• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Withdrawls from Fentanyl use -- how to treat symptoms? (SHIVERS!?)

Clonidine will help:

USES: This medication is used to treat high blood pressure. It works by stimulating certain brain receptors (alpha adrenergic type) which results in the relaxing of blood vessels in other parts of your body, causing them to widen. Lowering high blood pressure helps prevent strokes, heart attacks, and kidney problems.

OTHER USES: This medication may also be used to ease withdrawal symptoms associated with the long-term use of narcotics, alcohol and nicotine (smoking). In addition, clonidine may also be used for migraine headaches, hot flashes associated with menopause, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, and other conditions as determined by your doctor.

Pharaoh Sphinx said:
Been using fent on a 24/7 basis, even wakin up every 2 hours during sleep ICE fuckin cold shiverin in full blown withdrawals and having to drag my ass across the floor and shove a load down my nose and laying there in fetal position for 60 seconds of sheer agony and irritability till im suddenly overcome with an instaneous blast of warmth and comfort and receeding back to my bed to fall asleep within seconds, and repeat the process 2 hours later, every night, for the past 2-3 months.

Well today I decided to withdraw. Ive never gone through any real lvl of opioid withdrawals in my life and am having a very hard time handling these withdrawals they are unlike nothing ive imagined, just totally fuckin dominating. The muscle weakness is incredible just hours without taking a dose and I can barely walk severe fatigue cant sleep cause of everything going on, even my clothes against my skin are horribly irritating.

Now, smoking weed has helped with the irritability and such, but the most problematic symptom are the shivers. far worse than any fever ive ever had, to the point I feel like my entire rib cage is just seizing up. I asked my girl to touch my spine and she said it was literally hot enough to cook an egg on it. when I touch my back it HURTS my hand it literally gives feeling of touching a mildly hot burner. that really cant be healthy... so my real question here is how can I best combat these shivers??? Any substance I can take to cessate/reduce them? Would regular fever medecine work or are the shivers occuring through an entirely different mechanism of action in this instance?

I seriously cant handle them, just wave after wave after wave of worst feelings ive EVER felt :( fent is eviiillll, heroin withdrawals werent nothin so bad.

Hey bud, you are describing the shivers I exactly get like just from Oxy Withdrawal of 5 month use of 40mg/day oxy w/ds. I would like an answer to this as well. GHB seems to help a LOT with the shivers/wd symptoms except it does not help with the runs. GHB will also help you sleep off most of the withdrawals. I wish I had some, as I am really running low on oxy right now, and I need to quit ASAP, but its just that my job is so important at the moment right now and I'm working 5 days a week getting up at 6AM every morning and doing an oxy. I know how you feel bro, your w/ds are prolly worse than mine because you been doing Fent, but with oxy w/d i get the chills/shivers really bad too and insanely sensitive skin as well. Does anyone know if Robaxacet will help the shivers? Or Robax Platinum, Methacarbomal/Ibuprofen combo?

Thanks

Obyron said:
Several people have recommended benzos, but you might also try Kratom. It's a weak opiate that's been said to have gotten several people through withdrawal symptoms. It can be procured online from sellers of ethnobotanicals, and there are several preparations of it you can use.

Be aware that it doesn't seem to work for everyone, and that it can itself be addictive. Still, it has to be better than Fent.

I agree with this. Good quality Kratom (I prefer Bali Kratom) helped me quite a bit with oxy withdrawls. You need to get the ground leaf. I would dose about 4 teaspoons per day (2 teaspoons twice daily) and it pretty much got rid of the withdrawl symptoms. The funny thing about Kratom is it feels alot like an opiate, but there are enough negative side effects (slight nausea and lack of intense euphoria are just a few) that it prevents you from becoming really addicted to it IMO. It was very easy for me to quit the Kratom when I needed to.

Thanks for the wealth of information all of you.

I have about 2 grams of opium sitting around that I could try to use but its pretty old and dried out.

Im currently in the tapering process. Im still only dosing once every 5 or so hours, now already at about 40% my original dosage per intake, and like 1/10th my regular dosing frequency.

Now GOOD news, I have acquired 12 'supposed' ativans. They are white bars with a T score N on them. Would these be ativan? Ive NEVER taken a benzo once in my entire life. So they better knock me out righteously. Anyone care to suggest a dosing regimen with them ASAP??

I don't understand the imprint you described, so I can't look them up, but I'm pretty sure in the US (and probably canada also) they are in 0.5, 1, and 2 mgs.

Find out which you have, and I'd say (with zero tolerance) 1-2 mgs to chill you out. Its a more subtle benzo (for some) but that should give you relief. To sleep, I dunno how much they can help, as benzos don't let me sleep in WD unless I take boatloads of them. You could realistically take 2-4 mgs to try to sleep. This is safe, it takes quite a bit (more than you have) to worry about any sort of overdose or negative effects from these.

I hope that helped a little

Don't use the ativan unless you get panicky...they will help alot in a couple of days when the insomnia kicks in...

Once you get down to a really low dose of fent you can switch to a small dose of opium and ride that out (taper with that as well)...

Seems like you should be fine if you've already managed to taper down so much...congratulations

yea im surprised only one person mentioned catapress (clonidine) that works amazingly well to help with the cold sweats shivers ect. It reduces blood pressure, stops that body throbbing feeling, especially in the legs and makes sleep a little easier. There have been times in the past where thats the only thing i used besides the catapress was ibuprofin. good luck man

Clonidine has helped me before as well. Since you are in Canada what you can do is go and get some Robaxacet C 1/8. It is OTC but you have to ask at the counter for it as it is kept under the counter (if that makes sense).

Anyway it contains 325mg APAP, 400mg methocarbamol (a muscle relaxant...it helps) and 8mg codeine/tablet.

Get a few of those to use to taper with once you run out of fent. Sounds like you are doing an impromptu taper of fent. these little babies may be a life saver. you can also accurately taper your dose.

This would work much better if you can get a doc to Rx you robaxecet C 1/2 with 30mg codeine at first. good luck.

A good friend of mine was 'stuck' on Methadone the last 8 years, and about 4 years ago wanted to drop her dose alot because she was getting fed up with all the side effects of a high dose (500mg a day) so spent the last 4 years trying to drop from 500mg a day to 100mg a day, and without other drugs to help her IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE

She tried MANY different drugs to help (clonidine, benzos, Propranolol, ect) which helped a fair bit but the BEST combo that worked WONDERS over the last 2 years was Sodium Valproate (Epilim in Aust and UK) and Zyprexa together - zyprexa is a really strong alpha1 blocker to stop all the really high adrenaline side effects when withdrawing from opiates.

Both drugs together made dropping 1000 times easier she said.

Try Sodium Valproate (Depake in the USA i think) first, because it is a WONDER drug for helping drug addicted people get off drugs like Benzos and Opiates.

One the main problems withdrawing from opiates (and benzos) is the HUGE increase in glutamte release, because opiates themself reduce glutamate release, so your glutamte receptors UPREGULATE themself, so when you are withdrawing from opiates your neurons are chronically over firing, making you very hot and bothered, and ultra sensative to touch and pain.

So you need to reduce your glutamate system to feel better, and Sodium Valprote stops the glutamate receptors from working INSIDE the receptor, by inhibiting the PKC enzyme which your glutamate receptors need to function, as do 5HT2 receptors, M1, M3, M5 and a bunch of others that need the PKC enzyme to work.

It is the most under valued drug in my opinion.

Or you could try and find a NMDA (glutamate) receptor blocker like memantine (i tried it and got a headache that lasted more than a week), or ketamine.

But i think Sodium Valproate is ALOT safer and has less side effects - that is just my experience and my opinion.

My psychiatrist gives Sodium Valproate to about 90% of his patients - he thinks it is a wonder drug, and at first i was very skeptical, but after watching my bi-polar friends and myself TOTALLY change our lives for the better over the last 2 years with this drug, i am really impressed with it.

The secret with Sodium Valproate is to NOT HAVE TOO MUCH. I find a little bit is good (i have 200mg to 500mg a day depending on how i feel), but TOO MUCH makes me flat and dull and emotionless, which i dont like. Start low and go up, and if you feel too flat, just lower the dose, and you will feel good the next day - it has a 12 hour half life.

Good luck !

Last edited:
wow thanks for the info again. many options here.

this is an update on what has happened for me;

last night about midnight, I took 2 of these supposed "ativans". Now I made a mistake, they are not T score N, they are I score N. Either as in a 1 for 1mg, or a uppercase i or lowercase l. Im basing on LOGIC, that its a 1 indicating 1mg per tablet.

They worked great!! I slept through till about 6am, at which point I took another one and a 1/4 my usual fent dose, and slept till about 9am. Upon wakin up I felt pretty groggy, until I had a shower. Then things felt alot better.

My withdrawal symptoms seem very diminsihed as opposed to the past 48h. The shivers have been gone since this morning, alot of the muscle pain and irritability and that feeling of fabric touching your skin with a million micro-prickles are all... obliterated. Mild diarrhea, ive had worse at fast-food though.

Ive been taking multi vitamins/mineral complexes, whey+milk+EFA oil shakes, and smoking a join a day to keep the appetite up for other meals has worked great. Also since yesterday, ive been forcing myself to jog for 20 minutes, and doing some minor weight lifting. It creates releif, beleive it or not.

Ive hopefully got some diazepam and nitrazepam coming soon, to be used sparingly during the depression that im seeping into. The supposed "second stage" withdrawals... fun. I hope by this friday I will be entirely cleansed of this first stage of demons.

A good friend of mine was 'stuck' on Methadone the last 8 years, and was getting real tired of the side effects on a high dose (500mg a day) so spent the last 3-4 years trying to drop from 500mg a day to 100mg a day, and without other drugs IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE

She tried MANY different drugs to help (clonidine, benzos, Propranolol, ect) which helped a bit but the BEST combo that worked WONDERS over the last 2 years was Sodium Valproate (Epilim in Aust and UK) and Zyprexa together.

Made dropping 1000 times easier she said.

Try Sodium Valproate (Depake in the USA i think) first, because it is a WONDER drug for helping drug addicted people get off drugs like Benzos and Opiates.

One the main problems withdrawing from opiates is the HUGE increase in glutamte release, because opiates reduce glutamate release, so your glutamte receptors UPREGULATE themself, so when you are withdrawing your neurons are chronically over firing, making you very hot and bothered, and ultra sensetive too touch and pain.

So you need to reduce your glutamate system, and Sodium Valprote stops the glutamate receptors from working INSIDE the receptor, by inhibiting the PKC enzyme which your glutamate receptors need to function, as do 5HT2 receptors, M1, M3, M5 and a bunch of others that need the PKC enzyme to work.

It is the most under valued drug in my opinion.

Or you could try and find a NMDA (glutamate) receptor blocker like memantine (i tried it and got a headache that lasted more than a week), or ketamine.

But i think Sodium Valproate is ALOT safer and has less side effects - that is just my experience.

My psychiatrist gives it to about 90% of his patients - he thinks it is a wonder drug, and at first i was very skeptical, but after watching my bi-polar friends TOTALLY turn their life around the last 2 years with this drug i am really impressed with it.

The secret with Sodium Valproate is to NOT HAVE TOO MUCH. I find a little bit is good (i have 200mg to 500mg a day depending on how i feel), but TOO MUCH makes me flat and dull and emotionless, which i dont like. Start low and go up, and if you feel too flat, just lower the dose, and you will feel good the next day - it has a 12 hour half life.

Good luck !

if the physical symptoms didn't last that long then i guess the depression will be short lived as well...watch out with the benzos...getting heavy insomnia after you stop using them sucks...

yeah man... if you dont have benzos then benadryl is your best friend as far as getting some sleep goes... try 200mg not 50mg that probably wont do shit if your this far into withdrawls where you need a dose every 2 hrs

Watch out for Benadryl. It's a antihistamine and can worsen any RLS you might be experiencing. If no RLS currently then Benadryl can help