Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Random Social Chit-Chat v. Illuminati Confirmed

But i think SS' point is an american production winning "best foreign language film" award simply because it's predominantly in japanese.
Bit of a cop out to all the other genuine foreign productions.

that's sorta kinda a bit like a professional sprinter running in the disabled olympics because he had sprained wrist.

ego_loss said:
Clint Eastwood IS one of the most accomplished people in the industry, so I think he would deserve such accolades.

of course he deserves a lifetime achievement award (he hasn't already received one has he?) but does the film industry know something we don't? the awards and ass kissing have been coming left, right, and centre in the last few years for i what feel were mediocre films whose successes were a product of their casts and big budgets.

anyway, my post was more about america seeing itself as the world than clint's abilities.

^^
First off, I have not seen the movie in question, but I understand that a majority of it was done in Japanese? American movie or not, I think that would qualify it as a "foreign language film" as the category requires.

As far as having our heads up our asses when it comes to patting ourselves on the back, I would normally be inclined to agree with you... but I won't just for argument's sake. There is a lot of shit coming out of American cinema these days. I think there is more being done to move the medium forward outside of the borders of the US than in it. However, when it comes to established names who have made some of (what I consider to be) cinemas greatest hits... hits that were probably more than a little inspirational for the non-Americans who are making the good movies today, a little bit of adulation is due.

In other words, I don't think giving one of the really great film makers to come out of America in the last half century some recognition is such a big problem... especially not if this one particular film is as great as everyone makes it out to be.

Nope. That site probably doesn't allow hotlinking. Host it yourself and post it.

I think I blurted out "ooh. I wanna see this" quite loudly within the first three seconds of the trailer for 'Letters From Iwo Jima' because there might have been an explosion and it was in black and white so I realised it was a war moofie.

Yes, I am very easily pleased :eek:

Yes, I am embarassing to watch trailers in a cinema with.

But no, I'm not one of those who talks through moofies.

Not happy at having to wait two weeks to see this. :(

^ It looks like a fucking commercial for listerine or to get you to enlist in the marines. No thanks.

i saw a clip for this on the big screen recently and it looks a lot more impressive on a grand scale.

i agree with darthmom - looks like a great telling of a great tale.

alasdair

L2R said:
cate blanchet is awesome.

That she is :)

I've just rediscovered my fondness for Sarah Polley. I've been a bit of a fan of hers ever since I saw the 'paper or plastic?' scene in Go. And to me, Ronna's story was always way more interesting than the others anyway.

TRIVIA:
Sarah Polley has said in interviews, she only took the role because she loved the line in the opening scene: "...and look how far it got you."

:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30pambL4rns

*bump*

Just found this thread and merged it with mine. Looks like someone already came up with the idea before me 8)

I don't like Star Wars....any of them. Yeah,I said it.

Also,when I go to the movies,I like to get there early so I can sit in the top row. That way,no one can sit behind me. For some reason,people who like to talk and use their cellphones are drawn to me. It's much easier to kick their seats or,worse case scenerio,smack them,if they are sitting in front of me,not behind me.

It always cracks me up how in the censored version of the movie Next Friday that they show on television. In the scene where Baby D is chasing DeDe around the parking lot, DeDe says "stop bullstuffin" instead of "stop bullshittin". It makes me laugh every time...."Stop Bullstuffin"

I just watched The Seven Samurai. I don't see why people say it's so great. It was interesting but damn 3 hours long for such a simple story.

any movies with cool philosophical or spiritual undertones get me excited.

Captain Commie said:
I just watched The Seven Samurai. I don't see why people say it's so great. It was interesting but damn 3 hours long for such a simple story.

think of when it was made.
at that stage, nothing like it ever existed. kurosawa is the father of american action films.

^ true, but movies made by Charles Chaplin are also old but to me they have more meaning and are more exciting.

But I guess that Charles Chaplin never had any action films so the Seven Samurai does pretty well in that category.

What I liked about the Seven Samurai were the characters. Kikuchiyo is one funny dude and he made the film more humorous. Thinking about it now I guess it wasn't so bad, but the beginning kind of turned me off.

what do Alien drink?

..in order to produce that much spit? :\

im serious here. i love those movies but i have to know.