MEGA - Studying, Exams, Stress, and coping with them

james_dean_dean

Ex-Bluelighter
Cheating in exams

Any good cheating tips? Is it worth it (e.g. if you know you'll not need that particular material in later life)? Have you ever cheated and got away with it?

Whether they'll admit it or not, I imagine most people have cheated on a test or quiz or run a dry lab at some point in their lives.

I don't really think its worth it, especially at the univeristy level. See what happens to you when you get busted for academic dishonesty.

ive never cheated on anything in my life. maybe "most" people have, but I am in no way most people.

i dont understand the point, you are honestly only cheating urself.

at the university level, you are a complete idiot for cheating. our university's policy for cheating/plagarising on ANYTHING is expulsion, as it should be.

I don't fall under the 'most' people here either. That, and I never let someone borrow or look off of anything I did. Yeah. I was that person that people always used to get pissy with because I wouldn't let them cheat off me. They could do their own damn work :)

I'm a TA now. I *want* to catch someone cheating. I think it'd make my day ;) And don't think that we don't take classes that teach us about different ways people can cheat. We know to watch your cell phones and your mp3 players. We have programs to run papers through to look for plagirism. *evil grin*

Ask around ,some people might have the test. In my school a lot of the test are out there.

I've never cheated in an exam. Whats the point? If its of no use to you later in life just suck it down and take your lower grade, or work hard.
At my GCSEs (age 16 exams) I spend 95% of my revision time doing German, even though I knew I was going to drop it for my A Levels and I hated it with a passion. German was my worst grade in the end, but I still tried.

Now I'm in uni I don't have even the ability to cheat. You can't just write down a formula on your hand for my exams (maths), because the exams are so "non-standard", every year the things asked are completely different and require thought, not just blurting out of a fact or equation (like A Levels are). Besides, if I cheated on say "Complex Methods" and didn't learn the work, now that I'm doing "Further Complex Methods" I'd be up shit creek without a paddle wouldn't I?

Obviously you've specifically said you won't be using the material again, so that doesn't really apply. Still, my previous comment stands, either do some work now, or take the bad grade.
shahab6 said:
Ask around ,some people might have the test. In my school a lot of the test are out there.
If its a national test like SATs, GCSEs, A Levels etc, then its highly unlikely anyone will have the test.

What shahab6 is referring to is a common problem in a lot of schools, at least in the states. In my school it's done, at least in part, by the frats and sororities and other large non-academic organizations. Basically, someone keeps a copy of the test when they're done with it, and they put it on file for everyone else to look at. Because of this we've stopped giving exams back, you have to come to the office to look at grades. We also change exams every semester. A lot of instructors (myself included) also make possession of the exam a violation of the honor code -- which means you can kick the student out of your class or fail them if you find out they took the exam out of class.

fizzygirl said:
What shahab6 is referring to is a common problem in a lot of schools, at least in the states. In my school it's done, at least in part, by the frats and sororities and other large non-academic organizations. Basically, someone keeps a copy of the test when they're done with it, and they put it on file for everyone else to look at.

Yea this is quite common......My friend's frat had 2 file cabinents full of tests.....

At my school they don't give two shits about that. In fact, pretty much all old tests are available on reserve in the library. They do, however, make up new and pretty different exams every semester. It does you no good to have an old test, except to get an idea of the subject matter. If you made a half-assed attempt at keeping notes, you'd have that anyway.

THE WOOD said:
ive never cheated on anything in my life. maybe "most" people have, but I am in no way most people.

i dont understand the point, you are honestly only cheating urself.

at the university level, you are a complete idiot for cheating. our university's policy for cheating/plagarising on ANYTHING is expulsion, as it should be.

I'm the same way...I've been tempted to cheat before and even created a cheat sheet but didn't have the balls to use it!

At this level it's just not worth it!

You want a cheating tip...studying your ass off for the test like the rest of us!

unfortunately, the teachers were right: you really are only cheating yourself.

I never cheated and didn't need to. If I was fucked for a test it was my own fault and I'd rather take an F than a "get the fuck out of college." Also, I trust myself more than some idiot sitting next to me.

yeah, at least if you fail, you know you did it all by yourself :)

i can look back proudly at my E in yr10 maths. it gives me warm tingles =D

Thanks for being honest guys. Just for the record, this thread wasn't exactly intended to be that serious (i.e. I wasn't planning on actually cheating). It was only an idea.

I think I agree with you. It's kind of pointless if you think about it.

Usually I make a sheet, ask to use the bathroom and reference it. I've never been denied a bathroom break in College.

If I'm lazy I'll just write on my hand.

I would like to say however that a vast majority of the time, cheating accounts for maybe 5% of my final mark on a test. It's not something you do in lieu of study, it's meant to be used in conjunction with study to get a very good grade as opposed to a good or decent grade.

I've never cheated, and I would readily turn in someone who does. Not to be a brown-noser, but if I'm going to work my ass off and study 15+ hours for an exam, I'm not going to look the other way while my fellow students go party the night before and then pass by cheating.

Cheating is just a HUGE peeve of mine. Even if you're using just a *few* notes to get a solid A as opposed to an A-, that can still royally screw over someone when the class is operating under a bell curve... and about 90% of my classes in college were. I've had A's that were kicked down to B's more than once due to the bell curve... too many students with A's.

Last edited: