MEGA - Studying, Exams, Stress, and coping with them

Yeah then you just have to find some other way for students to show that they've mastered some skills. It's hard to do that with intro classes without exams. They wouldn't be able to cheat, but they also wouldn't take a note or pay attention either (most of them).

As for the suggestions by babariba....I really don't know any teachers here that'd take money for your grade. Honestly if one of my students doesn't do well, I care, but not to the extent I'd risk my job for their grade. That's just insane.

As for the phone and photo stuff, we check for that. Phones aren't allowed out, you can't listen to your ipod, you can't text message anyone, etc. Some instructors check for student ID's (you get one when you first come to the college) when people turn in exams, and you also have a university published list of people in your class (with pictures) that you can compare with. The most likely way to cheat would be to hide the notes on a small piece of paper that was mentioned....to try our best with that we do have more than one person walking around looking for things in the classroom.

We don't have to show ID, its just walk in, sit down and do it, but given the whole year sits the exam at the same time, it'd be hard to send a friend in, and noone (and I mean noone) in the years above would sit your exams for you.
The person could be from another university too, not from your, cause if it's from the same uni the chance teachers know him is big.
Any lecturer who does that should be fired, no ifs, no buts. Utterly pointless them giving the course if they have morals like that when it comes to the exams. As I said, someone tried that on my dad, they'd suddenly find themselves repeating the year, or just chucked out.
I agree with that, but the corruption here is on another level than most of your countries.A teachers month payment here is about 150~200euro which is really ridiculous, so many teachers take money from students to give them their exams.
Unless you are sitting very simple exams, which do not require a lot of writing and thinking on your own part, that'd be very hard to do. Again, I imagine I'd find it impossible to find someone in my uni who would do that for anyone, even their best friends.
I dictated to my roommate about 3 hours in friday on his FINAL.
You are only making it worse for yourself if you cheat in exams, since come the next year you'll be worse off and need to rely more and more on cheating, creating a downward spiral. Once you get out of uni/college and into a job people will rapidly realise you have no idea, and you won't get far with that.
I agree with that!But sometimes you just have to cheat.When you have to decide - leaving the uni for couple of exams or cheat, take them and continue , what will you choose?
Phones aren't allowed out, you can't listen to your ipod, you can't text message anyone, etc.
They are not allowed here too, but who says that you should show your phone ?You just hide it in your pocket, put the handfree in your sleev and do the job.

I am not saying that cheating is good for you in any way!But sometimes as I said you just have to cheat the system.;)

babariba said:
The person could be from another university too, not from your, cause if it's from the same uni the chance teachers know him is big.
Seems a bit over elaborate for an exam, besides finding someone to sit a 3rd year maths exam isn't exactly "easy" ;) I doubt the invidulators would recognise or not recognise anyone else, generally they are people who don't even teach the subject.

As I said, if its important you should work for it, if not, take the fail.

:) The city I live in has about 5-6 unis, so u can find the right person for your exam.I like ppl from the technical uni :) they like to study a lot and to go on others exams.

Increasing productivity at work? & Motivation to Succeed!

Hey Groovers!

Well - I'm a workaholic. I love to work. I love to succeed, I love to be rewarded and I love challenges.

Recently I've been involved in a lot more project work for large data centres, developing proposals and end user solutions.

I'm a reasonably proactive person. I don't like sitting around being reactive. I'm always calling out, developing relationships, trying to find new opportunities, but reality is, I want more...

Now I believe that you can spend 12 hours at work, work those 12 hours, but if your not efficient and manage your time well, then maybe hours are wasted, where as an efficient person could have done it in 8 hours.

So my questions are...
  • What drives you?
  • What do you do "beyond the call" to better yourself and be more proactive?
  • Are you committed to your work?
  • Any tips for working more efficiently?

I'm quite good at time management. I manage my day by prioritizing work and rolling it over to the next day if I dont achieve it within that day. I also write down everything I talk about with customers and have notes to look back on.

Still - Im really interested what others do... and if the feel the same way I do. My ambition and motivation for work sometimes interferes with my personal life and relationships because Im to driven and focused on my career.

Anyone experience the same issue?

shals :D

I just have to keep busy, or I go insane thinking about how fucked up things are. I'm working to better the future for myself, and those around me.=D

If u have a identical twin whose really smart. Just get them to go instead of u. It worked on Home & Away today...

shal said:

So my questions are...
  • What drives you?
  • What do you do "beyond the call" to better yourself and be more proactive?
  • Are you committed to your work?
  • Any tips for working more efficiently?

The desire to complete work assigned to me in an efficient and timely manner is my main drive at work. I also like proving that I am reliable in an office environment tackling things that are complex. A lot of people I deal with in my business environment underestimate me because of my age.

I make lists on small pieces of paper of my upcoming goals and tack them to my bulletin board on the wall next to my desk. It helps me follow-up on things and ensures that nothing slips through the cracks.

I'm not sure what you mean by "committed". I don't really enjoy my job, but I like the feeling of satisfaction I get when I complete my work and solve problems that fall in my lap. I have my own office, so I can listen to music at work, which I find EXTREMELY helpful in keeping me productive. Also helps to keep me in a good mood.

My desire to work and do well at my job is to not let my workmates down- If I am lazy then there is still the same amount of work to be done so others just have to pick up my slack. Also I work in the medical field so there are patients at the end who deserve the best care.

However I find it hard to keep motivated if I see other people I work with not pulling their weight. I don't like to be taken advantage of by slackers.

If I am working with others who are doing their bit it is easier for me to do mine!

I am the opposite of you shal. I am not proactive, i have no motivation or hope to succeed, i hate working, im lazy, i sit around alot, i dont plan things out, i never try to go the "extra mile" with anything, i daydream alot, im basically a depressed lazy loser.

I fall into the daydreamer/lazy category too :)

Paradoxically, when I *do* decide to focus my attention on work I do it brilliantly - and fast. I guess that's how I get through my day... a burst of energy/productivity, followed by extended bouts of bludging/twiddling thumbs/time wasting.

I'm shithouse at delegating; I'd rather do it all myself. And as far as organisation goes, well let's just say yellow post-it notes are my best friend.

Oh yeah and I "roll things over" to the next day quite frequently ... especially on Fridays =D

Strawberry_lovemuffin said:
Oh yeah and I "roll things over" to the next day quite frequently ... especially on Fridays =D

Yeah, I have to admit, I do that also occasionally on Fridays.

The desire to work for me comes always with the money reward - if I get money for that work I'll do it perfect, if money are not involved and I should do it for free I'll give lets say 30% from me.That's just the true money are the best motivation I can have and nothing else.

I heard that Beta Theta Pi frat archives are 'public' nationally. That is if they have it, they have to let you see it if you request. Could be bull

Write the answers on your desk with either a ball point pen or a .7 led pencil. Come to class as early as you possibly can and get busy writing what you need written. Make sure you've written only enough so that when you're done, your forearms can cover the text...b/c when the tests are being handed, that's where you'll need to have them. Besides, most kids are so depressed about the test they're in same spot as you are. Once you've got the test, you've now got a perfect cover...slide over as necessary. Works great for essay tests when you need to remember certain key points...or for History exams when you need to fill in the blanks, math tests for formulas you can't write down or remember, the lists goes on.

I'm not afraid to admit I've cheated. Someone earlier asked "what's the point", I think the answer is very clear - for a better grade. If I'm borderline grades and need a solid 92 (for example) to pass a class, you're damn straight I'll pass that test by any means.

Here's the technique I've used many times:

26court.jpg

This one is almost undetectable, in fact, I've sat in the front row right in front of the professor just to see if I could pull it off and I did. You can put a shit load of information on the inside of a bottle label. Make up a sheet in MS Word, with size 9 or 10 font, and tape it right onto the inside of the label. Of course, my friends and I sometimes work out an elaborate system of foot taps, pencil tabs, and paper moving motions that we relay all around the room so everyone gets hooked up.

You just can't sit with your buddies on test day, the teacher is more prone to suspect some cheating going on. You can use the 4-corner approach and pull it off way better. For example: person in front row far left signals to the person in the front row far right the answer by a foot tap (1 for A, 2 taps for B, etc) a left foot tap will mean skip answer. Person far right will relay this back to the person in the back right corner, this will be relayed to someone else, etc.

^ We have to remove our water bottle labels before going into the exam :\

Type anserws in a text msg and send it to your phone b4 class. Put your cell on silent and try to hide it under the desk. It's kind of risky so you have to be really shady about it :\

You can also "type answers" and formulas in some of the higher priced texas instruments calculators. I use a TI-83 and you can type stuff into it.