• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler

What drugs can dogs actually smell?

Anyone know how good these 'smell proof baggies' are like?
I mean, surely you can't put stuff in it for ever without a dog being able to smell it?

^They are only good for humans, dogs can smell pretty much through anything i think. A way to throw them off is to rub another animals scent on your car or self such as cat etc. dogs are pretty unreliable I think.

Last edited:
not really sure that would actually make a difference, presumably they could just pick the smell of drugs out from the smell of other animal.

At risk of repeating what has been said a few times, clove oil might be effective at nuking a dogs sense of smell.

not really sure that would actually make a difference, presumably they could just pick the smell of drugs out from the smell of other animal.

At risk of repeating what has been said a few times, clove oil might be effective at nuking a dogs sense of smell.

A dog's instinct is more powerful than their traning, if they sniffed a cat smell they would go after that and forget about looking for drugs, or so I'm told. They are more fool proof than people think I think.

I've seen dogs at liverpool st station, bethnal green, brixton, farrigdon, aldgate, walthamstow etc be careful they may just be for show but then they may be real ones too. as a friend of mine walked through as he went to leave he pulled out his wallet, the dog went straight to his hand, of course he had used his cards to rack up lines of coke. So moral of the story if you are going to take drugs on the tube put them in your mouth as you depart because you never know. I have heard two things about drug dogs, one. being that drug dogs cannot smell over the waist (i know this sounds proposterous but my boyfriend always thinks he's right) and two. that drug dogs cannot smell if its in a cavity inside your body e.g. vagina or bum hole ?? ;)

Just like to make a point about what dogs can/can't sniff.
Bear in mind the company in which you have kept the last few days and how clean your clothes are.

The lingering smell of weed on a pair of jeans is enough to set the dogs off, as I found out to my displeasure when I got caught with posession of magic mushrooms purely on the basis that my trousers had a lingering odour from the night before.

small bit of advice
get tight underwear and keep anything and everything there
so at least you know you will have to be strip searched before they find it
and how likely is that?
also it helps stop you losing shit as it is going nowhere
and you can always give yourself a quick pat to make sure its there
tried and trusted method.

I was wondering, if you had some cocaine hcl, and you would dissolve it in a bottle of alcohol, would the dogs be able to smell it in the alcohol bottle?

Its safe to assume the dog wasn't trained to sniff out Mephedrone.

There was a clip the other day on the BBC of customs using a dog to sniff it out at customs but AFAIK its not really the most popular one they're trained for at all.

Might not have even been a drug dog, could've been there to sniff terrorists, or it could've just been there for show for coppers to suss out people looking nervous.

I would assume that drugs dogs can smell out mephedrone now. They'd need to for the supply to have dropped off as much as people have reported.

Just read through this whole thread in an effort to learn a bit more about sniffer dogs and thought I would put my experience forward with scenting dogs.
I have a couple that I use for hunting pigs in the aussie scrub. Sometimes they can smell a pig 1km away! Now pigs smell a lot but there is no way they smeel THAT much. There is two types of scenting, hot and cold. Cold is your trailing like a bloodhound, Hot is a pig that has crossed the track a while ago and the scent is fresh in the air. This is what they are smelling when they look for drugs I spose.
I know some blokes that use their dogs for different quarry and when they get a protective collar on they know only to go for pigs and leave everything else alone so they most certainly could be taught to only scent on command.
The dogs I have don't have as good a nose as some of the beagles etc but all dogs have different traits. Mine are also quick and athletic with lots of heart.
The shepards are an all round police dog from what I have learnt. Not great at everything but can be trained to do most things, scent trailing, guard work etc... The beagles/spaniels are good for the scent mixed in with other smells.
In my experience it takes about 3 months of pretty full on training to get a dog able to scent pigs from a certain distance under certain conditions (from the back of a ute while driving about 20km/h). I don't see why a dog could only smell a couple of things. Wouldn't be hard to just mix all the drugs in together in the training and then isolate them later in the training.
I also doubt that they could be trained to pick up on changes in people's body language as this wouldn't be possible to replicate in a controlled environment!

I have discovered it is actually quite expensive to train dogs though and obviously there would be a limit to time and money in training them. If the drugs did need to be trained seperately then they would probably have to prioritise the training to the most common and popular drugs or risk having a dog that wouldn't be used enough.

I also don't see how a dog can only work for 30 minutes at a time? I have had dogs work for 12-14 hours at a time without any loss of ability. then get up and do it again the next day.

Sorry for the long winded reply but thought it might help a few people understand dogs a bit more!

Does no-one see drug/explosives dogs at tube stations as rather a threat to our much vaunted civil liberties?

Came across two waiting at the top of a tube escalator on my last trip to town. I'm not going to allow some crazed canine free reign to sniff my goulies and made to walk around the heavily protected, beefy cops forming the gauntlet through which the sheep were expected to walk.

Of course, this was interpreted as " suspicious" and my progress was quickly blocked. Why did I object if I'd nothing to hide? Fuck, I hate that argument, fascism in eight words. But cogent quotations from Kant, John Stuart Mill and Blind Boy Blunkett were rather outside the remit of the tired constable practising his interrogation skills. When I asked if I could sniff his underwear his only reaction was to add sex offender to his terrorist/dopefiend/nutter suspicions.

My principled stand added 15 mins to my journey time while my 'details' were checked on radios that didn't work too well below ground. Commuters passing through the rat trap all avoided my eye, fearing guilt by association, till a brace of uppity Afro-Caribs and an earnest lass in specs joined me among the 'walkaround' crowd. Remarkable. You could almost see the riot fears in the state-autonomon's eyes. I was waved on along with the loud black lads, one of whom had a fair sack of herb in his sock. Practical politics. A small victory for the free folk.

The moral? If you can spare the time and have no warrants out, stand on your rights and refuse to walk the gauntlet. If enough peops did so etc.

Last edited:
Everytime ive been past a drugs dog ive been caught! I dont have very good luck at all

The last time was when i went global gathering, it was a fucking pig fest to say the least, there was literally about a line of 5 dogs all spaced out and you had to walk through them to get in.

At the time I had 15 pink facebooks up my arse and the dog came straight up to me and sat down and I started shaking like a shitting dog, I guess they can sort of smell them up your arse then? Anyway I got taken into some little room by this pig and he did a full search etc and even did a strip search, he even made me touch my toes whilst checking my arse, Id lucking shoved them higher on the way in, had a nice shitty finger but he didnt find them. Got to the tent eventually and I did have some very shitty facebooks

Lol - I hope you wrapped them well!

I've always thought that it's well worth waiting till mid - late afternoon @ Global before taking stuff in - when the gates open it's a fucking joke!

I have a friend who did a dog handling course a couple years ago, run by a chap who used to train sniffers. He said that a dog can only be trained to sniff out one particular substance, so a dog trained to sniff, say, semtex can't smell cannabis & vice versa. Also, dogs get bored/tired quickly & soon start failing...

Also ----->
http://www.badscience.net/2011/02/youre-ooonly-cheating-yourself/

"The results were a smuggler’s dream come true. The “dogs” kept confidently finding the empty boxes, when the humans could see the marker saying where they were. So in reality, although the human handlers cheerily thought the dogs were finding these boxes, in fact it was the humans themselves, just like with Clever Hans. The dogs also found the sausages a lot (though they were supposed to be finding drugs and explosives), but they were twice as likely to do so when the handler saw a sign misleading them into believing this was the target. Overall, the handlers beliefs had a greater influence over what was found than the dogs. If you’re a smuggler, get a haircut and buy a suit."

^^ Yeah they generally have different dogs for Drugs, Weapons, Cash, Bombs etc but the drugs ones are trained to smell most common drugs