• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

What drugs can dogs actually smell?

I'm pretty sure they can smell all of them but are trained to respond to only a few. I bet a lot of drugs legal or illegal could potnetially smell quite similar to eachother to a dog.

They make different psuedo-scents for training. you can pretty much get anything(or could when i was training my dog in 2001) all major drugs(coke weed heron etc), cadaver, accelerants etc..BUT it depends on what the dog is trained to smell...The company was called "SIGMA PSEUDO"(if i remember correctly they were a major marketer the police/feds) if they are still around you could probably look up what scents they offer, then you would know what the dogs are trained to smell.
Im sure its possible to train a dog to smell anything...but in most cases its the major stuff like pot etc...Hope that helped.

Only just seen this thread. I have some first hand experience of this....

I used to work in a music venue which had a few different rooms and was a big old warehouse building. The owners had a good relationship with the police, and this extended to letting the old bill use the building for their dog training.

The coppers used to bring these stick for the dogs which they would hide, and these things were full of drugs for them to smell out. One of the guys I worked with got to know the copppers quite well as he worked there full time and asked them about the sticks. Apparently they only put weed, hash and coke in the sticks. The copper said that the dogs at airports/ports etc. can smell more but the dogs the normal police use they only train to find coke weed and hash, as they are the most comonly used drugs.

What was quite funny was one of the guys on the local crew insisting that he thought he could find the weed quicker than the dog. The copper never let him have a go head to head against the dog though....

This was in merseyside, don't know if its the same everywhere, but that's what I've seen on the subject.

LSD dogs

ok so I guess I believe that dogs can smell acid... but where would they be? I assume in places like europe to USA terminals at airports cuz its meta illegal in here and its legal in some european countries.... and im assuming if i had a 10 strip in the bottom lining of my bag in double wrapped plastic a few hours before i went to the airport i would be totally fine, are we talkin like a half sheet here or how much is actually detectable? and is it even worth worrying running into an acid dog unless you are making it and selling it?

and anyone know whats up with mescaline? i think i would only ever be gutsy enough to do it with lsd cuz i could put it on a few business cards and no one would know, would be a lot harder hiding an o of any illicit drug! i assume that mescaline would be in the same realm as lsd, and how would someone go about stashing a big ol bag of drugs? to the leg?

Last edited:
I'm not aware that LSD is legal anywhere in Europe although I could well be wrong.

As for acid-smelling K9s, well, there's very, very little on a blotter to detect and I'd be surprised if there were 'acid dogs' on duty anywhere if they even train them to detect it. I'd be more worried about clothes or me smelling of weed leading to a search and manual detection but I don't know if you smoke.

If someone were to be going from USA to Europe with such substances they could always place in a letter or card and post to their destination. Airports are stressful enough already without having something like that preying on one's mind.

I'm not aware that LSD is legal anywhere in Europe although I could well be wrong.

I don't think you're wrong at all... maybe the Vatican City, but that'd be about it. :D

zeppelinfan925 said:
cuz its meta illegal in here and its legal in some european countries....

Forgive me, but what exactly does 'meta-illegal' mean?

Either that's some strange US slang or (by my understanding) you think that acid is semi-legal in the US... which ain't the case. At all.

I wish it were though. Oh, and Zep fans are always welcome. ;)

I think it could have been intended as 'mega illegal'. T and G are awful close.

I think it could have been intended as 'mega illegal'. T and G are awful close.

Ah, I didn't think about the typo explanation. I thought we had some misunderstanding of LSD's legal status there.

Must've been too caught up in megaphysical ponderings...

What drugs can dogs actually smell?

You are asking the wrong question. The question you should be asking yourself is, "what kind of dogs are going to be at/in/around the area I'm going to"

Airports and cross border Trains/Stations- Higher risk there is going to be a cross section of dogs for cash, drugs, weapons etc..

Clubs and Festivals - I'd say drugs and weapons.

Depends on the area!

Coming to boston from DC on bus, then waiting for a train out of boston my friend and I had police approach us with canines to check out our cooler. There were opium, mdma, and lsd like scents on us but the dog didn't pick up on anything.

I guess we just looked like terrorists and he was a bomb sniffing dog?

LSD sniffing hounds at Luton airport? Come on.

I witnessed a funny incident recently on the Tube. A slightly deranged looking Asian took umbrage at a dog patrol and walked up to the handler to lodge his discontent. " These dogs are trained to sniff Asain and Arabic peoples." he asserted loudly. " Moslems, do you see, Moslems?"

As he talked, the dog began to hump his leg. Really got into it. The guy howled and kicked and the handler pulled on the lead but the dog wouldn't stop. Panting, with wildly glazed eyes, straining to wrap both his legs round the poor guy's trousers, Fido really had the horn for the guy. Passing commuters were pointing and cracking up and some stopped to offer advice that ranged from the predictable to the anatomically impossible. Finally, the red-faced cop told the Asian to get the fuck out of there or he'd nick him. " Tell that to your bloody dog," squealed the protester in his sing-song accent as the canine leered.

For every sniffer dog triumph there are a hundred cock-ups. Most of the time, you needn't worry about them. Don't let them make you paranoid.

LSD sniffing hounds at Luton airport? Come on.

I witnessed a funny incident recently on the Tube. A slightly deranged looking Asian took umbrage at a dog patrol and walked up to the handler to lodge his discontent. " These dogs are trained to sniff Asain and Arabic peoples." he asserted loudly. " Moslems, do you see, Moslems?"

As he talked, the dog began to hump his leg. Really got into it. The guy howled and kicked and the handler pulled on the lead but the dog wouldn't stop. Panting, with wildly glazed eyes, straining to wrap both his legs round the poor guy's trousers, Fido really had the horn for the guy. Passing commuters were pointing and cracking up and some stopped to offer advice that ranged from the predictable to the anatomically impossible. Finally, the red-faced cop told the Asian to get the fuck out of there or he'd nick him. " Tell that to your bloody dog," squealed the protester in his sing-song accent as the canine leered.

For every sniffer dog triumph there are a hundred cock-ups. Most of the time, you needn't worry about them. Don't let them make you paranoid.

Yes, indeed!

You are never going to encounter LSD sniffing dogs. Just never.

Let me re-iterate the point I made many moons ago upthread - I once read an official Homeland Security press release on their website (link now lost) where they were trumpeting their success in training dogs to sniff for MDMA. They had a n intensive programme, where they took the best of the best, the creme de la creme of the dogs trained to sniff for methamphetamine, and trained them to sniff for MDMA.

The result of this programme? 150 dogs in the WHOLE of the USA that were trained to sniff for MDMA. Your chances of ever meeting a dog that is trained to sniff for anything other than weed or coke are vanishingly small.

Is there any truth to the suggestion that the higher from the ground you keep your stuff the harder it is for the dog to sniff it out? It'd make sense cause I suppose there's a bit more of a breeze and a further distance for the scent to travel, I'm just dubious as to whether the difference is negligible.

The sniffer dogs in La Paz have little bags of oxygen attached to their backs. They cook better that way.

Walk through Customs on stilts?

Well I'm 7ft 4 so it could be prove worthwhile information to have.

Yes, indeed!

You are never going to encounter LSD sniffing dogs. Just never.

Let me re-iterate the point I made many moons ago upthread - I once read an official Homeland Security press release on their website (link now lost) where they were trumpeting their success in training dogs to sniff for MDMA. They had a n intensive programme, where they took the best of the best, the creme de la creme of the dogs trained to sniff for methamphetamine, and trained them to sniff for MDMA.

The result of this programme? 150 dogs in the WHOLE of the USA that were trained to sniff for MDMA. Your chances of ever meeting a dog that is trained to sniff for anything other than weed or coke are vanishingly small.

So your saying that all the dogs waiting for you at the gates of festivals are onlly going to show intrest in you if you walk past them with weed or coke? What about all those getting caught with lots of mdma pills, and mdma pills only?

I would of thought there would be different dogs there, example a weapons dog, a dog trained to smell weed and coke, a dog trained to smell mdma etc and if you walk past all three there is a chance you will be caught.