eat or drink anything without throwing it up, and eventually I ended up in the hospital. They rehydrated me at the hospital, biopsed my kidneys, found acute damage due to "something," but eventually after about a week of being hydrated and getting medication for vomiting, the pain went away and the damage started to repair itself.

DXM organ damage

idk if this is even listed-- i couldn't find it so someone please direct me to the answer if it exists! I am looking for organ damage due to 500mg and under of DXM because i'm not sure if it damages anything and if so if its reversible or if there are no real problems at this level smim narfor or w/e i say to prove i'm not incriminating myself @ all i don't do drugs they are stupid

Is this kidney damage from the sugar or the dxm? If it's from the sugar just use Zicam.

I pissed blood in the morning the other day. I haven't used dxm in over a year, maybe two, or three. A while. But I did a lot when I did it, usually in the form of Delsym. I was thinking about whether this might have anything to do with my bloody piss as the doctors did a bunch of tests and ruled out infections and pointed to kidney inflammation. So I searched and saw this thread. Lol.

Pissing blood sucks. I just thought I'd add this information. Good luck

idk if this is even listed-- i couldn't find it so someone please direct me to the answer if it exists! I am looking for organ damage due to 500mg and under of DXM because i'm not sure if it damages anything and if so if its reversible or if there are no real problems at this level smim narfor or w/e i say to prove i'm not incriminating myself @ all i don't do drugs they are stupid

Do you mean brain damage?:\

I'm going to bump this old thread, since I've done a little research that could help those who are interested in the connection between DXM and kidney health.

First of all, the impression I get from this thread is that WalleyBFeed might be on to something. The connection between glucose/sucrose overdose and kidney trouble seems well established. Therefore, if sugary syrup was adolescentasimba's primary form of DXM intake (like it seems to have been in orangelicker's case) my first guess is indeed that the sweets are the prime suspect. The god of DXM William White also mentions kidney problems and DXM together only in the context of glucose overload. Searching the Internet I also only found kidney problems and DXM linked together in the context of guaifenesin, CPM, APAP, and this very thread.

About a year ago I was recreationally using dxm daily for a period of about two months, with doses ranging from 7-11 mg/kg. I had used dxm before this but it was less frequent. It was quite a build up to daily use. I still use occasionally, but rather infrequently.
This summer I had problems with kidney failure and had to be hospitalized. This was after I had done dxm a few times recently. I told the doctors about my drug history, and even though I had not done ecsasty in more than a year they still pointed to ecsasty as the cause.

So the fact the doctors apparently quite rapidly cleared DXM from the list of kidney-killing suspects, seems like an indication the medical world doesn't believe in the connection between DXM and kidney damage either. Moreover, I found the the following study, currently in progress. If I'm understanding the setup correctly, they're testing the nephroprotective effects of DXM! This means that the scientists involved suspect DXM in and of itself might protect the kidneys! Jolly good news!

But let it be clearly understood that nothing is proven at this point. The clear connections to harm seem absent, and the scientific hypotheses seem optimistic. That's all. People who are looking to start using DXM to give their kidneys a rest (like I'm admittedly considering! =D) should still factor in a theoretical risk into their decision. Not to mention the problem of staying hydrated while having your mind blasted off into hyperspace..

I also found this study, which I suspect does add not any relevant information, but of which I must admit I do not understand enough to shove it aside with absolute certainty. =D

If anyone has anything to add, or any faults to point out in the product of my afternoon of research, he should consider himself encouraged to do so!

Cheers! :)

I recently was hired at Jack In The Box. I was abusing large, very large amounts of DXM/Guaifanesin nightly. Let's say up to 1500 mg of DXM an multiple multiple grams of guaf a night. I had done this binge at a younger age and it turned into social and mental issues, but I recovered. Recently though I was abusing this mix and my Jack In The Box job started seeming impossibly stressful and unimaginably hard, I would often almost black out lifting things and couldn't carry stuff. I called in sick one day, then I just stopped feeling like I could get out of bed at all. Supposedly, this happened for a week where I just laid in bed. I don't know if it was exactly that long, but my room mates started saying they were going to call 911 on me. I really remember standing up out of bed being very difficult, I could barely walk without almost falling and my speech was a bit off and my memory was off. I would lie in bed and I started almost having fever dreams, I would hear flanging noises in my head and have trouble distinguishing between dreams and reality at times fading in and out. On friday I walked to my Uncle's house and the walk, which was usually difficult was like climbing a mountain. I could only walk say about 20 to 30 feet before I had to sit down or breathe. I could also feel my pulse hard and strong in my whole body. When I got to my Uncle's house I froze and couldn't stop shivering even at room temperature. Also parts of my toes and fingers started going numb. The next day I went with my Uncle to help cover his camper. The light was TOO bright, it was like everything was a huge tracer image, all I could see was this washed out BRIGHTness with dark tracer over it. Eventually I finally took advice and went to the ER.

My kidney was failing. They hydrated me and took me off my blood pressure meds lisinopril, which they say could also be the culprit. But the timing of the tripping with the failure seemed too perfect. It could be either one, but this was a VERY scary moment for me and I am far too scared to go back and do DXM right now. It seems suicidal.

I keep noticing a trend about these stories. All of the people had to be Hydrated, which means IV. If you're low enough to need an IV, you're already stressing the hell out of your renal system then. Throwing DXM into the mix can't make it any better as that stuff will dehydrate the hell out of you.

It's likely these people are causing harm to themselves knowing how dehydrated the average person is regularly.

When I read this thread, I started feeling faint and almost passed out and had to just immediately lie down before I fell down, that feeling passed then I was very nauseous for a moment, but the whole thing only was about a minute I somehow very quickly got better, but my face was totally pale and a little green hued when I looked in the mirror after.

I am afraid it's some sort of sign I am going to start drinking more water too

I have done extensive dxm abuse myself, and can attest to its affect on my urinating strength. When I first got off my daily abuse it would sometimes take a minute or so to start urinating. I also drank very little water during my worst phase. My poor body!! Haha but nonetheless I have been making small steps with the use of herbs and organic whole foods. I would suggest that possibly the massive glucose overload could cause those with a diabetic tendency to get it brought to the surface. Some of the symptoms are showing those of hypoglycemic, hypoglycemic, and renal and kidney system dysfunctions. maybe there is a link to diabetes, but some input would be appreciated by those with more extensive knowledge. :) my Hope goes to those others that were sucked into dxm abuse. All we can do is our best is stay healthy and see what and if the repercussions of this chemical might be.

this is an old old thread but i felt compelled to comment becuase i strongly feel there is a link to daily high DXM use and kidney failure an i have only found a handful of people who have described what I have experienced. I used DXM daily for a period of about 5 months. These were doses around 190 to 250mg. I was using cough syrup with no other medicinal ingredients other than DXM, no guafesin or whatever or anything else, and I was using pure pill form of DXM with no sugar or anything else in it. In the last two months I was dosing 2 to 3 times a day that to be high the whole day. I was pretty embarrassingly out of it and robotic by the end.

One day I came home from work in a decent mood, felt fine, took my usual DXM and sat down on my computer, and thirty minutes to one hour later I went to use the bathroom as it was hitting me. As I was peeing I felt lumps coming out of my urethra and clogging, it was very very painful. I was peeing almost dime sized blood clots and blood, and they would get jammed in my urethra and hurt like hell as I peed. My lower back was in immense pain all of a sudden, It was past 1 A.M at that point and I was so sure something was very wrong that I walked to the hospital in so much pain I felt I barely could.

When I got to the hospital, I was very very embarrassed about being a DXM addict, and as the lady at the hospital asked me if I had any idea what would cause this (looking at my urine sample) I told her about using DXM and she didn't seem to understand what it was or it's effects so much, so when I was brought in I kept mentioning DXM but got increasingly socially anxious and embarrassed. So when they asked me my pain level I downplayed it (I have really bad social anxiety and a fear of embarrassment or admitting pain). I said 3 when it was a 10 and said the back pain was minor.. so they called it a UTI, sent me home.. I stopped using DXM that day and luckily the symptoms went away once the DXM wore off, but ever since I feel my kidneys are weak, feel sore sometimes and when i drink water I have to use the bathroom 3 plus times in 2 hours right after.

I feel because I was so embarrassed about being a drug user, that i gave them invalid information and they assumed the least about me assuming I was some confused panicked nutso.

This was 3 to 4 years ago. Recently i took about75mg DXM out of curiousity and I felt a burning and pain after urinating that felt much much lesser but alike the start of the last attack, so I googled this correlation again and here I am. I too am looking for the odd person looking for information on this to compare to.

The reason the doctor jumped immediately to the ecstasy was because it is more well known to medical professionals as a drug of abuse than DXM. Most of my docs never took my DXM use seriously, but became real curious when I told them about the acid.
But it was definitely the DXM that fried your organs.