MEGA - Studying, Exams, Stress, and coping with them

MAKING it into college isn't hard.... I don't even understand why you're stressing...

i didn't even want to make it to college, i was extreme smoker/motivation deprived teen,

I had a 2.5 cum gpa in highschool and now attend one of the best schools in the nation for my major... i didn't even start picking up my GPA until sophomore year of college ( i don't reocommend it, its an uphill battle from here)

I feel the same way right now :\

I have just been getting high everyday and not even doing my work. I also go to school online which is really hard, especially because it lacks that social aspect of school. I just hate school right now and don't even want to do it. I hate the fact that I don't give a shit, but I guess that's what happens when you have a drug addiction.

^Online classes aren't for everyone. In order to succeed at them you have to be able to motivate yourself, keep structure, allow time like a classroom setting would, and be disciplined. When you "get high every day and don't even do your work" you're just setting yourself up for failure.

What can you do when you get discouraged? Keep going. Prove to yourself that you CAN make it. Study harder, sleep more, party less.

MAKING it into college isn't hard.... I don't even understand why you're stressing...

i didn't even want to make it to college, i was extreme smoker/motivation deprived teen,

I had a 2.5 cum gpa in highschool and now attend one of the best schools in the nation for my major... i didn't even start picking up my GPA until sophomore year of college ( i don't reocommend it, its an uphill battle from here)

I worded my post a little weird, I'm already in college. I was discouraged that I bombed my math test this morning.

^Online classes aren't for everyone. In order to succeed at them you have to be able to motivate yourself, keep structure, allow time like a classroom setting would, and be disciplined. When you "get high every day and don't even do your work" you're just setting yourself up for failure.

What can you do when you get discouraged? Keep going. Prove to yourself that you CAN make it. Study harder, sleep more, party less.

I really want to go back to regular college, but now that I have started taking out student loans for one place, I don't know how to go about transferring; not to mention, this would be the fourth time I would be switching colleges.

If you want to find out how to go about transferring, do it. Walk into the advising office/student services/whatever it's called at your campus (or the one you'd like to attend) and find out. You really seem to be making excuses and complaining without attempting to make the changes you want.

I'm not trying to be rude, but you're in college. You're not a child. You have to do things for yourself; your life will be what you make of it.

Maybe it's just because I bombed a fucking trig test I could have sworn I would get an A on earlier this morning, but what the fuck did you guys do whenever you walk out of a classroom thinking "i'm never going to make it in college"

I WANT to make it, obviously, I just get depressed and sometimes angry thinking about shit like this

Everyone bombs a test at some point. It's okay. So maybe the first important thing to realize is that everyone--everyone--screws up at some point and at multiple points.

I know that can be hard to believe, or not carry much impact, if you've just had the experience of walking out of a classroom furious at yourself for failing a test, so let me add some color to it.

For some time the military had what was known, disparagingly, as a zero-defects culture. There was a belief that any mistake would cost an officer his career, and so the emphasis became to avoid mistakes at all costs. And, of course, the real cost turned out to be in the quality of leadership. No mistakes meant no learning, and it meant great officers leaving early. They corrected it, with speed, because they realized the importance of allowing mistakes to happen; in fact the evaluations of junior officers in some branches are expunged completely at a certain point, whether they are good or bad.

Chester Nimitz, on his first command of a destroyer, he managed to run the ship aground. He was court-martialed, found guilty of neglect of duty, reprimanded, and shortly relieved of command.

30 years later he commanded the US Pacific Fleet during World War II, and eventually was the US signatory to the Japanese surrender on board the USS Missouri in Tokyo Bay

There is an enormous number of similar examples.

Now, you didn't run a ship aground, and you're not going to be court-martialed. You failed a test. It happens. It's okay. It does NOT mean you will fail at college, or anything else.

The thing to do now is learn. There is immense value in mistakes, and the key is being brave enough, and confident enough, to find that value, and apply it.

What went wrong on the test? It could be more than one thing. Perhaps your preparation was deeply flawed. Perhaps you tried to cram too much studying and learning into too short a period of time, not doing the work daily. These are things that can be fixed.

Perhaps the subject material is confusing? There are resources for that as well. Make use of your school's tutors, and your professor's office hours.

Finally, and you'll hate this but do it anyway, take the test again on your own. In doing so you'll see more clearly where and how you went wrong, and importantly you'll learn whatever material you didn't know before.

That you were discouraged at your grade simply means that your academic performance is important to you. That's not a bad thing. You just need to understand better the role of mistakes in learning, and to apply them. Mistakes are a normal part of life, and getting furious at yourself, and discouraged, just isn't useful at all. Just smile, think "all right motherfucker, I guess we've got a game now," and go forward.

Look at it this way. Kirk failed the Kobayashi Maru.. TWICE!

.. and he turned out to be one of the greatest starfleet captains of all time.

The only semesters in college I made 4.0's or close I did not pull all nighters. I started studying up to a week prior to an exam and made damn well sure I knew the info so that the day of the exam I wouldn't study at all. I used to use notecards and memorize everything. They don't work well for long-term memory but work fine for exam studying ;)

Perhaps the subject material is confusing? There are resources for that as well. Make use of your school's tutors, and your professor's office hours.

That you were discouraged at your grade simply means that your academic performance is important to you. That's not a bad thing. You just need to understand better the role of mistakes in learning, and to apply them. Mistakes are a normal part of life, and getting furious at yourself, and discouraged, just isn't useful at all. Just smile, think "all right motherfucker, I guess we've got a game now," and go forward.

Great advice in this post ^

I made a D in a course one time, got discouraged, and dropped out of college. That was nearly 10 years ago and I just finished my degree this past May. I'm a dishwasher right now because I can't find a decent job with my degree so I've decided the only way to remedy that is go to grad school.

I keep thinking to myself, "Damn, if I'd just stayed in school and finished up while the economy was still good I'd be 10 years into a decent career by now."

Now I'm gonna have to incur more debt and invest who knows how many more years into my education just to make myself competitive again.

STAY IN SCHOOL!! :X ;)

Take six months off and encounter first hand what the job market will be like if you don't have a degree. Cut down on all the drugs this will cause you to do, then go back to uni full of newfound enthusiasm.

(worked for me anyway)

Great advice in this post ^

I made a D in a course one time, got discouraged, and dropped out of college. That was nearly 10 years ago and I just finished my degree this past May. I'm a dishwasher right now because I can't find a decent job with my degree so I've decided the only way to remedy that is go to grad school.

I keep thinking to myself, "Damn, if I'd just stayed in school and finished up while the economy was still good I'd be 10 years into a decent career by now."

Now I'm gonna have to incur more debt and invest who knows how many more years into my education just to make myself competitive again.

STAY IN SCHOOL!! :X ;)

The anarchist side of me loves this attitude. Fuck it, stay in school until we're all PHD graduates. Put off actually working until we're all 40. Then the 900lb gorilla will be an entire ageing population indebted to banks and the government. O YA, MAYBE NORTHERN EUROPE HAD IT RIGHT ALL ALONG!

Still, I'm glad people are going to school. It's making a point, We go through our whole lives being told that the holy grail is getting a good job. Then, we get out of school and realize that "good jobs" aren't just given out because you went to school for 8 years. They're given out through nepotism, private interest, and work experience first. Then, if those avenues don't provide an employee, you can take the guy with the M.Sc. and fail to pay him enough to pay back his monthly student loan payments.

I'm not bitter honestly. I think it's funny. I giggle to myself often over this. I want to stay in school forever.

Seneca once said that one should approach each new day as though it were the first day of one's life. I've found this to be a useful thing to remember whenever I've felt discouraged by regrets, and when I was having trouble beginning a new endeavor in a non-traditional format.

I too did some of my schooling outside the traditional order, and had similar concerns that you did, e.g. debt, banging myself over the head because I felt myself "behind" some of the kids in my classes, etc.

The debt always has to be compared to your probable future earnings. Just keep that in mind. You're making an investment with your education, and like most investments, it requires some financing.

As far as feeling behind, on a day to day basis I actually did find that simple quote useful, especially if I consciously applied it. It allows you to measure progress from here forward; and over time I think you'll also learn not to view the previous years as "lost years" but simply as time you spent in different pursuits which had their own value. It's all experience, and all experience is useful.

If you want to find out how to go about transferring, do it. Walk into the advising office/student services/whatever it's called at your campus (or the one you'd like to attend) and find out. You really seem to be making excuses and complaining without attempting to make the changes you want.

I'm not trying to be rude, but you're in college. You're not a child. You have to do things for yourself; your life will be what you make of it.

I agree that it's my own fault, but when you are severely depressed with a drug addiction and being treated for neither, motivation is hard to come by. I am in the process of getting help for the drug addiction and depression, which in my opinion is pretty good step.

Honestly, I go to my parents. They know my potential the best and don't bullshit me. They're very logical people and assure me that rationally I can make it. This helps because I feel, in general, a lot of my discouraged feelings are misplaced and/or just anxiety. Otherwise, I go to friends who reassure me.

If I get discouraged and have nobody to talk to (rare, but it happens) I try to mentally focus on my successes. Additionally, for some reason I always think of a passage that spoke to the idea that EVERYBODY and that means EVERYBODY falls flat on their face sometimes.

You know, a related thread like 'here's one of my biggest failures in my career and I'm still doing ok!' thread might be worthwhile to help people realize it's not them. Everybody has their bad days, tests, interviews, classes, presentations etc. :)

The anarchist side of me loves this attitude. Fuck it, stay in school until we're all PHD graduates. Put off actually working until we're all 40. Then the 900lb gorilla will be an entire ageing population indebted to banks and the government. O YA, MAYBE NORTHERN EUROPE HAD IT RIGHT ALL ALONG!

Still, I'm glad people are going to school. It's making a point, We go through our whole lives being told that the holy grail is getting a good job. Then, we get out of school and realize that "good jobs" aren't just given out because you went to school for 8 years. They're given out through nepotism, private interest, and work experience first. Then, if those avenues don't provide an employee, you can take the guy with the M.Sc. and fail to pay him enough to pay back his monthly student loan payments.

I'm not bitter honestly. I think it's funny. I giggle to myself often over this. I want to stay in school forever.

Sounds to me like you are a little bitter 8)

I was on the fast track to a good career back in the day. I had the right grades, decent experience, and awesome references. When I dropped out I threw all of it away.

I don't want to highjack the thread from the OP, though. There's nothing wrong with going to school for 8 years but you have to follow through. Make friends with prof's and use them as references, do the internship, study abroad, do all the things that set you apart from the other guy with the same piece of paper. Most importantly, stick with it.

I worded my post a little weird, I'm already in college. I was discouraged that I bombed my math test this morning.

It's one test. No big deal. Make up in homework/extra credit/projects/etc for the class.

On the first class one of our profs told us he failed 2 courses freshmen year and still graduated with a 3.5. A bombed test is just a speed bump in the road.

Keep ya chin up.

And like someone above me said, learn from your mistakes. Mistakes are useless unless you learn from them.

Severe ADHD - I hate Adderall

I'm likely to piss off a lot of you by saying this, but I think it's bullshit that because of how my brain works, I've been diagnosed with ADHD and now need to be "treated" for what I essentially consider my personality. I think it's like this for most people that have ADHD, it's only really a disorder when you're placed somewhere that doesn't "click" with how your brain works.

I'm not someone who lacks "drive", I'm not lazy. I'd say I'm actually a pretty intelligent guy, I just happen to really not work well with how high school works. I get nearly 100% on almost every test I take, but the "mindless" read-remember-copy type homework that actually has a notable effect on my grades is a HUGE problem for me. I don't put the shit off, it just never occurs to me once home from school that "hey, I should do this shit so I can graduate".

So almost all of you, I'm assuming, will tell me to shut the fuck up and stop trying to deny that I have a mental disorder and just adapt and get over it. I would- but there are a lot of people in my situation. Enough of them that it begins to be less "disease" like, and more of a "type of person". Some kids struggle with material, and do fine at just getting work done. And other kids have no problem with the actually subject matter, but tend to get a bit "bored" with most school work and find getting motivated to do it damn near impossible. All I want is a different style of courses, that still stress the importance of deadlines, but are simply structured in a way that promotes creative problem solving and actually using your brain. It's not asking for an "easier" high school, because other kids would fail miserably in a course structure like that, just like I do in the traditional style classes.

Taking Adderall helps my ADHD symptoms and makes it easier to adapt, but also makes me feel like death and makes me feel like everything I like about who I am is being erased. I HAVE to take it if I'm going to graduate, and it pisses me off so much.

Has anyone been confronted with something like this? Basically I'm medicated for ADHD, and the isolation of being an "ADHD kid" that needs "fixing" has contributed to really bad depression in the school year, further fucking up my dopamine, leading to an even worse lack of motivation and ability to simply remain conscious. I'm a senior in high school, I'm planning on going to college and hopefully getting a bachelors in graphic design or something similar. At this rate I can't really say if I'll graduate on time... everything just seems so fucked up and there really isn't any help. I can "force" myself to just deal with school, but I'm not exaggerating when I say that I can't have a social life or really any happiness at the same time...