• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Movie Reviews Part 3 - The good, the bad and the ... rentals

X Men 3

Well, that was a bit all over the place. I liked the concept of "the cure" and how the writers showed us more variety of mutants and their gifts. Though the fight scenes were too short and it felt really crammed and rushed.

Still i'm a sucker for X men, so it will go on the DIVX pile

The Omen

Fantastic. It's been years since i saw the original Omen trilogy. The actress who played the nanny was great, fit the part perfectly. Can't wait for the next 2 to come out. Also going onto the DIVX pile

It's all for you Damien

I meant to post this some time last week, but due to internet constraints (its being a piece of shit), I lost my post.

Watched The Devil's Reject's with dandy! last Friday, the sequel to House of 1000 Corpses.
Truth be told, I wasn't too keen on watching it due to the fact that House was so fucked up.
The movie, however, was a pleasant surprise, with all the regular stuff you'd expect from Rob Zombie. Freaks, gratuitous torture scenes, bullets entering skin closeups, murder-by-logs, trucks etc.

clowns too. Can't forget the clowns. Or the vigilantes.

Regardless, the style. lighting and sideburns Mr. Zombie chose to use for the movie emphasize well the location and period in which the movie was set.
The actors, all unknown (to me, anyway), do a decent job of appearing either as psychopaths, cops, or terrified victims aware of their iminent mortality.

I'd definitely watch this again, and thats not something I'd consider saying for House of 1000 Corpses.
Despite the fact that I own it :\

8!

Last edited:
Due to Illness, I have seen 4 films in 4 days. I normally watch that many in a year.

Magnolia.
Umm... brilliant acting, great character based movie, but i just couldnt connect to it. I think as half the plot was predictable(i mean as soon as he came in to see his daughter and she starts screaming.. how couldnt you guess the rest of that story line ?) I think the idea , the concept behind the movie however is great, but its been done better (think requiem for a dream, pulp fiction) some mind blowing and movie scenes however. I especially phil, the nurse. They did some amazing stuff with makeup and lighting to make him look a certain way , and to distort your opinion on him based purely on their skill to contort like this.

The deleted scenes should have been added, and wouldnt have made the ending so shitty.

Garden State
Loved! this film. Everyone is like .. OHH ITS NOT REAL ! YOU CANT FALL IN LOVE IN 3 DAYS ! Yershh.. and thats its whole appeal. And although a difficult thing to do, its not impossible. I loved the characters. The storyline, and I related so much to both andrew and sam at so many points, I nearly forgot they werent real people. Someone called it a masterpiece, I dont think its quite that, but its awesome for what it is. Someones first film they directed, wrote and starred in. Pretty amazing if you ask me.

The Corporation
Loooong. At first it seems this film is going to be hard to follow, but its absolutely worth it , even if you just take one thing away from that film
everything is not what it seems. seek the truth. ect ect

Cowboys and Angels.
This is an SBS film I managed to catch tonight. Its about these 2 boys who become roommates, one quickly and unrealistically becomes a drug dealer, then they become best friends. One is gay, one is not. But by god, I just wanted them to touch. Two incredible looking men. Touch. Please !

They dont, but its such a happy happy feel good film, its almost forgivable ;)

Went to see The Departed last week. Really enjoyed it. Pretty violent and loads of foul language, i'd have thought it would have gone close to an R rating.

Jack Nicholson is brilliant in it as the mob boss. Highly recommend this one

well i recently saw Snakes on a Plane and i must say what an absolutely terrible movie, it was funny, and a good mindless movie to just sit down and watch but it was just terrible. in every respect. the snake vision in the fuzzy green is what got me the most. i was just in hysterics the whole time. funny funny movie, but terrible.

Another mindless movie that i actually enjoyed the other day was Shes the MAN again, a terrible movie but i liked the idea and the concept based on shakespeares "12TH NIGHT". Was good for a girly movie anyway and the soccer players were hotzor, and the guy from lock stock was fucking hilarious.

<3

I just came back from watching Children Of Men and I would have to say it was a stunning piece of cinema.
This film really chews up its audience by subjecting them to some of the most bleak and moving imagery with amazing speed and force.

This movie moves at an insane pace and can lose you at times, flying over unimportant plot details. That said, I found it always stayed within my grasp.

The acting was superb and I felt this as well as script and cinematography really added to the gritty realism being portrayed.

The film was stimulating and engrossing at all times with the odd random flicker of humour appearing on screen.

Most importantly for me, the whole premise was believable; this really helped it to pack its powerful punch and added weight to its message.

The only down-side for me was the soundtrack. The musical score should be something the viewer shouldn't be overly aware of in my opinion. It's main purpose is to lift you through the scene changes and highlight the different emotions taking place between the characters in a subtle and complimentary way. This score was almost entirely made up of Beatles wannabe' Brit-soft-rock tunes [which I actually really enjoy], and I grew tired of the repetition by the second half of the movie. It was just too too much by the end.
Reading through the credits I was surprised to see works by Deep Purple, Aphex Twin and The Kills had all featured, but I didn't remember hearing anything remotely like what I would expect songs by those bands to have been like. :\

I would give this **** [four] stars --- it was thoroughly entertaining and would stand up to repeat viewings. Well worth taking a look at the cinema for the full effect.

Last edited:
Do you enjoy feeling depressed?

If so, you will LOVE children of men! Just got back from it and it's the most depressing movie I've ever seen.

I'm still not sure whether I liked it, but I'm definately glad I saw it. :D

Huo Yuan Jia
Aka Jet Li's Fearless

My dad acquired a copy on DVD. Unfortunately it didn't have English subtitles so I had to quickly remember as much Mandarin as I could. Thankfully it's pretty light on the dialogue so I could figure out what was going on. But then, who watches martial arts films for the story?

Jet Li plays Huo Yuan Jia, Chinese martial arts hero and one of the founders of the Jin Wu academy. (His ego's really showing in this one ;)) The film is loosely based Huo's life, from his childhood training, his rise to fame and finally his tragic death.

While the fight choreography is superb, the action dies off around half way. I actually thought the fights up until this point were the best parts of the movie. Once again, Li's ego shows as the next chapter shows off the sort of serious acting he's retiring from martial arts films for. He has about three lines in this chapter. He also gets a hot girlfriend too. That said, there is some good, if not cliched character development here, which is not often seen in this genre.

The action picks up in the final chapter, however I found these scenes to be a bit disappointing compared to the first half. It's partly because the actors that play his opponents aren't Chinese martial artists' and partly because there are fewer fights. The final chapter feels rushed and should have featured more on the start of the Jin Wu academy than jumping from scene to scene hinting what fights are coming up. The film comes to an abrupt, yet fitting end.

Overall, Fearless is a more serious take on the martial arts genre in the vein of Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. It should have been more than it was but it's still watchable and re-watchable. You might like to skip over the boring bits after you've seen them once though.

3.5/5

I saw The Departed the other day. It was OK but the ending had no impact at all and people in the cinema were actually laughing through a lot of it. The last scene was pure cheese. Lame. Other than that, nice.

3/5

^^^
you know american cinema is in trouble when even scorsese is ripping off asian films

haha I was pretty drunk when I wrote that Depated review, hence why it was so detailed and insightful. ;)

Tonight I saw Suburban Mayhem which I loved simply because it was so entertaining. The main character, Kat, is an awesome creation. I know I really should have hated her because she was the devil incarnate but I couldn't help but love her. Towards the end I was starting to think the plot was really familiar and then I realised the story is almost identical to a real murder case in Wollongong involving a killer called Mark Valera. Anyway, this movie is so Australian and you've got to love it for that.

"I can't believe you took the Charger! You know I don't even drive the Charger!"

Doppelganger said:
Do you enjoy feeling depressed?

If so, you will LOVE children of men! Just got back from it and it's the most depressing movie I've ever seen.

I'm still not sure whether I liked it, but I'm definately glad I saw it. :D

Pretty much.

I'm not sure I agree with the 9/10 reviews that I read of it, but it's certainly a thought-provoking piece of cinema.

I have to say though... I really do not like the hand held camera technique. If it's meant to be giving a realistic, gritty effect, all it does is give me a headache.

Pan's Labyrinth / El Laberinto del Fauno

Long ago, before reality TV and abhorrent mindless broadcasting, people used to tell each other stories. Magical, wonderful stories, full of fairies, trolls and adventure. Things would get eaten, people would run in fear, walls would move and beasts of pure imagination would run rampant - guiding a young hero or heroine near and far.

Entire cultures have come and gone through the legacy of stories, most of Africa's native tribes simply pass their history from generation to generation through words and it seems our 'modern' world is bereft of these wonderful tales.

But I tell you, go see 'Pan's Labyrinth'. Spanish in origin, it is passionate and alive, ferocious, violent and mystical. Stories like this do not get told around our modern fires, and they should, if you have the chance to pass your legacy to a child, bring them into this world surrounded with tales of fantasy, the classics of our generation, read to them, inspire them.

From a clinical perspective, Pan's Labyrinth is extremely well shot; the story is tight, winding and eye opening. The true power of imagination is juxtaposed with the absolute mania of a deeply violent soul, and from this mix a kingdom of pure imagination spills out.

More then a movie, an experience to cherish - 9.5 out of 10.

Youtube Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5d4f1nyLgg

NB: This is an adult fairytale, it is intense. Watch it before taking kids.

Now showing at Cinema Nova, Lygon Street.​

Last edited:
^^^ i read a really good article about that film in the paper a few weeks ago. it sound very interesting.

i saw stranger than fiction the other night, and it was ok. however the ending proved that its just another in the long line of hollywood money making movies, set out to please, rather than make people question or think, which was disappointing.

there's some good actors in it, though; like dustin hoffman, maggie gyllenhaal, and emma thompson which helped breath some life into it and made it enjoyable enough to watch. will ferrel, of course, also stars. however this time he takes on a semi serious role instead of his usual: comedian/ goofball/ crazy motherfucker parts that he plays. and he did a fair job, except there were a few instances when you kinda knew that what you were watching wasn't quite meant to be funny, but nonetheless if you looked around and took note, you'd have found most of the audience were giggling at him under their breaths.

2 1/2 stars.

up all night said:
I saw The Departed the other day. It was OK but the ending had no impact at all and people in the cinema were actually laughing through a lot of it. The last scene was pure cheese. Lame. Other than that, nice.

3/5

It does have a Dropkick Murphys song in it though which should automatically raise your score to at least 4 :)

I'm shipping up to Boston whoa!

Last edited:
kryalkastleE said:
i went and saw KENNY last night.
what a great aussie film. i thought that it would be a bit disapointing but it was an absolute cracker. KENNY character is so loveable, its like a mock doco on a guy who cleans toilets.

SUPPORT AUSSIE CINEMA PEOPLE!!!

This film was fantastic and clearly the Australian movie of the year. Almost knocks off Spinal Tap as the best mocumentary ever. =D

it goes to 11.

I watched The Circle last night which was great. It was about a group of women in Iran - some recently released from prison, a woman who had had a baby girl instead of a boy and was therefore unwanted as well as a lady seeking an abortion. There are no real back stories, no explanations, and the details of their life are kept very vague which allows your imagination to fill in the details. The story moves from person to person unexpectantly and if you're the sort of person who likes conclusions or things to be tied up neatly this is definitely not the movie for you. You know nothing when you begin and you walk away with a million questions.

What struck me (which was, I suppose, the point) is the utter helplessness of all these women and the difficulties they faced in trying to start a new life. Iran is such a repressive society. Women are gaoled for almost no reason at all and are afforded few basic rights. They aren't permitted to travel alone and aren't even allowed to smoke on the street. Such a minor detail but one which really did exemplify the extent to which women are kept under control.

I think the reason I liked it is because it wasn't some kind of pro-women, anti-Islam movie - it was just showing life the way it is for these women. The similarities are striking. It breaks your heart.

There is some (subtle as a sledgehammer) symbolism and the notion of the circle is carried right throughout the film in terms of plot and set design. I thought the most impressive scene in the movie was the opening one. It was one very long shot that had to have gone for 3 or 4 minutes. I watched it a couple of times - very impressive.

I don't know who I would recommend this to because it's definitely not for everyone but I give it four stars.

lostpunk5545 said:
It does have a Dropkick Murphys song in it though which should automatically raise your score to at least 4 :)

I'm shipping up to Boston whoa!

by that logic cameron crowe makes the best films ever ;)

EPIC MOVIE is one of the shitest movies I have ever seen. Noone go see it. You have been warned.

It doesnt deserve a detailed review. 0 stars.

You'll have to explain Silvia, what's Cameron Crowe got to do with the DKM?

I'm clueless...