Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Movie Reviews Part 3 - The good, the bad and the ... rentals

kryalkastleE

Bluelighter
i went and saw KENNY last night.
what a great aussie film. i thought that it would be a bit disapointing but it was an absolute cracker. KENNY character is so loveable, its like a mock doco on a guy who cleans toilets.

SUPPORT AUSSIE CINEMA PEOPLE!!!

Snakes on a plane!

No need for a review... I just wanted to say it is one of the funniest movies you'll see. It was so great that at times the whole cinema was clapping with delight! Don't miss this one!

^^^is this just so so so bad its good? Like didn't Samuel L Jackson even make some comment on it being like the worst movie ever in an interview.

^ Its intentionally 'bad', but its not insanely bad
I thought it was ok but I was hoping for something more

Great stoner flick is how I'd describe it

The internet hype/memes and random fan-fiction leading up to the movie was more inventive and generally cooler than the flik itself. Each to their own tho

I somehow missed all the hype! Hadn't heard a thing about it until Raz messaged me last night to come along...

I was pleasantly surprised... especially since I was nursing a nasty hangover!

Beech - I wouldn't really describe it as bad at all! Stupid at times - yes [in a funny way].. but not bad!

Doppelganger said:
Snakes on a plane!

No need for a review... I just wanted to say it is one of the funniest movies you'll see. It was so great that at times the whole cinema was clapping with delight! Don't miss this one!
Sing it sista! I am totally going to go see it again this week. :D

The only other thing I am going to add is that you have to stay right through the end credits. There's a Snakes On A Plane song, and it is awesomely horrible. While I have no doubt every actor in this movie was taking the piss the whole way through (I reckon it would have been fkn mad fun to make), I have a feeling that the band in the film clip which plays at the end really were taking the whole thing seriously. Which makes the whole thing extremely awesomely awesome. =D

Today I watched The Hills Have Eyes which was hands down the best horror movie I've seen in a long time. There were parts that made me visibly cringe, I've never averted my eyes from a movie yet but sections of this film had my stomach feeling physically unsettled. I intend to torture everyone I know by making them watch it.

I also watched Basic Instinct 2 and it was every bit as much a piece of shit as I expected. Avoid like the plague. The only highlight is Sharon Stone's perfect looking fake breasts. Her heavily made up face doesn't quite cut it in hiding her age though - I guess this comment's kind of sexist but if they want to try and make her look like she's 30 then I reserve the right to criticise.

Went and saw Nacho Libre on Friday night. I enjoyed it but I'm pretty sure its one of those films that you can either label as total rubbish or as pure gold. If you aren't into Jack Black's style of cheesy, physical and sort of obvious comedy then you'll hate the movie. But if you find some pretty sick and somewhat twisted shit funny then you'll love it.
I went expecting it to be a piece of shit but walked out with a pretty big smile on my face.

I saw Nacho Libre as well, last night, and it was fantastic. Not sure if you knew, but it is by the same director as Napoleon Dynamite (Jared Hess) and it really shows.

Anybody who enjoyed Napoleon Dynamite should probably see it (awkwardness abounds). If you didn't enjoy it, see it just for Jack Black's hilarious facial expressions...

ahh ok I didn't realise it was same director as Napoleon Dynamite but I must say at the time of watching it I was reminded of Naoleon Dynamite. There is an odd awkwardness about it. Jack Black was great with his facial expressions and I thought the skinny sidekick in the movie was quite good too. Some of the more subtle undertones in the movie are pretty funny too.

DO NOT SEE Macbeth

A week or so ago we scored tickets to Macbeth via ITM. Forty minutes into this badly acted p.o.s. we made a hasty exit and I lost a glove somewhere in the black morass that is an unlit theatre floor.

If you want to see bad acting and pointless theatrics backed up by absolutely ocka renditions of Shakespeare, then go see Macbeth. The language bit being my main ire against the film, it was like they took a beautiful piece of literature and slaughtered it in a local Frankston pub.

Three thousand said it wonderfully: "(we were) unsure whether to even peg this review. There’s so much to get excited about in our creative city, there are also some beautiful films bearing the Australian stamp. So we say this, go see Macbeth, be it at the cinema or on DVD. See it and if you’re involved in film on any level, create something brilliant to counter it."

DO SEE Little Miss Sunshine - one of the best movies of the year!

Another week goes by and two more preview tickets come our way via the HiFi bar mailing list, another Australian flick 'oh god' I say at least three or four times, I honestly walked into Little Miss Sunshine almost afraid.

**Update: Tiny bit of research reveals this is not written or directed by anyone remotely Australian, and after watching, it's not set in Australia, so scratch my misinformation above.

sunshine06.07.28.jpg

Then the curtain came up - and from the very first scene to the last, I was rivetted to the screen. Brilliant acting from all involved, with Toni Colette holding the family herd together, alongside Little Miss Sunshine herself, the 7 year old daughter 'Olive' played by nine year old Abigale Breslin. Breslin shines in this role, and whilst surrounded by wonderfully talented actors, all putting out star performances, Abigale reflects every nuance of emotional up and down that occurs throughout the film, and does so with a skill far beyond her years.

Little Miss Sunshine uses a great story and wonderful cinematography, featuring tight, gritty close ups to winding panoramas and plently of great 'motion / highway' scenes. Also featured was one of the most decisive uses of space on film I've seen, certain scenes such as just after an argument have Colette with her back to the camera on one side of a motel bed, her husband facing us on the other - the emotional rift between them is almost visible in the air.

The entire thing is littered with subtle references of truly black humour that keep the whole thing ticking so quickly you are swept up and dumped out at the end, almost pained from laughter - Did I mention its fucking hilarious?

Cocaine, Combi's, beauty pagents for seven year olds, Nietzsche, Suicide and fried Chicken.

Everyone should see this - its sad, beautiful, entertaining and inspiring in so many ways.

4.7 out of 5

IMDB (Internet Movie Database) review - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0449059/
Trailer (Quicktime) - http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/littlemisssunshine/trailer/

yep, i read a pretty bad review re: macbeth the other day in the paper. originally before i had read the review and had ultimately heard not much about the movie, i was kinda intrigued by the idea, but now i can't really say that i'll be rushing to go see it.

Did anyone else see the Finnish movie Frozen Land (Paha maa) on SBS the other night? I don't know if it was because I was sick and sleep deprived, but I really liked it. It was one of those stories that (relatively seamlessly) tells the story of a number of individuals whose lives are woven together in some way or another. I thought it was clever and the majority of characters were quite interesting. It's quite a bleak film, despite the fact the movie starts and ends with the idea that things work out the best for all of us. To me, that didn't really ring true, but I guess it's all about perception.

^^^
i think almost every second film these days has a plot that consists of separate stories/ characters that meet up at some point... i blame tarantino.

um...seen way too many lately (if that's possible) to recall all worthy of a viewing but Thankyou For Smoking sticks out

Heheh, thankyou for wmoking (as well as the short 'we almost missed you!' from same production house) was one of te best movies i saw at MIFF. Along wit 'A Scanner Darkly' it forms one of the highlights of my movie-going year thus far

^^^
so let down by a scanner darkly. hope linklater's fastfood nation is better.

reposted from f&t...

was really looking forward to this but i'm actually pretty disappointed after viewing. if it truly is an accurate adaptation of his book (haven't read) then i can see why his other works were put on the big screen first. it has a great amount of underlying issues relevant to the present but they are not fully fleshed out enough as far as i'm concerned. it is quite a boring film actually and the visual style i found was very distracting, a novelty, and it seems to have been utilised purely to jazz up what i feel was a very bare script. i also find it odd that for a film that is essentially very anti-drug it's gimmicky visual style will no doubt be a major bums on seats drawcard for trippers.

2 stars

i enjoyed thankyou for smoking..thought it was funny...and it made me stop and think about the ways big tobacco companies actually do market their products..and also it made me want to be a lobbyist..lol what a cool job...

<3

Genasirus said:
DO NOT SEE Macbeth
^Actually Duckboy and I were at the premiere and absolutely loved every second.

I personally found it to be rich and decadent in both style [think costumes, lighting, mood] and content. The feeling of absolute lush stayed with me throughout the whole movie.
The acting was amazing IMHO, with all of the leads doing a fantastic job to really interpret the words in a way that fitted a current-day gang land environment.

5 stars from me. One of if not the best Australian film I've seen.

fast food nation was SHIT! well okay, not quite shit, but definitely average. my first thought when the movie ended was 'i bet the book is a thousand times better'.

wtf linklater? and now i'm hearing bad reviews on a scanner darkly... i hope i don't agree with you, ss.