• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Movie Reviews Part 3 - The good, the bad and the ... rentals

Strangely enough a doco about Bumfights is showing on Foxtel of late, Bumfights; A video too far http://ftvdb.bfi.org.uk/sift/title/791162

Just saw an ad for it not too long ago. I remember being at Gleep's place years ago when he wanted to show us Bumfights (original one). We watched it, hmm well 10-20 minutes of it when we forced him to stop it. It was just CRAP. Seen tons more "hardcore" stuff than this, it was basically just crap to watch. Not sure if I've been desynthesized from seeing too much stuff like this (used to have to do tape trading back in the days before the net was around to get this, like in 80s + early 90s but now it's easy as to see/obtain "hardcore stuff" now. Just watch ogrish.com, rotten.com, bmezine.com or whatever now to get lots of hardcore stuff to see. But anyway, we just thought it was more crap + boring than anything. Each to their own I guess. :)

I used to peruse rotten.com back in the day when it was all pictures. I can't imagine the general fucked-upness now that videos are easily streamed :)

kids give me the excuse to see movies I otherwise wouldn't

Yep - thanks to my 4yo I have seen TMNT twice - and it's OK! The pacing sucks, but the animation looks good and the fight choreography is quite acceptable. There is a sequel teaser at the end so I've just gotta keep my boys turtle-riffic for another coupla years so I can see that one too :)

Watched another coupla dvds over the weekend:

Brick - Was pretty good, had the kid outta 3rd Rock From The Sun in it. Quite enjoyed it. At times it hard to understand the lingo used but still really cool. Basically about a kid who investigates the death of his ex girlfriend by getting right in and about behind the scenes of the high school social groups. The interactions and lingo is almost kinda Bogart-esque. Some good twists and kept me guessing til the end.

The Matador - Nothing special, just entertaining. Has Pierce Brosnan and Greg Kinnear in it. Brosnan is a hitman who has a mental breakdown and meets Kinnear, who is struggling businessman. Then its kind of a buddy movie. Pretty entertaining, a few nice underlying messages and you could get all deep about it but meh not really.

The Prestige - Another one that I thought wasn't bad but nothing spectacular. Liked how it drew in a few bits and pieces of historical facts and the twist at the end was pretty big and all that but I also thought part of the twist was kinda lame. I won't say what aspect for those who haven't seen it.

Ive seen a few films recently...

TMNT... I liked it a lot. But I'm immature, and have always been a fan of the turtles. Some people would find it childish (probably most).

300... fucking awesome!! 9/10

Sunshine... not quite what I was expecting, but a good sci fi film. Excellent special effects and good story line. Enjoyable. 7/10

Sunshine was actually good? From the trailer I assumed it was an absolute piece of shit.

From the ads I think the new turtles movie would just make me angry. Old school turtles all the way :)

I recently watched a pretty old movie, Wild At Heart. It was pretty good but very disturbing in places. Screw you Willem Dafoe.

The storyline for Sunshine sounds so implausibly ludicrous I think I'll give it a miss. The review I read was in New Scientist but they did also make the point that there was no characters in the movie worthy of emotional involvement either. I recognise that it is Sci-Fi but I like my Sci Fi more distant from reality I guess. I didn't like Deep Impact or anything like that, I prefer things like Bladerunner and Event Horizon.

spent the easter holidays watching sopranos seasons 1-5.

any other tv series that addictive ?

vanth said:
Sunshine was actually good? From the trailer I assumed it was an absolute piece of shit.
Yeah it was alright. As I mentioned it wasn't quite what I was expecting. I also saw the trailer and thought it looked stupid, but it was better than I thought it would be.

EnergizerBunny said:
spent the easter holidays watching sopranos seasons 1-5.

Ive heard good things about Heroes. Im yet to start watching though.

Heroes = best show on television atm
Especially after the time skip of the last episode

^ heroes is great but I work wednesday nights & keep having vcr stuff ups

lostpunk - I also am oldskool turtles fan since 80s but I thought movie was OK - but then again I have very low standards...

...except for spiderman movies - are they shithouse or what?? Sam Raimi gets the big thumbs down for worst cult-director-goes-mainstream effort ever. S1 was just shit, S2 was slightly better, and I have very low expectations of S3 - saw the movie show review last night and I'm with Margaret on this one. The plot looks ripped from the quite cool (well - my son thinks so - I've seen it about 800 times now so I can't really tell anymore...) spiderman v. venom animation that you can get from your local video shop

Anyone see Zatoichi on SBS last night? What a hoot! Great combination of thought-provoking social themes and gob-smackingly brutal swordplay

^^what?
isn't that what all the spiderman movies have been? adaptations of comics?

ayjay said:
^ heroes is great but I work wednesday nights & keep having vcr stuff ups

lostpunk - I also am oldskool turtles fan since 80s but I thought movie was OK - but then again I have very low standards...

...except for spiderman movies - are they shithouse or what?? Sam Raimi gets the big thumbs down for worst cult-director-goes-mainstream effort ever. S1 was just shit, S2 was slightly better, and I have very low expectations of S3 - saw the movie show review last night and I'm with Margaret on this one. The plot looks ripped from the quite cool (well - my son thinks so - I've seen it about 800 times now so I can't really tell anymore...) spiderman v. venom animation that you can get from your local video shop

Anyone see Zatoichi on SBS last night? What a hoot! Great combination of thought-provoking social themes and gob-smackingly brutal swordplay

yeah zatoichi was awesome. if u like samuari shows i thnk twilight samurai is pretty good as well. not that much action but very good storyline.

middle finger said:
Ive heard good things about Heroes. Im yet to start watching though.

i have been trying to follow the heroes series on tv but for some wierd reason i always miss the crucial episodes.

managed to catch the episode last night but alot of things didnt make sense to me as i missed out on alot of earlier episodes.

guess i'll have to wait for blockbuster then.

MoeBro said:
^^what?
isn't that what all the spiderman movies have been? adaptations of comics?

True - but that's not my beef. Spidey is meant to be a wizecrakkin smartarse, and Sam Raimi does good smartarse (army of darkness anyone???) - but in these movies spidey is toooo sssooofffttttt...

EnergizerBunny said:

Watch "Deadwood", it's easily one of the best television series ever made. "Carnivale" is another wicked series (though sadly, it's now been canceled),rent it, it's certainly more than worth the watch...

Sadly Entourage which WAS the best TV show we had seen in a long time has nose dived big time since re-starting in 2007 :(

The only shows that I've watched and recommend are "Jericho", it's a hit and miss though, most episodes are good to brilliant but there were some crap to average episodes in it as well.

The 'New' Doctor Who continues it's brilliance and it's been great to warch since it was "reborn" not too long ago. Also the spin off "Torchwood" was good at the start, if not awesome but it seemed to lose it's way - It seemed the creators ran out of their creative juices and the last few episodes were total crap.

Not much else that we have watched to call "Must see TV". I'm glad we get all the shows we like from the internet so we aren't stuck on a programmers schedule to watch what we like when they want. Foxtel I.Q is a good idea (Which is basically VIVO/TIVO I think) so at least if you resort to watching shows on broadcast tv, you can watch what you like when you like :D

Enough with the TV stuff instead of movies from here :)

ayjay said:
True - but that's not my beef. Spidey is meant to be a wizecrakkin smartarse, and Sam Raimi does good smartarse (army of darkness anyone???) - but in these movies spidey is toooo sssooofffttttt...

if ya a army of darkness fan, you shuld be a fan of bruce campell as wel. he was actually casted in spider2 :p

oh a serious note, i cant believe how sam grew from a b grade movie director to a top notch hollywood director.