• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler

What drugs can dogs actually smell?

If you arrived at a festival to find you must walk past a pack of hounds, each with a separate olfactory talent, to gain admittance, I'd advise you to head directly for the refund counter.

Support a ''festival'' like that and you're a collaborator and deserve anything you get. Dogs belong at Crufts, not at the genitalia of hapless festival fans.

Speak out, loudly, wherever you see them deployed in this disgraceful manner. Otherwise, it's assumed the policy meets with your approval.

So your saying that all the dogs waiting for you at the gates of festivals are onlly going to show intrest in you if you walk past them with weed or coke? What about all those getting caught with lots of mdma pills, and mdma pills only?

I would of thought there would be different dogs there, example a weapons dog, a dog trained to smell weed and coke, a dog trained to smell mdma etc and if you walk past all three there is a chance you will be caught.

Dogs can show "interest" in you whether or not you have any drugs on you they can smell or not. There are going to be loads of false positives. Also, the police are on lookout for anyone acting suspiciously in front of the dogs - if you start acting up around them, as people carrying large amounts of pills naturally would, they will pull you to oneside for a search.

Also, as I'm sure has been said up thread, dogs are only really affective for 30 minutes at a time. At a festival they are going to be next to useless for any length of time - they are their primarily as a psychological measure, to catch people who behave nervously around them.

If you arrived at a festival to find you must walk past a pack of hounds, each with a separate olfactory talent, to gain admittance, I'd advise you to head directly for the refund counter.

Support a ''festival'' like that and you're a collaborator and deserve anything you get. Dogs belong at Crufts, not at the genitalia of hapless festival fans.

Speak out, loudly, wherever you see them deployed in this disgraceful manner. Otherwise, it's assumed the policy meets with your approval.

In principle, that's a nice idea, but festival organisers have these things forced on them as a condition of their license.

You can vote with your feet and not attend said festival in future, but you can't really complain.

In principle, that's a nice idea, but festival organisers have these things forced on them as a condition of their license.

You can vote with your feet and not attend said festival in future, but you can't really complain.

You can complain. Whether it'll change anything is a different matter altogether.

Do they have sniffer dogs at Glastonbury nowadays?

Can dogs smell painkillers? I've always wondered if people get harassed all the time for carrying their prescriptions around with them..

Can dogs smell painkillers? I've always wondered if people get harassed all the time for carrying their prescriptions around with them..

*facepalm*

No.

Have you read any of this thread? Dogs can be trained to smell for anything, but they are usually trained to smell for the most common illegal drugs - weed, coke, heroin. No one is going to waste time and money training dogs to smell for legal painkillers.

Here in Holland they told me the dogs at festivals are fake and they just put them there to see how people react when they see them. I don't know if this is true or not, but for the amount of pills that people take to festivals here, it could be true. They do catch people but probably because of their behavior or because they don't hide them properly. Once at a festival i had to go through a door with a dog and he didn't do anything and i had six pills on me...

Am I right to think that despite the fact that it is actually amphetamine too, 4-fa would be not smelled by dogs traind to smell speed? thks.

Am I right to think that despite the fact that it is actually amphetamine too, 4-fa would be not smelled by dogs traind to smell speed? thks.

Just on the subject of amphetamine thought I'd throw in. A friend of mine who only drinks (no recreational drug use otherwise) has ADHD and tends to keep his ritalin in the same pocket, he is a real case of it and requires it otherwise he just becomes far too destructive and hard to maintain.
But anyway, he was bouncing off the tube and had a dog run over to him, he ended up getting a full search and the only thing he had for an answer as his ADHD medication, this was accepted as the reason and they moved on.

I thought there was better things to be done, than teaching a dog to sniff for prescription medication such as ritalin...

Just on the subject of amphetamine thought I'd throw in. A friend of mine who only drinks (no recreational drug use otherwise) has ADHD and tends to keep his ritalin in the same pocket, he is a real case of it and requires it otherwise he just becomes far too destructive and hard to maintain.
But anyway, he was bouncing off the tube and had a dog run over to him, he ended up getting a full search and the only thing he had for an answer as his ADHD medication, this was accepted as the reason and they moved on.

I thought there was better things to be done, than teaching a dog to sniff for prescription medication such as ritalin...

Of course they don't train dogs to sniff for ritalin.

Why does everyone assume that a dog is a 100% foolproof drug detector? They get it wrong, lots of the time. This sounds like an example of a false positive.

In no way did I say it was a 100% foolproof drug detector...I was merely stating that someone got pulled by a dog for supposed ritalin 'residue' in his pocket due to someone mentioning amphetamines above. Just doing my part and contributing a bit of info to the thread. ;)

I'd say it was probably the guy's behaviour / demeanour that gave the coppers an excuse to approach your friend with the dog, either resulting in a false positive for speed (as stated above) or just vindictive, spiteful police insisting upon searching somebody they didn't like the look of and using the dog as an excuse.

There's definitely no way the dogs have been trained to specifically identify Ritalin.

I'd say it was probably the guy's behaviour / demeanour that gave the coppers an excuse to approach your friend with the dog, either resulting in a false positive for speed (as stated above) or just vindictive, spiteful police insisting upon searching somebody they didn't like the look of and using the dog as an excuse.

There's definitely no way the dogs have been trained to specifically identify Ritalin.

That's what I assume also. Gave him a proper thorough search though, dickheads!

Dogs will also "lie"... so to speak, and create probable cause for a search. Since there's no way to prove in court that the dog was lying, K9 officers can pretty much search whoever/whenever they like. A human officer might have what's called "reasonable suspition" but that's not a good enough justification to conduct a search for drugs...at least here in the US.

What about pharmaceuticals? Especially opiates. Also lesser known drugs like zopiclone or etizolam? I'm talking in bottles or blisters; surely not, right? Although I'm sue the rozzers'd love to get their hands on them, I think a lot of legit pharms would have to get through customs every day.

If you had a couple of packets of legit pharms then i doubt you would have too much of a problem, the police cant prove they are not prescribed to you. For that reason i very much doubt that drugs dogs will be trained to pick up the scent of prescription medicines. They are only intrested in people breaking the law.

Hi :)

Thanks for a very interesting and informative thread.

I used to be a hunt saboteur and we would spray this stuff called Anti-mate around the field after the fox had passed, before the dogs arrived. It stopped the dogs smelling the fox's trail. I think it's real use was as the name says - stop them mating - spray it on a bitch in heat or something? Dunno :) But what I'm thinking is, if you sprayed that on yourself ..... would it cover you the same way? Stop them smelling anything else on you? Anyone tried it?

One concern, it's quite a distinctive (sweet, sickly) smell so the handlers might recognise it if they're dog experts - but I reckon a bit of aftershave/perfume on top would be enough to fool human noses - you'd smell like a whores boudoir admittedly but that's not an arrestable offence.

yet.